Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Accomodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Any Goldsmith tips? Moving in this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Any Goldsmith tips? Moving in this weekend.
    I've lived in goldsmith twice. They're really not bad digs. It's just that the lighting, cement brick walls and choice of colours makes it feel very asylum-like.
    If you want to make the living/kitchen area even remotely habitable get a cheap lamp or two (Xmas lights work too) and throw something up on the walls. A blanket on the contraceptive furniture also works. And don't use a chair as a tv stand.

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I've lived in goldsmith twice. They're really not bad digs. It's just that the lighting, cement brick walls and choice of colours makes it feel very asylum-like.
    If you want to make the living/kitchen area even remotely habitable get a cheap lamp or two (Xmas lights work too) and throw something up on the walls. A blanket on the contraceptive furniture also works. And don't use a chair as a tv stand.

Nice! Thanks.

Anyone know what the deal is with moving into rooms early? I have approval to move into Goldsmith tomorrow, but what should I actually do? Just go up to the security desk, show them my student card, and get a room key? Or is there more to it than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I was planning on going to the accommodation office (but since I'm moving into Front Square, that's incredibly little additional effort).

• Advertisement

Thought they were only open Monday to Friday though? Do they change that for this weekend?

Edit: Called them, they are indeed open this weekend.

Yeah I walked in today, they're open 10-18 tomorrow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

How are you being charged for moving in early? Or are you even being charged at all? Want to get into my room as soon as possible

I don't pay a charge - Scholar. :D

Standard charges for campus are here: http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/StudentsandStaff/Students/Campus/Rates/

You need approval from the Accommodation Office to move in early. Go there and fill out a form explaining why you need to.

I don't pay a charge - Scholar. :D.
    You would think. Utilities charges have graduated to ridiculous at this stage

Currently being charged 300 odd euro for the summer... you know when we don't use heating.

• Advertisement

I don't pay a charge - Scholar. :D
    You've to pay (something miniscule) for utilities still though, don't you?

You've to pay (something miniscule) for utilities still though, don't you?

Yes. But it really is miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Anyone know what the deal is with moving into rooms early? I have approval to move into Goldsmith tomorrow, but what should I actually do? Just go up to the security desk, show them my student card, and get a room key? Or is there more to it than that?

Go to the accommodation office Front Square and they will issue you with a key and an envelope with some paperwork you must read and return the inventory page

Yes. But it really is miniscule.
    If you were staying the whole year it works out ~€900. That's hardly minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

i think the "something miniscule" is the utility bill for the extra few days, not the €900 for the year.

Damn context, I was having a good vent there...

Wait til they start holding double deposits and sending you capricious invoices. Or giving you a week notice to change room, ignoring your multiple emails stating that you can't move because you're not in the bloody country and proceeding to send people to clean out your room.

You'll see why I take any excuse to moan about them...

Damn context, I was having a good vent there...

Wait til they start holding double deposits and sending you capricious invoices. Or giving you a week notice to change room, ignoring your multiple emails stating that you can't move because you're not in the bloody country and proceeding to send people to clean out your room.

You'll see why I take any excuse to moan about them...

Can't WAIT to move in on Wednesday! :D

I have the most gigantic common room ever, this is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Will have to have a House 2 party sometime! Its savage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Brods wrote: »
    Will have to have a House 2 party sometime! Its savage :D

That's number 2. Not "house" 2.

Also, Trinity is a college, not a "campus".

• Advertisement

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    That's number 2. Not "house" 2.

Also, Trinity is a college, not a "campus".
    Being overly pedantic with archaic semantics is a pretty immature pastime. The numbers are widely known and referred to as house 1, 2 etc. (even officially, see tcd.ie/maps). Also the land occupied by the bulk of the college fits well with the definition of a campus. Its usage is correct.

Please in future refrain from irrelevant diatribe.

Being overly pedantic with archaic semantics is a pretty immature pastime. The numbers are widely known and referred to as house 1, 2 etc. (even officially, see tcd.ie/maps). Also the land occupied by the bulk of the college fits well with the definition of a campus. Its usage is correct.

Please in future refrain from irrelevant diatribe.

Questionable.

And back on topic we go...

So, the accommodation is actually pretty great. More space than I'd thought, a decent-sized bed, and a nice location. Me likey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Anyone else feel like they have FAR too much stuff than what can possibly fit in the rooms?! I have one big box of books alone, plus a huge suitcase/bags for clothes, shoes etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

gutenberg wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like they have FAR too much stuff than what can possibly fit in the rooms?! I have one big box of books alone, plus a huge suitcase/bags for clothes, shoes etc....

That doesn't sound like all that much... they're not THAT tiny.

4 boxes of books and counting...

I made a point to bring as few books as possible. That being said, I have a lot more storage space than I need.

I'm bringing very little... kinda planning on buying a lot of new stuff once I get all moved in. I'm sure we'll all end up filling the storage space over the next few months anyways.

gutenberg wrote: »

"rooms"? More like dog kennel. Unfortunately, this isn't the 19th century.

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    "rooms"? More like dog kennel. Unfortunately, this isn't the 19th century.

Em, where are you living? My room's actually larger than I expected.

• Advertisement

I brought 2 boxes of books/random pages, one of which fit into one of 6 shelving spots, and the other one is still on the floor... mostly due to laziness. I was worried I'd have way too much stuff, but it's fairly grand really. I don't mind stuff being on the floor so I'm barely using the shelves. I have to climb onto my chair to use them anyway. >.<

Advertisement