Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A few questions about Gym's in town over last page or two.

I'm a member of Iveagh Fitness in town, in between Christchurch and St Patrick's http://www.iveaghfitness.ie/

Its a nice big gym, with a pool and plenty of space for the cardio machines and the weights stuff. I have never done the classes, but they sound active :D

Small bit expensive maybe, at in or around €700 a year - but I virtually live next door, so suits me fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Really getting annoyed with Carlisle, the amount of fools running around leaving weights everywhere and thinking theyre the shít and have invisible lat syndrome. Could anyone recomment a gym close enough to Templeogue where I wouldn't really get this problem? There is never any free benches or machines either. Bear in mind that I'm 17, don't have a car and would probably be bus'ing it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

Hey Oisinjm

I just joined Jackie Skellys in nutgrove and i have to say im really impressed with the gym, i mostly use weights and am gonna try getting back into the swimming (currently have a torn patella tendon) so thats the best/only thing i can do on my legs, the gym seems very clean and i have to say i find the staff quiet friendly. doesnt seem to be any posers there at all but the first night i went in i got a few stare's off people but that doesnt bother me...im there to lift weights not to look at other people. u shud try and go down for a trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Garoid6

Thinking of joining Carlisle, but is it true it's overrun by brats during the school holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dan2

Have got fed up waiting for the Kingsley in Cork to reopen. Can anyone recommend a gym in Cork that has good facilities but isn't too intimidating? Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Really getting annoyed with Carlisle, the amount of fools running around leaving weights everywhere and thinking theyre the shít and have invisible lat syndrome. Could anyone recomment a gym close enough to Templeogue where I wouldn't really get this problem? There is never any free benches or machines either. Bear in mind that I'm 17, don't have a car and would probably be bus'ing it ;)

Westpark Fitness in Tallaght is pretty decent, good range of free weights and machines, only 1 squat rack though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

dan2 wrote: »
    Have got fed up waiting for the Kingsley in Cork to reopen. Can anyone recommend a gym in Cork that has good facilities but isn't too intimidating? Any advice appreciated.

the good old mardyke is where i train. can get very busy though. the locker room on washington street is good too, was there for a while when the mardyke was destroyed after the floods. small, but plenty of equipment and not too busy usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dan2

Parsley wrote: »
    the good old mardyke is where i train. can get very busy though. the locker room on washington street is good too, was there for a while when the mardyke was destroyed after the floods. small, but plenty of equipment and not too busy usually.

Thanks. I plan on calling to some during the week. Gonna look at Jury's and the Planet in Blackpool as well as these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Thanks. I plan on calling to some during the week. Gonna look at Jury's and the Planet in Blackpool as well as these.

looked at jury's before, when the mardyke was flooded. can't remember exactly what equipment but I remember not being impressed at all and not joining it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

called TF just there to inquire about prices.

Called the number on the site and asked to be put through to the member ship office and was then asked what was it in connection with :rolleyes:

anyways i kinda lost interest in re joining from that point, but its 400e was the best they could do for me as an adult and 344 as a student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

Got a new bench, leg ext, preacher curl etc as a pressie.

No need for joining a gym for me. Money well saved in the end

Everything i need all in my back garden(shed).

All i need now is a few more 10kg weight plates and im set up for the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TechnoPool wrote: »
    anyways i kinda lost interest in re joining from that point, but its 400e was the best they could do for me as an adult and 344 as a student.

I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

the oriel house gym in Ballincollig is good and there is a new section about to open which will make it excellent and one of the biggest gyms around..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

called TF just there to inquire about prices.

Called the number on the site and asked to be put through to the member ship office and was then asked what was it in connection with :rolleyes:

What TF did you enquire about? I am interested in the Malahide Rd branch so can I assume that I can get it for €400?

thats the one i was on about yeah, its 495 normally i think i was just tryin to haggle and 400e was the best they could offer.

branners69 wrote: »
    What TF did you enquire about? I am interested in the Malahide Rd branch so can I assume that I can get it for €400?

If you get it for 400 grab it I'd say. But make sure your on that rate for next year and they're not going to sting you for the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

I was a member in TF from when it first opened. Went to look for a family membership recently (2 adults 2 kids 3 & 4) was €1004.

I asked what the extra was if I paid monthly by direct debit. Price is €214 plus 11 monthly installments of €110 - total of €1424:eek:

I thought kids under 7 were free???? And only wanted to take them to the pool

Don`t think I`ll be renewing, but it`s a nice gym since they cleaned it up a bit.

I am currently in Northwood (really nice) and paid €165 for year one. It goes up to €350 in year 2.

What are the no go times for TF on the Malahide Rd during the week?

Is it jammers at the weekend?

What are the no go times for TF on the Malahide Rd during the week?

Is it jammers at the weekend?

Depends on what your looking for, but its rarely too crowded and I find it dead at the weekends.

Depends on what your looking for, but its rarely too crowded and I find it dead at the weekends.

they seem to have removed both studio's up in north wood or at least moved them, it gives the free weights area a lot more room and dosent feel like your on top of everyone.

• Advertisement

Am interested in cardio, free weights and swimming. Is the evenings a no go for these things, ie 5pm to 8pm?

Am interested in cardio, free weights and swimming. Is the evenings a no go for these things, ie 5pm to 8pm?

You'll be fine.. And from 5pm to 8pm TF is The Danger Zone :p (do a search ;) )

You'll be fine.. And from 5pm to 8pm TF is The Danger Zone :p (do a search ;) )

Nice one, thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 josephtoole

I've been to Finglas Gym, Sportslink and DCU and I have to say DCU is the best by a wide margin. Finglas is simply too small, offering very little quantity and varierity, Sportslink is larger but isn't much better.

DCU usually has two of every machine, and offers a huge cardio room. Also has a seperate free weights room, and if you are a GAA or a professional footballer, it offers a high performance room and swimming facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone been to power house gym in Mallow Co Cork yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

they seem to have removed both studio's up in north wood or at least moved them, it gives the free weights area a lot more room and dosent feel like your on top of everyone.

yup, they tucked it away in a room past the upstairs drinking fountain. Much more room since doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I was thinking of joining Carlisle Gym. Is there that much of a problem using the benchpress, squats bars and dumbbell bars during peek hours, like 6-7pm? Like how long would you be waiting?

Also somebody told me that they are taking out the swimming pool and putting more equipment there, is this true?

The Carlisle isn't half as bad as everybody here is making out. Sure it is busy but i go down 4 days as week at peak times i.e between 6 and 8 and i have had no problems watsoever. The squat racks (three of them) are normally free with the vast majority of fellas pumping their biceps in front of the mirrors. Regarding the carido equipment again i have never had to queue for anything at all. If you are happy to mix up your programme you will get through what you have to do without any issues at all.
    Great gym in my opinion. But as said before i have heard the staff can be a bit rude. I have never had to have dealings with them in fairness but this is what i have been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Any genuine opinions on Ben dunne Lucan? I.e. not a be employee like the previous posts. Had a quick look last night, nothing fancy, just the gym without the extras, but it is dirt cheap. Any problems with the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

I'm a member of Simply Fitness gym in Milltown. This gym seems to target people who want to get in and get the job done without any of the fancy shiz (no pool or sauna etc.). It's not the biggest but has a good selection of weights, core studio and a small cardio area. It's cheap aswell as been contract free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Justin10

I live in Blanchardstown, so westpoint and totalfitness major gyms, what the prices now adays, was a member of westpoint for a few years but hated how it was so crowed. Is TF like that?

Advertisement