Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

On a standard fereguson hd combination box I've found utv Ireland sd but the only hd utv Ireland hd I can find is scrambled.

Are sky/upc claiming exclusivety for hd??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Well the MD of UTV might have wanted the change at 7pm but it's already occurred ( on analogue at least ) by 610am

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

At a guess, I'd assume UTV NI will be replaced by UTV I on the UPC epg. If they go on Sky, would they want/need to encrypt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

its encrypted on astra for sky just like RTE is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

doubie wrote: »
    At a guess, I'd assume UTV NI will be replaced by UTV Ireland

It has already happened. Although UTV NI stayed on after 1:40am, it was gone by this morning. UTV Ireland promo reel now airing on 110.

There's a countdown at the top of the screen to launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

icdg wrote: »
    It has already happened. Although UTV NI stayed on after 1:40am, it was gone by this morning. UTV Ireland promo reel now airing on 110.

Best morning TV I have seen on UTV in years

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MadSham

Can anyone confirm if you have to have the Sky HD pack to view UTV Ireland HD? Thanks Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MadSham

MadSham wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if you have to have the Sky HD pack to view UTV Ireland HD? Thanks Guys

Sorry guys should've said I'm on Sky variety pack without HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

MadSham wrote: »

Yes.

Is it in HD on UPC ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is it HD on saorview?

Is it HD on saorview?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

galtee boy wrote: »
    No.

Well that's shocking to say the least.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Is it in HD on UPC ?

Yes, Channel 110 for Horizon and channel 138 for everyone else. Should also mention that, at least at the moment, its available to non-HD subscribers as UTV HD was, unlike the position on Sky and eVision.

Yes, Channel 110 for Horizon and channel 138 for everyone else. Should also mention that, at least at the moment, its available to non-HD subscribers as UTV HD was, unlike the position on Sky and eVision.

Some consolation at least. But if I was a UPC customer, I would be mad. The four UK terrestrial channels have been on cable in Ireland for many a long year and now one of them is being taken away. UTVI is not a simulcast of UTV. It's a different channel. We in satellite land were the poor relations all along, because we didn't have UTV/ITV on the Sky EPG and had to go through the cumbersome Other Channels menu, but at least we still have that facility and can get a Freesat box, if we want UTV/ITV on the EPG. But now if cable is your only option, you can't see UTV/ITV anymore. As I said , it would p**s me off big time, if I had no choice other than UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

Slightly off the topic Sky News I feel is a news channel for British News and for British interests only.
    (Not that I have anything against the British with some of my best friends being British).

However I think the news on Sky News really has little or no relevance to Irish people.
    I can remember there was a Sky News Ireland Channel about 7-10 years ago but it unfortunately didn't last. Obviously not enough viewers hence revenue from advertising.

For this I think airports, department stores, bars or other establishments that show it should just switch to another news channel with more international relevance.

ricardo1 wrote: »
    Slightly off the topic Sky News I feel is a news channel for British News and for British interests only.
    (Not that I have anything against the British with some of my best friends being British).

However I think the news on Sky News really has little or no relevance to Irish people.
    I can remember there was a Sky News Ireland Channel about 7-10 years ago but it unfortunately didn't last. Obviously not enough viewers hence revenue from advertising.

For this I think airports, department stores, bars or other establishments that show it should just switch to another news channel with more international relevance.

Goodness me!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Goodness me!

I'm only saying I think it would be jolly good if Sky News showed a tad more Irish news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Brian017

I presume not all of their HD programmes are tagged as being in HD yet. There's only the soaps tagged in HD as of yet, if thats the extent of their HD output its a tad underwhelming

No more Sky News please, its completely irrelevant to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

These are just photos of two TVs showing the countdown clock today, but notice how on Saorview part of the U on the top left corner is missing - compared to the HD version on UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

These are just photos of two TVs showing the countdown clock today, but notice how on Saorview part of the U on the top left corner is missing - compared to the HD version on UPC

On my Saorview I can see the U in the top left corner fine. Try changing the aspect ratio of the channel to "just scan", "1:1" or "Native". It might have defaulted to 16:9 or something and its cut off?

On my Saorview I can see the U in the top left corner fine. Try changing the aspect ratio of the channel to "just scan", "1:1" or "Native". It might have defaulted to 16:9 or something and its cut off?

Thanks for that. I've tried all the various settings but can't get it corrected. Unfortunately I don't have Saorview on the TV where I have UPC.

Brian017 wrote: »
    I presume not all of their HD programmes are tagged as being in HD yet. There's only the soaps tagged in HD as of yet, if thats the extent of their HD output its a tad underwhelming

Sky's on-line tv guide indicates that all today's programmes are in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

they should have thought a bit "outside the box" and recognised that there will be some viewers in the Republic who will miss certain staple programmes like the itv News from the studios of ITN in London.

You can't have a national tv station in the Republic of Ireland giving "national" news from London.

What should they do - show UK national news before telling us they are switching to our region for local news? How well do you think that would go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Sky's on-line tv guide indicates that all today's programmes are in HD

Pretty sure that guide puts the HD tag on everything that's on a HD channel, no matter the source material.

The full U is now visible. Looks like they moved it a bit!

UK national news is still available from the BBC, Channel 4, and Sky News. While I'll miss ITN, particularly at General election time, it is not what it once was. It suffered a massive quality decrease after the 1999 changes and arguably never recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can't have a national tv station in the Republic of Ireland giving "national" news from London.

What should they do - show UK national news before telling us they are switching to our region for local news? How well do you think that would go down?

I don't think anyone is expecting UTV Ireland to broadcast ITN news.

Given that the traditional UPC/Cablelink package was the Irish channels plus the 4 main UK terrestrial channels, I would like them to continue providing precisely that.

Give us a version of ITV1 separate from UTV Ireland. They are not the same television stations.

• Advertisement

Out of interest can you add UTV Ireland under 'other channels' on a Sky HD box? If so do you know what the parameters are for it?

I read over on Digital Spy that the HD version can be viewed with a UK card .. presumably this is a UK HD subscription and I also presume that this will be corrected soon. The SD version is encrypted. I don't have the frequency to hand but it's in this thread somewhere.

Advertisement