Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Families that earn €100k are ‘struggling’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

A family earning 100k probably see 5k per month after tax/pension. Both parents working.
    Bought a house during the boom? 2k goes on the mortgage.
    2 kids in creche? 1.8k goes on the creche.
    Take out 100 for tv/broadband/phone, allow another 200 for electric and gas, another 200 for VHI and you end up with 500 left over.

Yes, its a lot more than some families have to spare, but earning 100k does not mean you are rich.

You forgot the servants pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

You forgot the servants pay.

Jobs bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I see on a daily basis here the damage that such high rates are doing to companies, employees and ergo the tax payer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

flutered wrote: »
    what about a couple on disibility, @213 per week for the two, the add the lpt, plus whathever your having yourself, no comparisson is there.

I never said people on disability were not struggling? What I said was that a lot of people on 100k are not wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

flutered wrote: »
    what about a couple on disibility, @213 per week for the two, the add the lpt, plus whathever your having yourself, no comparisson is there.

I can't make the rates here add up to €213 for a couple, either both disabled, or one disabled with an adult dependant. They should be getting a lot more.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html#l62fd2

They should be getting €376 if they are both disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

A family earning 100k probably see 5k per month after tax/pension. Both parents working.
    Take out 100 for tv/broadband/phone, allow another 200 for electric and gas, another 200 for VHI and you end up with 500 left over.

Yes, its a lot more than some families have to spare, but earning 100k does not mean you are rich.

Yes but it's more than me so tax them more! 90%! I won't be happy on the millionaires on 100k are worse off than me. Then I can schadenfreude it all the way to the dole office on my 35k tax free income per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's a great country to work in for graduates but if you want to progress your career and have your salary reflect that you better look elsewhere.

Is it even worth earning 45k instead of 30k in this country if you take the stress of the higher paying job into account?

€1800 a month of earned income on creche fees is €414 a week. Depending on how much each is bringing home of that 5K it could be as well for one of them to give up work and save the creche fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Anyone that thinks that a 100k salary in Ireland makes you 'wealthy' really is out of touch with reality.

If it's a single person with no children or mortgage €100K is a lot. If it is a family with a big mortgage it might be a struggle. They could be worse off in real terms than a pensioner couple getting €460 a week with no mortgage and getting a medical card and free TV licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Noonan's salary is around €157,000 - of course he says families on €100,000 or more are struggling !!! Have you lot never heard of " vested interests " ??

Anyone that thinks that a 100k salary in Ireland makes you 'wealthy' really is out of touch with reality.
    Interesting opinion from someone who probably isn't even on the average industrial wage as Ronald McDonald doesn't pay much over minium wage to people like you who serve us our french fries and McShake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If they are struggling what are families on much lower wages doing? Amazing the same people in favour of property tax, water charges and anything else that affects lower earners disproportionately higher ect seem to think people on 100k are really struggling. A case of self preservation and looking after number one described as economic expertise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If they are struggling what are families on much lower wages doing? Amazing the same people in favour of property tax,

Is there anyone in favour of property tax??

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Interesting opinion from someone who probably isn't even on the average industrial wage as Ronald McDonald doesn't pay much over minium wage to people like you who serve us our french fries and McShake :)

;) Yeah, I'm very satisfied with my salary. Thanks for asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

bluewolf wrote: »

Noooooooooo you're going to start a bigger war... all the d1ckheads will come out of the woodwork now talking about how 'rich' people should pay up.

;) Yeah, I'm very satisfied with my salary. Thanks for asking.
    And don't forget the salt and ketchum while you are at it ;)

And don't forget the salt and ketchum while you are at it ;)

:rolleyes: Ironic, given that my salary is probably twice yours. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As stupid as his comments were boyd barrets and other populists suggestion for a wealth tax are equally absurd for the reasons Noonan stated people will simply up and leave as they can pay less tax elsewhere

VinLieger wrote: »
    As stupid as his comments were boyd barrets and other populists suggestion for a wealth tax are equally absurd for the reasons Noonan stated people will simply up and leave as they can pay less tax elsewhere
    So what, they can up and leave then so and there's plenty of young people better qualified and enthusiastic to take their places and pay the taxes regardless.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Ironic, given that my salary is probably twice yours. :D
    Ronald doesn't pay that well Walter :)

So what, they can up and leave then so and there's plenty of young people better qualified and enthusiastic to take their places and pay the taxes regardless.

Yes thats exactly how it works...... people on 100k already pay enough tax as it is punishing people cus they earn too much money is a regressive tax system

Ronald doesn't pay that well Walter :)

He does when you know the secret recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Abolish tax.

Now lets see how things work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes, tbh. It's a more equitable tax than income tax as it actually taxes wealth rather than income.

Between myself and my other half we'd earn a fair whack below the 100k but were she working outside the home we probably wouldn't be so far off it. For us, it doesn't make sense for the other half to work outside the home as she'd be paying pretty much her entire net salary (or more) to cover childcare and the various other costs of working.

Given that the mortgage on a decent home in Dublin is about 2k per month and childcare is going to cost another thousand or so (more if you've 2 or more kids) and when you add pension contributions, transport expenses, life/health/car/house insurance etc. and there's not a lot left.

Ireland's probably a great place to work if you're starting a career or happiest living childfree (though without the ties children bring, I'd be long gone tbh) but it requires a fairly massive household income to live an ordinary middle-class "3 bed semi in the suburbs / two cars / fortnight's holidays in France every summer" lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭RoboRat

€1800 a month of earned income on creche fees is €414 a week. Depending on how much each is bringing home of that 5K it could be as well for one of them to give up work and save the creche fees.

Short sighted solution. Perhaps, and I am just guessing here (actually I am not as both my wife and I work) both people have worked hard to get into a good job.

If one leaves said job for 3-4 years until the kid(s) in school, they don't just walk back into their old job. They may not even walk back into any job so its better to fork out the €400 odd a week in creche, keep your job and then when the kids are at school, return to some form of normality with some financial security. If people could take a 5 year career break they would, but you cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

kiffer wrote: »
    Only 14% of households have a gross income of 100k or higher...
    Clearly that's not the middle bracket.

Lies lies and damned statistics.

The average Ethiopian earns €2680 a year. Someone on minimum wage here earns that in about 8 weeks. I'm sure earning our minimum wage in Ethiopia would have you living like a god. But that's not because it's a high wage, it's because so many people are p!ss poor.

€100k isn't a colossal amount to earn. That only 14% of the population earns that here (especially in light of the enormous tax liability for someone on 100k) doesn't mean that the person on 100k is overpaid and should be fleeced more than they already are, it means that a lot of people aren't earning very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yes, tbh. It's a more equitable tax than income tax as it actually taxes wealth rather than income.

And if you inherited a big house that had taxes paid on it out of post-tax income, paid inheritance tax on it (from post tax income), and then had to try and fork out property tax on it even though you aren't wealthy at all...?
    I don't really see how it's more equitable and honestly it seems like govt taking every penny or may or may not have on any pretext at all

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If they are struggling what are families on much lower wages doing? Amazing the same people in favour of property tax, water charges and anything else that affects lower earners disproportionately higher ect seem to think people on 100k are really struggling. A case of self preservation and looking after number one described as economic expertise.

People are much lower wages get to bring home a lot more of their salary every month.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    People are much lower wages get to bring home a lot more of their salary every month.

There is such a huge misunderstanding of how the income tax system actually works

Advertisement