Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientific Proof and Memory

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses on this thread.

As a follow-on to the original assertion: "there is no scientific test to demonstrate that your memory is working properly," I have another question on knowledge for the A&A's.

From where does man's knowledge come? With respect to A&A's, am I correct in saying that all of man's knowledge comes via his senses?

By definition, A&A would not accept divine revelation. However, is there any A&A "loop-hole" so to speak that would argue otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

FISMA wrote: »
    From where does man's knowledge come? With respect to A&A's, am I correct in saying that all of man's knowledge comes via his senses?

In my opinion, no. The human mind can conceive in the abstract with no need for observation, or more simply, we have an imagination.

If you look at fields of study such as string theory and brane theory, they're largely abstract rather than observation based. The same is true of much in mathematics, and arguably artistic expression. This doesn't demand any external divinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

FISMA wrote: »
    So I ask: what is your scientific test to demonstrate that your memory is working properly?

Does it agree with the records, and failing that (because I'm not important enough to have my every word written doen), does it agree with what numerous independent recollections from others.

Oh, and pointing out that memory is faulty does nothing to shift the fact that the god hypothesis has no evidence for it.

Advertisement