Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Services Driving and Parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

The thing is lads no member out there would intentionally park in a disabled bay it just wouldnt happen unless they were in a hurry pulling up.. fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

garkane wrote: »
    The thing is lads no member out there would intentionally park in a disabled bay it just wouldnt happen unless they were in a hurry pulling up.. fact

I'm not sure that I share your trust in every single Garda out there. But either way, a quick letter to the local Supt should be to sort the matter without too much fuss or drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Why keep yacking on about it just do it, see where it will go, all the talking or posting in the world is not going to make a blind bit of difference, do you actually think for one moment with all the things happening all over the place, shooting, murders, muggings, assaults that a superintendent would have time to deal with such a trivial matter, dont forget one thing here, you have lots and lots of cars park in disable bays every day of the week, dont see anyone on here saying ohhh i took a photo of a car in a disabled bay or posting crap about them, and as we have said time and time again members of the emergency services are exempt from traffic regulations, get over it.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

bluetop wrote: »
    Why keep yacking on about it just do it, see where it will go, all the talking or posting in the world is not going to make a blind bit of difference, do you actually think for one moment with all the things happening all over the place, shooting, murders, muggings, assaults that a superintendent would have time to deal with such a trivial matter, dont forget one thing here, you have lots and lots of cars park in disable bays every day of the week, dont see anyone on here saying ohhh i took a photo of a car in a disabled bay or posting crap about them, and as we have said time and time again members of the emergency services are exempt from traffic regulations, get over it.!!

Have you never been over to the Motors board? There is an endless thread of photos taken of people parked in disabled bays or badly parked in standard bays. This is not restricted to Gardaí.

And if a Garda on duty is exempt from traffic regulations and, as suggested might be the case, was responding to an emergency, would he not just pull up adjacent to the door instead of manoeuvring in to the disabled space?

If he had to go and collect a statement or do something official which is not time critical, should he not use a normal space like the rest of the able-bodied?

I would hope that a Superintendent would give his time to investigate this as anything which undermines the public's confidence in AGS will have a negative impact on their investigation and future prevention of murders, muggings, shootings, assaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Why keep yacking on about it just do it, see where it will go
    Let's hope the OP does indeed report it.
    do you actually think for one moment with all the things happening all over the place, shooting, murders, muggings, assaults that a superintendent would have time to deal with such a trivial matter

I've complaint to a Supt twice in about ten years, once on a traffic matter (not dissimilar to this issue) and once on a breach of confidentiality. In both cases, I got a good hearing and a professional response from the Supt after it had been investigated.
    dont forget one thing here, you have lots and lots of cars park in disable bays every day of the week, dont see anyone on here saying ohhh i took a photo of a car in a disabled bay or posting crap about them
    Check out the 'obnoxious parking' thread in the Motors forum and you'll see lots and lots of drivers being called out for parking in disabled bays and elsewhere.

There is one disabled parking spot on my cycle commute. I report cars to the Dublin City Clampers for parking in that spot without a disabled pass about once a month. I've also reported cars to local security staff in shopping centres for abusing disabled bays.
    and as we have said time and time again members of the emergency services are exempt from traffic regulations, get over it.!!
    Isn't it funny how people often forget the important bit, i.e. members of the emergency services are exempt from traffic regulations in the performance of their duties. I'm sure this is just an oversight, and doesn't affect how they drive/park in the real world - right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Should your user name not be Serial Complainant then.. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

An Udaras wrote: »
    Should your user name not be Serial Complainant then.. :D
    Warning issued for this post. Remember to keep it on topic folks. Stick to the discussion, make your points, rebut others, but don't resort to getting personal.

No further comment on this post please and thanks.

Back on topic please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

PCPhoto wrote: »
    the only reason being that a shoplifter/robbery was taking place and the members left without a suspect so I would suggest they were not on official duty.

THEN YOU GO ON TO SAY

As I mentioned earlier I suspect they were on duty but were not called to the Garden Centre.... mainly because I cannot think of any other reason for them to be called to a garden centre other than a shoplifter or an attempted robbery.....the place in question has a large car-park so they should have been plenty of spaces for them to park in

Where did they leave from then so?
    Not everyone caught stealing is arrested..... Some times the store realises its a minimal value object and decides not to do anything.... But then again not everyone knows this either!!

would he not just pull up adjacent to the door instead of manoeuvring in to the disabled space?

I would hope that a Superintendent would give his time to investigate this as anything which undermines the public's confidence in AGS will have a negative impact on their investigation and future prevention of murders, muggings, shootings, assaults.

Terrontress nowehere has it said the garda driving the car manoeuvred into a disabled spot, it was already parked outside the shop when the op saw it... You make it sound like it was done on purpose
    You cant really think that if this "complaint" wasnt investigated fully the publics confidence in AGS to investiagte any serious crime would go down... Really? :rolleyes:

garkane wrote: »
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    the only reason being that a shoplifter/robbery was taking place and the members left without a suspect so I would suggest they were not on official duty.

THEN YOU GO ON TO SAY

As I mentioned earlier I suspect they were on duty but were not called to the Garden Centre.... mainly because I cannot think of any other reason for them to be called to a garden centre other than a shoplifter or an attempted robbery.....the place in question has a large car-park so they should have been plenty of spaces for them to park in

Where did they leave from then so?
    Not everyone caught stealing is arrested..... Some times the store realises its a minimal value object and decides not to do anything.... But then again not everyone knows this either!!

would he not just pull up adjacent to the door instead of manoeuvring in to the disabled space?

Terrontress nowehere has it said the garda driving the car manoeuvred into a disabled spot, it was already parked outside the shop when the op saw it... You make it sound like it was done on purpose
    You cant really think that if this "complaint" wasnt investigated fully the publics confidence in AGS to investiagte any serious crime would go down... Really? :rolleyes:

I think that the more people see Garda cars parked in disabled spaces at retail outlets and believe that they are there while buying something for their own use whilst on the clock, the more public's confidence in them as a whole goes down. This entire thread is testament to that. A way for a superintendent to restore some of that confidence is to ensure that when a complaint is received that it is correctly investigated and the results of such investigations are effectively communicated to the public at large.

As regards the manoeuvering in to a space, if the car is in a disabled space, there has been more effort put in to parking the car than simply pulling up closest to the entrance to the shop, which is what I'd expect if people or property were in immediate danger.

This entire thread is testament to that.

I think this entire thread is more a testament to the usual knockers of AGS. Sure how long has it been since the last bad parking thread? Why not complain about the crap sentences being given to people assaulting members of AGS in the course of their duty?

https://emergencyservicesforum.com/showthread.php?tid=4375

• Advertisement

foreign wrote: »
    This entire thread is testament to that.

I think this entire thread is more a testament to the usual knockers of AGS. Sure how long has it been since the last bad parking thread? Why not complain about the crap sentences being given to people assaulting members of AGS in the course of their duty?

https://emergencyservicesforum.com/showthread.php?tid=4375

Because it is an entirely different issue. This thread surrounds alleged misuse of disabled parking spaces.

It might shock you to learn those who complain about parking abuse by AGS also abhorr their assault.

Scumbags don't give a toss where they park.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is just going around and around and around and around. I sense there are more people out there who want this closed than there are want it left open.

This, along with "I saw someone with flashing red lights and was wondering..." have to be the two Whack-A-Mole threads that seem to pop up ad infinitum.

Thread closed.

Mod note:

I received a PM from Terrontress asking me to clarify her previous post (post #42) that she was not referring to members of An Garda Síochána as scumbags.

I am saying that scumbags, the likes of whom assaulted Gardaí in the link prior, do not care where members of AGS park.

Thanks to Terrontress for clarifying that because it completely changes the meaning of her final post in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement