Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Garret Fitzgerald has passed away

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

RIP

I was too young to remember his time in office, but I have developed a great respect for him through his considered opinions in the media. He is a great loss to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

He took part in an interview down in U.L only about 3 months ago, was amazed at all the notes he brought with him, very intellectual guy, just shows how quick things can change. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RIP Garret FitzGerald 1926-2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Was he in Dublin Castle last night for the Queen's dinner?

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RIP Dr Garrett Fitzgerald.

A man who tried to drag the country into the 20th century.

He may not have been a great politican, but that was because he actually stood for something and had principles so unlike his long time nemesis.
    Whos Garry Fitzgerald?
    Fago! wrote: »
    Sorry, but who is he?

It pains me that one of our most forward social thinking taoisigh is not known.
    So much for our civic and political education.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can I ask people to keep politics (positive and negative) out of this. There will be time enough to consider his political impact in due course... but the man died this morning and in my honest opinion, every person's passing should be respected. Thank you.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mprgst78

DeVore wrote: »
    Can I ask people to keep politics (positive and negative) out of this. There will be time enough to consider his political impact in due course... but the man died this morning and in my honest opinion, every person's passing should be respected. Thank you.

DeV.

I respectfully disagree. Why should the man not be judged? I believe he would be insulted if people were prevented from expressing their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I actually drove him briefly back in late February, lovely man. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

mprgst78 wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. Why should the man not be judged? I believe he would be insulted if people were prevented from expressing their opinions.

There's a thread already setup for discussion of FitzGerald's politics and legacy:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056273370

It's called "Garrett FitzGerald's Career & Political Legacy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mprgst78

gambiaman wrote: »
    There's a thread already setup for discussion of FitzGerald's politics and legacy:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056273370

It's called "Garrett FitzGerald's Career & Political Legacy"

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

RIP Garret - A great patriot and a great leader. It is genuinely a sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Truly sad to hear about Garret, a real gentleman and a reminder that politics wasn't always the murky business his successors have made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Very sad to hear; RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

RIP, a great loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Whos Garry Fitzgerald?
    Fago! wrote: »
    Sorry, but who is he?

What in world are they teaching in schools these days :eek:

R.I.P :( condolences to all his family and friends.A true gentleman, i was lucky enough to meet him a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

RIP.

I wish we had more politicians of his calibre.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rest in Peace, Garret Fitzgerald. Truly a big loss, and will be greatly missed by us all.

Heard this little quote today and gave a little chuckle inside;

Garret couldn’t tell a lie, Charlie couldn’t tell the truth and Bertie couldn’t tell the difference.

RIP Garret, and thanks for everything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

R.I.P.

A politician with real integrity, a scarce attribute these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

Rest in Peace Dr Fitzgerald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

DeVore wrote: »
    RIP.

The mods here and I were invited to Brussels a while back as you might recall and Mr Fitzgerald was on that trip. I was privileged enough to share a few meals with the man and we talked about Ireland of the 80s when I would have been a teen/student and he was Taoiseach.

I was staggered by the mans simple humanity, humility and his considerable intellect. He covered topics from economics to history to logic with consummate ease and grace. He was vibrantly alive and took joy in everything around him. I remember vividly we we deep in conversation about the impact Margret Thatcher when the soup arrived, and he looked at me with real joy in his eyes and said "ohhh, I *love* soup!" like a schoolboy who'd gotten a jelly & icecream desert.

I remember thinking "I hope when I'm 85, I've had a life like yours and can still take joy in the simple things in life, like soup."

God rest your soul Mr Fitzgerald, you were an astonishing man.

Tom.

What a lovely post.

I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Dr Fitzgerald on a number of occassions over the last fifteen years, he never forget who I was, always remembered that I had worked at Wembley on Live Aid, always suggested it was time to come back to Ireland and always said I had my hands full with five daughters.

He will be greatly missed. I do already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True gentleman and I always remember him being on Question Time on the BBC, must have been around the time of the divorce referendum in 95 as they asked him about it.

He said something along the lines of "as a romantic I don't believe in divorce, but as a realist divorce should be a reality". Reminds me of my Dad, a FF supporter but who liked and respected Garret, a gentleman recognising another.

Wouldn't have been a supporter of his at the time but Ireland could do with another reforming agenda of his time, I don't think we'll get it as it's all spin and market research these days.

RIP, you definitely did the state some service.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I like how Garret went to see Charlie Haughey in the weeks before Haughey died. I also like the stories where people talked about his huge intellect, but that he was humble and saw it as gift to inform and enlighten people rather than a weapon to diminish and belittle others as some intellectuals are fond of doing. It seems he did not merely stuff his cabinet with people whom he liked and shared the same worldview. That's one of the hallmarks of a true leader in my opinion. He'll have many people at his funeral who didn't share his political outlook, but who will want to be there out of respect and admiration for who he was a person. In the end that's the most important thing.

Advertisement