Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear a burqa - face a €750 fine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Piste wrote: »
    I bought a balaclava recently, it's the most non-threatening item of clothing ever. It's woollen knitted in different stripy colours with a giant pom-pom on top. I look like the gayest burglar ever.

...your victims find their furniture tastefully rearranged and a quiche in the oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

No it's not a bit extreme, it's Christian Europe!

Wear a burka face execution would be more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So the logic behind is that there Husbands make them wear the Burqa (with no allowances that some may very well wear it out of there own free will), so instead the government is going tell them what they can't wear instead. I fail to see much in a way of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nodin wrote: »
    'If I get punched by a man in a track suit, I should punch every man in a track suit I see'

Great stuff.

Not sure that's the point being made.

If you have to abide by the edicts of the religious country when there, then why not likewise abide by the laws of a secular country?

I'm undecided about the banning myself, but I assume that is the (not unreasonable) point that's been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

1. The Burka is a traditional dress, not a religious one.
    2. Most Islamic women who wear a Burka do so by their own free will. It's not just the men who choose to follow tradition!
    3. Non believers are not required to wear a Burka when visiting Islamic countries. You are however expected to dress fairly conservatively. This applies to men and women.
    4. The proposed French law does seem to target people from specific ethnic backgrounds and is therefore immoral. It also fails to protect a womans right to choose to wear the Burka if she wants to.
    5. There are security concerns with people concealing their face etc, and any potential legislation should just focus on that rather than singling out specific types of clothing.

Did you read the article and the proposal? It specifically doesn't target an ethnic group. The right to cover your face is at odds with safety and as such isn't really a right that anybody has. Many religious teachings are not allowable in societies.

Female friends working in Islamic countries were told they had to wear the Burka when outside the offices. Tv presenters showed similar but maybe it isn't a legal requirement either way people don't have a choice in some countries. It certainly now has religious links whether traditional clothing or not.

Don't get why you would try to deny what is a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Maybe it's the stealthy first step of a plan to remove Muslims from France all together.

If they can ban hoodies from shopping centers, they should have legislation in place to protect the owners of shopping centers also banning people with Burkas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Proper order tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

What I find scary about the Burkas is that you could be walking along side a girl in a Burka and she might be really hot, and you would never know. Infact, Burkas should probably be compulsory for fatties and ugly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SV wrote: »
    Proper order tbh

+1

Sheeps wrote: »
    What I find scary about the Burkas is that you could be walking along side a girl in a Burka and she might be really hot about to blow herself up, and you would never know.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

France has about 3.5 million muslims, this sounds like a revenue raising excerise.

mike65 wrote: »
    France has about 3.5 million muslims, this sounds like a revenue raising excerise.

~half women * At least 1 fine each = €1.3bn

Nice revenue source, we should try it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oppressing people for their religious beliefs? Where do those French think they are? Saudi Arabia? Kuwait? Iran? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

tudlytops wrote: »
    Well if I travel to most Islamic countries as a women I am required to wear an Islamic veil regardless of my believes, so why shouldn't they have to take it off when coming to our countries?

Because Islam is the true religion and us heathens that don't accept it are lower than dogs and should be put to the sword?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

fitz0 wrote: »
    Because Islam is the true religion and us heathens that don't accept it are lower than dogs and should be put to the sword?

Theres more than a sliver of truth to this i think.
    The French are right to be honest. Whatever about it being Christian Europe, its fast becoming secular Europe. When we go to their country / region, we are expected to adhere to their rules, so when they come to ours, the same principle should apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

unkel wrote: »
    That said, there is a woman living my housing estate in Lucan who wears a burqa while driving a car. A case for careless / dangerous driving?

I don't think removing the burqa will improve the careless/dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

unkel wrote: »
    Draft legislation in France

Article

Exerpt:

A bit extreme, isn't it? Freedom of expression and all that?

That said, there is a woman living my housing estate in Lucan who wears a burqa while driving a car. A case for careless / dangerous driving?

Not extreme. They should adhere to the customs in their country of residence, like how you would be prosecuted in Oman for consuming alcohol, or Saudi for banging your mate's wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

We can't do this no more? :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Female friends working in Islamic countries were told they had to wear the Burka when outside the offices.

Unless they are living in very specific regions I doubt they were told to wear a burqa. They probably have to wear a hijab which is completely different.

Burqa. Hijab.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Senna wrote: »
    Those crazy frogs and their mad ideas, what ever will they get up to next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Heroditas wrote: »
    I don't think removing the burqa will improve the careless/dangerous driving.

True - it's still a woman driver underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

nope. There's no prohibition on having your face covered anywhere public.

Yup, but try walking into a store with a motorcycle helmet on and you quickly see how welcome you are. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Nowhere in the Qur'an does it state that a woman must wear one.

What has that got to anything ?

Nowhere in the antenna designers handbook does it specify I have to wear any clothes at all (other than a hard hat and safety boots when working at heights).
    Yup, but try walking into a store with a motorcycle helmet on and you quickly see how welcome you are. :D
    Doesnt stop anyone from weatring one in the street though. Cant you tell the difference ?
    Agricola wrote: »
    its fast becoming secular Europe. When we go to their country / region, we are expected to adhere to their rules
    Nothing secular about making laws about how an individual is allowed to dress.
    Kipperhell wrote: »
    Female friends working in Islamic countries were told they had to wear the Burka when outside the offices. Tv presenters showed similar but maybe it isn't a legal requirement .
    I have access to television channels from over a dozen predominantly Islamic countries and have yet to see a presnter wearing a Burka.
    tudlytops wrote: »
    Well if I travel to most Islamic countries as a women I am required to wear an Islamic veil regardless of my believes, so why shouldn't they have to take it off when coming to our countries?
    Because as a country we like to kid ourselves we are more progressive than some backwater theocratic shytehole ?
    mike65 wrote: »
    More like an incitment to widespread public disorder/terrorism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

My Da does that all the time and refuses to take it off if it's raining. Makes quite a fuss about it if queried. But then again, he's 68 and giving out about "nowadays" is what older folks do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't like the 'if we were in their country we would have to wear one' argument. Surely that is what makes our country better?

In saying that though, I think forcing anyone to wear or to not wear an item of clothing is stupid. If these Burqha wearing women were forced by their families to wear them, then they most likely will be forced to not go out in public with their 'rapeable' faces again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

WindSock wrote: »
    If these Burqha wearing women were forced by their families to wear them.

In France if the women are adults and not being held against their will then their family cannot force them to do anything ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

WindSock wrote: »
    most likely will be forced to not go out in public with their 'rapeable' faces again.

Does this mean the govt should back down anytime anyone threatens to do something illegal if they don't get their way ? If muslim families are imprisoning their daughters/mothers/sisters they should be prosecuted vigorously. Saying we can't ban burkas because some neanderthal might imprison female family members is retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭techdiver

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/6949008/British-woman-arrested-in-Dubai-after-being-raped.html

as alluded to in - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791867

Of course the excuse for this is that it was a Muslim country, so now the shoe is on the other foot. Fair play France.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

techdiver wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/6949008/British-woman-arrested-in-Dubai-after-being-raped.html

as alluded to in - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791867

Of course the excuse for this is that it was a Muslim country, so now the shoe is on the other foot. Fair play France.

So we should be more like Dubai then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    In France if the women are adults and not being held against their will then their family cannot force them to do anything ?

Of course they can be prosecuted if taken to court. However when a person is under control in a domestically abusive situation, most of the time they won't take action out of fear, and or not realising what is happening to them is wrong.
    Morlar wrote: »
    Saying we can't ban burkas because some neanderthal might imprison female family members is retarded.

Well, I didn't say that it can't be banned because imprisonment might happen. I just said that it might happen. If a person can control what another wears, they can just as easily control and manipulate any other aspect of their lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement