Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logging in to Cisco Router

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mahonyxxx

I have a question to the users of that modem/router.
    Namely do you know how to change options associated with assigning ip.
    The modem receive the main signal with the 'external ip' (213.xxx.xxx.xxx) but the modem itself assign 'internal ip' (192.168.0.10) to the computer. How to change that option????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Thanks OP, I just got connected today with one of these routers. You saved me calling them up trying to log in to it. :pac:

Port forwarding is a whole lot easier to set up on this than the oul Eircom b/modem.
    mahonyxxx wrote: »
    I have a question to the users of that modem/router.
    Namely do you know how to change options associated with assigning ip.
    The modem receive the main signal with the 'external ip' (213.xxx.xxx.xxx) but the modem itself assign 'internal ip' (192.168.0.10) to the computer. How to change that option????

I/P is in the TCP/IP Properties in your computer's LAN settings. The default is to obtain an I/P address automatically from the router.

If you're in Vista/XP, right click on "My network" or wtf its called, right-click > Properties > right-click on the network adaptor > Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties

You might want to check the connection status while it's working automatically so you can copy most of the existing settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Actually that doesn't really work properly with this router, but there's a page in the modem settings for assigning static IPs by mac address which someone else might be better qualified to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I got one of the Cisco boxes from UPC yesterday and, as someone suggested, I just brought up the logon and then hit enter twice and got prompted to create a password.

Box seems OK so far. Some doc's online said it could have 4 SSID's; not that I can find anyway. Most annoying thing is that it adds UPC to the start of your SSID when you change it - this is a crock and real security risk. They seem to have their one version of firmware on there that locks you out of certain areas.

I am waiting on some Dlink Powerline Ethernet adapters to arrive and gonna run it to my own firewall and see if I can somehow bridge it to that and do all the security stuff on that firewall.

Have not hooked up the PS3 or Wii yet but am sure they should work OK. UPnP was not on by default and this may affect gaming on these boxes.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 23:59

My laptop is working fine with it, but the PS3 just won't work. Everytime it gets to test the connection, it says it couldn't locate the IP address.. Really getting annoyed with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vecnar

23:59 wrote: »
    My laptop is working fine with it, but the PS3 just won't work. Everytime it gets to test the connection, it says it couldn't locate the IP address.. Really getting annoyed with it
    Have you tried enabling upnp because by default it is disabled. Just tick checkbox next to upnp in advanced->options. I don't have psp myself but I assume psp supports upnp or alternatively you need to forward ports to ip address of your psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Got one of these modems with my recent UPC install.

However I have my own setup involving an old pc and smoothwall express which handles everything between our LAN and the Cisco box.

I don't use the wireless on the Cisco, instead I have the wireless on the lan using my old eircom netopia as a wireless bridge, so no problems with PS3 or Wii.

Also I note that you cannot change the DNS on the Cisco box as it will reboot and default back to UPC settings. Once again smoothwall handles everything and I can still use OpenDNS.

Very little on the Cisco box seems to be accessible: the only tabs that work are setup and a System "status" tab the others are not enabled and the advanced tab appears to be locked down with a different user and password.

However not really bothered once it continues to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

does anybody know how much it is to buy a cisco modem-router all in one. but it says nothing about it on upc website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thedmann

the reason your wii and ps3 etc is not seeing the new cisco ntl modem/router is that the wireless security is wpa2,, the last net gear router you used had wep encryption,, i am afraid the wireless hardwear in your sound system and wii is just not up to the new secure encryption..

you can disable the wireless in the new router and use the switch on the back,, run a cable out of it and put it into another router and use wep encrytion. or switch the encryption back on the cisco to wep. its default is wpa2.
    its not the fault of upc/ntl. they have the latest tech in their equipment,, i am afraid you dont.
    hope this helps

Yama wrote: »
    You guys really know how to complicate Ed's simple initial question, I was mindboggled by the time I finished. If you can't get onto it by leaving the username and password blank, try Admin or admin as the username and nothing for the password, I'll double check when I get home.

I got this router and I think it's a pain in the ass, half my wireless gadgets started by picking up the signal on and off, now not at all, even after trying different channels including auto, my music receiver won't pick up the network and the customer care don't want to know, saying that the internet works so that's all they cover.

Tried the premium rate support number and the guy didn't seem to know what I was talking about, sounded like he'd never even heard of the router. Explained to him for about 10 minutes for which I am sure I got charged the premium rate only for him to say he would have to check around with his colleagues and I never heard from him again.

All I want is wireless internet access and for my music recevier to pick up the music from my library on my pc and can't get any help or info. Tried plugging my old wireless dlink DI24 into it and the receiver picked up the old network but couldn't pick up the new one to play internet radio. At a loss now except maybe to cancel my account and send the whole lot back. If it doesn't work, why should I pay for it. I got he router free by the way as part of the broadband package but if I was doing again I think I'd get a standard router and use my old or another wireless one. Actually I wonder can I disable wireless on the new UPC router?

Also, does anyone know, if I reset the router will it go back to the default UPC settings or some other factory settings, just as a matter of interest. I might try everythign again from scratch.

I am not in any way knowledgable about setting these things up, if you haven't gathered that already, so if anyone has any tips please give them in a simple idiot's version so I might be able to understand.

I just want the internet on my PC (which I have), wireless internet access for the wii, phone, laptop and for my Roku Soundbridge to pick up my shared music library on a wireless network and play internet radio. I had hoped to set up a bridge to link the TV and Bluray but I'd settle for the others first. I also have a Linksys wet200 that never worked (when I had my old setup where everythnig else worked) and I can't contact their support either. Doesn't make me feel good about linksys/cisco at all.

The D-Link was so simple.

By the way, I asked the installer about using a wireless N router in the future and he said no probs but I doubt that very much.

Thanks

Frustrated

Yama

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thedmann

the new encryption is wpa2,, thats why you are having problems,, either upgrade your wireless card. or switch back to wpa or wep encryption .

hope this helps

its not the fault of upc. they provide the latest technology

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Yes you can disable the wireless, and yes you can press the reset button.
    It only resets the modem back to when it was installed, not factory conditions.
    The username and password are on the modem on a sticker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brezien

Username = admin
    Password = W2402

Try it and see Access most areas :cool:

the login works, however you see only tabs and nothing else.

Everything comes up as

"This feature is not enabled.

This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem."

Tabs shown are: BASIC, DHCP, EMTA Log, QoS and Line Diagnostics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

isnt it

username is empty and password is the one they gave you, not in caps.

im trying to portforward but keeps saying invalid ip address?

Placebo wrote: »
    isnt it
    Not necessarily, mine for example is 192.168.1.1

The user Brezien has given is for access to the advanced tab, not the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

brezien wrote: »

Username = admin
    Password = W2402

Try it and see Access most areas :cool:

Worked for me, got the advanced tab to appear but all the sub tabs (DHCP, Config, EMTA Log, QoS and Line Diagnostics) are not accessible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

any update on this? yeah i tried to get into the advanced tab and then you can't access the subtabs all right! this modem is a nightmare!!

Is there a way to get it to factory settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Log-on wrote: »
    any update on this? yeah i tried to get into the advanced tab and then you can't access the subtabs all right! this modem is a nightmare!!

Is there a way to get it to factory settings?

What exactly is your problem? What are you trying to change?

All settings you need to change are on the Setup tab, including all wireless settings.

All the stuff in the Advanced tab is locked down because it is related to the cable portion of the modem and the voice part of it. They are provisioned centrally by UPC and there is no way for you to change them.

Myproblem? don't speak to me like that! I asked a question if you don't want to answer don't! I couldn't care less about the modem part! I'm referring to the two ATA ports which are locked down.

Log-on wrote: »
    Myproblem? don't speak to me like that! I asked a question if you don't want to answer don't! I couldn't care less about the modem part! I'm referring to the two ATA ports which are locked down.

I was asking what the problem you are having is, I wasn't trying to be rude. Not being a native English speaker, I might have formed the question incorrectly.

The two phone ports are locked down for a reason (i.e. you have not bought phone service from NTL). There is no way that I am aware of that you would be able to "unlock" it, because it is not meant to be configurable by the end user. The modem is provisioned centrally using configuration files that are sent to the modem every time it boots up.

The EM2425 is not your standard wireless router, because it is also a cable modem and cable modems behave according to the DOCSIS standard which has certain rules. If the modem adheres to the DOCSIS standard and doesn't have any bugs, then there is no way you can change the configuration file, because it will only be accepted by the modem if sent from the cable side of it (i.e. not the ethernet or wireless side of the modem).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem (look under "Cable modems and VoIP")

blaz wrote: »
    I was asking what the problem you are having is, I wasn't trying to be rude. Not being a native English speaker, I might have formed the question incorrectly.

The two phone ports are locked down for a reason (i.e. you have not bought phone service from NTL). There is no way that I am aware of that you would be able to "unlock" it, because it is not meant to be configurable by the end user. The modem is provisioned centrally using configuration files that are sent to the modem every time it boots up.

The EM2425 is not your standard wireless router, because it is also a cable modem and cable modems behave according to the DOCSIS standard which has certain rules. If the modem adheres to the DOCSIS standard and doesn't have any bugs, then there is no way you can change the configuration file, because it will only be accepted by the modem if sent from the cable side of it (i.e. not the ethernet or wireless side of the modem).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem (look under "Cable modems and VoIP")

ok no problem then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

I tried to log into my modem using "http://192.168.100.1" but the page won't load, what might the story be there?

My connection keeps dropping and reconnecting. :rolleyes:
    When I check ipconfig/all I see that I only get a lease of one hour, could this be anything to do with my problem and if so how do I change that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

its http://192.168.1.1

dont know where people are getting the 100.1 from ....?

pvt.joker wrote: »
    its http://192.168.1.1

dont know where people are getting the 100.1 from ....?

Both work. As the Cisco is essentialy a cable modem it has to adhere to the DOCSIS standard. The DOCSIS standard specifies that the cable modem should be accessible internally as 192.168.100.1. But because the LAN address of UPCs Cisco is 192.168.1.1, it is accessible under both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iheartmaths

blaz wrote: »
    Both work. As the Cisco is essentialy a cable modem it has to adhere to the DOCSIS standard. The DOCSIS standard specifies that the cable modem should be accessible internally as 192.168.100.1. But because the LAN address of UPCs Cisco is 192.168.1.1, it is accessible under both.

Neither are working for me. 192.168.1.1 gives a Page Load Error. 192.168.100.1 just leaves a blank page and says it's loading. It's been loading for about 5 minutes now.

Any ideas?

edit: Checked this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62536333 and found that i should just reset the router and try again. By reset I presumed they meant plug out the power cord and plug it back in NOT press the little reset button. Unplugging and re-plugging worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I am having the exact same problem! I will try the unplug and replug and see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chimchimney

thedmann wrote: »
    the reason your wii and ps3 etc is not seeing the new cisco ntl modem/router is that the wireless security is wpa2,, the last net gear router you used had wep encryption,, i am afraid the wireless hardwear in your sound system and wii is just not up to the new secure encryption..

you can disable the wireless in the new router and use the switch on the back,, run a cable out of it and put it into another router and use wep encrytion. or switch the encryption back on the cisco to wep. its default is wpa2.
    its not the fault of upc/ntl. they have the latest tech in their equipment,, i am afraid you dont.
    hope this helps

thanks for this. i couldnt connect to the wireless. my laptop is 4 years old and the wireless receiver in it cannot handle wpa2. logged into the cisco router via ethernet cable and changed the wireless security settings from wpa2 to wpa. up and running now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 entershikarisim

Hey I'm also having problems getting my DS to connect to my network because it is WPA not WEP, when I had eircom I could change it but I don't know how to change it with this modem. I've gotten into the website in settings and theres a section where theres an option to 'generate WEP passphrase' but when I click it says not available in the mode.
    So how do I change the mode from WPA to WEP does anyone know? thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slashcer

hi, I have a problem similar to most of the ones mentioned here, but not quite the same. Everything is working perfectly, except that I can't download from torrents and surf the web at the same time. Why is that? When I turn off either one, the other works, but they just won't work simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

slashcer wrote: »
    hi, I have a problem similar to most of the ones mentioned here, but not quite the same. Everything is working perfectly, except that I can't download from torrents and surf the web at the same time. Why is that? When I turn off either one, the other works, but they just won't work simultaneously.

You should have created a new topic, not just replied to an old one, that has very little to do with your problem.

As for your problem with torrents/surfing, you need to limit the amount of concurrent sessions/ports that your torrent software is using. Your PC, your router and also your providers equipment can only handle x amount of concurrent sessions and if your torrents use them all up, then there is no way to establish sessions for browsing the web.

This setting is different in any torrent software, so you'll have to figure that out yourself, unless you give more detailed info on what exactly you are using.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 owenvenes

hi. i had the same problem. the login is suposed to be blanks but sometimes its not, in which case just press the reset on the back which will reset the upc setings and blank username and password. as for the ****ty signal, once u login, go to wireless -> basic, and set channel to 10 (recomended by random upc tech suport)or 11 or 12 (recomended by random blog i read). this is especialy true if you can pick up other upc routers next door. the blog guy also sed the 2425's firewall was **** and interfered with his xbox and after shutting it off it was better and faster for peer to peer. i personally kept the routers firewall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement