Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Under taking by a Garda jeep with trailer ...In a bus lane

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

kbannon wrote: »
    I don't think so as before they became bus-lanes, they were generally hard shoulders (emergency lanes)

There are more and more 24hr bus lanes popping up around dublin. Take the Kileen/nangor rd. I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason for this was to leave a clear route for the emergency services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

TheNog wrote: »
    Some are, some not. There should be a sign outlining times etc at the start of every bus lane.
    Which I find pretty hard to read while driving. Given that the drive-on-the-left rule requires us to use them where possible, the opening hours really ought to be more visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

When I first started driving it used to piss me off the amount of cars that used the bus lane heading down past Heuston station to skip the early morning traffic queues. Once or twice I saw a Merc or BMW do this I thought oh that's it, it's the wealthy drivers who break the rules because paying the fine is not a bother for them and they see it as a small fee they sometimes have to pay for the priviledge. Then I noticed that actually most were in fact Fords or Toyota Camrys and were actually Garda cars. That's when I decided to keep an eye out for these and learn how to recognise them.

Anyway, it's establised that Gardaí are exempt from most traffic laws including use of bus lanes.

At first I was pissed off at what I saw as Garda abuse of this priviledge but I don't mind at all now because even in a non-emergency situation like for example having to appear at the four courts on the quays, the gardai are still being paid by you and I. If the Gardaí are stuck in traffic it'll end up costing us the taxpayer more in Garda overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Yes but my point is public perception. And look im sorry but im going to nail this down , you know and I know he was just over taking , no emergency , no covert under cover operation in action here. There was no hurry before or after the bus lane. So call it as you want.

How do you know there was no emergency? Putting on the blue lights and sirens can cause some drivers to panic so the emergency services generally only use them when they need to break red lights and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

WTF is going on here. Everyone is a frac'ing Garda lover now.

Last year there was Garda bashing all over the place and now ye all love them :rolleyes:

OP Im switching sides to be with ye.

/sings - You'll never walk alone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Go back over to your Emergency Services forum ya scummy rat!

That better? :pac:

I'm currently waiting on my medical date btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stop me speeding up your neck of the woods and I might have a different attitude you P*G! :D

Stop me p*ssing on a shop door out of my head on vodka and I will abuse you if it makes you feel better.*

*btw I dont drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Last year there was Garda bashing all over the place and now ye all love them :rolleyes:

/sings - You'll walk alone

Oh no ,thats not gonna work. I aint puttin my head up again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

House wrote: »
    OP, what would you have preferred them to do? Blue flashing lights and overtaking you in the overtaking lane?

I mean, c'mon, why do that when the buslane is empty and they have emergency psv status? What particular facet about their behaviour is it that you take issue with?

Whats emergency psv status? some of here aren't in the gards
    Are they not excempt only on urgent emergencys? I've seen gards casually pull up at lights, break em and almost cause accidents (not garda bashing)

to back up the OP, Why could the gards not stay in the normal lane like normal? especially if they're towing a boat then its hardly an emergency.

A quick Q for the op are you sure it wasnt the coast guard? I regularly see em floating around

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

/sings - You'll walk alone
    Aah shut up - we pay your wages so we can say what we want! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which I find pretty hard to read while driving. Given that the drive-on-the-left rule requires us to use them where possible, the opening hours really ought to be more visible.
    I'm not trying to be rude or funny.
    But if you have trouble reading them you probably need glasses to drive.

congo_90 wrote: »
    Are they not excempt only on urgent emergencys? I've seen gards casually pull up at lights, break em and almost cause accidents (not garda bashing)
    I wouldn't say so, guards often patrol in cars. Its pointless to expect them to sit in traffic when not on an emergency, as its a waste of resources (read taxpayers money). I'd be more annoyed if I saw the guards not using the bus lane. (i'm refering to heavy traffic before somebody gets smart :D)
    to back up the OP, Why could the gards not stay in the normal lane like normal? especially if they're towing a boat then its hardly an emergency.
    How does the fact that they are towing a boat mean its not an emergency. They are hardly trying to get a bit of fishing in on the lunch break

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

congo_90 wrote: »
    Afaik, all Gardaí are exempt no matter what they are driving as long as it is in the course of their duty.
    Other vehicles are specifically mentioned including ambulances, fire brigade, coast guard, mountain rescue etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

OP you will get no sympathy here .. this forum is full of

1. Excellent drivers who never speed.
    2. Believe that every speed sign is perfectly justified for the road it's on ( and anyway who are YOU to question it ?)
    3. Drivers who believe that all law enforcement agencies are above the law, in all circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Watch out. There are so many guards in here you might get arrested for having an opinion. At least I know why I was wrong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. but it would be nice if people would learn the rules of the road in this country before they go mouthing off about the Gardai- if bitching about the guards were an olympic event Ireland would certainly be in the medals.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Yes but my point is public perception. And look im sorry but im going to nail this down , you know and I know he was just over taking , no emergency , no covert under cover operation in action here. There was no hurry before or after the bus lane. So call it as you want.

So he got his job done more efficiently. Bid deal. You would probably be moaning if he stayed in traffic, was submitting overtime and your tax was paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pythag

how many times do we see normal cars take the bus lane skipping ques and generally taking the mick.. they are the ones that should be shouted at..

when a government vehicle (or is that pronounced Veh-e-kel) :-) does it why are we getting upset.. they were ust doing their job..

ok some guards can be a bit awkward or worse, there is allways some one thats a twat.., but for the most part they do a hard nasty job and get sod all thanks for it..

and especially for those subaqua guys... they have a orrible cold messy job, imagine having to spend a few hours underwater in muck searching for a dead body, by feel, because there is zero visability....

not my idea of a fun time..

and also for my 2c... Re bus lanes, motorbikes should be legally allowed to use them too. that might save some lives in the future..

pythag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

In a hurry to catch dinner perhaps?

They were on the way to get pork ribs and doughnuts, what else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

very helpful for a first post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

Glad you liked my helpful first post, long time lurker.

We don't have the "left lane" hangup in Oz.

Overtake where and when you can safely.

Oz is a big country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement