Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Probably a noob question to ask.
    But how does your average joe make money from Dj'in?

Its all about just getting a gig in a nightclub or maybe the odd birthday party/wedding etc right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

DJs get paid in Fivers and Bags of Yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Probably a noob question to ask.
    But how does your average joe make money from Dj'in?

Its all about just getting a gig in a nightclub or maybe the odd birthday party/wedding etc right?

For the first while you won't make anything. Same as any hobby. You might start off getting a few wedding/birthday gigs if you go looking for them, and get paid €100 for playing music you hate.

It takes a lot of work to get to a position to be getting paid for clubnight gigs. Setting up your own night helps, but that's a whole other story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

DJ make about the same money soccer players do: the majority make nothing, some make a living, and some make it rich. lol

Think electrogrimey's spot on above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

what do u guys make of the KONTROL S4 for a newbie to start digital dj'ing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Massive overkill for a beginner.

Try a Hercules RMX maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

for anyone curious about ableton, there's a usergroup meetup this saturday in the twisted pepper ....

more info here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056043467

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Anyone who had an Xponent who has upgraded, what did you move onto? Was thinking about maybe saving up for the S4 but not sure atm. Is the VCI 300 any use?

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Anyone who had an Xponent who has upgraded, what did you move onto? Was thinking about maybe saving up for the S4 but not sure atm. Is the VCI 300 any use?

VCI-100 I'd say? Or else Kontrol X1s and hardware mixer to make things simpler playing in clubs.

Or, even better again, Traktor Scratch with 2 X1s, so you have 4 deck control with 2 CD decks, and have effect controls etc of the first 2 decks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I'm new to this and I'm getting a DDM4000 soon along with some KRK RP5 studio monitors, but I'm pretty confused when it comes to audio interfaces. Any recommendations on which one I should get? Has to be USB, <200 (preferably as cheap as possible for now) and I'm guessing it's going to need two inputs and two out puts?

The input/output bit is what confuses me really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on what setup you want. The main thing is two stereo outs, maybe four. You have channels for external gear left on the DDM so there wouldnt usually be a need for soundcard inputs unless you want to digitally process vocals or something.

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I'm new to this and I'm getting a DDM4000 soon along with some KRK RP5 studio monitors, but I'm pretty confused when it comes to audio interfaces. Any recommendations on which one I should get? Has to be USB, <200 (preferably as cheap as possible for now) and I'm guessing it's going to need two inputs and two out puts?

The input/output bit is what confuses me really.

Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ. That'll give you two deck control, if you want 4 deck control you'll have to shell out more for an Audio 8 DJ, or something like an M-Audio Profire 610.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Posted this elsewhere looking for help. Any help would stop me melting my head.

I have a pair of CDJ 200's and up until the other night they were both working perfectly. The other night one of the decks just stopped functioning properly. It will turn on and I am able to play the track. Nearly every button on the deck is not responding. I cant skip tracks, or albums, or loop the track. The time mode and track display button is also not working. I cannot use the eject button either, i had to manually do that with the pin provided and tried using other CD's but with the same results. I have no idea how this has happened and its wrecking my head. I was looking for some firmware to update the deck so that might override the problem but there doesn't seem to be for the 200's?

I have no idea where this came out of as I was using the deck successfully before it just stopped functioning. Would really appreciate any help with this as it is driving me insane not being able to use the decks at the minute. Cheers for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DJ Equipment

can you give me some fresh information about DJ

Where in Dublin city centre sells DJ gear? Can only find places outside of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 woozle

Sounds Around Capel Street - near Jervis shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

theyre all robbin turds bar x music, who afaik will match thomann's prices.

theyre showroom is out by the red cow

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

People have said good things about Aquarius too IIRC.

woozle wrote: »
    Sounds Around Capel Street - near Jervis shopping centre

Thanks I'll have a look.
    copeyhagen wrote: »
    theyre all robbin turds bar x music, who afaik will match thomann's prices.

theyre showroom is out by the red cow

I didn't see much. Only PA's and production gear really. I'll have a look next week though. Thanks.
    People have said good things about Aquarius too IIRC.

Thanks, I'll have a look there too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Aquarius, that is all!!

Their prices and service is second to none, add them on facebook, they run special offers on their page from time to time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

I've just started to get into the hardcore/house/trance music in the last while and I'm starting to get interested in taking up DJ'ing as a hobby for a while and just see how it goes. Been looking for some free software to give me a taster before i start investing in proper mixing gear and other hardware, anyone have any recommendations or even just advice? Vital knowledge people should know before they start? I just want to see if its for me and if I have any ability whatsoever at it. Its really just for myself really and maybe a few of my friends house parties as I already provide them with sound systems :P

Ill be looking through the rest of the beginner threads tonight and into the basics on the web over the next few weeks anyway so ill hopefully pick up some nice bits in them =]

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Whats the best pc karaoke software you can get, dont know much about this myself but asking for friend, also where to get the tracks also,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

alright folks :)

Really want to start djing im 20 years old and havnt a clue to go about starting

Im a feen for goin clubbin at the weekend love my dance music :)

Last night watched a few vids on youtube abou these virtual decks you can download

Downloaded Virtual DJ home edition it was free

i just cant get the grips of gettin the beats to match and to fade into each other , and finding the right time to do it

I will be getting a set of decks for crimbo i need your wisdom

thanks

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

This bloke will tell you most of what you need to know to get started

http://www.djtutor.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 YourLeader

Hi guys,

Is there anyone familiar with IK MULTIMEDIA

www.ikmultimedia.com

I have bought the Opto Compressor and am having trouble registering the product to work..

Anyone buy this and how do i register it? What's a Digital ID???

Agghh!!

I'm using a mac by the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Didn't want to start a 'what interface do I want?' thread. I play in a band and we're really into electronic stuff, with lots of ideas to go ahead with. I use Ableton and Pure Data and I'm looking for an interface so I can adapt my laptop into the band's setup. I'd really like to use synthesisers and samplers on my laptop, and I'm really interested in the idea of sampling things on stage live and processing them 'on the fly' or whatever the term is.

I'm looking for something with the most outputs I suppose. I can't see myself needing that many inputs (a mic, my guitar...), then there'd be two outputs for FOH, a headphone mix for our drummer to play to, output back into my guitar setup.

I don't know any of the conventions for using these things in a stage setup. Am I looking for XLR outputs? Will TRS do?

My living conditions are probably going to change soon, which will allow me a decent bit of money to spend. My thinking is, if I don't buy a pretty decent one now, I'll only end up re-buying later. Having said that, I can't justify a super-expensive one. Seriously considering this one at the moment.

So what would ye who know more than me suggest?
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cormacp6

I have cdj's already but im moving to traktor can someone tell me if this is a good setup?
    Behringer djx700 (not the best i know)
    Maya 44 soundcard
    Traktor kontrol x1
    Traktor pro

Also can i buy a 2nd kontrol x1 and use it with traktor or would i need an audio 8??

Cormacp6 wrote: »
    I have cdj's already but im moving to traktor can someone tell me if this is a good setup?
    Behringer djx700 (not the best i know)
    Maya 44 soundcard
    Traktor kontrol x1
    Traktor pro

Also can i buy a 2nd kontrol x1 and use it with traktor or would i need an audio 8??

Aside from the mixer, that's a good set-up. Yeah, you'll need a 4 channel soundcard to use the 4 decks. You can use a second X1 no problem, but you'll still only have 2 decks with that soundcard.

I'd say shell out for the Audio 8, it'll be worth it in the long run, you'll eventually want to upgrade anyway, so you may as well not waste the money getting a 2 channel soundcard.

I'd say don't get the X1 yet, and get the Audio 8 instead. By the time you get to know Traktor with just your mouse and keyboard, you'll have the money to get the X1 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

what controller would u guys recommend? Im just looking at getting into Dj'ing

• Advertisement

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    what controller would u guys recommend? Im just looking at getting into Dj'ing

A pair of decks.

Advertisement