Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Live - The TV Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭willabur

I really like Earley also. I think RTE should give the two of them their own show on Football which covers Irish International, Premiership, Eircom League and the Champions League and maybe reserve a section for something obscure like a profile of the forgotten genius of Greek football Vassilis Hatzipanagis

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Skid X wrote: »
    This Kearney-ometer remains unused, maybe some day we'll get to see it in action.

I foresee it becoming a running gag that they never use it an McDevitt always just mentions at the end of the show that Rob is better looking Kearney this week.
    I for one am hoping they can get Conor McGregor on the show at some stage. The guy is already a legend in my eyes.

Yea, McGregor would be a good shout, or even get his coach John Kavanagh who could give good insight into the rise of MMA in Ireland without it being too McGregor centric. Although obviously McGregor is the jewel in the crown at the moment.
    JM Skipton wrote: »
    My only criticism is the "know your sport slot" with penalty shootout they probably could get rid of that.
    I wouldn't get rid of the whole slot, just the penalty shoot out bit, just have the quiz part. Rereading it, that could be what you meant.

Overall, great show, can see it getting better each week as they settle in. My only concern is that they will run out of quality guests if the series is extended. Where the radio show excelled was getting brilliant interviews with guests from the states, UK, Spain, Germany etc. where they could conduct the interview by phone. I doubt the RTE budget will stretch to flying in too many guests from abroad but you never know.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I checked the ratings on medialive for the first show (I think you need to register a free account to view it)

http://www.medialive2.com/television/latest-top-20-programmes/latest-top-20-programmes.html

Second Captains Live was the 6th most watched programme on RTE2 that week, with 114,000 viewers
    (After Austria v Ireland, three editions of the Sunday Game (not sure how that works), and the second episode of Under The Dome (which bizarrely was watched by more people than the first episode of the same programme which preceded it. )

I think they would be happy with that, it will be interesting to see the figures for this week (it will be tougher seeing as the show started later, and without the Ireland game as a lead-in)

Sunday game is split into the pre game, actual game and the highlights show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

114,000 at 11pm? Is that good? (I don't know what usual ratings for that titme of night are)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    114,000 at 11pm? Is that good? (I don't know what usual ratings for that titme of night are)

Judging by the other figures on that medialive page it seems reasonably good. Most of the other shows in each channel's Top 20 are from earlier in the evening. However, they would have had a strong lead-in from the Ireland match, and their first show started 30 minutes earlier than their second one.

For what it's worth, here is the RTE Spin on it (taken from an RTE Press Release, so it's not an objective assessment) I don't know how they measured the audience at 125,000 when Media live/Nielsen had it at 114,000.
    Second Captains Live had a strong start last Wednesday night. The first show included a frank interview with Ronan O’Gara about his move to Racing Metro as coach and the show attracting an average audience of 125,100 and a 12.6% share of all viewers at the time. It was 2nd highest-rating programme on TV last Tuesday for Men ABC1, after the World Cup Qualifier match.

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2013/09/17/the-second-captains-live-line-up/?platform=47

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Looking forward to it this week. Any idea on who the guests will be. Guessing McConville and Moyles will be on.

Would be good if they got Dunphy or one of the other lads who normally do the soccer on for the main interview.

Second Captains Live failed to make the RTE2 Top 20 Programmes last week, according to Medialive/Neilsen (free registration required)

http://www.medialive2.com/television/latest-top-20-programmes/latest-top-20-programmes.html

That means their figures dropped from 114,000 to less than 64,000 (the audience for the 20th programme in the list).

That is disappointing, even allowing for the later timeslot and lower lead-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Would have been a lot of curiousity in the debut show too I suppose.Pity,hope RTE stick with it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Disappointing. But the match beforehand didn't exactly do them any favours.

Hopefully they'll bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What's a decent figure for that time slot, anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭willabur

In fairness it is a dog of a time to put any show.

Also in this day and age people can watch programs at anytime they like with catch up players and recorders. Is there a source on how many people watched the show off RTE website or people who have recorded it to watch again later

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's a decent figure for that time slot, anyone know?

Hard to know, Donie. It probably gets a decent audience on recorded platforms and on the RTE Player on top of the 'live' viewers.

One thing in their favour is that it's a good audience for advertisers - young-ish people who have disposable income.

I'd love to see it at about 9pm on a non-football night. It might be easier for them to attract high profile guests at an earlier time, too.

Yeah, that'd be good. It's a shame they left newstalk because of the time slot, and...well...

Anyway, i believe the show would/will be successful, just hope it gets a long enough run to settle down. Can't really have "regular" sections for a four show series.

Personally i'd love a Friday night preview of the weekend. That'd be perfect after the LLS (less so for people who don't sit through that, mind you!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I don't know about the rest of you but by 11pm I'm on the way to bed and there's no way I'd still be up at midnight to watch the show (except this week as I've audience tickets :-)) I usually sky plus it and watch it at the weekend.

I've gotten my housemates to watch it the first night and they enjoyed it but 11pm is too late to get the casual viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Those figures can be misleading.

I don't watch it when it airs, usually catch it later in the week when I have some spare time. Although I guess its a show that tries to cater to everyone, so it might not be interesting all the time. Like I'll see what the story i, and give it a watch. Some guests and topics I wouldn't be interested in. I've been avoiding the usual Irish sports stuff last 7 days cause no doubt it would be full of All Ireland stuff.

And if I'm honest I'm starting to come back to Off the Ball. Still gets top interviews and an enjoyable show, Paul McGrath interview last week was tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Same as the two posters above. I haven't watched one episode live but have watched them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

TheDoc wrote: »
    Those figures can be misleading.

The same could be said of the other shows that are in the top 20 this week, people will watch them at different times too. I'm very surprised by it, but there is no good way of spinning losing half your audience over the course of the first two shows. It must be hugely disappointing for them.

Then again, I'm not sure a show starting after 11pm should be expected to be in the top 20. Only one managed it last week and that came in at 20. The 4 week run and the post prime-time start isn't doing them any favours.

The problem with saying figures don't take into account people who watch it later is that neither do advertisers. 6 million people could watch the show over the course of the week, but unless RTE can sell advertising to that audience it doesn't really matter.

Six million is a bit of an exaggeration obviously, and RTE do have ads on the Player, but the Player ads are, as far as I can tell anyway, across every show so not hitting the specific SC audience.

/takes off amateur analyst hat

Is there a show this week?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The problem with saying figures don't take into account people who watch it later is that neither do advertisers. 6 million people could watch the show over the course of the week, but unless RTE can sell advertising to that audience it doesn't really matter.

Six million is a bit of an exaggeration obviously, and RTE do have ads on the Player, but the Player ads are, as far as I can tell anyway, across every show so not hitting the specific SC audience.

/takes off amateur analyst hat

Is there a show this week?

Ah yeah, it's on tomorrow again at 11pm. No details yet.

In the meantime, if anyone is on a TV ratings panel for TAM or Neilsen, could you tell them you watch Second Captains Live every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Ah yeah, it's on tomorrow again at 11pm. No details yet.

In the meantime, if anyone is on a TV ratings panel for TAM or Neilsen, could you tell them you watch Second Captains Live every week?

I wouldn't worry too much about the ratings. It'll be renewed if the bosses in RTE like it. Giving it a limited run is just to see if the show has legs.

Changes will have to be made if another series is to be commissioned. It's a little all over the place at the moment.

• Advertisement

McDevitt said on the podcast they'll have Donal Og Cusack, Richie Sadlier (no way!), Alieen Reid (Ireland's top female triathlete), and Mark Rowan (Paralympian).

Should be very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

It's all done via a set-top box with a very naff name - peoplemeters.

"We're The Script, from Dublin, Ireland"

"Dublin, Ireland" You're in the Guinness Storehouse, ya eejits. :rolleyes:

And now, It's Second Captains o'clock

They've got that World Cup 90 sticker/folder yoke on the table!

There is a real lack of Football guests on this show, which doesn't help Ken Earley find a role.

I suppose a live show in the middle of the night in Dublin make it unlikely any UK based players or ex-players will travel over. It does beg the question - does this show really need to be live?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    They've got that World Cup 90 sticker/folder yoke on the table!

Good spot - I spent a fortune on that yoke back in the day. Brian Clough did the advert for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

"We're The Script, from Dublin, Ireland"

"Dublin, Ireland" You're in the Guinness Storehouse, ya eejits. :rolleyes:

And now, It's Second Captains o'clock

i think stuff from the storehouse is broadcast to a few places around the world.

can't see this keeping up if it's live. there's only so many stories richie sadlier has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Good spot - I spent a fortune on that yoke back in the day. Brian Clough did the advert for it.

Remember the ad?

Alex I want your striker.

Not a chance....unless?

Unless what?

You give me your fullback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It's really poor tonight. Can't see it lasting. Ken Early needs to be involved far more.

• Advertisement

There is a real lack of Football guests on this show, which doesn't help Ken Earley find a role.

I suppose a live show in the middle of the night in Dublin make it unlikely any UK based players or ex-players will travel over. It does beg the question - does this show really need to be live?

What's the deal with the lack of soccer? This is show 3 and apart from the messing with the rte archives Ritchie is the only football guest they've had. Really, what is the thinking behind that? Considering one third of old OTB was just football (and it was all through the rest of the show).

Not that i don't like the other guests, i just don't get it.

Advertisement