Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Invincible

.red. wrote: »
    Same ones I think, only an extra €4.40 from Argos tho and easier if anything goes wrong

In fairness to Amazon, very easy to return on anything that goes teats up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

BandMember wrote: »
    It's been mentioned before, but just a reminder, that anyone who has their broadband with Eir can claim a free set of homeplugs from them. It saves you some cash.... ;)

Had a quick Google but can't find anything on this - how would you go about claiming from Eir?

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Had a quick Google but can't find anything on this - how would you go about claiming from Eir?

Afaik, you contact them and explain that you've black spots in the house that you've no wi-fi signal and ask for the homeplugs,(that's what a family member did couple of years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Invincible wrote: »
    Afaik, you contact them and explain that you've black spots in the house that you've no wi-fi signal and ask for the homeplugs,(that's what a family member did couple of years ago).

Yep, do exactly what Invincible suggested. You can order them via Eir chat, if you don't want to ring them or shoot them an e-mail. Loads of people have got them already, pretty sure that someone posted a link already on this thread....but you don't need it anyway - just have your account details to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have a Minix U1 and I have 2 wifi set up in the house the 2.4ghz and the 5Ghz

5 is better but Minix keeps picking up the 2.4 even though I have gone in a forget network etc. How can I set it up so as the 5Ghz is the default wifi option.

Anyone with a Minix know or can it be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have a Minix U1 and I have 2 wifi set up in the house the 2.4ghz and the 5Ghz

5 is better but Minix keeps picking up the 2.4 even though I have gone in a forget network etc. How can I set it up so as the 5Ghz is the default wifi option.

Anyone with a Minix know or can it be done?

You could assign a different name to the 5GHz and then 'forget' the 2.4GHz on the Minix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Suckit wrote: »
    You could assign a different name to the 5GHz and then 'forget' the 2.4GHz on the Minix.

Cheers

Took me ages to re assign all my automations at home to the 5ghz so re naming it last option. I went into wifi settings and then forget the 2.4ghz but it still connects to it?

Cheers

Took me ages to re assign all my automations at home to the 5ghz so re naming it last option. I went into wifi settings and then forget the 2.4ghz but it still connects to it?

Assign a different name to the 2.4GHz and do not connect to it.

If there are more devices on the 5GHz, than that option might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Looking for bit of advice on this box. Would it be any use?

https://www.tomtop.com/p-v1131eu.html

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

northknife wrote: »

Cheers.

I have one for a couple of years

The hardware is dated. You'd be better off with a newer box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Cheers.

Yes indeed....when the Jehovah's witnesses come calling you can throw it at them, bound to do some damage...as an android box...feck all use I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I think I paid a tenner less for it going back a couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cheers.

Someone posted in BA about the Mi Box.Its $67(€58) from Gearbest at the moment.international version so Android TV and Netflix app.
    Lack of ethernet is a downside but adoptors can be bought.
    Probably best value to be got at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Yes indeed....when the Jehovah's witnesses come calling you can throw it at them, bound to do some damage...as an android box...feck all use I'm afraid

I have a lot of bigger and heavier stuff to throw at them.... pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭bren2001

yabadabado wrote: »
    Someone posted in BA about the Mi Box.Its $67(€58) from Gearbest at the moment.international version so Android TV and Netflix app.
    Lack of ethernet is a downside but adoptors can be bought.
    Probably best value to be got at the moment.

got a link to it? Cant seem to find it in BA.

bren2001 wrote: »
    got a link to it? Cant seem to find it in BA.

Its on Gearbest,just look for International Version $66.99

It was mentioned in some thread ,not a thread specifically for Mi Box.

Edit:
    link

Cheers.

Unless you want a paperweight or a doorstop, no.

Piece of rubbish that is years out of date TBH, you're far better off spending the cash on a decent box that performs well and will last you years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

BandMember wrote: »
    Unless you want a paperweight or a doorstop, no.

Piece of rubbish that is years out of date TBH, you're far better off spending the cash on a decent box that performs well and will last you years.

Anything you would recommend?
    My old box is 3 years old and getting tired. I'm thinking of splashing out but it's a bit of a minefield.

OldRio wrote: »
    My old box is 3 years old and getting tired. I'm thinking of splashing out but it's a bit of a minefield.

This box is well reviewed,
    http://www.wirelesshack.org/review-beelink-gt1-ultimate-s912-3gb-ram-android-6-0-set-top-box.html

At $67 I think the Mi box is hard beaten,add in a ethernet adoptor and should have all in for around €70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

At $67 I think the Mi box is hard beaten,add in a ethernet adoptor and should have all in for around €70.

Which version of the Mi Box?

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_618211.html?wid=4 - This one?

Or is the H96 pro plus a bit better?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xh96+pro.TRS0&_nkw=h96+pro+plus&_sacat=0

Which would you guys recommend?

its tbe international version of the Mi Box .
    Someone can correct me but i think that's the one you need .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

its tbe international version of the Mi Box .
    Someone can correct me but i think that's the one you need .

Cheers,

Which of the 2 boxes is better? I see the h96 has 3gb RAM and more storage, but the MiBox is constantly getting recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Cheers,

Which of the 2 boxes is better? I see the h96 has 3gb RAM and more storage, but the MiBox is constantly getting recommended

The Mi Box is recommended because it's a device that runs the real Android TV and supports Netflix and Youtube 4K. The h96 like most cheap Android boxes runs a version of Android designed for a touchscreen and lacking the support for Netflix in HD

OldRio wrote: »

Personally, I'd go for a Minix U-9 or the Shield, best on the market with easy to do OTA updates and boxes that will last you for years....but each to their own....

I have used the Shield,U9 and Mi Box.

The Shield is streets ahead of the other two but with a price to match.

I think the Mi Box is a better buy than the U9.Its currently on sale for about half the price of the U9.There isnt much difference in them so price swings it imo.They both will do a very good job .
    Mi Box also has Netflix 4k which is handy.

Just make sure to get a ethernet adoptor for Mi,one was recommended on this thread before for around €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Mi box 3 is 75 euro in the new mi store in Spain

It is also €58.48 on Banggood. But it has been lower, it might be better in 2½ weeks - Black Friday sale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭bren2001

Suckit wrote: »
    It is also €58.48 on Banggood. But it has been lower, it might be better in 2½ weeks - Black Friday sale

Both the Banggood and Gearbest ship from HK. So both are liable for customs.

Is it not easier to go for (from Bargain Alerts thread):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122355472779?clk_rvr_id=1358273534725&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

or the Mi Spain site. Should receive it faster and no issue with customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

bren2001 wrote: »
    Both the Banggood and Gearbest ship from HK. So both are liable for customs.

Is it not easier to go for (from Bargain Alerts thread):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122355472779?clk_rvr_id=1358273534725&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

or the Mi Spain site. Should receive it faster and no issue with customs.

That ebay seller is Singapore registered with free P&P to the UK expected 23 Nov - 11 Dec. and ROI (+£15) 15-23 Nov.

Advertisement