Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-functional events centre (Budget 2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was it not stated that construction would look to begin late 2015 with a decision having been made early 2015?

I was under the impression that somebody on here had alluded to that hopefully we'd see it started by Summer but that would be wishful thinking. So seeing something booked into Beamish & Crawford for September isn't suprising to me and it certainly doesn't have me worried that construction won't start for ages.

I think 10 years is a bit much CHealy but we can only wait and see. I would just like to see more transparency on the in's and outs of this so people know the reasons for delays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Oktoberfest is going ahead on the Beamish & Crawford site so I'd imagine we won't be seeing any movement until at least early 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

calnand wrote: »
    Just saw that Octoberfest Beag will be taking place in Beamish and Crawford, so it looks like there's going to be no work done on the site any time soon.
    Michael.. wrote: »
    Oktoberfest is going ahead on the Beamish & Crawford site so I'd imagine we won't be seeing any movement until at least early 2016.

Gowan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is it possible that works could be ongoing behind while the festival takes place out front?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

The festival does take place in front of the counting house and at present heineken/bam haven't said anything about if the rest of the development is going ahead, so it could, but I don't think any festival would think of running next to an active building site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

calnand wrote: »
    The festival does take place in front of the counting house and at present heineken/bam haven't said anything about if the rest of the development is going ahead, so it could, but I don't think any festival would think of running next to an active building site.

That's my take on it as well. If anything, they'll probably just do some preliminary works, a more in depth survey of the site, to see where the ground might be contaminated, or some initial clean-up.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

On George Hook radio show yesterday,they said work starts 2016 and completed in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

On George Hook radio show yesterday,they said work starts 2016 and completed in 2017.

Has anyone quiried how long the archaeologists will take?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kub wrote: »
    Has anyone quiried how long the archaeologists will take?

Really depends what's there. Could be quick or it could turn into a decade long saga like Wood Quay in Dublin.

The head of Bam Ireland said they hope to start the events centre by the end of the year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/euro500m-worth-of-development-projects-to-transform-cork-320739.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

The head of Bam Ireland said they hope to start the events centre by the end of the year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/euro500m-worth-of-development-projects-to-transform-cork-320739.html

Thanks for sharing that - all looks good and great to see development like this in the city centre.

That Brooks Haughton site is across from the College of Comm yes?

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing that - all looks good and great to see development like this in the city centre.

That Brooks Haughton site is across from the College of Comm yes?

Looks that way from the railing/bridge in the photo alright

Glad to see the City being developed, really interested to see how Cork comes on in the next 3-5 years, very exciting times ahead hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

I wonder why it's taking so long to get this started.

John Cleary Developments only bought the Capitol site a month or two ago and they've lodge planning and are ready to built immediately.

Oktober Fest is on this year in the Beamish site so they won't be doing anything before that. By that stage 10 months will have passed since they got approved government/council funding. I'd actually be very surprised if anything happens this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Meanwhile, the city council said it has plans to upgrade the South Mall, Lapps Quay, and is finalising its derelict sites register with plans to take targeted action on certain structures.

This is the last paragraph of that article in the Examiner.

I wonder what they mean by this? The South Mall is fine, some of the buildings could do with a lick of paint. I hope they don't see the South Mall as some place to interfere. I'm in the horrors imagining their ideas (more pedestrian crossings, more Coke Zero bikes instead of parking spaces for the client popping into an insurance broker or legal firm).

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I saw workmen securing the unfinished hotel at the top of the South mall the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Michael.. wrote: »
    I wonder why it's taking so long to get this started.

I'd say the main reason is dealing with public authorities. Everything takes longer. The funding got approved at the end of last year but it'll take them months to cross the t's and dot the i's on all the public funding agreements etc.

On the other hand, everybody would be up in arms if public money was given out without due process - you can't win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

FrStone wrote: »
    This is the last paragraph of that article in the Examiner.

I wonder what they mean by this? The South Mall is fine, some of the buildings could do with a lick of paint. I hope they don't see the South Mall as some place to interfere. I'm in the horrors imagining their ideas (more pedestrian crossings, more Coke Zero bikes instead of parking spaces for the client popping into an insurance broker or legal firm).

Can clients not cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Didn't realise how much of the Beamish site had already been demolished 'til I took a wander up the Elizabethian Fort at the w/end.

dde4pt.jpg

Anyone hear any more on this? I've heard that negotiations with LiveNation to operate the place are proving very difficult as there are doubts over the commercial viability of the events centre in the long run. The government won't keep the money on hold forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Anyone hear any more on this? I've heard that negotiations with LiveNation to operate the place are proving very difficult as there are doubts over the commercial viability of the events centre in the long run. The government won't keep the money on hold forever.

I'm no pessimist but I can't see this going ahead. The money will be on the table as far as the next election. The day after it will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I doubt it'll go ahead either, its too much of a mess already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Cork can't have nice things. It will most likely end up being built in Limerick. Mark my words.

Wouldn't totally rule it out being built but would be less positive than I would have been.

Well Shít :(

Do people think LiveNation or the location and issues with archeology will prove decisive.

Surprised that more people aren't fighting to get this done quickly as there are lots of business people in Cork who could gain from this in a big way

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

I am getting worried now too at this stage. Nothing seems to have happened since it was announced that the Beamish site was the successful bidder

I cant see how this would not be a success, given the popularity of the Marquee over the last 10 years.

I hope whoever is responsible dont f**k it up. Cork has enough bad news with the airport as it is. We are really poorly served with our public representatives.

Meursault wrote: »
    I am getting worried now too at this stage. Nothing seems to have happened since it was announced that the Beamish site was the successful bidder

I cant see how this would not be a success, given the popularity of the Marquee over the last 10 years.

I hope whoever is responsible dont f**k it up. Cork has enough bad news with the airport as it is. We are really poorly served with our public representatives.

Apparently the GAAs business plan for Pairc Ui Chaoimh (the new one after the Government said the first one was a joke) relies heavily on using PUC for concerts/events. Not just big concerts but marquee sized also which would put it in direct competition with the events centre. Have heard this has muddied the waters in the negotiations on the viability of the events centre.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Apparently the GAAs business plan for Pairc Ui Chaoimh (the new one after the Government said the first one was a joke) relies heavily on using PUC for concerts/events. Not just big concerts but marquee sized also which would put it in direct competition with the events centre. Have heard this has muddied the waters in the negotiations on the viability of the events centre.

That doesnt make sense.Why would you put on a gig at PUC and have only 6000 people.No doubt they will have their 1 or 2 big stadium gigs a year for the rock and pop heavyweights.The arena should be fine for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sounds Dreamy

That doesnt make sense.Why would you put on a gig at PUC and have only 6000 people.No doubt they will have their 1 or 2 big stadium gigs a year for the rock and pop heavyweights.The arena should be fine for everything else.

The GAA business plan mentions festivals. The expectation is that they be held on the site of the planned centre of excellence. Aiken and GAA have already worked together in the past and this relationship is expected to continue even after the Bruce Springsteen fiasco.

Issue now is will the Marquee threaten the viability of the planned City based events centre and if Live Nation gets wind of this will they run a mile. They're already on tender hooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

The GAA business plan mentions festivals. The expectation is that they be held on the site of the planned centre of excellence. Aiken and GAA have already worked together in the past and this relationship is expected to continue even after the Bruce Springsteen fiasco.

Issue now is will the Marquee threaten the viability of the planned City based events centre and if Live Nation gets wind of this will they run a mile. They're already on tender hooks.

The proposed widening of the lower end of Skehard Road is also linked to Pairc Ui Caoimh and the expected increase in traffic.

Advertisement