Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

do have to have the serial number of your bike before u can report it stolen as there are so many bike the same who.s to say its yours

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lucy_H

My ladies Cube Access WLS 2017 bike was stolen from UCD Science East on Wednesday 4/1/17 between 14:00 and 15:15.
    2 locks were cut (U-lock and padlock/chain) with an angle grinder.
    Bike is 2017 make, new so there aren't many out on the roads yet, only received the day before the theft!
    The model and color really stand out (pink and berry) so if you come across it please let me know. Unfortunately I cannot attach a photo as a new user of Boards.ie, but you can find it online on the Cube 2017 website (sorry for this).
    I'd love any help in getting it back! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

825001_light.jpg

daragh_

That's the one! Thanks a lot for sharing the photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

No probs - hope you get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Very sorry to hear that Lucy, a day old and two locks? That's sickening.
    I'm assuming you've reported it to UCD Services and gardai?

If you go onto well known sites where you can do deals and place adverts :rolleyes: you can set up an alert to receive an email everytime a Cube bike is listed.
    Might be worth a try - best of luck getting it back.

Thanks, it was so unfortunate and I'm so angry about it! I've reported it on the day to both. I know there's a very slim chance to get it back but I'll do my best.

Will keep an eye out everywhere, thanks for the advice :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If you are on twitter or facebook share it there too, that has got bike recovered before
    and keep an eye on done deal and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

really hope you get it back, a good online campaign via fb could help
    but should this be in the stolen bike thread or is that obsolete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eoghan84 wrote: »
    really hope you get it back, a good online campaign via fb could help
    but should this be in the stolen bike thread or is that obsolete?

It should, the mods will merge no doubt.

My ladies Cube Access WLS 2017 bike was stolen from UCD Science East on Wednesday 4/1/17 between 14:00 and 15:15.
    Bike is 2017 make, new so there aren't many out on the roads yet, only received the day before the theft!
    The model and color really stand out (pink and berry) so if you come across it please let me know. Unfortunately I cannot attach a photo or URL as a new user of Boards.ie, but you can find it online on the Cube 2017 website (sorry for this).

Posted on the stolen bikes thread just now, thought it's closed but actually it's not. I shared on Fb as much as I could and got in touch with a good few bike shops. Won't give up too soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lucy_H wrote: »
    The model and color really stand out (pink and berry) so if you come across it please let me know. Unfortunately I cannot attach a photo or URL as a new user of Boards.ie, but you can find it online on the Cube 2017 website (sorry for this).

825001_light.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerome77

How does someone rob a bike in broad daylight with sn angle grinder ? Seriously, I would be angry too. Best of luck op

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Posted on the stolen bikes thread just now, thought it's closed but actually it's not. I shared on Fb as much as I could and got in touch with a good few bike shops. Won't give up too soon :)

If you want pm me, I've give you my FB and twitter details and if you want I'll share on your posts. For whatever reasons am "friends" on FB with a ridiculous number of cyclists,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Phuck sake that is some dose, double locked and in the middle of the day plus it being a brand new bike. There's bad luck and there's bad luck, pity some people are such arseholes. Will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Masala

Why a **** thing to happen. How can no one have seen this in a college environment. Is this the standard of our youth these days.....'not my problem mate"??? And these kids could be running the country in 20 years... God help us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a lot of issues with the yoof of today, but they're not unique in not noticing bikes thefts.

Masala wrote: »
    Why a **** thing to happen. How can no one have seen this in a college environment. Is this the standard of our youth these days.....'not my problem mate"??? And these kids could be running the country in 20 years... God help us

UCD only re-opened on Tues 3rd, the bike was stolen on the 4th. UCD is a ghost town until term starts again on the 16th, there's very few people around. The fact that they stole her bike with grinders is very worrying, there are usually thousands of bikes on campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Is there any bike locks out there that cannot be cut by an angle grinder?

magicmoves wrote: »

I don't think so, there are only thicker locks which take longer to cut with an angle grinder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Science east would have postgrads and staff with a low but reasonable footfall. Ballsy is an understatement. Thieves know their bikes nowadays as I see tons of BSOs locked up with flimsy locks or sometimes not at all in UCD that are never stolen.

There weren't many people around on the day, but I still wonder how no one noticed a guy walking around with an angle grinder (and yeah those cut through any lock really). But what makes me really sad is how unsafe we are on university premises in the middle of the day :(.

Did UCD Services say they would check their CCTV cameras and get back to you? They may have missed the act of the thief stealing your bike, but it must have been cycled off campus and caught on at least one camera? A portable angle grinder is easily hidden under a coat so no one would really have noticed the theif walking round with an angle grinder, even if it was out on show, there's always builders and electricians walking around. The sparks and noise from cutting the locks are the noticeable part - especially on two locks!

I guess nobody heard or people thought could be a builder or electrician as you said. I didn't get much info from the Campus Services so far, they said it's up to the Gardai now...

No harm sending them an email maybe copying a few names asking for an update, keep the theft at the forefront of someone's mind. The fact that you have such exact timeframe and location should make reviewing the cctv quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I guess nobody heard or people thought could be a builder or electrician as you said.

Yeah, walk around anywhere with a power tool in your hand and a high-vis vest on and nobody will give you a second glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

magicmoves wrote: »
    None I have seen, I think some might have rotating covers to try and help.

Problem is the likes of lidl stock cordless grinders these days, so any little scumbag can go in an rob them.

Would be good if there was at least some restriction but cannot think how it could be done.
    I guess nobody heard or people thought could be a builder or electrician as you said.
    They could even dress as one, lash on a high viz vest, look confident and nobody questions anything.

I would be wary confronting these guys, but the least people can do is from a distance roar out "hey, that's my bike"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

MB Lacey wrote: »
    No harm sending them an email maybe copying a few names asking for an update, keep the theft at the forefront of someone's mind. The fact that you have such exact timeframe and location should make reviewing the cctv quite simple.

Best to do this before the cctv footage gets overwritten.
    The first point of contact will probably be reluctant to do a lot since it's extra hassle for them and they probably have little or no interest in recovering your bike.
    Similarly for the gardai in my experience, they will take notes but beyond relying on the frame number in their database to identify the bike should it ever be recovered, there's not much they can/will do.

You need to request a face to face meeting with the head of security in UCD to review the footage captured at the gates at the time of the theft, any CCTV covering the general area where the bike was locked.
    If you encounter any reluctance you need to make it clear that you will escalate the issue of security on campus as far as possible.

Many people only take action when they realise that not doing so, will actually increase their workload.

Advertisement