Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The offical TNA thread - News, Spoilers and the rest...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

rovert wrote: »
    Great point well made. For a non-PG product I don't find TNA all that edgy. Raw is probably more edgy than Impact. The only real non-PG thing is that the knockouts show more cleavage (wrong week to say that I know :P). Maybe Bully Ray says "heck" or "damn" once in a while. But what else?

TNA is hardly ECW is it?

ah more wwe propaganda ECW was bull thats why no one watched it.

well enjoy your disney production. the little mermaid is being remade just thought id give you a heads up,as you might enjoy it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ah more wwe propaganda ECW was bull thats why no one watched it.

well enjoy your disney production. the little mermaid is being remade just thought id give you a heads up,as you might enjoy it. :D

I am trying to drag a discussion out of your one note here....

At least ECW was branded well and had distinct things that it did well and offered an actual alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Bischoff convinced Dixie to move to Monday nights, within a month their rating was halved.

Bischoff convinced Dixie to take Impact on the road, within six months they are having to cut a huge number of staff to stay afloat.

Taking those two in isolation, it's like he was trying to take them down.

He shouldn't be allowed make any big decisions. He's the same guy who killed WCW.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Bischoff convinced Dixie to move to Monday nights, within a month their rating was halved.

Bischoff convinced Dixie to take Impact on the road, within six months they are having to cut a huge number of staff to stay afloat.

He shouldn't be allowed make any big decisions. He's the same guy who killed WCW.

you cant compare grunge to pop. appreciate TNA as a cutting edge alternative to the wwe,just give tna time.

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

you cant compare grunge to pop. appreciate TNA as a cutting edge alternative to the wwe,just give tna time.

hqdefault.jpg
    TNA is about as cutting edge as today's Metallica is today (totally mainstream and sold out for the masses); if you want cuttting edge you'll need to look east (Japan) or to more indy style wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

GTR63 wrote: »
    Seriously? :rolleyes:
    They seem to be just firing shots in the dark now with no clue what to do next. They`d seriously have to consider giving Brooke the bullet she offers nothing & yet I bet is one of the high earners.

They can't touch Brooke. They have to keep Hogan happy in order to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It was only like one show that they did on Monday night, back to back with Raw. I thought it was more of a test. They went back to their original time slot though.

A lot of fans were saying Impact needs to go on the road, that the Impact Zone in Orlando sucked. But even so, the cuts being made a very insignificant cuts. None of them were that big of a deal when you think about it. My only real gripe was them cutting D.O.C but that was Prichard's fault.

I see it as him taking a risk. For years TNA has always stayed the exact same way, he made a few changes to the product. Part of being in a business is taking risks, but i'd like to see how TNA is in another year before I start saying that going on the road was a big failure.

He was also the same guy who started the Monday Night Wars, which caused WWE to change their product and thus the attitude era was born. He was behind NWO and Goldberg's streak, both of which were huge. The only problem was backstage politics and maybe he made a few mistake. But I don't think the downfall of WCW is solely on Bischoff. AOL-Time Warner is what ultimately killed WCW.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

TNA announced that their next “One Night Only” pay-per-view event will be TNA 10 Reunion and it will premiere on Friday, August 2, 2013. Here is the current lineup for the event:

TNA 10 REUNION MATCH LINEUP
    - Four-Way X Division Elimination Match: Sonjay Dutt vs. Kazarian vs. Petey Williams vs. Kenny King
    - Knockouts Match: Velvet Sky vs. Gail Kim
    - Gauntlet Match: Matt Morgan, Joseph Park, Shark Boy, Johnny Devine, Cassidy Reily, Chase Stevens, ODB, Johnny Swinger, Jessie Godderz, and Mr. Anderson
    - Tag Team Match: Team 3D vs. The Latin American Xchange
    - “The Charismatic Enigma” Jeff Hardy vs. Austin Aries
    - “Cowboy” James Storm vs. Bobby Rode
    - Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle vs. “The Samoan Submission Machine” Samoa Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

montyrebel wrote: »
    bit rough considering the neck an all, surely he should have been secure in some sort of job back stage, am sure a lawsuit could be arranged now against tna

also where has zema ion been for a while or have i just not remembered seeing him

Source

Former TNA wrestler Jesse Sorensen is attempting to further his career post-Impact Wrestling, and took up body building while recovering from the nearly life-threatening injury he suffered on television in 2012. In a new fundraiser campaign Jesse started on GoFundMe.com, the former X-Division star claims that TNA President lied to him and his family when she said they would always have a place in the company, following the tragic incident.

"On Feb.12th 2012 during a live match on pay per view vs Zema Ion I suffered a sever neck injury sustaining a broke C-1 vertebrae & herniated C-5 & C-6. After a long recovery process & being promised by the President of TNA Impact Wrestling TNA Dixie Carter I would always have a job with her company, I recently was released from my current contract & shown that those promises were false."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Has to be trolling or else I have been sent back in time to 2007 'cutting edge'
    :D

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    It was only like one show that they did on Monday night, back to back with Raw. I thought it was more of a test. They went back to their original time slot though.

They spent about 3 months getting destroyed before Spike moved them back to Thursday.
    A lot of fans were saying Impact needs to go on the road, that the Impact Zone in Orlando sucked. But even so, the cuts being made a very insignificant cuts. None of them were that big of a deal when you think about it. My only real gripe was them cutting D.O.C but that was Prichard's fault.

The Impact Zone crowd did often suck, but it kept the company going. It was free so it cost a lot less. They have two options right now:

1. Risk having a crap crowd in a permanent base.
    2. Risk going out of business within a year or two.

I know which I'd rather do.

As for the cuts, they wouldnt have needed to make any had they not taken Impact on the road. WON says it costs them $600,000 per taping. Destination X had about 3,000 attendance. Do the math.
    I see it as him taking a risk. For years TNA has always stayed the exact same way, he made a few changes to the product. Part of being in a business is taking risks, but i'd like to see how TNA is in another year before I start saying that going on the road was a big failure.

It's fine to take risks when it isnt your company. If it were his money do you think he'd have even considered it? Not a chance.
    He was also the same guy who started the Monday Night Wars, which caused WWE to change their product and thus the attitude era was born. He was behind NWO and Goldberg's streak, both of which were huge. The only problem was backstage politics and maybe he made a few mistake. But I don't think the downfall of WCW is solely on Bischoff. AOL-Time Warner is what ultimately killed WCW.

He is also the guy who handed out massive contracts to everyone and anyone. That's what did in WCW. It was only a matter of time after that.

Job going here:
    TNA is looking to hire a publicist to join the public relations department. The position reports to the Vice President, Public Relations. Candidates must have 2-3 years of experience pitching and securing media bookings, developing media relationships, and writing press materials. Accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
    • Executing publicity campaigns for IMPACT WRESTLING Live and television events, including tent-pole Pay-Per-View programs
    • Extensive media outreach and relationship-building
    • Drafting various press materials including press releases, media alerts, web content, talent bios, talking points, etc.
    • Oversee public relations assistants/interns
    • Work closely with Marketing team to promote all TNA initiatives including Shop TNA, Knockouts, and other platform extensions
    • Manage operational aspects of public relations department including Cision Media source, Emma email marketing, media contact database, clips tracking, publicity reports

Degree in public relations, sports marketing, journalism a plus. Candidate must be willing to relocate to Nashville, TN, home of TNA Entertainment, LLC. Some travel is involved in this position.

TNA Entertainment, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons because of age, race, color, creed, religion, disability, gender, ethnic or national origin, or veteran status. TNA prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with a disability.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Thats some kinda joke, a publicist now of all times.

To be fair, you cant do much worse :pac:

To be fair, you cant do much worse :pac:

Mel Gibson signs TNA Deal!

They spent about 3 months getting destroyed before Spike moved them back to Thursday.

I'll be honest I can't remember it very well, but I don't remember it being 3 months(not disagreeing with you just can't remember that far back). I only remember the show where Jeff Hardy and a load of other wrestlers made their debut. But I thought it was only after that show that they went back.
    The Impact Zone crowd did often suck, but it kept the company going. It was free so it cost a lot less. They have two options right now:

1. Risk having a crap crowd in a permanent base.
    2. Risk going out of business within a year or two.

I know which I'd rather do.

My point being, how is the company going to grow if they're in the same place all the time? They were exactly the same place they were 10 years ago, with a few changes. I believe taking them on the road was a way of trying to progress. Visit other states and try to get more exposure, they can't do that at the Impact Zone. It was a risk as I said, but that's part of the business. Either way, I'd like to wait and see how thing works out by the end of the year before I agree that it was a total failure.
    As for the cuts, they wouldnt have needed to make any had they not taken Impact on the road. WON says it costs them $600,000 per taping. Destination X had about 3,000 attendance. Do the math.

They made cuts last year before they went on the road though. I remember how last year TNA was renegotiating contracts with certain personnel and led to their departures. Angelina Love and other Knockouts were cut from the roster. As for the cuts being made now, as I said before they are pretty insignificant. But I think a lot of people are over reacting to all this, and it's caused a bit of hysteria on the wrestling forums. Everyone's going on about how this is the end of TNA. I prefer to wait and see tbh.

It's fine to take risks when it isnt your company. If it were his money do you think he'd have even considered it? Not a chance.

Who knows what Bischoff would have done if it was his money, but I think he's just trying to help. I've heard some good stuff about Bischoff backstage, and I believe he is trying to help. But you can't help how things work out. But TNA has been going downhill for some time now, even before they went on the road.
    He is also the guy who handed out massive contracts to everyone and anyone. That's what did in WCW. It was only a matter of time after that

A lot of those contracts worked in his favor though because they had star power behind them. Do you think Vince wouldn't have offered all those wrestlers contract if he could? His only downfall is that he allowed WCW to be caught up with Backstage politics while also having to deal with pressure from tv executives at Time Warner. Which did make things pretty bad for them. But let's just face it, that WCW was destined to fall. They had like two or three good years in the 90's and that was it. But it's history now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I'll be honest I can't remember it very well, but I don't remember it being 3 months(not disagreeing with you just can't remember that far back). I only remember the show where Jeff Hardy and a load of other wrestlers made their debut. But I thought it was only after that show that they went back.

It was 3 months. It was a colossial embarrasment for the company. They totally exposed themselves for what they were; a distant number two that would (and did) get murdered in direct competition with WWE.

My point being, how is the company going to grow if they're in the same place all the time? They were exactly the same place they were 10 years ago, with a few changes.

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced they can grow anymore. They peaked years ago. Over one million people watch Impact every week, and their PPVs get around 6000 buys on average, their house shows go as low as 400. That's mad when you think about it. Either the market just isn't there for a second wrestling company that people want to spend their money on, or the TNA brand is just totally fucked after years of messing the audience round.
    I believe taking them on the road was a way of trying to progress. Visit other states and try to get more exposure, they can't do that at the Impact Zone. It was a risk as I said, but that's part of the business. Either way, I'd like to wait and see how thing works out by the end of the year before I agree that it was a total failure.

I would call it a total failure. Dixie has had to get her Mum in to sort out the companies finances. Hulk Hogan is behind on his pay. The talent can see the writing on the wall; eternal company man Sting wants out. They've sacked a cripple for God's sake! The forecast is not good.

I've heard some good stuff about Bischoff backstage, and I believe he is trying to help.

It was 3 months. It was a colossial embarrasment for the company. They totally exposed themselves for what they were; a distant number two that would (and did) get murdered in direct competition with WWE.

Fair enough, but that was years ago anyway. I suppose going against WWE was a mistake considering they're just too big for TNA to compete with.
    Unfortunately, I'm not convinced they can grow anymore. They peaked years ago. Over one million people watch Impact every week, and their PPVs get around 6000 buys on average, their house shows go as low as 400. That's mad when you think about it. Either the market just isn't there for a second wrestling company that people want to spend their money on, or the TNA brand is just totally fucked after years of messing the audience round.

I believe the problem lies with TNA's business strategy. I've always though they have a pretty bad way of promoting their product, advertising, a marketing etc. So I think there is a problem with that. But I'm also under the impression that TNA is just in neutral and doesn't seem to want to grow, which is why I thought that maybe this is what brought on all the change. Hogan and Bischoff might have thought that making changes and going on the road might be a new game changer for TNA.

I would call it a total failure. Dixie has had to get her Mum in to sort out the companies finances. Hulk Hogan is behind on his pay. The talent can see the writing on the wall; eternal company man Sting wants out. They've sacked a cripple for God's sake! The forecast is not good.

Dixie's mom has had to bail her out before though. Didn't her mom take over the last year or the year before and Dixie took a leave of absence. Besides TNA is backed by Panda Energy, so I would imagine they've been funding TNA for years, but it's only in the last two years that it's been reported on.

As for the talent. I don't think anyone knows really what the talent thinks right now. I've been anticipating that Sting has been planning to leave for a long time anyway. He just doesn't look like he's really into it anymore, and I suspected that once this Ace & 8s/MEM storyline is over, he will retire. But I don't think it's TNA's financial difficulties that would result in him wanting to leave. Things might look grim now, but I still think people are over reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

She was never going to come out and say they're in trouble, they needed to go on a bit of a PR offensive and this is the start of it. A good point for them is the last three weeks of shows has probably been the best run of good shows in a year or so. Not blow away by any means but a reasonable step up from earlier this year.

• Advertisement

She said there are new talent over the next couple of months, so it doesn't seem to bad if they're able to still bring talent in. For all the releases we've seen, we've also seen some old faces return.

She was never going to come out and say they're in trouble, they needed to go on a bit of a PR offensive and this is the start of it. A good point for them is the last three weeks of shows has probably been the best run of good shows in a year or so. Not blow away by any means but a reasonable step up from earlier this year.

since 2003 people have been saying TNA has been going bust,dont mind them they are just tv-PG wwe fans. :cool:

since 2003 people have been saying TNA has been going bust,dont mind them they are just tv-PG wwe fans. :cool:

That's not true. It has been widely reported TNA was profitable in successive years.

rovert wrote: »
    That's not true. It has been widely reported TNA was profitable in successive years.

yes but these rumors have been around for the last 10 years,how old are you??

surely you would know this??

Ok this continues to be a pointless excercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

yes but these rumors have been around for the last 10 years,how old are you??

surely you would know this??

You're like the last man to stumble out of a night club mad for a scrap but is too drunk to see that everyone realises you're not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did TNA make the decision to go out on the road themselves or was it forced upon them when Universal Studios decided not to renew the lease.

I know the official line is that they (TNA) made the decision but I'm just curious is there more to it. A pinch of salt rumour I heard was that WWE could be interested in opening a Hall of Fame building in the park at some point in the future.

It was Tna's decision to go on the road to move the company forward.
    Wtf is Dixie doing a Q+A for after firing Sorensen?

Did TNA make the decision to go out on the road themselves or was it forced upon them when Universal Studios decided not to renew the lease.

I know the official line is that they (TNA) made the decision but I'm just curious is there more to it. A pinch of salt rumour I heard was that WWE could be interested in opening a Hall of Fame building in the park at some point in the future.

Bischoff and Hogan pushed for it after they did a few random shows outside of Orlando, with a fairly attendance. Unfortunately, nobody bothered to have a look at the financial side of things.

• Advertisement

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/07/quinton-jackson-vs-roy-jones-jr-boxing-bout-targeted-for-year-end-ppv
    If this happens Anderson Silva will cry on brasilian tv again. Sorry for posting it here but I can't be bothered finding the UFC thread at the minute on my phone.

Advertisement