Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topical discussion, no place for it in AH

Options
  • 12-06-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone give a brief outline as to what purpose AH serves exactly? Some feed(back/forward) about that would be nice.

People complain about the lack of discussion in AH and how it's a dumping ground for unintellectual garbage that has no place anywhere else.. "This isn't AH" A line trotted out by mods all over the place.. fair enough, AH threads usually contain all manner of mannerisms, tangents and innuendos.

There was a World Cup thread closed.. because some people had the cheek to talk about football in it =o

AH is about the way in which conversation happens.. not what conversation is happening. It's supposed to be a more open board, and one where not-so-many restrictions apply on what you can post.

One single thread, on a current event which people want to talk about; is not going to obliterate AH. Sure it could be discussed in Soccer, but many are not that interested in soccer, or in discussing the technical side of the sport. AH Mods should be, at least able to differentiate what is a rare chain of memetic interest in a subject & the prolonged abuse of that being a 'loophole' in what is allowed.

The thread was doing no harm to either AH or the Soccer Forum.. it was serving its purpose and shouldn't have been closed, imo
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Agree. People might like to tal about how the WC is effecting their lives, non specific football issues, and aren't subscribed to the soccer forum.

Regards the AH, it might be an idea to have a sub-forum for schock-media stories and discussion of them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If one of the players die, you'll be quids in.

That way, the thread will be kept open and nobody will be allowed to troll it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

stovelid wrote: »
    If one of the players die, you'll be quids in.

That way, the thread will be kept open and nobody will be allowed to troll it.

LOL :D

Soccer threads--> Soccer
    Game related --> Soccer
    Hate/Fav team --> Soccer
    Best/Worst player --> Soccer
    Best hair --> Fashion and Apperance
    Soccer game riots --> AH
    Columbian president murders under performing team --> AH
    Nike V Addidas --> AH
    Your country of choice for a world cup --> AH(ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rabies wrote: »

:D

I've not contributed to it myself but I can see that there would be people who are not really soccer-heads (or who don't want to go to the soccer forum) who might want to natter informally about the world cup. The tournament is the one that even non-aficionados like.

Unless there are a load of deleted posts in that AH thread (in which case, I apologize) it looked quite civil and that it was only one poster (who doesn't like soccer IIRC) was trolling and, rather ungraciously, was the first to thank the mod who closed it.

Don't get me wrong though. I do see the potential shit-storm around stuff like the England and France games and the like. Maybe it was a pre-emptive close with that England game in mind? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Whatever about the thread itself - and I don't really see the harm in allowing one World Cup thread, but I accept it if the mods really don't want it - was allowing one poster to stir sh1t on both of the football threads (the World Cup one and the "I hate football" thread), troll them both, and instead of him getting a slap on the wrist or asked to stop, everyone else was asked not to feed the troll, and both threads ended up locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Regards the AH, it might be an idea to have a sub-forum for schock-media stories and discussion of them.

Run To Da Hills would have a field day!!! :D
    Rabies wrote: »
    LOL :D

Soccer threads--> Soccer
    Game related --> Soccer
    Hate/Fav team --> Soccer
    Best/Worst player --> Soccer
    Best hair --> Fashion and Apperance
    Soccer game riots --> AH
    Nike V Addidas --> AH
    Your country of choice for a world cup --> AH(ish)

"Irish women are stuck-up" discussions --> AH
    "Foreign people" discussions --> AH
    "British people" discussions --> AH
    "Are British people foreign?" discussions --> AH
    "Ur so ghey" discussions --> AH
    "What's the most drunk/angry/happy/ghey you've ever been?" discussions --> AH

BRUTALLY CASTRATE SEX OFFENDERS AND THEN JAIL THEIR EVIL TESTCIALS FOR LIFE + 20 YEARS BECAUSE OF SOMETHING I READ IN THE SUNDAY WORLD = AH STICKIED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Too many current affairs threads in AH, tbh!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

One single thread, on a current event which people want to talk about; is not going to obliterate AH.

Couldn't agree more.

I have never understood what the big hullabaloo was with the odd sport related thread (International Soccer, Grand National etc)

We know there is a Soccer forum, churning that out every time someone dares have a chat about international soccer is a joke at this stage. Everyone KNOWS there is a Soccer forum.

--- *Why don't you use it then!* :mad: ---

Same reason we don't want to use all the other forums for every damn thing that we wish to discuss in AH.

There is a Political forum, a Celeb forum, a Food & Drink forum, Film forum, Music forum etc etc etc

Will all threads now be locked that have topics that are really more suited to these individual forums??

No, of course not - so why is ONE damn thread being set aside for events like the World Cup or International games too much to ask?

Is it because people might argue about Henry or England??

Well, so what if they do.

If some poster gets abusive or unruly, ban them from posting in the thread, same as what happens if someone gets abusive or unruly on ANY thread on AH, particularly the political ones.

If that locked thread is not reopened, or at the very least, another one started to allow for World Cup banter - then there is just going to be a slew of new World Cup related threads started each and every day for the next month, that's obvious and seems to be to be an avoidable headache if AH Mods just could just argree to having one thread for World Cup talk.

I understand the thinking behind there not been soccer related threads such as "Liverpool just signed Ronaldo.." (or other such team gossip), but this is topical and very much something which the general public are discussing in pubs, taxis etc and so at least one thread should be provided for AH regulars who so obviously wish there to be one, so that they can banter about it just as they are able to do when it comes to all other current affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

K-9 wrote: »
    Too many current affairs threads in AH, tbh!

too many people use 'tbh' to finish their posts, it irritates me, if Im being 100% truthful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

it's really very simple. some mods get a kick out of locking a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

only with certain posters.

Your name helps me remember the list

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

As the mod who locked that thread, I can tell you that is simply not true. I'll be offline most of the day but I'll try to answer more thoroughly later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Have to agree with Url and Pete. I don't see the harm in having at least one megathread on a subject that's on everyone's lips at the moment. I'm quite baffled by the current situation where you can tell a lot of people would love to add their 2c about matches (in the most popular general discussion area on boards) but not necessarily in the more intense atmosphere of the soccer forum. Perhaps if the current mods don't want to look after it then one or both of Url and Pete could be made temporary mods for the duration of the WC just for that thread? I really don't foresee any more trouble in it than the average AH thread, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hate Soccer so much I secretly want claw at the face of anyone who brings the subject up in my company. But I understand there is a huge popularity for it, the WC is a large current event and therefore a hot topic among the chattering classes. I don't see why there couldn't be a thread in AH for it, to contain it all in AH style. It's not like its the Premier League which is where you get the larger amount of pain in the arsehole passionate fanboi troublemakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even though you have a very general title on this thread I sense it's only about soccer you want to chat so here goes:

AH mods discussed the WC well in advance to decide whether we should say no to all threads, say yes to some or allow WC discussion fully in AH.

With the amount of trolls and sheer numbers of user in AH it would be unwieldy to fully allow it (also we don't want to draw away users from the Soccer forum).

We decided that to close anything remotely related would also be too strict so settled on that if the thread doesn't discuss results, players or specific matches it can stay. For instance the Jonjo thread that worked for a while the inevitable results discussion started and thread got locked.

There is a Vuvuzela thread, a Engerland thread, a North Korea thread and a Trevor Steven thread, all 4 still open.
    There is a "Crucifying Robert Green" thread that definitely should have been in Soccer but user doesn't have access there or have some other reason.
    Users that wanted to discuss results etc had several weeks to apply for access to Soccer, as per my sticky.

Many AH posters simply refuse to post in other forums. they want to discuss things in "their forum", even though there are many better suited forums.
    In short "the forum doesn't come to you, you must go to the forum".

And no, this will not change if I can help it.

Ireland is not even playing for fecks sake!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think that any direct threads that are opened based around the WC should be moved.

If one wants to discuss North Korea and its behaviour - using the WC and that as just one example amid others thats fine, but to start off a thread based solely around the WC, be it media related, player related, score related, etc - its all World Cup stuff, no if's or buts.

A rule is either applied or not. Distinctions have to be made but those that try and smartly try and go around those rules by initial misdirection, should be told plainly where to go to --> the soccer or media sections.

If not, we get what we are getting now only after TWO days!
    AH starting to fill with everything World Cup related to some degree.
    I'm seriously considering staying away from AH and Boards.ie till this bloody thing is over.
    (The Trevor Steven thread for example has CLEARLY gone from a supposed(!) media thread to one of soccer theme.)

Will view AH for another day and if it continues as its going, will take a break for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Biggins, that's a tad extreme.. nobody is forcing you to read the threads. Just because you don't have an interest in it doesn't mean nobody else does.. and if there was a single thread for WC discussion then it wouldn't be a case that discussions elsewhere were turning into discussions about soccer. You've started plenty of threads which may have been better placed in say Politics, and people have happilly taken part in them and discussed the topics without threatening to strike because the threads don't belong in AH

The type of discussion that was taking place in that thread would not be allowed in Soccer due to the off-topicness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Biggins, that's a tad extreme.. nobody is forcing you to read the threads. Just because you don't have an interest in it doesn't mean nobody else does.. and if there was a single thread for WC discussion then it wouldn't be a case that discussions elsewhere were turning into discussions about soccer. You've started plenty of threads which may have been better placed in say Politics, and people have happilly taken part in them and discussed the topics without threatening to strike because the threads don't belong in AH

The type of discussion that was taking place in that thread would not be allowed in Soccer due to the off-topicness
    True somewhat, however some of the threads I post relate to social issues that also involve politics.
    I might be guilty however as you say of breaking the rule myself sometimes.
    In recent months I've declined many an opportunity to post/start-up political threads in AH - even though there is no clear rule not to so so.
    I've avoided joining in with the bashing of any politician in AH, be it Harney or anyone else.
    I kopped myself on (and about time too).

I had hoped despite this that there might be somewhere that might be free of the world cup madness and all that it brings but even in AH its starting to seep in more so daily.
    So I guess I will take a break for a while rather than annoy people in AH. I've many good friends and the rest are all good folk so I don't want to be a further pain.
    See ye all in a few weeks and those that are into the football, I hope ye get some good entertainment and a bit of good craic.

All the best. :)

biko wrote: »
    With the amount of trolls and sheer numbers of user in AH it would be unwieldy to fully allow it (also we don't want to draw away users from the Soccer forum).

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

Don't want to draw users away from the Soccer Forum??

With ONE thread?

Genuine Soccer Forum regulars wouldn't want to use that thread, I lurk the Soccer Forum daily and when that thread was open, only two Soccer Forum regulars posted in it and even then I think it was just a couple of posts.

No thread in AH is going to draw users away from the Soccer Forum.
    We decided that to close anything remotely related would also be too strict so settled on that if the thread doesn't discuss results, players or specific matches it can stay.

A nonsensical decision.
    There is a Vuvuzela thread, a Engerland thread, a North Korea thread and a Trevor Steven thread, all 4 still open.

FOUR THREADS that have to be modded to make sure that nobody starts discussing soccer.

Yeah, that sounds like a much better idea than having just one 'general world cup thread'.

You must be naive if you think those threads will stay 'soccer free'.

As soon as the footie kicks off, then inevitably someone will see those threads as a place to mention a goal that just took place.
    There is a "Crucifying Robert Green" thread that definitely should have been in Soccer but user doesn't have access there or have some other reason.

Well now that seems like a odd thing to post Biko, as I would say another poster that does not have Soccer Forum access will start a thread and if it's locked will quote the above and then you will have another Feedback thread screaming that his thread was locked yet the 'Robert Green' one wasn't.
    Users that wanted to discuss results etc had several weeks to apply for access to Soccer, as per my sticky.

This again.

Could you or another AH Mod address the points I made regarding this:
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    --- *Why don't you use the Soccer Forum* ---

Same reason we don't want to use all the other forums for every damn thing that we wish to discuss in AH.

There is a Political forum, a Celeb forum, a Food & Drink forum, Film forum, Music forum etc etc etc

Will all threads now be locked that have topics that are really more suited to those individual forums??

No, of course not - so why is ONE damn thread being set aside for events like the World Cup or International games too much to ask?

Nothing in your post addresses the above, it's just the same ole 'use the Soccer Forum' line churned out yet again with no clear and understandable reason why ONE 'general World Cup discussion' thread is not workable.

On the contrary, the allowing of multiply "non soccer" threads just seems to be giving yourselves even more Mod workload.

What is SOO special about Soccer that it has to be kept to one forum?

Why allow Politics threads that cause more heated debates that result in banning than any other topic.

Why is this different than soccer?

Sometimes there can be ten politically themed threads going at the same time, yet ONE for the World Cup is a no-no.
    Ireland is not even playing for fecks sake!!

What has that got to do with anything?

The pubs are packed with with people watching the games, it's being discussed everywhere you go .. but hey, lets not have a thread to discuss it in After Hours, we'll just draw users away from the Soccer Forum if we do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938631

and even THIS gets locked?
    this is disgraceful carry on.

SV wrote: »

Was just about to say exaclty the same thing. Thread is about jounralism and jingoism, not football. If we want to dfisucss the merits of the game, yes - soccer. But media reaction to it? AH.

With all due respect to Micky Dolenz, this one isn't even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Was just about to say exaclty the same thing. Thread is about jounralism and jingoism, not football. If we want to dfisucss the merits of the game, yes - soccer. But media reaction to it? AH.

With all due respect to Micky Dolenz, this one isn't even close.

Really, second line of first post reveals result of a game, followed by more results of other games played before WC. There is a whole section of boards allocated for that kind of talk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sometimes there can be ten politically themed threads going at the same time, yet ONE for the World Cup is a no-no.
    Good point.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Really, second line of first post reveals result of a game, followed by more results of other games played before WC. There is a whole section of boards allocated for that kind of talk.

Then a mod warning to stay on topic would have sufficed. Sorry, but there are threads all the time of media reporting that stay in AH.

Also, the following posts were also about media reaction to soccer events. If I had mentioned Ryle Nugent after the Henieken Cup final, would I have been told to take it to Rugby?

I'm guessing not.

Then a mod warning to stay on topic would have sufficed. Sorry, but there are threads all the time of media reporting that stay in AH.

Also, the following posts were also about media reaction to soccer events. If I had mentioned Ryle Nugent after the Henieken Cup final, would I have been told to take it to Rugby?

I'm guessing not.

If posters follow guidelines here , (which state clearly that any talk of results will end in thread closure) there won't be a problem.

SV wrote: »

And this is what will go on for the next month.

As I said in my last post only a 45 minutes ago, posters will inevitably mention scores in those threads and they will have to be locked.
    If posters follow guidelines here , (which state clearly that any talk of results will end in thread closure) there won't be a problem.

It's is naive in the extreme to think that non-soccer related World Cup threads would stay 'soccer free'.

One thread could have been set aside for ALL World Cup talk and all this crap would have been avoided.

That way, all the AH regulars that HATE soccer, would only have to avoid ONE thread, now they will have a month of seeing five different 'non-soccer' World Cup threads each day.

I find it hard to believe that all eight AH moderators could think that this was the way to go.

I accept that you all have agreed to this after discussing it, but please tell me there was at least one lone voice saying that a World Cup Thread might be a better way to go as dealing with constant multiple threads everyday for a month will be a nightmare.

Any discussions of players, matches or results in After Hours will result in deleted posts or thread being locked.

You're not listening.

Football was not discussed. Players were not discussed. Matches were not discussed. Results were not discussed. Journalism was attempted to be discussed before you locked the thread. The 1-1 draw was not even mentioned, other than by the opening link.

Again - would you have locled the thread if it had been discussing media reaction to a different sport?

It's is naive in the extreme to think that non-soccer related World Cup threads would stay 'soccer free'.

Exactly, that's why, I for one, want no soccer related threads in AH.

The Mods of AH have discussed this at length and even if one or two were willing to mod a mega thread, inevitably we would all end up modding it when people are off line. We are not soccer forum mods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

And this is what will go on for the next month.

As I said in my last post only a 45 minutes ago, posters will inevitably mention scores in those threads and they will have to be locked.

they don't HAVE to be locked though.
    it's a good rule introduced to stop AH being overrun with threads on the WC being taken to the extreme.

it's like prosecuting someone for speeding when they're 1km/h over the speed limit

Advertisement