Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle4DSI Lap De Gaps 14-May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

I see that they are reporting 850 cyclists out this morning on FB, that's a great turnout, I'm just sorry it wasn't 851 but couldn't get away today, hope everyone has a great day and comes home safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just finished. Fantastic weather and great food stop in Laragh. Thanks to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Somehow made it round.
    Fantastic weather and the craic was great.

I had totally underestimated the effort required for wicklow gap and hollywood hill, still, first time breaking 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Just finished. Fantastic weather and great food stop in Laragh. Thanks to all involved.

Were you that dude wearing a pink boards jersey? I think you went by me just before Glenmacnass (sp?) waterfall....

I was wearing that fluoro green kit from a prominent team in the TDF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

What a great sportif. Perfect weather, good food (worth waiting for the burger at the finish) and everyone in great form. It doesn't get much better than flying down the Wicklow Gap on a good surface with a following wind and sunshine.

Only slight blip was an idiot in a Tinkoff gilet throwing a gel wrapper into the ditch going up the Wicklow Gap (and this was 10 minutes after a generous food stop!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Excellent all round. Easy registration, great stewards, great weather (if a bit cold), serious spread of food in Laragh and ready burger at the end. First time up Wicklow gap, great route.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Fantastic event. Great food at Larragh and at the start. Great marshals and everyone in good spirits. First time doing it and will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just sitting down after getting back and washed. Fantastic event and food stop etc was great.

I very much under estimated this and had only ever done 1 century ride previously last summer.

I ended up doing a walk of shame for the last 100m before the summit of Sally gap but made it around the rest, just about.

Pretty sure WW200 is out of my reach this year so will have to look at that for next year.

Only down side was the long wait for the BBQ which I just skipped as a result. It smelt amazing though and unfortunately the nature of that type of food requires waiting so not going to hold it against anyone.

Hope it raised a lot of funds for DSI. Looking forward to seeing some of the snaps.

PS I wore my boards long sleeve jersey for the first 15km or so but took it off as I was overheating. Cheers to group who spotted it hanging out of my jersey about to fall, appreciated.

Glad I have it under my belt now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Had a really good day today, if slightly eventful!
    Missed the first turn for the 100k, then when I turned back I ended up on the 50k, only rejoining the 100k just before Valleymount! This added 12k to the day for me, plus a fair bit of extra climbing I'd reckon!
    Anyway, back on the main route, about 9-10k from the gap, my tyre blew. And it was a tear in the sidewall of the tyre, not just a puncture.
    Thanks to the two lads who pointed out the emergency number on the bbq card, I'd have probably never even thought to look. Without it I was ringing basecamp and going home.
    I rang and the mechanic was with me in less than 15 minutes, and I was soon back on the road. Great services, hats of to BikeAhoy (I think?), really deserve credit for that.
    Found the Gap handy enough today, but Im well used to it, and made good time back to Laragh.
    Foodstop was excellent.
    I got up thw Wicklow Gap nicely, I am climbing well, but thats always been my strongsuit on a bike.
    The last 20k I kinda died a little tho! And the final 10k into the wind was frankly murder for me!
    Why is that always the way?!
    Ended up with 116k on the clock, avg of 25.3kmph, with nearly 1600m of climbing (whats the climbinh total for the actual 103k? :P). Not bad I think as I had almost no time in a group as I was cycling solo.
    BBQ at the end was lovely, a nice burger that was very much needed. Bit of a queue but worth it.
    Only complaint I'd have, and its more for idiots like me who miss signs, is to have marshalls at turn offs for the specific routes. But its a small thing, and the service I had with the tyre blowout more than cancels it out :)
    Weather was lovely, freezing for the first 30-40 mins but once it warmed up it was perfect, sunny with clear skies, warm but a nice cooling breeze so you disnt melt on the climbs. I was very comfortable in armwarmers for the whole lot, bar the last 4-5k of the Wicklow Gap.
    Really enjoyed the event, its very spectacular and altho I was cycled for years around that area, it took in a lot of parts I've never seen, mainly around Lacken. Even spotted a pub, the Lake View, that I have to pay a visit to!
    So all in all a lovely, enjoyable day and agood challenge.
    Will be on the calendar for next year without a doubt.
    Hats off to the organisers, these types of events really show the value of volunteerism in sport. Sport the world over would be lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Did the 100k route, to previous poster my garmin showed 1400m approx of climbing. Was a great event, really well run and a spread in Laragh that could feed an army. A couple of the club mountain goats dragged me up the two major climbs. The run from Sally to Laragh was hampered slightly by a caravan type vehicle thing (RV maybe), had to make a dash to pass it out on the lower slopes. Burger at the end of was delicious. Three of us then headed off and did another lap of the lakes bringing total for the day to 145K with 1800m climbed. Excellent event, well done to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Did the 100km route today, probably one of the last people out of the gates (along with the OH) at a bit after 10 (maybe 20 past), since I only got off a long haul flight shortly after 8am this morning, and had to swing by home to get changed, get bike, etc. In hindsight (and to be honest even ahead of it I was pretty sure!) this was not ideal preparation for it at all, and had massive issues with calf spasms/cramps at a few points. Was pretty slow around it at maybe 23ish average at the end (haven't checked/uploaded Garmin yet), but we met a group we know at the food stop which made it a bit easier/changed the feeling of chasing people around. OH also punctured on the way down the Sally Gap above Glenmacnass, and we were passed by a bearded boardsie going in the opposite direction while fixing it.

First year doing this event, though have meant to do it in past years but circumstances got in the way each time, so was determined to do everything to make this, including above dash from airport to home to start line! Will be back again if just for the burger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    I had all planned to ride this event tomorrow,but it was today!!
    I really should'nt have presumed it would be on a Sunday!
    The reports show I missed out on a great spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Great thank you to all the volunteers today, as said above a few more marshals at turn offs would help but that's only a small thing, got out the gates after 8ish so roads were quiet, great spin - savage spread in Laragh and burger at the end was AWSOME !!!!! Found heading from Hollywood back to BLessinton tough .. All in all a super day .. Will be back again ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Anto12 wrote: »
    <snip>Found heading from Hollywood back to BLessinton tough .. All in all a super day .. Will be back again ..

It was tough, that last bit. my poor legs were hanging off me trying to keep up with a little group I latched on to!

Well done to everyone who did this, and especially the volunteers, special thanks to you guys/gals.

The spread in laragh was unbelieveable, isotonic mixed water in tanks, gels, crisps and a whole plethora of stuff I haven't seen on one of these before. I was really tempted to load up on a load of the "free" stuff then realised I'd have to carry it up the Wicklow gap!

Great day of cycling.

Props to the "Pulse" "couple" who passed me going up Sally Gap who commented to each other "at least no one has passed us out", who took my spurious comment of "here, yis pricks, you can't say that sh1t while passing me out, I HAVE FEELINGS", in good spirits. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few of use were held up just after Manor Kilbride as a few lads closed the road while they felled a tree (with very dodgy health & safety practices!). That's a new one for me.
    Einstein? wrote: »
    Were you that dude wearing a pink boards jersey? I think you went by me just before Glenmacnass (sp?) waterfall....

I was wearing that fluoro green kit from a prominent team in the TDF ;)
    I was wearing the pink boards kit but I don't think that was me.

I recall passing a chap in a pro kit just after the Sally Gap. He subsequently passed me (he was faster in downhill cornering- my weak point), I passed him again nearer Glenmacnass but I didn't see him in at the food stop given that there was only one other cyclist there. Strava FlyBy indicates he turned for Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Had a really great day on this! Quite chilly at first but decided to take my windbreaker off after about 20k and never needed it again. Got burnt to a crisp as I always forget suncream. Felt really good all day though! Great day on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Always thought it would a nice idea if sportives had a bit of cheap suncream available at foodstops, for us pasty Irish who often forget to wear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

terrydel wrote: »
    Always thought it would a nice idea if sportives had a bit of cheap suncream available at foodstops, for us pasty Irish who often forget to wear it!

I seem to recall one of the Naas CC sportives (possibly the Tour of Kildare) having minis of sun screen available at the start line in the past, or in the goodie bags or something. Basically no explicit cost for it anyway.

cython wrote: »
    I seem to recall one of the Naas CC sportives (possibly the Tour of Kildare) having minis of sun screen available at the start line in the past, or in the goodie bags or something. Basically no explicit cost for it anyway.

Tour of Kilkenny (Utter See you next tuesday IMO) had the same, plus a little UV "card" for some scientific use, that I am not sure of. Like some sort of "sun" litmus paper yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Did the 100km on my hybrid in 3hrs 50 with an average of 27km so was happy with that. I opted for the 100km route in the wicklow 200km - the 200km scares me. Do you think the 200km would be achievable if you compare the climbs on that to the climbs on the 100km lap de gaps yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

some of the photos are posted here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Lovely event for a good price and good charity. Can see this one getting bigger and bigger as other events price themselves out of it. The best spread I've ever seen at an event at the stop in Laragh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Very well organised, great food/drink at the food stop and back at the GAA club. Well done and thanks to all involved in organising.

some of the photos are posted here

More here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Despite my best plans, I ended up doing the 50k on Saturday as I wasn't feeling great in the morning. It was my first sportive and first solo spin - I really enjoyed it and was happy with my spin. The great weather and atmosphere really added to it. Next year I'm definitely doing the 100k!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Great day out. Well done to everybody involved. Great route, great food and great weather. Fair play to the lads for the links to the photos. Some cracking shots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

ptogher14 wrote: »
    Fair play to the lads for the links to the photos. Some cracking shots

Some more at https://www.facebook.com/EamonWalshe/media_set?set=a.10208548050513216.1073741877.1067076076&type=3&pnref=story

(but none of me:()

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Nice to see some of the 50k route (I've only seen photos of the gaps/Laragh) but unfortunately none of me - I clearly left too early! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Great event, really enjoyed it, very well organised and a super spread of food at the stop in Larragh, more than you could want! The great weather was a big plus of course, but still a great route, defo be back next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Advertisement