Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Spear wrote: »
    The office is aware, that set of images are in the process of being sorted.

Nice one guys - top bar images are showing as previously again - and all the attachments (eg. link) are back also!
    Cheers :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Worztron wrote: »
    I'm getting no email notifications for all of my subscribed threads. :confused:

I'm also not receiving any e-mail notifications. I hope that this can be resolved soon, please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

BandMember wrote: »
    I'm also not receiving any e-mail notifications. I hope that this can be resolved soon, please?

I found they turn back on once you visit each thread, weird to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Mine don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

CramCycle wrote: »
    I found they turn back on once you visit each thread, weird to say the least

Mine don't but I do get some email notifications (not all my subscribed threads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CF is acting up. VPN bypassed the issue.

ni2T5jAm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dav wrote: »
    As for the double posts, I'll try to get it prioritised for today

Seems fixed now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

BandMember wrote: »

I got an email notification for this post but none for my other subscribed threads.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Why would you want email notifications? They are stupid.

Just check your subscribed threads?

I find it much easier to get email notifications in order to keep track of all posts in my subscribed threads.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I find it much easier to get email notifications in order to keep track of all posts in my subscribed threads.

Just go here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/usercp.php

or here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

By literally getting a mail for each post? When I first started on boards that was the most annoying thing.

You have 'my threads' there to tell you what threads have been posted in?
    You can then pull up a menu that shows threads you are subscribed to that haven't new posts in.

It's far cleaner than getting loads of mail saying johnny has messaged you or Mary had commented on a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sorry but what?

Maybe you don't like the emails, but we do!

The cheek of some people!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Sorry but what?

Maybe you don't like the emails, but we do!

The cheek of some people!

I can send you a letter notifying if people comment in threads as well if you like?
    Just refresh you're my threads tab and saves you hundreds of spam mails.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can send you a letter notifying if people comment in threads as well if you like?

It only alerts you to the first response AFAIK, not to every single post, just the first one until you check the thread again.

I find it very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The boards site is very slow and sluggish for me especially on slow internet. By getting emails I know exactly when things are posted in and I can read the email without spending the effort of going into the thread. No spam mail as Boards.ie is all in one folder.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its automatically unimportant as some people here have been suggesting.

Nah. Sorry.
    I have deemed it unimportant, therefore it's unimportant for everyone.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

just don't set up a new email for your boards account and then forget about it...

http://i.imgur.com/lOmrniy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

New Home wrote: »

Nah. Don't work... tried that.... several times. I get an occasional mail only since the attack.

And I like the morning emails I get... saves trawling posts.

TT

New Home wrote: »

So I have to manually check for new posts? No thanks.

I wish boards would fix the attachments and email issue.

By literally getting a mail for each post? When I first started on boards that was the most annoying thing.

You have 'my threads' there to tell you what threads have been posted in?
    You can then pull up a menu that shows threads you are subscribed to that haven't new posts in.

It's far cleaner than getting loads of mail saying johnny has messaged you or Mary had commented on a thread.

I prefer the email notifications. I haven't subbed to loads of busy threads so the emails I get are manageable.

Why do things manually when there's an automatic way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

TopTec wrote: »
    Nah. Don't work... tried that.... several times. I get an occasional mail only since the attack.

And I like the morning emails I get... saves trawling posts.

TT

I don't mean to be thick, and I appreciate that you prefer getting emails which is fair enough :), but can I ask what exactly doesn't work with those links? :confused: The first link will only show you your unread posts and PMs at the top of the page, and if you click on the little square with the arrow down on the left of the thread title it'll bring you to your first unread post, so there'd be no trawling. I'm genuinely puzzled...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,923 ✭✭✭✭muffler

CramCycle wrote: »
    It only alerts you to the first response AFAIK, not to every single post, just the first one until you check the thread again.

I find it very useful.
    Yes, spot on.

From a modding pov its a very useful tool so the sooner the email alerts are sorted the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

They're top priority, but it's a very difficult issue to resolve successfully. Now that we've got our DDoS defences up (CloudFlare), the various services across the globe that try to kill Spam are falsely identifying our stuff as spam because whilst it says it's coming from Boards.ie, it's being sent through a Cloudflare connection, so it's tripping alarms. It's messy and fiddly to fix, but believe us, we need it fixed as a matter of urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Dav wrote: »
    They're top priority, but it's a very difficult issue to resolve successfully. Now that we've got our DDoS defences up (CloudFlare), the various services across the globe that try to kill Spam are falsely identifying our stuff as spam because whilst it says it's coming from Boards.ie, it's being sent through a Cloudflare connection, so it's tripping alarms. It's messy and fiddly to fix, but believe us, we need it fixed as a matter of urgency.

Why does your mail have to go out through Cloudflare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I prefer the email notifications. I haven't subbed to loads of busy threads so the emails I get are manageable.

Why do things manually when there's an automatic way?
    So you only visit the site rarely? And keep track of threads you have interest in through emails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

my3cents wrote: »

Cause it's all dynamically generated by the VBulletin software which lives behind our Cloudflare protection now. That's as far as my knowledge of the system goes I'm afraid, I'll ask for something with a bit more detail from the lads tomorrow.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

my3cents wrote: »

Not speaking from any detailed knowledge of this situation, but from a general sense of how these things work:

Boards.ie's traffic is now routed via Cloudflare. If you want to think of it in simplistic terms, Cloudflare is Boards.ie's ISP. Asking why their mail has to go out through Cloudflare is like asking why your connection to this website has to go out through your ISP's network - the answer is, because that's the route out.

edit: Dav just got in before me!

Maybe it could be possible to set up a mail server on a different ISP to send mail.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Maybe it could be possible to set up a mail server on a different ISP to send mail.

The problem arises when you send large volumes of mail with "@boards.ie" addresses on them from an IP address that doesn't reverse-resolve to a boards.ie DNS name. That's taken by many spam filters as a strong indication of spam.

Plus, a mail server that isn't behind Cloudflare is vulnerable to DDoS again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Laviski

just to let you know
    can't access the site when on french ip address. just display since January that your are being DDosed.

i'm actually being productive at work....
    please fix :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement