Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK Folks, we're going to be pushing out both a code and DNS change at 12 o'clock. For those of you in the know, you'll understand that this means inescapable down time whilst we wait for the DNS servers to flush and so on - with CloudFlare, this is really quick, but still not instant. For those of you who don't know what DNS is, it's basically the service that tells all the various hardware that the internet runs on across the globe where to send requests for data from any website.

So, what all this will mean is that we'll be offline and/or our static content (b-static.net) might be broken again. There's no better time for us to take care of this as Ronan and Andres are trying to get as much as possible sorted before Lunch so that there's still time to correct or roll back after lunch in case of emergency (again, anyone who's worked in this sort of environment will be well aware of the sorts of task they're facing).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

atsbury wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue. Haven't received an email notification in a while
    keps wrote: »
    Same here - stopped getting 'reply' notification across all threads a few days ago
    LEIN wrote: »
    Some come through no problem. Mainly from the talk to section then absolutely nothing from others.
    Dav wrote: »
    We're trying to get our email back up and running today - we keep getting blacklisted after turning it back on because we send so much out and because things are now hidden behind CloudFlare, Spamhaus thinks we're sending fake emails and so blacklists them once again. It's proving very stubborn to get sorted, but I'll keep you as up to date on it as I can.
    If you want to see if any of your threads or threads you've posted in have been replied to then hit the number up in the top right to see a list of them, not ideal like email but Id have forgotten 20+ threads I was watching without it:

vSCTLEa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

God speed little doodle!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Will the downtime be used to fix double posts that happen with the 'quick reply' sometimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Ah the joys:P of change management on a 24x7 system...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

OK Folks, we're going to be pushing out both a code and DNS change at 12 o'clock. For those of you in the know, you'll understand that this means inescapable down time whilst we wait for the DNS servers to flush and so on - with CloudFlare, this is really quick, but still not instant. For those of you who don't know what DNS is, it's basically the service that tells all the various hardware that the internet runs on across the globe where to send requests for data from any website.

So, what all this will mean is that we'll be offline and/or our static content (b-static.net) might be broken again. There's no better time for us to take care of this as Ronan and Andres are trying to get as much as possible sorted before Lunch so that there's still time to correct or roll back after lunch in case of emergency (again, anyone who's worked in this sort of environment will be well aware of the sorts of task they're facing).

They take Lunch?

my friend wrote: »
    They take Lunch?

As a former (now deceased :() colleague of mine used to joke: "Lunch? What do you think this is, Butlins holiday camp?" :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

my friend wrote: »
    They take Lunch?

Lunch is good, brunch is better, but linner is best. Don't overlook lunch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lunch is good, brunch is better, but linner is best. Don't overlook lunch

Missed Elevenses this morning and am appropriately cranky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

What about second breakfast?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

IPv6 is back, woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Another test to see if I can post

EDIT: (long delay for this edit)

After a short delay the post went through.

Now to see if I get access to any other section of boards. Up to now all other posts failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So was the double post issue in 'quick reply' solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Quick Reply

EDIT: looks fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

So there's currently work ongoing with Avatars and attachments - we're porting them over to AWS from our own hard drives. So your avatars may disappear for a while as that's ongoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

My avatar may or may not disappear for a while?

Disgraceful treatment of us. Sold your soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

My avatar may or may not disappear for a while?

Disgraceful treatment of us. Sold your soul.

To amazon no less...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Of course, you could just let us upload our own Avatars. It being 2016 after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

So there's currently work ongoing with Avatars and attachments - we're porting them over to AWS from our own hard drives. So your avatars may disappear for a while as that's ongoing.

Thanks dav 4 keeping us updated, the f on my keyboard was not working yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 45,900 ✭✭✭✭muffler

m17 wrote: »
    Thanks dav 4 keeping us updated
    Who's dav 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

muffler wrote: »
    Who's dav 4?

Thanks Dav for ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Seeing as it's feedback, any remote chance you could code something like wthax and host it on the boards servers?

That was a fabulous resource and is sorely missed.

Maybe even replace the (what still seems like) legacy vB attachment code.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,900 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Thanks Dav for ....
    Ah! You know how to use a keyboard. It seems my previous attempt at sarcasm has gone unnoticed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Is this making the subscribers thing weird too? Because I'm not sure if my subscriber thing is a thing anymore. I signed up again, then was told my re-sign up was redundant and was given a refund, but it still seems now that I am not a subscriber? but it's too difficult to figure out if that's a thing or just me?

Have I said "thing" too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Plus I didn't even want to mention the double posting thing...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi folks,

A new one for me - I tried to post a query on the Electric Ireland page, but I got this error message: 'In order to accept POST requests originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist'.. The URL of that page was www.boards.ie/ttforum/1349/createthread.
    The thread didn't post, at least I cannot see it there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://b-static.net/images/arrow_down.gif 404 Using white forum skin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

biko wrote: »

There's a load of common images missing under that path, including the DRP flowchart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

muffler wrote: »
    Who's dav 4?

That's davs big brother

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Have some respect, it's Dav v4.0.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement