Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2000 refuse council housing

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    They can't be that desperate, then. There are plenty of families living in 2 bed apartments here in Spain. A bedroom wouldn't fit 3 beds? Not even bunk beds? The parents couldn't have made do with a small double?

The second bedroom was tiny. It fitted a single bed with and there wasn't even enough room for a little nightstand beside it, a small double bed wouldn't have fitted, they measured it up. There are plenty of families living in 2 bedroom apts here in Ireland also. I'm living in a 1 bed apartment - myself, hubby and our 4 year old share a bedroom. I'd give my eye teeth for a 2 bed. I saw the apartment that my SIL was offered - it'd be more of a 1 bed + walk in wardrobe TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Toots wrote: »
    The second bedroom was tiny. It fitted a single bed with and there wasn't even enough room for a little nightstand beside it, a small double bed wouldn't have fitted, they measured it up. There are plenty of families living in 2 bedroom apts here in Ireland also. I'm living in a 1 bed apartment - myself, hubby and our 4 year old share a bedroom. I'd give my eye teeth for a 2 bed. I saw the apartment that my SIL was offered - it'd be more of a 1 bed + walk in wardrobe TBH.

How did they see and measure it ,you don't normally get to see or have access till you sign for the property .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Those on the housing list are presumably on RAS or in private accommodation with Rent Supplement.

Why on earth would they move from a place THEY selected and is being paid for mostly by the taxpayer to move somewhere that doesn't suit them.

No wonder there is so much resentment of these people really. It is just mind boggling.

There seems to me to be absolutely NO point in building social housing at all. Because no one will move into them. Well some will, but many will refuse because of A B and C. and the merry go round goes round and round.

It is not right, and it's not funny anymore.

I noticed Fr. McVerry said the suspension of a housing list applicant after two refusals amounts to ""unreasonable coercion" by the Council. Now What The absolute F?

Well the next time he comes on media moaning about homelessness I will be a bit more cynical to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i really wish people could spend some time in disadvantaged areas. you d learn a lot about life in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What a mixed up article he wrote. He seems to be having trouble with his own numbers:
    "2,000 offers of social housing turned down"
    "More than 2,000 offers"
    "1,990 refusals of an offer of social housing"

I don't think he's keeping his eye on the ball there with looking at refusals. The other number in his own article is SO HUGE:
    "130,000 are on social housing waiting lists"

Let's stick in the number of Public and Private accomodation FROM 2013 AND 2014 onto a bar chart:
    367522.png

Sources:
    His own article: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/2000-offers-of-social-housing-turned-down-362579.html
    Dept of Environment Latest House Building and Private Rented Statistics: http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/HousingStatistics/FileDownLoad,15293,en.xls

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i really wish people could spend some time in disadvantaged areas. you d learn a lot about life in them!

I grew up in one and wouldn't want the same for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

can completely identify with that and you ve obviously learned a lot from the experience. best of luck to you and your kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

But given the choice of a secure roof over their heads, or living in a hotel room long term, which would you chose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

To be honest, we'd take whatever we were given. It's much easier to transfer from council house to council house than it is to get into one in the first place! We only put areas on our application that we knew would be suitable. It would be very ridiculous to tick the box for "X" and then refuse a house in "X" because it's not close to a school. It's no further away from schools than it was when you applied!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gatling wrote: »
    No its not .

I'll glady live in any part of this country no matter who or what my neighbours are ,
    And I've said it multiple times over the years on here .

It's easy to say things when you know you won't have to do it.

I'd glady pilot a space rocket with little fuel to the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

listermint wrote: »
    It's easy to say things when you know you won't have to do it.

And who are you to say otherwise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Warning: Enough of the tit for tat guys. If you want to have a one on one debate, then do it over PM.

Keep it civil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

But given the choice of a secure roof over their heads, or living in a hotel room long term, which would you chose

Oh yeah, I'd go for the house, but would make damn sure they appreciated and respected it. The estate I lived on as a kid was a kip mostly because nobody respected it and took it for granted that they were given a decent, warm home for hardy any rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

but you can't give into that. If you let a few decent people away with turning down accommodation in these estates, then the only solution is to move in other criminals or let the house get burned out / destroyed which just puts other people in that estate back on the list. If you have one lowlife in an estate you're best off surrounding them with decent people who will band together and report all the criminal activities and have them removed, rather than just put all the bad eggs together and create a nightmare in bricks.

Do you live in the same country as the rest of us. Im sorry but our legal system is as broken as our property market. White collar and blue collar criminals get away with murder in this country.

You see many homeless choosing cold and wet over sleeping in the same building as addicts,

The criminal gangs in Ireland are well known, yet untouchable.

The vast majority of systems with heavy state involement are broken

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

How did they see and measure it ,you don't normally get to see or have access till you sign for the property .

:confused: I wasn't aware of that, but they got to go up and see it beforehand. My SIL works with a girl who bought an apartment in another block in the same complex and warned her that some of the apartments that were being listed on daft to rent as 2 beds, had been sold as 1 bed plus office/study space, and that the second space wasn't big enough for a bedroom, so SIL requested an inspection. I don't know if she had hassle arranging it or what, but they were able to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Toots wrote: »
    :confused: I wasn't aware of that, but they got to go up and see it beforehand. My SIL works with a girl who bought an apartment in another block in the same complex and warned her that some of the apartments that were being listed on daft to rent as 2 beds, had been sold as 1 bed plus office/study space, and that the second space wasn't big enough for a bedroom, so SIL requested an inspection. I don't know if she had hassle arranging it or what, but they were able to see it.

I would have imagined you would be allowed to inspect. I mean, it's possibly where you will be living for the rest of your life depending on your financial circumstances - surely you should be allowed to make sure it is suitable to live in? As you've just said, the council offering an apartment with two rooms to house 5 people is ridiculous enough, but then to not allow you to see if the rooms will even hold beds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Oh yeah, I'd go for the house, but would make damn sure they appreciated and respected it. The estate I lived on as a kid was a kip mostly because nobody respected it and took it for granted that they were given a decent, warm home for hardy any rent.

Give someone something for free and they don't value it.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I would have imagined you would be allowed to inspect. I mean, it's possibly where you will be living for the rest of your life depending on your financial circumstances - surely you should be allowed to make sure it is suitable to live in? As you've just said, the council offering an apartment with two rooms to house 5 people is ridiculous enough, but then to not allow you to see if the rooms will even hold beds?

I'd have thought so! And what about if you had mobility issues? If my apartment was a social housing unit there's no way it would be fit for anyone who had any type of physical disability - the parking spot is ages away from the door, and up a load of steps! If someone signed up for it without seeing it they could end up in an apartment that they couldn't even access without assistance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Give someone something for free and they don't value it.

It is not free though, all council and rent allowance/RAS people have to pay rent to the local authority that has housed them. They pay council rent rates which are set at a rate to allow for the amount of income the person/family has each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It is not free though, all council and rent allowance/RAS people have to pay rent to the local authority that has housed them. They pay council rent rates which are set at a rate to allow for the amount of income the person/family has each week.

How much is it tho?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tigger wrote: »
    How much is it tho?

about €30 per adult and €12 per dependant child, any income above the basic social welfare rate is means tested and rent is increased by 20% of the amount over the basic rate. Also if there is someone in the household working their earnings are also taken into consideration as well as the main tenant/householder. someone earning €400/week living alone would be paying about €80/week rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I live in a 2 bedroom council apartment in Tallaght, and it's tiny. There is literally no storage. A lot of our stuff is in our parents attics. The estate is a kip too, roaring and screaming into the early hours is common. Cars getting rallied etc. The only house I could Possibly get a mortgage on would be in one of the same kippy estates around here. And I'll admit, we refused our first offer because the complex was full of travellers who regularly run amok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

about €30 per adult and €12 per dependant child, any income above the basic social welfare rate is means tested and rent is increased by 20% of the amount over the basic rate. Also if there is someone in the household working their earnings are also taken into consideration as well as the main tenant/householder. someone earning €400/week living alone would be paying about €80/week rent.

12 more per child?
    Seems backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Nothing new here except the figure of nearly 2000 people /families turned down local authority housing last /this year ,
    In the supposed housing crisis we have people refusing multiple local authority houses ,

Excuses range from size ,lack of privacy, on a long holiday in Rome .

As someone currently 8 years on the sdcc list I'm seriously discusted reading the following

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/2000-offers-of-social-housing-turned-down-362579.html

But doesn't this actually benefit you?

Lets say a woman A refuses a house and it is offered to woman B who refuses it too. You could be 3rd or 4th priority on the list after these people. If A, B or C said yes to the house then you'll probably be waiting much longer to be housed.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Stop offering any free housing at all. Increase them Social Welfare to match a minimum wages and let people to find and rent houses/accommodation where they want and quality they want themselves.

Not enough money - their own problems. Work more or move to countryside or whatever.
    It is a time to stop that system of a free housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,269 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any criteria that initially brings you top of the housing list, ie 9 kids by 8 different men or say a drugs problem or you are as Joe Duffy would say "unwell" should be reset to back of the q if you refuse a house anywhere in the country, a house is always better than a cardboard box under a bridge unless you are a pro freeloader.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thats terrible they have to actually pay towards their housing!!!! What next for a complaint ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

al22 wrote: »
    Stop offering any free housing at all. Increase them Social Welfare to match a minimum wages and let people to find and rent houses/accommodation where they want and quality they want themselves.

Not enough money - their own problems. Work more or move to countryside or whatever.
    It is a time to stop that system of a free housing.

You want to stop free housing but double the dole?? Every person on social welfare would stop looking for work and half the people working to get minimum wage would join the dole! Ridiculous idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

A DISGRACE. 400 notes a week and they only have to stump up 80 quid ???

Sickening to read that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I'm talking about people in receipt of rent allowance and unemployed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement