Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2000 refuse council housing

Options
  • 03-11-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing new here except the figure of nearly 2000 people /families turned down local authority housing last /this year ,
    In the supposed housing crisis we have people refusing multiple local authority houses ,

Excuses range from size ,lack of privacy, on a long holiday in Rome .

As someone currently 8 years on the sdcc list I'm seriously discusted reading the following

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/2000-offers-of-social-housing-turned-down-362579.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I bet this won't end up on the journal.

Disgraceful and people wonder why they end up homeless.

Such a sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I bet this won't end up on the journal.

Disgraceful and people wonder why they end up homeless.

Such a sense of entitlement.

Thought it was bad when I heard people were turning down houses because gardens weren't big enough for dogs or 13 ft trampolines

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you should automatically drop to the bottom of the queue if you turn down an offer. People need to be housed and you have these types swanning around until they get a house in a leafy suburb thats new and has great transport and all the other features that even somebody on a decent salary can no longer afford.

its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Unbelievable. Absolutely incredible. Makes me wonder why I bother scrimping for a deposit at all. I can barely afford to live in a city never mind somewhere with no barking dogs!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I dunno, from reading that article a lot of them seemed to have valid enough reasons, ie lack of access to schools, too far for medical care, unable to access their job from there, etc. There's no point taking a house if you end up with your health suffering because of it. I do agree that some reasons seem to be stupid, but the impression I got from that article is that it's a minority of people giving those excuses.

I've got 2 family members who are on the housing list and each have turned down one property. One is a family with 3 kids, currently renting a house, they got offered a 2 bedroom apartment. The second bedroom in the apartment would not have fitted 3 beds, and giving the kids the master bedroom and them taking the second bedroom wasn't an option either, because you couldn't have fitted a double bed in it.

Other person got offered a house which looked great, only for the fact that there's a known drug dealer living 2 doors down. They're in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, and have been on the list for years. Neither of them are holding out any hope of getting a house/apartment in the next 10 years.

• Advertisement

sozbox wrote: »
    Unbelievable. Absolutely incredible. Makes me wonder why I bother scrimping for a deposit at all. I can barely afford to live in a city never mind somewhere with no barking dogs!

And this is the propaganda we hear used with great effect against the government.

People don't know the facts and politicians are afraid to actually tell it like it is for fear of the usual do gooders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Many of these offers are for houses in Known areas of serious anti social behaviour and criminality, placing normal honest people in situations like that is not just wrong it can lead to more issues for the Gardai and the council in the long run!

Toots wrote: »
    I dunno, from reading that article a lot of them seemed to have valid enough reasons, ie lack of access to schools, too far for medical care, unable to access their job from there, etc. There's no point taking a house if you end up with your health suffering because of it. I do agree that some reasons seem to be stupid, but the impression I got from that article is that it's a minority of people giving those excuses.

I've got 2 family members who are on the housing list and each have turned down one property. One is a family with 3 kids, currently renting a house, they got offered a 2 bedroom apartment. The second bedroom in the apartment would not have fitted 3 beds, and giving the kids the master bedroom and them taking the second bedroom wasn't an option either, because you couldn't have fitted a double bed in it.

Other person got offered a house which looked great, only for the fact that there's a known drug dealer living 2 doors down. They're in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, and have been on the list for years. Neither of them are holding out any hope of getting a house/apartment in the next 10 years.

You really shouldn't be fussy when been offered a house virtually rent free.

Beggars cant be choosers.

In this day and age sorry it should be one offer and no more ,
    It's reduculous people are putting the names down for multiple locations knowing where and what their applying for ,
    So there shouldn't be any surprises when their offered a property by a local authority.
    Take them off the list and block them from getting rent supplement .

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Many of these offers are for houses in Known areas of serious anti social behaviour and criminality, placing normal honest people in situations like that is not just wrong it can lead to more issues for the Gardai and the council in the long run!

How do you know this?

• Advertisement

the first one ill give you. Thats a valid reason.

the second is not. Im sorry but you're always going to have a local lowlife or some antisocial behaviour where social housing is located (before anyone jumps on me , I'm not saying everyone in social housing is a lowlife, but for whatever reason the vast majority of lowlifes are in social housing). Turning down an effectively free house because theres somebody dodgy down the road is not a valid reason.

Gatling wrote: »
    In this day and age sorry it should be one offer and no more ,
    It's reduculous people are putting the names down for multiple locations knowing where and what their applying for ,
    So there shouldn't be any surprises when their offered a property by a local authority.
    Take them off the list and block them from getting rent supplement .

You are told to put a general area onto the list so lets say you put somewhere in Limerick city and get put into the nastiest kip in the city, you have more of a duty to your wife and kids to protect them from such a place than you have to make things easier for lazy councils and politicians.

but you can't give into that. If you let a few decent people away with turning down accommodation in these estates, then the only solution is to move in other criminals or let the house get burned out / destroyed which just puts other people in that estate back on the list. If you have one lowlife in an estate you're best off surrounding them with decent people who will band together and report all the criminal activities and have them removed, rather than just put all the bad eggs together and create a nightmare in bricks.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You really shouldn't be fussy when been offered a house virtually rent free.

Beggars cant be choosers.

I agree with that to an extent, but putting a family with young kids (or anyone for that matter) in a house beside a drug dealer is madness. If it had been me there's no way I'd have lived there, no matter how dire my situation was. No amount of reduction in rent would make it worth living in fear in your own home.

You are told to put a general area onto the list so lets say you put somewhere in Limerick city and get put into the nastiest kip in the city, you have more of a duty to your wife and kids to protect them from such a place than you have to make things easier for lazy councils and politicians.

You get several options when applying.
    Every estate has its problems regardless where it is in this country

but you can't give into that. If you let a few decent people away with turning down accommodation in these estates, then the only solution is to move in other criminals or let the house get burned out / destroyed which just puts other people in that estate back on the list. If you have one lowlife in an estate you're best off surrounding them with decent people who will band together and report all the criminal activities and have them removed, rather than just put all the bad eggs together and create a nightmare in bricks.

The answer is to evict the lowlifes and their families and stop paying their rent altogether! Then a lot more houses and flats and apartments would be free for decent honest people.

You get several options when applying.
    Every estate has its problems regardless where it is in this country

Indeed but an offer of a place near one you have chosen is still a valid offer even if it is a complete kip full of scumbags dealers and lowlifes.

Indeed but an offer of a place near one you have chosen is still a valid offer even if it is a complete kip full of scumbags dealers and lowlifes.

There in every estate in the country .

I agree with that to an extent, but putting a family with young kids (or anyone for that matter) in a house beside a drug dealer is madness. If it had been me there's no way I'd have lived there, no matter how dire my situation was. No amount of reduction in rent would make it worth living in fear in your own home.
    There is drug dealers in every neighbourhood in the country. Amongst criminals for various offences that most people wouldn't even know.

Just seems like an excuse to hold out for that dream home on a plate.

the first one ill give you. Thats a valid reason.

the second is not. Im sorry but you're always going to have a local lowlife or some antisocial behaviour where social housing is located (before anyone jumps on me , I'm not saying everyone in social housing is a lowlife, but for whatever reason the vast majority of lowlifes are in social housing). Turning down an effectively free house because theres somebody dodgy down the road is not a valid reason.

Two doors down, and believe me this is more than the local lowlife. This guy's front door has been a bin bag for the last 6 months, because the place keeps getting raided. It turns out the previous tennant moved out when her car got set on fire in her driveway one night- the reason? She'd found a "suspicious" package in the hedge in her back garden and called the Gardai. They believe the 'package' belonged to the guy down the road, and he obviously wasn't too happy about losing a pile of his product.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

And what about all the working people who have to put up with those things? My first job after college, I was commuting 2 hours each way to get there, with a combination of bus, Luas, DART and walking. It was a pain in the hole but I was happy to have a job.

They can't be that desperate, then. There are plenty of families living in 2 bed apartments here in Spain. A bedroom wouldn't fit 3 beds? Not even bunk beds? The parents couldn't have made do with a small double?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i wouldnt recommend anybody to move into the boarded up houses in my area, not if you give a damn about you and your families well being, and particularly if you dont want to increase the chances of your kids being surrounded by drug use and serious antisocial behaviour etc.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i wouldnt recommend anybody to move into the boarded up houses in my area, not if you give a damn about you and your families well being, and particularly if you dont want to increase the chances of your kids being surrounded by drug use and serious antisocial behaviour etc.

Well then save up and buy a house in an area you like, like most people if it bothers you that much.

Don't expect the government to give you a house in an area of your choosing with all amenities and mod cons.

Desperate times desperate measures.

In this day and age when people like me are worried if we're going to be homeless everytime we get a call from our landlord or a letter from social welfare saying your rent supplement is been cut or other .

I'd glady live beside the local scum bag because I'd that than walk the streets with my kids

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well then save up and buy a house in an area you like, like most people if it bothers you that much.

Don't expect the government to give you a house in an area of your choosing with all amenities and mod cons.

Desperate times desperate measures.

say wha?

im here to stay. been here all my life. aint moving anywhere but i really wouldnt recommend any family to take a boarded up house here. you can be guaranteed serious mental health problems for you and your family if you do so. is this what we want for our society????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

My local council has been instructed by the Govt to 'acquire' over a thousand houses for social use. Many of these will be acquired through purchase, others by leasing. This means I am now competing against the local council when buying a house, I can't win! What impact will this have on prices of nearby houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Excuse me .

In this day and age when people like me a worried if we're going to be homeless everytime we get a call from our landlord or a letter from social welfare saying your rent supplement is been cut or other .

I'd glady live beside the local scum bag because I'd that than walk the streets with my kids

That last paragraph is utter tripe, and you know it.

You'd have a totally different opinion given the same choice from rented accommodation with your family.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Look the housing list has always been a bit of a joke-
    But i'm assuming those houses didnt go unlived in ... most people in ireland have a home- but because of our disfunctional private rental market have little security of tenure . They're not borderline homeless so they'll cherrypick.... I would too-
    Maybe we should change the criteria on our housing lists..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

listermint wrote: »
    That last paragraph is utter tripe, and you know it.

You'd have a totally different opinion given the same choice from rented accommodation with your family.

Fact.

No its not .

I'll glady live in any part of this country no matter who or what my neighbours are ,
    And I've said it multiple times over the years on here .

• Advertisement

Two doors down, and believe me this is more than the local lowlife. This guy's front door has been a bin bag for the last 6 months, because the place keeps getting raided. It turns out the previous tennant moved out when her car got set on fire in her driveway one night- the reason? She'd found a "suspicious" package in the hedge in her back garden and called the Gardai. They believe the 'package' belonged to the guy down the road, and he obviously wasn't too happy about losing a pile of his product.

Its still better than being on the streets. Id agree we shouldnt even be housing those type of lowlifes but until we change that , nobody should be in a position to turn down a 'free' house

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement