Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It's a great run they're putting together. Hopefully it can continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I reckon Sligo will be raging. Most of them would have assumed they would have opened the gap back uo to 7 tonight but it stays as 4. Would have been nice to close it to one.

Another huge game at the Markets Field Monday. Hopefully we don't get complacent. Need a big crowd in to get behind the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cork 2-3 Limerick

(Faherty, Clarke, Paudie O'Connor)

Limerick started very well and were worth their lead when Faherty fired hime from the edge of the area. Cork got back into it, especially after a long stop for an injury, and equalised when an inswinging cross made it in at the far post.

We went ahead again after Turner's shot was parried and Clarke was following up to poke it in, and it was 2-1 at halftime.

We were under pressure for a lot of the 2nd half, and Cork equalised from a header from a corner. But we kept up the pressure and crucially maintained an attacking presence, and Paudie glanced home a Russell free kick to give us the lead again.

Cork pressed but we held our shape well and had chances ourselves to get another, but we held on for a superb win.

Next game: home versus Longford, Monday at 7.45

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sickened, absolutely sickened I wasn't there- was at a club hurling match (which was also a great win to be fair) but it sounded like an unbelievable match and to get a win against title challengers while bottom of the league is a serious result.

That's great wins in a row, let's hope for another on Monday.

Limerick 3-3 Longford

(Turner, Tracy, Williams)

Well, when you are still conceding 2 or 3 goals a game, you can't win them all, and the run came to an end tonight.

We were two up after about 15 minutes, with Turner beating his man to score, and then Shane Tracy scoring from outside the area.

But we sat back and paid the price. First a free header from a corner, then a long punt downfield that was flicked on to a Longford player in acres of space to beat Freddy Hall. 2-2 at half-time.

We went ahead when Robbie Williams got his head on the end of a cross, but Longford equalised with a header from a free kick soon afterwards. In between Dean Clarke somehow headed over.

We pressed for a winner, but didn't create much towards the end.

Next game not for a couple of weeks as this weekend is a cup game. We are away to Drogheda, Friday August 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Better than nothing, heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I'd have bit your hand off for 4 from 6 for the last two fixtures. A few teams could get dragged into the relegation battle if we keep our form for the remaining games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭AndrewTheCat

Pissed it away

Lads in fairness you could see we were running on reserve last night. In less than two weeks we have played Sligo, Bohs, Cork and Longford. Managed 3 wins and a draw. Anyone would have taken that at the beginning of August.

Obviously everyone would have taken 10 from 12 at the start of the month but that game was there for the taking. We were the better team and created more chances but were killed by conceding sloppy goals. It's not as if you couldn't see it coming tbf, we are still quite weak at defending set-pieces. I think Kanyuka would have given us a bit of a boost there last night- Williams was beaten to everything in the air by the Longford striker. Paudie's slip at a crucial time was a killer aswell.

But we are playing very nice football, there was a big crowd there and there was plenty to be encouraged by. Turner's goal was superb, beat his man and a lovely finish. Tracy's was a cracker too. O'Conor is good at right-back, Tracy seems more confident than he's been in years, definitely a left-back. Russell is playing much better too. Lynch is some man for picking up space- I think we missed him as we pushed on towards the end.

The Longford goalie did make an unbelievable save and we missed two glorious headed opportunities. Really should have got the 3 points. The effort's been huge in recent weeks, but we're in a position where every single point is valuable. 6 points looks like a much tougher obstacle to overcome than 4. We'll need to win at least 4 of the last 8 games to survive I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

4-1 up in Drogheda at half-time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Limerick are probably the most entertaining team in the league at the moment, deserve big gates.

Another step closer to safety, great result. Drogheda are in big trouble, I'd say. 4 goals in one half, what has gotten into Limerick, but none in the 2nd is a poor showing ;)

Rainsford started for Clarke today? And scored... presumably Clarke had a knock though, you don't drop your best player.

Home to Pats next, will be a tough game, although they lost tonight at home to Derry- 2nd loss in a row after a great run. Hopefully we can make it 3.

We'd be hoping that Longford & Sligo lose to Bray & Rovers tomorrow too.

Clarke had a tight hamstring and they didn't want to risk it. I was very worried with no Duggan or Clarke.

Pats lost tonight with Derry down to 10 men for about 50 minutes of the game. Word forrester is gone to Peterborough also which would be great for us. We want it more so I reckon we could pick up the win next week. Hopefully another big crowd in the Markets Field.

Drogheda 1-4 Limerick

(Faherty, Turner penalty, Rainsford, Williams)

Just in the door now from Drogheda. We absolutely blitzed them for the first 15 minutes, and everything we touched turned to gold. Faherty glanced home a Russell corner, then Turner scored from the spot after Williams had been held by a Drogheda defender. Rainsford then scored a beautiful header.

Then we made our usual comical attempts to defend, and dried up old one back pretty quickly. They were dominant for a period and could have had another goal or two. But we weathered the storm a bit, and Robbie Williams scored another header from a corner about 10 minutes before half-time.

In the second half they pressed again for the first 15 or 20 minutes but didn't create too much. After that they had run out of steam and run out of ideas, and we ended the game much the better side, and could have had a couple more goals ourselves.

Great result which keeps the distance between the teams above us as close as possible.

Next game: home to St. Pats, Saturday at 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Garryowen Red

Fantastic run that we're on at the moment, I'm just gutted that I can't make it to the Markets Field on Saturday for the St. Pats game. I hope we get another great crowd like we had at the Longford game, no denying that the games are entertaining and great value for money at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Unlucky that Sligo came good at the same time as Limerick have, but Drogheda and Galway are in absolute free fall at the moment, with you having to play both Galway and then even Derry. There is hope yet, but as with every game, it's basically a must win at this stage.

Just noticed Longford play Galway next week and Drogheda are away to Derry. If by some miracle, Longford, Derry and Limerick win there will only be 1 point in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Is there any radio commentary for the match tonight online?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

kksaints wrote: »
    Is there any radio commentary for the match tonight online?

Don't know, but they are 2-0 up while Sligo are 1 goal down, they might be within a point of safety after tonight (2 points really with goal difference the way it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't know, but they are 2-0 up while Sligo are 1 goal down, they might be within a point of safety after tonight (2 points really with goal difference the way it is)

Three up now according to rte news at 8. That's a good pats team. If this Limerick team stays up its incredible, a play off could pull a massive crowd to the markets field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Three up now according to rte news at 8. That's a good pats team. If this Limerick team stays up its incredible, a play off could pull a massive crowd to the markets field.

Its not good atm.:(

Commentary on 95fm. Some atmosphere listening now.

Limerick 3-1 Pats Ft

Good win. The form team in the league, no question about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

With Sligo getting a point and Galway winning against Longford other results aren't going our way that much tonight, still though form team, couple of months ago you would have said they'd be relegated by the start of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Jofspring wrote: »
    Commentary on 95fm. Some atmosphere listening now.

Limerick 3-1 Pats Ft

Bloody hell, I switched the dial but I was assaulted by the always impartial musings of Len and Len, does anybody at all care about that Celtic league thingy, in a world cup year it's even more ridiculous than usual. They should have been at the soccer.

Limerick 3-1 St. Pats

(Turner, Faherty, Turner)

Great win tonight for Limerick. A brilliant freekick from Ian Turner gave us the lead - up over the wall and dipped into the near top corner.

The out of the blue, the ref stopped play, and on the advice of his linesman, booked one St. Pats player and gave a straight red to Limerick full back Sean Kelly.

We were under serious pressure after that, and would have been happy to get to half-time leading by a goal to nil. But then a defensive howler when the player just fell over the ball coming out of defence and left Faherty all alone in front of goal, and he easily knocked it in, just before the break.

We scored a beautiful third goal on the counter-attack early in the second half. Dean Clarke easily went past his man for pace and floated a cross to the far post where the in rushing Turner headed home.

We were fairly defensive from that point on, and conceded lots of territory and possession. But we didn't give up too many clear chances, and the keeper Freddie Hall made a couple of good saves when he had to. They did score close to the end from a very good freekick, but we held out without too many worries.

Next game: away to Bray, Saturday September 19th.

osarusan wrote: »
    Limerick 3-1 St. Pats

(Turner, Faherty, Turner)

Great win tonight for Limerick. A brilliant freekick from Ian Turner gave us the lead - up over the wall and dipped into the near top corner.

The out of the blue, the ref stopped play, and on the advice of his linesman, booked one St. Pats player and gave a straight red to Limerick full back Sean Kelly.

We were under serious pressure after that, and would have been happy to get to half-time leading by a goal to nil. But then a defensive howler when the player just fell over the ball coming out of defence and left Faherty all alone in front of goal, and he easily knocked it in, just before the break.

We scored a beautiful third goal on the counter-attack early in the second half. Dean Clarke easily went past his man for pace and floated a cross to the far post where the in rushing Turner headed home.

We were fairly defensive from that point on, and conceded lots of territory and possession. But we didn't give up too many clear chances, and the keeper Freddie Hall made a couple of good saves when he had to. They did score close to the end from a very good freekick, but we held out without too many worries.

Next game: away to Bray, Saturday September 19th.

Attendance ?

1652 I think was what was announced.

Bloody hell, I switched the dial but I was assaulted by the always impartial musings of Len and Len, does anybody at all care about that Celtic league thingy, in a world cup year it's even more ridiculous than usual. They should have been at the soccer.

Ya they cut over from the Limerick match to the Munster one for about 30 seconds. The Limerick match had great atmosphere and excitement and then it cut to Musgrave park and it was like a graveyard. It did switch back to the Limerick match though, it was just for an update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

osarusan wrote: »
    1652 I think was what was announced.

Good attendance. Might soon see the day a Limerick soccer match attendance will overtake a Munster rugby attendance.! very close tonight I would say, Musgrave Park was like a morgue will virtually no atmosphere coupled with a dire game.

Advertisement