Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

By the way lads - sending people out in reverse order of GOY was a good idea , was that last year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

By the way lads - sending people out in reverse order of GOY was a good idea , was that last year ?

yea gonna do that at Fota, last group will be the leaders so we can all keep an eye on each other!

I have done up the cards, and you are right, tight at the top, very tight. I'm gonna check over it in the morning before I post, but at first glance, anyone in the top 11 can actually win GOTY with a win @ Fota (depending on other scores).

it also means that Jug places are still up for grabs. Maybe the top 5 are safe, but outside that, its there for the taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea gonna do that at Fota, last group will be the leaders so we can all keep an eye on each other!

I have done up the cards, and you are right, tight at the top, very tight. I'm gonna check over it in the morning before I post, but at first glance, anyone in the top 11 can actually win GOTY with a win @ Fota (depending on other scores).

it also means that Jug places are still up for grabs. Maybe the top 5 are safe, but outside that, its there for the taking

Excellent, I can nearly go out first then which means I will be drinking early :D

Well talk about being a close run thing as we reach the final hurdle! So anyone of the top 11 can actually still win the GOTY! :eek: From Fix in 6th place down to Recycled in 11th, a win @ Fota could in theory see them lift the Seve OB trophy if results elsewhere go their way. Charlie needs at least a third place while Keano & 3Putt know that a fifth place finish could be enough for them. Anywhere in the top 7 @ Fota would be enough for Roadrunner to overhaul my lead, but of course, these are just the minimum requirements so it is all going to come down to what others score on the day also! Taking the lead into the last event is the best I can ask for, but I know a BIG performance is going to be required and I will most certainly need to add to my current tally to have a chance of coming out on top!

20876632531_86574a128a_b.jpg

Of course, much more important than the piece of Brassware is the race to Druids Glen and the all important top 10 finish to secure a place on the Ryder Jug team. I feel the top 5 or safe at this sage, but anyone down to Spacecoyote is still in with a shout upon a good showing at the last event of the year. Of course don't forget, you must have 5 counting events to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very happy with buddy hollys 23rd spot in 3 outings in my first year in the society. Next year's goal of top ten is already set :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Was looking at table there a bit - a bit of a, very very hard event to get into top 10.

You have 3 people ( Recycled- Athlone99 - Bombedbiscuit) with wins in events and not in top 10.

You have (for example) Princess Poppy with top 10s in all 5 counting events and not in top 10. This happens as the differential from a high finish to consistency in mid to lower top 10, can be difficult to overcome due to the non linear reward of placing.

Fair play ( I think Keano) - is an interesting system. I guess the fact you have so many still in the mix last day is a great testament.

One point of interest is how compressed results from say 11th to 20th are. This means the guy finishing say 11th to 13th with consistency is not really rewarded versus a guy in say 20th with a one off great day.

Anyway - congratulations again to all involved. Just my little observations ( no hidden agenda or anything :) )

I guess if the team wins the Ryder Jug, the proof is in the pudding ;)

A person entering last day in 5th for example can be out of team or win GOY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    11th to 13th will surely be in the hunt for captains picks ;)

Rikand wrote: »
    11th to 52nd are in the hunt for captains picks ;)

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    Seve OB Pm'd you about the Hotel in Cork there...

kieran. wrote: »
    Seve OB Pm'd you about the Hotel in Cork there...

got it, will be in touch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Was looking at table there a bit - a bit of a, very very hard event to get into top 10.

You have 3 people ( Recycled- Athlone99 - Bombedbiscuit) with wins in events and not in top 10.

You have (for example) Princess Poppy with top 10s in all 5 counting events and not in top 10. This happens as the differential from a high finish to consistency in mid to lower top 10, can be difficult to overcome due to the non linear reward of placing.

Fair play ( I think Keano) - is an interesting system. I guess the fact you have so many still in the mix last day is a great testament.

One point of interest is how compressed results from say 11th to 20th are. This means the guy finishing say 11th to 13th with consistency is not really rewarded versus a guy in say 20th with a one off great day.

Anyway - congratulations again to all involved. Just my little observations ( no hidden agenda or anything :) )

I guess if the team wins the Ryder Jug, the proof is in the pudding ;)

A person entering last day in 5th for example can be out of team or win GOY.
    It was actually ssbob's brain child, so all credit too the Cork lad!

I'm looking forward to being in the final group!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    Unfortunately I have to rule myself out of the Ryder Jug race. Starting to look like I wont be available for the 17th Oct.

Unfortunately I have to rule myself out of the Ryder Jug race. Starting to look like I wont be available for the 17th Oct.

That's a pity :(

Can anyone else in the hunt for a place on the team let me know if they will not be able to make it. Obviously there is still a good few places up for grabs at the last outing, but I also need to start thinking about captains picks also :)

Folks, the rules of the society have been updated and will appear each year on the main thread. The Rules Thread will also be updated by Keano or Charlie ar some stage.

The society has been created in such a way to be as fair as possible to golfers of all abilities. It is a chance for everyone to play the game we love in a more relaxed environment. Everybody from a beginner having never hit a ball to a scratch golfer is welcome to play. The main aims and objectives are for everybody to get out and have fun, meet new people, get to play some great golf courses and hopefully during the year be in with a chance of winning something for your efforts should you happen to play well. Official handicaps are not essential as the society can provide one for you. Remember everyone is welcome.

Committee
    A committee has been formed to implement the rules of the society and to organise and run the outings as smoothly and as efficiently as possible. All members are free to make suggestions to the committee of ideas which they feel may benefit the society. The committee will discuss all suggestions received and implement changes as deemed appropriate. All decisions made by the committee are final.

Current Committee Members
    Captain Seve OB
    Keano
    CharlieIRL
    kiers47
    ssbob

General Rules
    • The rules of golf apply for all outings. Local rules will apply at each outing. It is the players responsibility to know and understand the rules of golf. Any breech in the rules of golf will be dealt with by a committee disciplinary hearing, up to and including expulsion from the society.
    • Members of the society must have a Boards.ie account. While it is not a requirement to post regularly to the site, it is expected that you keep an eye on the relevant society threads for up to date information.
    • Users who have been banned from the Boards.ie golf forum and Boards.ie website in general are not entitled to join the golf society.
    • Men & Women, Ladies & Gents, Boys & Girls, of all ages young and old and of all abilities from pro to hacker are welcome to join the society.
    • A general thread for each year of the society will be updated during the year and a specific thread for each outing will provide all the necessary information for the members.
    • The Teamer app and website are used to organise attendance at outings.
    • It is expected that if you are unable to attend an event at short notice, the player should decline on Teamer and post to the relevant thread ASAP.
    • No shows are not appreciated and may be punished as the committee see fit.
    • The use of Distance Measuring Devices is permissible at all outings, with the exception of devices capable of measuring wind speed and direction.
    • Golf Buggies are not permitted unless for medical reasons.

Fees
    An annual subscription of €30 will apply. This entitles you to play and compete for the main prizes in every qualifying event. Depending on the course played, the green fee may fluctuate, but it will be balanced out across the year as best possible and the aim is to keep the fee to approximately €35 per event. Other costs may arise throughout the year but these will be advised in the various threads we start regarding each outing.

Outings & Prizes
    Outings are organised at locations throughout the country generally in close proximity to the motorway network and are primarily played on Saturdays. There will be 8 official outings each year, one each month from February through to September. All outings will be scored in stableford points. For each outing there will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places, longest drive and nearest the pin. Where the budget provides, there may be extra prizes on offer such as extra places, front 9, Back 9, most golf or picky outs. In the order of fairness, players may only win one prize per outing. In conjunction with these prizes there will also be a 2’s club, Golfer of the year and a team match play event. Other non-official outings may be organised ad hoc during the year, but will not be counting events.

Two’s club
    At each outing we shall run an optional 2’s club with an entry fee of €2.00. Any entrant who has a score of 2 on any hole at the event shall win or share in the spoils. A hole in one shall count as double two’s. If there are multiple winners the pot shall be divided equally. If nobody has a two the pot shall carry over to the next event. If the pot carries over anybody wishing to enter the 2’s club who had not entered the previous event will be asked to pay for previous event also.

Golfer of the Year
    Each main event from February to September will have order of merit points awarded on a sliding scale similar to the Fed-Ex cup. To make it fair to all, as not everyone will be able to attend all 8 events, it will be the best 5 points tally for each player which will count towards the order of merit rankings. The Golfer of the Year will be the player who tops the order of merit after all events for the year have concluded. They will be awarded the perpetual Seve OB trophy for the period of 1 year, which can be engraved with the winners details. A separate prize will also be awarded to the Golfer of the Year.

Captains Prize
    The Captains prize will normally be the last event of the year. To win the Captains prize you must have returned at least 3 cards in the given year and have your subscription paid in full. The winner will be awarded the perpetual Boards.ie Captains Prize Claret Jug Trophy for the period of 1 year, which can be engraved with the winners details. In addition, there will be a better than usual selection of prizes on offer.

The current years captain may participate in the event and may win the Claret Jug and collect the Golfer of the Year points, but may not collect the main prize. It shall be passed down to second position.

Ryder Jug
    The Ryder Jug is an annual team matchplay event played between the Boards.ie golf society and the Reps golf society. The Boards.ie Golf society team shall be made up of the top ten players from the Order of Merit plus 2 Captains picks. To qualify for the Ryder Jug team, each player should have competed in at least 5 qualifying events during the year. The Ryder Jug is competed for in a one day event of 6 fourball head to head matches, played generally in early to mid October.

Handicaps
    Golfers with a GUI membership shall initially play off their official handicap. For golfers who are not members of the GUI a society handicap shall be awarded. This will be calculated on the basis of any previous GUI handicap, ability, experience playing the game, recent scores etc. to try and obtain a fair handicap. Complete beginners shall receive a handicap of 18 and somebody who has played a limited amount of golf but who does not have an official handicap will receive 14. The committee feels this covers most abilities and can give a very good reflection of a more accurate handicap going forward. Please note this society is about having fun. Honesty and etiquette are valued much more than prizes so it’s up to all golfers to be honest about their abilities when being reviewed.

Handicap Adjustments
    Prize winners will have their handicaps cut in the following manner
    1st place -2.5
    2nd place -1.5
    3rd place -1

The average score of the next 5 positions will then be calculated and any player who has recorded a score better than the average shall be cut 0.5. Any player recording a score within a buffer zone of 3 shots of the average shall have their handicap unchanged. For scores outside the buffer zone, an addback of 0.5 will be applied to their handicap.

Any player who has their official GUI handicap cut is responsible to report it to the handicap secretary. Your boards society handicap is limited to 2 above your GUI handicap.

The committee shall have the option to cut or award handicaps as they see fit. All decisions will be made in the best interest of the whole society and not any individual.

Visitors
    You must be a fully paid up member to compete for the main prizes at each outing. However visitors are welcome where space on the timesheet is available and will be charged at the course rate of the day plus €10. Visitors are entitled to compete for a visitors prize, nearest the pin, longest drive, 2's club but if victorious they must collect their prize on the day or at the following outing otherwise it will be forfeited and added back into the prize fund. Visitors are not entitled to enter the Golfer of the Year or Captains Prize and are not eligible for selection to the Ryder Jug. A visitor may join the society during the year by paying the annual subscription fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Gutted I missed outside on this for the year! Count me in for 2016!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

Hey guys, how can I get involved in this for next year?

slingerz wrote: »
    Gutted I missed outside on this for the year! Count me in for 2016!

Send me a pm guys with your name, handicap, club, and mobile no and then I can add you to the list and you will get notified ahead of the outings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Send you name, email address, phone number and handicap via PM to seveob or myself and we'll add you to the text service for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Here's the 10th at the Monty at last boards outing (or maybe 11th, I forget). The addition of 25m off the tee here made it easier to carry the trouble along the right for the men.

dist.jpg

I hate to say it but if we were playing off whites at the monty there probably would have been a different winner.

My Q is should ladies get an addition to their HC when the greens are in play which is then removed on events where the whites are used? Or should we stick to just one, either green or white tees as a rule and allow that handicaps should adjust over time?

Or it not really a biggie?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

That's very thoughtful of you roadrunner.

From a ladies perspective I Iimagine most of the men would prefert NOT to play off green tees. But I understand there wasn't any options at carton.

Some courses have great advantages from red tees and others not so much so but its all part of playing the game we love.

I wouldnt be comfortable being given extra shots as long as you dont ask me to come back to the mens tees.
    I understand that mens golf and ladies golf are often incomparable but its still great to get out and play together

• Advertisement

That's very thoughtful of you roadrunner.

From a ladies perspective I Iimagine most of the men would prefert NOT to play off green tees. But I understand there wasn't any options at carton.

Some courses have great advantages from red tees and others not so much so but its all part of playing the game we love.

I wouldnt be comfortable being given extra shots as long as you dont ask me to come back to the mens tees.
    I understand that mens golf and ladies golf are often incomparable but its still great to get out and play together

Not that there wasn't any options at Carton, we were just told to play off green and I never asked. They were ridiculously short though. I have actually just posted on the Fota thread, we will be off the Whites there. Sure anyway, even with us off the greens @ Carton, wasn't Princess right up there in the mix :)

At the risk of getting myself lynched, I actually think that men and women should be able to compete together and everyone should play off the same tees. If you think of it, with the handicap system, golf is one sport where all walks of life can actually compete together on the same playing field, but yet Ladies everywhere are restricted to playing off the red forward tees. If ladies played week in, week out, off the same tees as the men, their handicaps would be reflected accordingly.

Red tees could be still used to play some competitions and everyone could have a go at playing off them. Maybe have them as an over 20 handicap comp every so often, or for the over 50's, or whatever.... you know what I mean.

Not that there wasn't any options at Carton, we were just told to play off green and I never asked. They were ridiculously short though. I have actually just posted on the Fota thread, we will be off the Whites there. Sure anyway, even with us off the greens @ Carton, wasn't Princess right up there in the mix :)

At the risk of getting myself lynched, I actually think that men and women should be able to compete together and everyone should play off the same tees. If you think of it, with the handicap system, golf is one sport where all walks of life can actually compete together on the same playing field, but yet Ladies everywhere are restricted to playing off the red forward tees. If ladies played week in, week out, off the same tees as the men, their handicaps would be reflected accordingly.

Red tees could be still used to play some competitions and everyone could have a go at playing off them. Maybe have them as an over 20 handicap comp every so often, or for the over 50's, or whatever.... you know what I mean.

It is an interesting idea.

But - I'm sure that it would change the game from a regulation perspective.

Shauna after her drive is typically ahead or at my ball when playing. It does mean she is disadvantaged as hitting a less lofted club into a par 4.
    But able to hit greens in regulation - it makes the game far more compariable and means we are all hitting from near the same place.
    It makes more sense and is more sociable - except when idiots like me walk ahead before all have teed off :o:D

But I sense Shauna would be a very long ball striker for most golfers.

As Seve has said - both Princess and Shauna have been in the mix. I'd say they are well able to pick one up.

It just is not that easy to win a board's outing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Shauna after her drive is typically ahead or at my ball when playing. It does mean she is disadvantaged as hitting a less lofted club into a par 4.
    But able to hit greens in regulation - it makes the game far more compariable and means we are all hitting from near the same place.
    It makes more sense and is more sociable - except when idiots like me walk ahead before all have teed off :o:D

As Seve has said - both Princess and Shauna have been in the mix. I'd say they are well able to pick one up.

Thats were your going wrong Fixde, you should try and win 2 :cool:

Yea, but over a period of time of playing from the back sticks would mean her handicap is adjusted accordingly. As happens with older men who can't get the distance they once had!

I played with a 13 yr old lad the other day, who plays off 8. He didn't hit the ball far at all, but was straight and steady. His 35 points could have been a lot more. Handicaps are there to level the playing field. Who says the playing field can't consist of Ladies & Men, Boys & Girls, aul lads & aul dears!

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Thats were your going wrong Fixde, you should try and win 2 :cool:

I missed a 2 foot putt :rolleyes: on the 17th @ Killeen Castle which would have got me my third win! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I missed a 2 foot putt :rolleyes: on the 17th @ Killeen Castle which would have got me my third win! :eek:

Don't be winding up Fixde now Capt. Play nice:D

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Don't be winding up Fixde now Capt. Play nice:D

I don't play nice... I play to WIN :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I don't play nice... I play to WIN :cool:

I'm in the same group as Seve on the day. If your in another group & doing well text me in your order. I'll offer single Seve backswing distractions for €5 each or do 5 separate distractions for €20.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

That would have brought you level with me :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thanks for that ;)

Advertisement