Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it rape?

Options
  • 13-04-2015 10:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm not speaking legally here. Not sure how I'm speaking to be honest.
    When is it 'rape' when you comply out of fear etc. but 'comply'.

Comments

Goshen wrote: »

Do you have a specific question? Do you think you might have raped someone?

Surely the only definition that should matter is the legal one, but personally it is when the person doesn't or can't consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

"Rape" is a legal matter and can only really be defined in a legal way

What I would say generally is that if your consent (to anything) is coerced through force or fear etc. then it isn't really consent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭Goshen

Do you have a specific question? Do you think you might have raped someone?

Surely the only definition that should matter is the legal one, but personally it is when the person doesn't or can't consent.

Lol no. I'm female. Thanks for your help.

Lol no. I'm female. Thanks for your help.

Are you saying women can't be rapists? Obvious troll is obvious.

Riskymove wrote: »
    "Rape" is a legal matter and can only really be defined in a legal way

What I would say generally is that if your consent (to anything) is coerced through force or fear etc. then it isn't really consent.

This is what I needed to read. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Advertisement

As I said, I will not be pursuing legal action. Pretty difficult to prove anyway. It is basically to try to come to terms with something myself and I need a word to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

do you mean you have sex out of fear for your physical wellbeing and generally don't want to have sex?
    if a person is threatening you with the words if you don't have sex with him he's doing 'xyz' to you, you need to make it clear to the person you are not interacting with him/her anymore.
    but if it's that bad, you fear for your physical health, you need to get away as quickly as possible and also report it to the guards.

would be good if you could give more infos as it is difficult to figure out what your definite problem is.

tara73 wrote: »
    do you mean you have sex out of fear for your physical wellbeing and generally don't want to have sex?
    if a person is threatening you with the words if you don't have sex with him he's doing 'xyz' to you, you need to make it clear to the person you are not interacting with him/her anymore.
    but if it's that bad, you fear for your physical health, you need to get away as quickly as possible and also report it to the guards.

would be good if you could give more infos as it is difficult to figure out what your definite problem is.

I think I have given adequate detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Some one putting you in fear is an assault in its self. 'Consenting' out of fear is not consent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP, can you talk to a Rape Crisis Counsellor?
    The very fact that you are asking here means you are not happy with what happened. Apart entirely from any legal things, you should speak to someone about how you feel about it.

• Advertisement

OP, you should consider contacting your local rape crisis centre.

Some one putting you in fear is an assault in its self. 'Consenting' out of fear is not consent.

I pretty much knew that but could not find words to describe what is happening. Cheers

I pretty much knew that but could not find words to describe what is happening. Cheers

Can you get out of the situation?

spurious wrote: »
    OP, can you talk to a Rape Crisis Counsellor?
    The very fact that you are asking here means you are not happy with what happened. Apart entirely from any legal things, you should speak to someone about how you feel about it.

Will be something I consider at a later date than today. Thanks though, I would not have considered this.

Can you get out of the situation?

I can and I can't. Out of the frying pan into the fire...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Are you safe now? You can phone the rape crisis centre for help or advice on this anytime 1800 77 88 88

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Will be something I consider at a later date than today. Thanks though, I would not have considered this.

Sometimes it can still feel a bit raw emotions wise to talk to the rape crisis centre but if you need advice from them you can email them too if you feel to shook up to talk.
    And I think the advice you get from there will help you in so many ways, and they will also give you advice you might not of thought of too, preserving clothing etc, if your still in fear you could also contact women's aid or women's refuge.
    Most of all stay strong and stay safe.

mapaca wrote: »
    Are you safe now? You can phone the rape crisis centre for help or advice on this.

Depends on your definition of safe. Generally, if I have sex with him on demand, I am safe and well looked after. Problems manifest when I don't want sex. So mostly I comply.

I would like to apologise for suspecting that the OP is a troll and reiterate what everyone else is saying - contact your local rape crisis centre. Sooner rather than later.
    Depends on your definition of safe. Generally, if I have sex with him on demand, I am safe and well looked after. Problems manifest when I don't want sex. So mostly I comply.

Is there anything keeping you in that relationship or anything making you afraid to leave?

Yes. Money basically.

• Advertisement

I can and I can't. Out of the frying pan into the fire...

I get you. I dont know whether youre an adult or not. Either way, you can take steps to get out of the situation safely. You dont deserve this and you dont have to let anyone near you if you dont want them to be. You can take steps to stop it.

Yes. Money basically.

If you contact women's aid you don't need any money to be safe they will help you with a place to stay, to be safe and with money, please never think you have to stay in a situation like this because of that.

Yes. Money basically.

I'm not talking about anything more than money to survive. I'm not in Ireland but am Irish. That and the emotional hold he has over me. We have sex. I should be grateful or something. So he thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jesus, get out of there. No amount of money is worth fearing for your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Yes, this situation is all wrong. Manipulation and abuse. You do not have to stay with him. You have taken the first step in posting here. Please contact rape crisis help or women's aid where you are. They can give you practical advice and support for the next step, when you're ready.

No matter where you are in the world there will be either a women's aid centre or women's refuge, both will give you advice and a place of safety, please know your not alone and there are people who can help you and who care.

I 'choose' to stay with him apparently so his lawyer has advised him. As I said I just need to get words to describe stuff for myself so I can look at it and figure out what is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Goshen the very fact that he got advice from his lawyer doesn't mean you have to stay. You only have his word that he even spoke to him, why would he even speak to a lawyer unless he knew he raped you?

To even tell you of this conversation is so manipulative and sinister.

Money can be earned again, please don't worry about leaving a financially secure life (I get the impression that you are worried about how you'll survive financially) you being physically safe is much more important. Do you have family or friends that could help you out with a plane ticket home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

If you comply because you don't want problems to manifest then it is against your will. This is rape.
    I 'choose' to stay with him apparently so his lawyer has advised him. As I said I just need to get words to describe stuff for myself so I can look at it and figure out what is going on

His lawyer does not know whether or not you have a choice in the matter. Be safe Goshen, get out ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dont listen to his lawyer. And especially don't listen to what your partner tells you his lawyer said, because its a very good chance that its at best, a stretch of the truth.

Get your own lawyer. Or, if you cant, contact a women's shelter organisation wherever you are, and they can advise you impartially. They also can counsel for rape.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement