Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ exposes Miracle Mineral Supplement

Options
  • 08-04-2015 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Did anybody see the exposé on MMS or Miracle Mineral Supplement on RTÉ's Prime Time?

The snake oil salesman Jim Humble, a panama hat wearing former Scientologist creep who claims to be an alien, who lives in South America has a world wide network of sales people flogging his bogus MMS or Miracle Mineral Supplement concoction that supposedly cures HIV, malaria, hepatitis viruses, the H1N1 flu virus, common colds, autism, acne, cancer, and much more.

The vile substance turns out to be bleach.

Humble has dreamed up his religion and calls himself a bishop which his "clergymen" arrange meetings where people sign up to the new faith and pay hundreds of bucks.

Among those targeted are the desperate parents of autistic kids who are told their condition is caused by viruses and pathogens and worms.

When the kids drink the bleach they get sick and suffer from diarrhea excreting their stomach linings.

The snake oil merchants claims the stomach linings which look like "worms" to the layman are proof of the success of MMS.

David McCullough interviewed a woman who is one of Humble's chief disciples.

Despite RTÉ sending sample of MMS to be chemically tested proving it to contain dangerous levels of chlorite and to have the same properties as industrial bleach, the crazy deluded woman still swears by MMS.

It is truly bizarre and shocking that people could be taken in by this transparent charlatanism but sadly they are and kids are suffering because Humble - even his name is a sick joke - and his evil henchmen have fooled their parents into feeding their kids bleach.

MMS causes nausea and prolonged use can lead to kidney damaged and other disorders.

You can watch the full episode here:

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10400123/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I saw the last 15 minutes or so of it. Typical sleazy con artists peddling snake oil to the vulnerable. I have to say that no matter how desperate someone is to help a child, I can't understand how they think that they can 'cure' autism. The American woman did herself no favours whatsoever trying to evade giving him honest answers by wriggling through legal loopholes and technicalities.

How can anyone take seriously the medical advice of a man who claims to be a part of an alien space navy?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

I saw the last 15 minutes or so of it. Typical sleazy con artists peddling snake oil to the vulnerable. I have to say that no matter how desperate someone is to help a child, I can't understand how they think that they can 'cure' autism. The American woman did herself no favours whatsoever trying to evade giving him honest answers by wriggling through legal loopholes and technicalities.

How can anyone take seriously the medical advice of a man who claims to be a part of an alien space navy?

Well lots of people believe Pope Francis is the successor of St. Peter and that a carpenter from 1st century Galilee was the Son of God and that his virgin mother once appeared on the gable wall of a church in County Mayo in 1879.

So it's not hard to see people following Jim Humble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Without sounding too cold, anyone who believed him and bought this stuff must have been a fcuking idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Jim Humble? You wouldn't begrudge the man some success with a name like that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As a parent of a child with Autism, hell, as a parent in general, I find this sickening. Preying on the desperate, causing children to be sick, for money. You don't get much worse. Anyone selling this stuff should be prosecuted for child abuse. I haven't watched the video (doubt my stomach could handle it!), was there any charges or convictions stemming from this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The American woman did herself no favours whatsoever trying to evade giving him honest answers by wriggling through legal loopholes and technicalities.

she (kerri rivera) said she wasn't in it for the money or fame, but with a €285 membership fee someone somewhere is making alot of dough out of this

it seems like a pyramid scheme selling snake oil.......its one of down sides of the internet age

• Registered Users Posts: 29,025 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fryup wrote: »
    she (kerri rivera) said she wasn't in it for the money or fame, but with a €285 membership fee someone somewhere is making alot of dough out of this
    Ah, but you get ordained for that fee :rolleyes:

That programme last night was the most bizarre, surreal thing I've seen in a long time. It was like something you'd see in deepest darkest outback America (with all due respect to 99.9% of Americans!)

Hard to believe these nutjobs are operating in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,321 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah, but you get ordained for that fee :rolleyes:

That programme last night was the most bizarre, surreal thing I've seen in a long time. It was like something you'd see in deepest darkest outback America (with all due respect to 99.9% of Americans!)

Hard to believe these nutjobs are operating in Ireland.

they are not the only ones. There are people selling something called GAPS that also prey on people with autistic kids. It seems to be a growth industry.

Andreas Kalcker is one of Humble's henchmen rambling on about David Icke's style bullsh*t about ancient aliens visiting ancient civilisations.

Kerri Rivera, Kalcker again and some creep called Dr. Marco Ruggiero selling their crap using official sound words like "protocol" and other pseudo-scientific sounding buzzwords.

I posted these videos to give a sample of the kind of official sounding horsecrap these charlatans comes out with.

Clearly what they have done is watch genuine press conferences by real doctors and scientists and read online peer reviewed journals to come up with convincing sounding presentations and complicated sounding jargon language to confuse and fool the scientifically illiterate.

A nice white coat and a slick suit and a foreign accent can work wonders among "humble folk without temptation."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Whether it's bleach or not it should be totally illegal to fraudulently claim you have a medical cure/whatever else they'll call it, without having it peer reviewed like real medicine does. It's dangerous that some people are so stupid and could be lead a stray to the point of feeding a sick child bleach and documenting how long the pieces of internal organs falling out of them are.

It just so happens that in this case MMS is bleach, but for the likes of homoeopathy that does absolutely nothing, this is just as dangerous as people go without real treatment in lieu of little tick tacs of sugary water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only health gurus I trust are the one's saying "don't eat food with pesticides on it".
    The rest are all quacks.

Whether it's bleach or not it should be totally illegal to fraudulently claim you have a medical cure/whatever else they'll call it, without having it peer reviewed like real medicine does. It's dangerous that some people are so stupid and could be lead a stray to the point of feeding a sick child bleach and documenting how long the pieces of internal organs falling out of them are.

It just so happens that in this case MMS is bleach, but for the likes of homoeopathy that does absolutely nothing, this is just as dangerous as people go without real treatment in lieu of little tick tacs of sugary water

You will probably find disclaimers hidden away in their literature that says something similar to
    This information is opinion and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Really should turf these fools out.

That is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That documentary and some of the people in it made my skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its more desperation than stupidity on the parents part but as in everything in this life you have to be in other persons position to really understand

Its more desperation than stupidity on the parents part but as in everything in this life you have to be in other persons position to really understand

I dont think anybody is putting any blame on the people taken in by this nonsense. In desperate times people will try things they normally wouldnt.

I dont think anybody is putting any blame on the people taken in by this nonsense. In desperate times people will try things they normally wouldnt.

If you are prepared to be taken in by this you are to blame.
    Before you give your kid "medicine" you freaking find out what the hell is in the stuff!
    Jesus.
    The creeps selling this crap should be prosecuted no question but grown adults with brains in their heads should use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I hate these snake oil pushers praying on desperate sick people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Before you give your kid "medicine" you freaking find out what the hell is in the stuff!
    Jesus.
    The creeps selling this crap should be prosecuted no question but grown adults with brains in their heads should use them.

do you have a child with Autism?

Jesus.

when modern medicine offers you no cure you will try anything in desperation. the parents are not to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Desperation is no excuse for giving a child that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Having a child with autism doesn't turn you stupid, there are no excuses for people who bought in to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What does that have to do with anything? You don't give any child any medication without making damn sure that it's safe. ESPECIALLY if they're autistic and may have trouble communicating any side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

biko wrote: »
    The only health gurus I trust are the one's saying "don't eat food with pesticides on it".
    The rest are all quacks.

In fairness I would also trust the ones who say "don't put your junk into the vacuum cleaner nozzle" and such too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I feel for the parents of those children but to buy into these 'cures' you have to buy into the idea that there's an entire conspiracy being worked upon you by millions of genuine doctors and healthcare professionals worldwide who are out to supress these 'miracle cures' because....reasons.

If I had a kid with autism then all the more reason why I would find out more about who this person is who is peddling a miracle cure.

Just because raising an autistic kid might suck does not mean you are entitled to go down the rabbit hole and let yourself be fooled into feeding the kid bleach because some wacko told you to.

if the parents of a kid who needs transfusions were members of the Jehovah's Witnesses and put their faith in prayer rather than get the help their kid needs they should go to jail if the kid dies. Stupidity and gullibility are no excuse.

when modern medicine offers you no cure you will try anything in desperation. the parents are not to blame.

Yes they are.

somehow this thread has taken a very dark turn.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I hate these snake oil pushers praying on desperate sick people.

It would bad enough if it was just water and they just took their money.
    Homeopaths do that for a living.

But this stuff is f*cking bleach. They con gullible people out of their money and also get them seriously ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Absolutely sickening!!

Advertisement