Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Only the last one of those is the 0806.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Only the last one of those is the 0806.

Is it a cheap knock off or is it the real thing.

I went looking and found the few I posted above just wondering are any of them any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is it a cheap knock off or is it the real thing.

I went looking and found the few I posted above just wondering are any of them any good.

I have an 0801 and as the cheaper if the E-Prance offerings, I can still say it's a very good camera,

I've posted a few videos in the dash cam saves your ass thread if you want to have a look at some examples of the quality the 0801 gives.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524172&page=491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have an 0801 and as the cheaper if the E-Prance offerings, I can still say it's a very good camera,

I've posted a few videos in the dash cam saves your ass thread if you want to have a look at some examples of the quality the 0801 gives.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524172&page=491

I have the 0801 mounted in my car. Daytime is very very good. Nighttime is very poor. Cheap as chips and worth a purchase for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

In my experience, several of those Mini 080x on sale are fake. Some are so cheap that they undoubtedly Chinese copies, probably with lesser performance.
    I bought mine on ebay, it works very fine and it's the original Mini 0801.

In my experience, several of those Mini 080x on sale are fake. Some are so cheap that they undoubtedly Chinese copies, probably with lesser performance.
    I bought mine on ebay, it works very fine and it's the original Mini 0801.

if bought from Amazon Prime, it will be the real deal, if still unhappy with it, Amazon will take it back.

There is a mini 0805 with motion detection as I would like to have that option it is on amazon and prime is ticked beside it would this be a good 1.

I found one been sold by gearbest but it is defo a knock off sh1t heap.
    Bought a dvr cctv off them before and recorded for 1min 20 sec and that was it and that was with a 32gb card.

I want one that is decent should hopefuly last as i have been unlucky with all previous cameras packing up after a few days to a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

There is a mini 0805 with motion detection as I would like to have that option it is on amazon and prime is ticked beside it would this be a good 1.

I found one been sold by gearbest but it is defo a knock off sh1t heap.
    Bought a dvr cctv off them before and recorded for 1min 20 sec and that was it and that was with a 32gb card.

I want one that is decent should hopefuly last as i have been unlucky with all previous cameras packing up after a few days to a year.

I was also considering getting an EPrance (0803) last year but it seemed to me to be a lottery with quality based on the reviews. If it worked it was great, but for a lot of people it just stopped working.

Eg, Out of 177 reviews, 24 gave it only 1, whereas only 5 reviewers gave it 2. This usually indicates an unreliable product when the 1 votes significantly outnumber the 2 votes.

The mobius on the other hand doesn't sell as well, but out of 56 reviews, 2 gave it 2, and 2 gave it 1.

josip wrote: »
    I was also considering getting an EPrance (0803) last year but it seemed to me to be a lottery with quality based on the reviews. If it worked it was great, but for a lot of people it just stopped working.

Eg, Out of 177 reviews, 24 gave it only 1, whereas only 5 reviewers gave it 2. This usually indicates an unreliable product when the 1 votes significantly outnumber the 2 votes.

The mobius on the other hand doesn't sell as well, but out of 56 reviews, 2 gave it 2, and 2 gave it 1.

The 0805 is an update of the 0803, and I believe they corrected the issues with it.

• Advertisement

As I wrote above, several websites sell fake Mini 080x and in my experience Amazon was one of them. That's why there so many negative feedbacks.
    As far as I know, of those who bought the genuine models, almost nobody had complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

So if I was interested in buying a dashcam soon. What one should I go for, which is best whilst still being cheapest. What's the best budget one? ...and where could I get it from that would make sure it's definitely going to be a genuine one? (Amazon Prime?)

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    So if I was interested in buying a dashcam soon. What one should I go for, which is best whilst still being cheapest. What's the best budget one? ...and where could I get it from that would make sure it's definitely going to be a genuine one? (Amazon Prime?)

the E-Prance mini 0801, £42.99 from Amazon (sold by E-Prance themselves)
    good 1080p HD camera at bargain price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-G-sensor-DVR/dp/B00F5WP990/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423837317&sr=8-1&keywords=0801

The 0805 is an update of the 0803, and I believe they corrected the issues with it.
    As I wrote above, several websites sell fake Mini 080x and in my experience Amazon was one of them. That's why there so many negative feedbacks.
    As far as I know, of those who bought the genuine models, almost nobody had complaints.

I'm not so sure, looks like there's still a lot of very unhappy customers with the 0805.

2q3vrd0.png

Is this the official E-PRANCE Amazon seller?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Ambarella-6-glass-G-Sensor-Detection-DVR-8GB/dp/B00SSW401M/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423838637&sr=1-3&keywords=0805

I would have preferred the EPrance over the Mobius, I just didn't like the odds of getting a lemon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

the E-Prance mini 0801, £42.99 from Amazon (sold by E-Prance themselves)
    good 1080p HD camera at bargain price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-G-sensor-DVR/dp/B00F5WP990/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423837317&sr=8-1&keywords=0801

That happened to be the one I was looking at too. What is it then with the case of more 1 stars than 2 stars. Is this people that got broken units or they happened to break after a few months?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    That happened to be the one I was looking at too. What is it then with the case of more 1 stars than 2 stars. Is this people that got broken units or they happened to break after a few months?

It seems consistent that they worked initially but then stopped working.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00F5WP990/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

So their quality control is good in that they don't ship any dodgy units.
    But the design is fundamentally flawed if they're on version 5 and still breaking within 6 months.
    And their after sales/customer service doesn't seem to want to know about problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Is it not the case that anyone with an account on amazon can write a review, even if they didn't buy that exact one / from that particular seller? So people get a fake one, then go online to vent their frustration, and what better place than amazon reviews...

I remember laptop reviews by people giving the laptop 1 star because they had problems with the company that sold it to them (not on amazon)

I've a Mobius and am impressed with the quality, would recommend it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I think with a lot of the mii 0801 and 0803 models with that same case design it was heat that killed the product. The latest model that has just been released is the 0806 and it has loads of ventilation holes and apparently the best night video so far. Also it can be mounted left or right (i.e. the mount can be on the left or right of the camera).

Down side is that it is 97pounds -> https://www.joovuu.com/gb/home/245-mini-0806.html

So would I be mad to buy the 0801 , 0803, or 0805.

I want something I can put up well behind rear view mirror so its hard to see.

So would I be mad to buy the 0801 , 0803, or 0805.

I want something I can put up well behind rear view mirror so its hard to see.

The 0801/3/5/6 are very discreet units, did you watch the techmoan reviews on YouTube?

You would not be mad to buy one, my 0801 is a month old, and functioning fine.
    Did you look at any of the videos I posted? (All made on the 0801)

If you still have a doubt, don't buy one, simple as that really.
    For the price, I took a chance, and am more than happy with it.

I'm not so sure, looks like there's still a lot of very unhappy customers with the 0805.

2q3vrd0.png

Is this the official E-PRANCE Amazon seller?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Ambarella-6-glass-G-Sensor-Detection-DVR-8GB/dp/B00SSW401M/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423838637&sr=1-3&keywords=0805

I would have preferred the EPrance over the Mobius, I just didn't like the odds of getting a lemon

I noticed with the Amazon reviews, they allow reviews for the 0801 & 0803 on the same page, so make sure you are reading a review for he actual camera your looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I ordered that 06 model, traffic in England is brutal, I should be able to wire that into my rear view mirror.

The 0801/3/5/6 are very discreet units, did you watch the techmoan reviews on YouTube?

You would not be mad to buy one, my 0801 is a month old, and functioning fine.
    Did you look at any of the videos I posted? (All made on the 0801)

If you still have a doubt, don't buy one, simple as that really.
    For the price, I took a chance, and am more than happy with it.

Yes I did thanks very much for writing back and everybody else.

The quality of picture does seem good.

I was getting a strange vibe when went looking at them on eBay, amazon etc.
    And the different names and cheap knock offs.

I don't want to get stung with the rubbish as this has happened to me before with other stuff.

I would love to buy the latest but at nearly£100 its quite dear.

The mini 08## series are a very nice descreet looking which is what I need.

rocky wrote: »
    Is it not the case that anyone with an account on amazon can write a review, even if they didn't buy that exact one / from that particular seller? So people get a fake one, then go online to vent their frustration, and what better place than amazon reviews...

I remember laptop reviews by people giving the laptop 1 star because they had problems with the company that sold it to them (not on amazon)

I've a Mobius and am impressed with the quality, would recommend it :)

Amazon now identify reviews that are from people who bought a product on Amazon.
    Verified Purchase Reviews

What's an "Amazon Verified Purchase" review?

When a product review is marked "Amazon Verified Purchase", it means that the customer who wrote the review purchased the item at Amazon.co.uk.
    For the link I posted earlier, 23 of the 24 1-star reviews were amazon verified customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey guys,

Slow to the race but think its time I get a dashcam. I would ideally like the unit to be tidy and hardwired. Are the ones recommended over the last few pages suitable for this?

Thanks in Advance.

budhabob wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Slow to the race but think its time I get a dashcam. I would ideally like the unit to be tidy and hardwired. Are the ones recommended over the last few pages suitable for this?

Thanks in Advance.

Any of them can be hard wired in once cable is long enough.
    I am working on getting as much info as I can on the mini 08"" series as its small and can be placed behind mirror.

I like the look of them but want reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

This is the mini 0806, looks good.

Will install at weekend, need to see the wiring on mirror.

20150223_201255.jpg

20150223_201326.jpg

Hachiko wrote: »
    This is the mini 0806, looks good.

Will install at weekend, need to see the wiring on mirror.

Wow, where did you buy it?

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/home/245-mini-0806.html

price seems to go up each day

I got a 128GB class 10 card also, thats me done with dash cams. Need to see how I can wire this into my car now and access either the rain sensor or rear mirror, keeping in mind i need to put the cig lighter there too (or the inside of it).

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/home/245-mini-0806.html

price seems to go up each day

I got a 128GB class 10 card also, thats me done with dash cams. Need to see how I can wire this into my car now and access either the rain sensor or rear mirror, keeping in mind i need to put the cig lighter there too (or the inside of it).

Is it genuine?

• Advertisement

is what genuine?

if you mean the cam, of course its genuine. The box and contents are all of quality, down to the cleaning cloth.

the website is reputable in any case. The memory card is the same as I have in my note 4, sandisk ultra.

if you mean the cam, of course its genuine. The box and contents are all of quality, down to the cleaning cloth.

the website is reputable in any case. The memory card is the same as I have in my note 4, sandisk ultra.

Yes thank you.

I would like to get 1 you know when you say price keeps going up what is a good price for 1 ?

Thank you!
    At the moment it seems they're out of stock until April 1st, so if one is in a hurry to have one it's better find some other place :)

I will get mine running over the weekend, waiting on the sd card, I want to wire it into the rear camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What programmes/apps are you guys using to break down & edit the time-length of the videos?

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Windows movie maker, very easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

VirtualDub.

iMovie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Quicktime

I tried some fierce complicated application (VSDC I think) first of all, but gave up after a day and have been very happy with Movie Maker since

some footage from the 0806, highest resolution. I am in the process of cleaning up wires, can put the +Ve and Ground wires from the cig lighter under the cover of the mirror arm. Not much room behind the mirror as there is a rain sensor also, might need to leave this unit within sight. If its hidden from view i have problems accessing the memory slot/usb power.

Youtube has reduced the quality of this, by a good amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5GLL1PKW0&feature=youtu.be

uncompressed footage here if anyone has fast internet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40ozlv8bdmv3z7c/AMBA0067.MOV?dl=0

uncompressed footage here if anyone has fast internet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40ozlv8bdmv3z7c/AMBA0067.MOV?dl=0

Watched the footage directly from Dropbox, but the quality was terrible. The data bottom-right was nearly unreadable. Is it dropbox or my connection?
    Much much better on youtube.

dont know whats up with the videos, the file from the micro sd card is fine, here is a screen shot from the km player

20150301_212354.jpg

20150301_212516.jpg

tucked in behind the mirror, only unsightly bit is the cig lighter/buck converter. In normal usage you dont see anything so its fine by me, will just sit in the background, hopefully unused.

20150303_222215.jpg

20150303_222209.jpg

20150303_181301.jpg

20150303_181235.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The same place I mounted mine. It is barely noticeable but I did have to put some black tape over the blue power on led. It wouldn't be spotted easily from the outside unless you were right up to the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

does anyone use a dash cam for the rear window (which wouldn't be a "dash" cam then I suppose).
    ?

celica00 wrote: »
    does anyone use a dash cam for the rear window (which wouldn't be a "dash" cam then I suppose).
    ?

not yet, but when I can buy an 0806, I'll put the 0801 on the rear window so I'll then have front/rear facing cameras.

I see as much crap going on behind me as well as in front of me.

some news about this

We are considering not stocking the 0806 at the moment due to some issues and instead will be switching to a more reliable camera. Regarding the parking guard mount features these have not been confirmed to us so we do not want to give any false information out. The forward collision warning is activated by assessing oncoming traffic etc. We have luckily never had to use this.

Any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

I contacted them about a replacement and they said

You are indeed, we will be stocking a much better camera shortly that we can replace for you? It will be the Koonlung C75.

Any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

I have not noticed anything wrong, but annoyingly I looked at footage just a while ago as i passed out a nasty accident this am going to work and saw all the clips came in at 20 seconds or something. It might have been to the power lead, I think it needs re solder, the power could have been lost on the device.

You are indeed, we will be stocking a much better camera shortly that we can replace for you? It will be the Koonlung C75.

This one has no built-in GPS receiver. The C81 does have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement