Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do with these monies

Options
  • 23-12-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Okay figured I'd receive most variety of responses in here so if I may Please...

Long story short I've come by some monies that had me in tears reading the amount. Anywhoo, my Late Loving Dad passed away on December 20th of lastyear and I owed him circa 2-grand.

Monies will be sent anonymously to varying charities or else I'd use Dads' name and it won't come back to me in any way, but I'm trying to find another fitting way to spend these monies since I can't physically give Dad the monies that I owe him :(

What suggestions would you have for me Please?
    Many Many Thanks
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

What in the name of J are "monies"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Spend it on pints of Beamish for yourself, just like he would have wanted you to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Any charities that he was particularly supportive of? Perhaps some local charity that would know your Dad?

Lovely thought, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

LauraLynn Children's Hospice

https://lauralynn.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

In his memory - stop using the term monies!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

kerry4sam wrote:
    Monies will be sent anonymously to varying charities or else I'd use Dads' name and it won't come back to me in any way, but I'm trying to find another fitting way to spend these monies since I can't physically give Dad the monies that I owe him 

good on ya re the charities.
    I'll forward you me bank details !
    you'll get some quare answers here (as I'm sure you're well aware) !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Santa Strike Force?

Either that or Médecins Sans Frontières... or some locally run charities / community initiatives in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

There was a lot of damage done by the storms on your part of the country last winter; perhaps sponsor the planting of new trees in some parks? You'ld have the pleasure of seeing them grow over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Aids for Africa.

I think thats what its called....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Keep it local, small charities working in your area will appreciate it much more than larger charities that act like businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Whatever you spend it on charities/good cause make you sure you can see what it does and where it goes.
    I wouldn't give a red cent to a charity without seeing every step my money takes.

Also, if you have a Son/Daughter, and they owed you €2,000 while you were ill/dying, would you not prefer they kept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

give half to charity, make it as local as you can,

maybe a local meals and wheels org maybe, personally dont trust the bigger charities after all thats gone on!

maybe set up a fixed term a/c and deposit the rest in that,
    put a lock on it so you cant access it for a couple of years
    you ll be thankful when in 2019 you ll be able to buy a new car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay figured I'd receive most variety of responses in here so if I may Please...

Long story short I've come by some monies that had me in tears reading the amount. Anywhoo, my Late Loving Dad passed away on December 20th of lastyear and I owed him circa 2-grand.

Monies will be sent anonymously to varying charities or else I'd use Dads' name and it won't come back to me in any way, but I'm trying to find another fitting way to spend these monies since I can't physically give Dad the monies that I owe him :(

What suggestions would you have for me Please?
    Many Many Thanks
    kerry4sam

Why has the amount have you in tears. Did you come about this money immoral in some way. To answer your question as the one of the posts says I say your father would wish you to use the money to help youself in someway especially if giving it away would make your financial situation bad. I applaud you wanting to settle your debt and giving it to charities is great but using it yourself to pay off bills/mortgage to relieve money stresses might be a something you might considering doing. I say you father may like you to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A charity that benefits children to signify /remember your relationship with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Buy 400 copies of Do they know it's Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Aids for Africa.

I think thats what its called....

Pretty sure Africa has enough AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Nothing immoral with how I received them Thank God. Just took my breath away is all & all I wanted to do was tell my Dad as he knew the pain & suffering I went to these past few years and was there every step of the way with me!

Wow some lovely ideas in here...Thank You!

I've a few charities in mind alright but need to give thought to the meaning and ensuring monies go directly where Dad would like them to go and not lining anothers pocket un-necessarily you know.

These monies won't be saved by me, not these 2-grand - have to be spent for my Dad, adamant about that; the meals on wheels and homeless-charities sound wonderful to me ; the assistance re:flood relief sounds real nice also; a hospice will also benefit as they done tremendous work for a cousin of mine before he passed away...

Keep the ideas coming if you don't mind,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It depends on your dad and what he was like. Personally I wouldn't give a cent to third world charities and I know some of the clientele of the local ones have multiple supports in place. If it was England, the RHS so that gardening could be promoted and ordinary people would have places to enjoy. If you're a sea going family the RNLI do very valuable work. IMHO be wary of local groups who'd piss it away on the 'disadvantaged".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

SVdP always need money this time of year.

They do great work, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Take the money, go to your local supermarket and buy a **** load of non perishable food (rice, pasta, tined stuff) and take it to the local soup kitchen.........sure there are people who would be greatful of it at this time of year.

Alternatively ring them and ask what it is they need and go out an buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I remember reading your post about the circumstances of your Dad's death at the time & feeling heartbroken for you K4S (I've always been very close to my own Dad, so it certainly resonated).

I saw a feature on BBC News this evening, where a retired teacher gathered many older folks together for a Christmas knees-up featuring a great looking feed & a sing-song. There were a fair few attendees and I was surprised to see it came in on a budget of £1000stg. Obviously wouldn't be feasible this year, but doing something simple like that on a local level for folks (some of whom might have known your Dad) could be quite special.

Alternatively, I think the Irish Hospice Foundation is a terrific organisation, which not only helps to provide dignity to those at the end of their lives, but also funds bereavement programmes to make life a little easier for those who naturally struggle with the loss of their nearest & dearest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

A few of the aforementioned charities also accept food and material contributions, which may not be a bad idea.
    You could buy a fair bit for a few different places.

EDIT.
    I was on the phone there when I started typing, and the above two posts seem to say the same thing or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What in the name of J are "monies"?

You know.

Dinero, moolah, cabbage, cheddar, Benjamins, scratch, shekels.

Yamanoto: Many Thank You. Yeah my thread in the Kerry forum here is now bringing some new ideas to the fore for me with the Great Work being done by Good Samaritans throughout this country :)

Yey! 2015 - Oh so looking forward to starting 2015 Now! Oh I really need to do this right :o

Thanks Again,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

LauraLynn Children's Hospice

https://lauralynn.ie/

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

It's so tragic that a hospice just for babies and children has to exist. My heart breaks for the founder, who lost two babies to cancer.

It's the top of my last when I have money spare to donate to charity. And as an organisation it's always been unimpeachable from a moral/ethical point of view, from everything I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yamanoto: Many Thank You. Yeah my thread in the Kerry forum here is now bringing some new ideas to the fore for me with the Great Work being done by Good Samaritans throughout this country :)

Yey! 2015 - Oh so looking forward to starting 2015 Now! Oh I really need to do this right :o

Thanks Again,
    kerry4sam

Just read your post from last year, very very touching indeed.

I see why you feel the need to do something with the money and as said already, donating to the usual big charities won't go anywhere. Go local with the cash, it will go so much further. meals on wheels would do great work with it and you could probably even deliver some of the stuff yourself.

And you call the 'monies' anything you want to, I personally prefer the term spondulics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

I'm going to be very boring, but invest the money in a reliable savings scheme e.g. http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Savings+and+Investments/

Give the interest to charity. It'll also give you time to think about which charity to give the money.

(also fair fecks to ya.)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

I would also like to suggest Laura Lynn. The last I read it was the only children's hospice and it receives no state funding. Its my first thought any time I think of a charity, who wouldn't want a child with such a short life to enjoy the most of their time here.

For what its worth I think no matter what you do with the cash its a great idea. Money comes and goes but at least you can look back and say your dads money did some good for others rather than paying bills etc. Just make sure whoever you donate it to is genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP give it in your name and get the tax credit for it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Again Everyone ^^^
    hfallada wrote: »
    OP give it in your name and get the tax credit for it.

No it's not mine, but Thank You. I remember before though when I donated a large sum to a charity, they e-mailed me a form that I'd to complete and send back so they could claim the tax back... That's another option :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement