Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Just a thought on the tired arms O. You might have been pushing too hard on the reps and getting tense. What you want to remember during workouts is to keep relaxed and fast. Practicing workouts should be all about getting comfortable and efficient at that given pace.:)

Edit: By getting tense, effort level rises and efficiency drops thus nullifying the benefits of the reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Just a thought on the tired arms O. You might have been pushing too hard on the reps and getting tense. What you want to remember during workouts is to keep relaxed and fast. Practicing workouts should be all about getting comfortable and efficient at that given pace.:)

Yes 'fast and relaxed' is being drummed into me on a daily basis:) and I am really focusing on relaxed running form. I really don't feel I'm tensing up my arms but maybe I am.
    I didn't feel it last week during the same session so it could possible have been the lack of food. I'll keep an eye on it!
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yeah defo barry. Didn't feel it at the time though.
    Obviously I felt fresher at the start and a bit more tired as the time went on but the effort felt the same.
    Oh to have those lovely even splits that so many Boardsies seem to be able to manage... To me it's impossible unless I'm watching the garmin!

Very difficult over such a short distance to get even splits. With the Garmin I mean, for it to even out.

Trust yourself...

Wednesday 10 December
    AIS, LM pre run
    am: 35 mins easy
    A windy few easy miles.
    10:07 avg pace

pm: 40 mins easy
    AIS, LM pre run
    A windier few easy miles
    10:08 avg pace

Thursday 11 December
    2 x 15 mins at LT (60 min race effort) off 5 min jog recoveries

AIS, LM pre run
    Wind wasn't too bad tonight. It was mainly coming from the sides on the route I fixed on so it didn't bother me too much except for short periods here and there but I kept the "fast and relaxed' mantra in my head and didn't tense up and force the effort.

Warm up, 9:32, 9:37 (it's always a good sign when my warm up miles are at a nice decent pace)
    First 15 mins: 7:59, 8:12 (pace)
    Second 15 mins: 8:10, 8:08 (pace)
    I only remembered when I finished the session that I was supposed to pick up the pace for the last 3 mins to 10k and then down to 3k effort. Oh well.... I can't be perfect and infallible every night:)

Cooldown, 9:45, 8:52, 9:30, 9:41 (pace)
    Felt good and strong tonight despite my very poor sleep "pattern" of late.

9.5 miles @ 9 min/mile avg pace
    Myrtl post run

Will take 2 easy days before my long run Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Love that 'good and strong feeling', always a good sign!

Friday 12 December
    6 miles easy w/6x25 sec strides

AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    Nice relaxed relaxing run, focusing on running tall with light feet.
    6 miles @ 9:42 avg pace

Saturday 13 December

AIS, LM pre run
    First really frosty, icy slippy run of the year for me. I can't even walk on the paths without slipping let alone run on it! There were people whizzing past me in park without slipping and falling. Not sure what kind of shoes they must be wearing :confused:
    Stuck to the grass. Luckily there were some nice frozen mucky paths mapped out in the grass from the XC last weekend which suited me fine to follow. Super slow run but enjoyed it once I stayed off the concrete. Picked up the effort for 3 mins to about 10k effort towards the end and was surprised to see it was under 8 pace despite being run on the grass which I always find tough.

pm: 5 miles easy w/6x25 sec strides
    AIS, LM pre run
    This was one of those runs that I just wanted to go on forever but I have my long run tomorrow so it would have been silly to do much more today. Everything felt fluid and very easy tonight. A nice feeling :) Pace looks too fast for an easy run but it was a breeze tonight.
    5 miles @ 9:31 avg pace
    Myrtl routine post run

Was looking at my Garmin stats earlier. My average running pace was 10:51min/mile for the month of January 2014. It's gotten gradually faster each month and it's now at 9:34min/mile for December and I'm running much more and I've never felt better so I must be doing something right!
    Looking forward to my long run with HEAE work tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Monday 8 December
    AIS, LM pre run
    6.5 miles easy

I let the WORLD Atlas of Wine (a very large heavy tome) fall on my right toes on my way out the door to do this:( The pain was so bad I felt a bit sick. It didn't hurt me when running thankfully, but it was very sore and bruised to the touch and later that night in bed.
    6.5 miles @ 9:47 avg pace

Ouch... does that count as a running injury or a drinking injury? :rolleyes:

Sunday 14 December
    60 mins at HEAE (2 hr race effort)

Had a fantastic sleep last night and a lovely relaxing morning in bed watching the Euro XC. A great start to the day! It's the simple things...

This was one of those perfect runs where everything felt A-1. 20 mins warm up and I was feeling good. It was nice and cool but not as cold as recent days so a teeshirt was perfect.
    The haea part of the run just felt effortless today compared to last week. I did feel I was working a bit (on the cusp of a hardish effort) but it was still very manageable and I thoroughly enjoyed it and was sad when I had to stop at the end of the 60 mins :( Could easily have kept that effort up for another hour so I think I got the effort spot on today. My form felt very good and I feel it didn't falter as the run went on. I held back a bit during the windy stretches to ensure I focused on 'relaxed' posture.
    It was a great run all in all:)
    It was pitch dark by the end of the 60 mins so I couldn't do as much of a cool down as I wanted as I just didn't feel safe in the park and the car was parked in a very quiet spot so I didn't want to leave it too late jogging back towards it. I could barely see where I was going either! Must get a headlamp.
    11 miles @ 9:12 avg pace

Weekly total 59 miles
    Another solid week which I really happy with and hope to mirror that again next week before things start getting hairy with xmas and weddings and everything that goes with it...

You're revving up the mileage, impressed. No caveat about injury from me cos your routine is so thorough I'd say it's the least injury-prone schedule going. Nice.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You're revving up the mileage, impressed. No caveat about injury from me cos your routine is so thorough I'd say it's the least injury-prone schedule going. Nice.

thanks! Yeah all the ancillary stuff is defo paying off. Not a niggle since February! Can't complain.

• Advertisement

Monday 15 December
    am: 38 mins easy
    Nice easy mid-morning leg losener. AIS and Lunge Matrix pre run.
    9:58 avg pace

pm: 45 mins easy
    AIS, LM
    Had one of those 'cheeky little' mid-afternoon naps that are so popular in some circles. It did feel very cheeky in a self-indulgent kinda way:D Well I felt horrible when I woke up! Felt really sluggish and more tiredererer than before it. It certainly didn't rejuvenate me!
    Took a while to wake up on the run but felt grand after 10 mins or so. Left out the strides though as wanna be super fresh for my 3 x 8 mins @ 5k (ish pace) tomorrow! Can't wait!
    Myrtl post run
    9:48 avg pace

8.5 daily total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

A power nap should be no longer that 30 mins as otherwise your body things that its going to sleep for the night. Also it needs to be early in the day. Anything after 4pm ish is too late

Tuesday 16 December
    AIS pre run
    3 x 8 mins @ 5k-4 mile race effort off 5 min jog recoveries
    warm up: 9:43, 9:49
    Lovely day in the Phoenix Park. Weather was sublime, but I was fecking freezing on my warm up.. It normally doesn't bother me too much but it bothered me greatly this morning! I had a teeshirt on but was sorry I didn't wear long sleeves. Later on in the run however, I was delighted I had short sleeves:)

First 8 mins: 7:45 pace (one of the bloody ribbons/laces on my ST5s untied 5 mins in so had to stop very briefly but the disruption to the session probably means I didn't get the full benefit. Tried not to hammer the remainder of the rep after the little break to make it unrealistically "fast".
    Since I bought those runners 2 years ago I've been meaning to replace the ribbons/laces with proper laces but too lazy to get around to it. I normally tie them about 6 times to ensure they won't come undone but only had them tied 3 times today! Lesson learned...

Second 8 mins: 7:48 (slight incline but effort was the same) Was working hard but it was enjoyable and I got into a nice rhythm.

Third 8 mins: 7:44 (Still working but enjoyable at the same time and could have extended the rep if called for)

Was to do these at a little slower than 5k race effort so think I judged it fairly well. Pity the disruption had to happen on the first one :(
    Recoveries were ample and I definitely felt best on the last rep and could have done another rep if called for. Happy enough with that.
    The good news is that I did this exact session on the 4th November and the paces were 7:56, 7:58, 7:58 so that shows a decent improvement.

8 miles total

AIS post run

Was a big struggle to refrain from going out for a little potter around the streets this evening as my favourite running is easy effort running in the rain but I think this is where my weaknesses as a "runner" lie. I want to do too much and can't get enough. This is when healthy addiction crosses over to potentially unhealthy obsession and I need to be more careful not overdo things. How times have changed... My kicks used to be cigarettes, alcohol and other substances. Now they come from running:). How bad you might ask! But still too much of a good thing and all that....
    However, the night is young... but I won't go out again! Promise!:cool:
    I want to be really on top of my game for Thursday's session so that's motivation enough not to run again today. I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Those are nice paces on the 8min sections!

Warm/mild rain, sure, *cold* rain, yeuch :mad: .... but I'm psyching myself up and since I'm posting this I guess I have to do it now!

Those are nice paces on the 8min sections!

Warm/mild rain, sure, *cold* rain, yeuch :mad: .... but I'm psyching myself up and since I'm posting this I guess I have to do it now!

thanks!

good luck with getting out there! you won't regret it:)

Wednesday 17 December
    Absolutely fukkin wrecked. Woke at 3am and tossed and turned until 8am when I had to get up. Just one of those really bad nights I have so regularly when there's no particular reason I can't sleep.
    Getting through the day was a struggle to say the least and slobbery auld fellas arriving in my office lunging at me for Christmas kisses were not greeted with my usual seasonal joviality:rolleyes:. Save it for your lucky wives! I kept my door firmly closed for the rest of the day:)

Took a rest day from running as really didn't think it'd benefit me in any way, physically or mentally. First one in 18 days so I shouldn't be feeling so guilty!

Thursday 18 December
    AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    3x (6x40sec @ mile effort off jog back recovery) 4 mins between sets & 4 mins @ 2 mile race effort
    Fairly windy out there this morning but am told to do reps with the wind in my favour where possible as the idea is to get used to running 'fast and relaxed' and it's impossible to remain relaxed and keep good running form when running into a stiff breeze so I did that where possible.

Set 1: 6:49, 6:35, 6:56, 6:56, 6:47, 6:56
    Set 2: 6:59, 7:03, 6:59, 7:05, 6:56, 7:03
    Set 3: 6:49, 7:06, 6:59, 6:33, 6:40, 6:57
    Then 4 mins at 7:13pace (about 30 seconds of this was into the wind but it wasn't too bad and I really focused on relaxing throughout the rep)

I felt very fresh on the warm up and for the first set. The day off did me good I think. I felt I might be coming down with something yesterday (slightly swollen glands) but when I woke this morning I felt a million dollars and my legs were raring to take off. The cr4ppy feeling yesterday was obviously due to tiredness and nothing more.

The second set felt a little bit more like work but all very manageable. Felt really good on the third set and had to be mindful of not going too hard.
    The 4 mins at 2 mile race effort was tough enough but sustainable. It was a bit slower than last week's 3 min effort (efforts at end of the strides section of the workout extend by one minute each week) but I did feel I was very unfairly assisted by a very strong wind behind me during this secion last week so today's effort I feel is a more honest reflection of where I'm at for 2 mile race effort.
    9.5 miles total
    Post session workout consisted of scrubbing floors, cleaning toilets, cleaning fridge, putting away washing, and finishing a little bit of artwork so I think I'll skip doing the myrtle routine!
    Next few days will be touch and go on the running front as the first of three sets of visitors are arriving tonight so there will undoubtedly be alcohol on the agenda and late nights but I'm damned if I'll be missing my long run on the weekend! My house, my rules. They can come with me if they want!
    Luckily tonight's guest, my brother arriving from NZ wants to go for a run tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice session.
    Just as a matter of interest, how do you know what your 1 & 2 mile race paces are? I can't remember you running any races of that distance (could be wrong). Do you base it off McMillan/Vdot or is it totally based on perceived effort?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nice session.
    Just as a matter of interest, how do you know what your 1 & 2 mile race paces are? I can't remember you running any races of that distance (could be wrong). Do you base it off McMillan/Vdot or is it totally based on perceived effort?
    Hey thanks. It's my favourite session of the week!
    All my runs are run to perceived effort. No clock watching allowed.
    I did a one mile time trial during the summer however and it was just under 7 mins but I do feel I've improved a lot since then.

Friday 17 December
    AIS and Lunge Matrix pre run
    6 miles (not as easy as it should have been!)
    I haven't run with another human being for about 8/9 months I'd say so this was a novelty!
    This was with my brother who's idea of easy would be 8 min/mile or less so I bartered with him to about 9. Still much too fast for me especially when I was expected to chat too!
    Nice to run with someone for a change though!
    6 miles @ 9 avg pace

Saturday 18 December
    No warm up exercises.
    Again with my brother along the Barrow trail starting at Goresbridge. I managed to slow him down another little bit today and the trial automatically slowed him down another bit:) Fab run along the river bank heading northwards. Most enjoyable. Conditions perfect and beautiful scenery. The trail is really easy to run on with only a few mucky bits but all in all it's very well maintained and pleasant to run on.
    Will be adding this run to my repertoire most certainly when down this direction over the holidays.
    6.5 miles @ 9:31avg pace

Sunday 19 December
    10 miles with 60 mins at HEAE
    AIS, LM pre run
    Back running solo again! I realised recently that the word 'solo' is contained within the name 'Ososlo'. fitting really :)

Oh dear :( what can I say about this one.
    A struggle to say the least. I didn't drink THAT much last night and I wasn't up THAT late and I didn't eat THAT many bad things and I didn't sleep THAT badly but this was much harder than it should have been. Paces a lot slower than last week and I wasn't enjoying it that much which is unusual for me. I had to do it straight after my drive up from Kilkenny and I was very thirsty from the start so I knew it wasn't going to be one of my finer moment. It was quite windy also and I really struggled in parts but held back the effort into the wind to ensure I maintained some kind of decent running form and tried my best to stay relaxed.
    Paces for the 60 mins are a bit embarrassing as they're so slow, but that's all I could manage today. Effort level was correct I think as I could have continued for another hour but I mightn't have been very happy to do so:)
    8:47, 8:59, 8:56, 8:46, 8:57, 8:41, 8:55
    10 miles @ 9:12 avg pace

50 miles weekly total
    Missed a few doubles and took Wednesday off completely so mileage a bit low but what you gonna do!

Next week will be fine until about Thursday but I might have to go 'off plan' for a few days and just fit in a few runs when I can but with my sister's wedding after xmas it might mean I'll take 2 or 3 days off completely:eek: Stranger things have happened:D
    I hate being out of my routine. I really am a creature of habit. I hate when I can't sleep in my own bed and eat my usual food and do my own thang every day so roll on 2015 when life is back to normal!

• Advertisement

Haha "only 50 miles"??!! Love it :D:D
    There are going to be days when 'the love' is not there for whatever combination of reasons, luckily you don't have too many of them!

Haha "only 50 miles"??!! Love it :D:D
    There are going to be days when 'the love' is not there for whatever combination of reasons, luckily you don't have too many of them!

lol:) 'only 50 miles' and skipping days (one!) and not doing my doubles (two!) is seen as slacking in some circles :)
    And I may have penance to pay tomorrow!

lol:) 'only 50 miles' and skipping days (one!) and not doing my doubles (two!) is seen as slacking in some circles :)
    And I may have penance to pay tomorrow!

I'm not sure of this guilty by association thing. I'm afraid to post my training ;-)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I'm not sure of this guilty by association thing. I'm afraid to post my training ;-)

I thought you'd be used to the 'guilty by association' label by now P ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

I thought you'd be used to the 'guilty by association' label by now P ;)

Cough, cough....:pac:

Monday 22 December
    am: 40 min recovery

AIS pre run
    Woke with alcohol and sleeping tablet hangover. I never hardly take them anymore but was given one recently for emergencies and in my drunken state at 2am I stupidly popped it as I knew I wouldn't sleep and didn't fancy another night of tossing and turning while the rest of the world is asleep. I did sleep but I felt very groggy and a little sick when I awoke but the little run really helped clear the head. This was a really proper recovery run.
    AIS & Myrtl routine post run
    4 miles @ 10 avg pace

pm: 5 miles easy
    AIS pre run
    Felt a lot better later in the day. Very windy but still a pleasant little run. Would have liked to go a bit longer/further but we have serious work to do tomorrow!
    AIS post run (had lots of time to myself today so no harm to do a little bit extra stretching!)
    5 + miles @ 9:39 avg pace

9+ daily total

• Advertisement

Tuesday 23 December
    Today was to be my strides session but alas it was not to be. Headed out to do my warm up after a dreadful night in bed (not alcohol related) and felt pretty awful on the warm up. Stomach just a bit off. Not sure what to put it down to. Did the first 40 second stride and felt crap. Second one wasn't much better so pulled the plug and just jogged home. Pointless to push things when not feeling great.
    35 mins easy AIS pre run
    Didn't feel up to tackling the run again in the evening and didn't even feel like doing another easy jog which is very unlike me! Did some last minute Christmas shopping which put a nail in the coffin of my energy levels.

Wednesday 24 December
    6 miles w/6x45 sec strides
    So that's 2 nights with no sleep now. Good news is that stomach is better today and energy levels are up! Decided just to run easy to be on the safe side and need to ensure I'm not sick for my sister's wedding in a few days so gonna play it safe. Might do a session with my brother in the next few days if feeling 100%.
    The strides felt great and I chased a fast guy who had whizzed past me earlier and tried to catch him on last stride. Didn't catch him but it turned out to be the fastest I've ever run at 6:10 pace. It was only for 45 seconds but hey, for Ososlo that's something to celebrate!:D
    6 miles @ 9:32 avg pace

Santa is just like every other man.
    Comes and goes in less than 5 minutes
    Eats your food, calls you a Ho
    Leaves before you get up
    .:p

Merry Christmas AR Boardsie Friends!

Right... hic... I'm back with a bang whimper...hic....

The boss is wondering where I am and what I'm up to so I better get logging before he thinks I've packed in the running altogether!
    Firstly...
    Happy Anniversary to my log. A year today I started this running diary. We've been through some tough times, me and my log but mainly it's been all good and positive and I don't regret starting one. On a few occasions I considered pulling the plug on it during some 'episodes';) that occurred on my log since J took over my training which actually stressed me out more than I let on but I'm glad I stuck with it now. I love reading back on my running endeavours and to see the progress in narrative form along with the progress in numbers form from the Garmin. Here's to another year of logging in 2015!

Catch up time:
    I've been a little bit sick but nothing major but with a family wedding and Christmas, it wasn't a bad time to step back a bit as I'm pretty bad at taking time off running under normal circumstances. I didn't have much of an internet connect either in the past week so had a little Boards break too! I haven't been AISsssssing or any kind of stretching or lunging and Myrtl won't know me when she sees me next:D! Diet has been terrible and hydration of the non-alcoholic version has been poor. Everything's gone to pot temporarily!

Thursday 25 December
    35 mins easy

Local roads in Kilkenny. Hungover and a little bit sick with swollen tonsils and a cold but pleasant enough when I got into it.
    9:48 avg pace

Friday 26 December
    Stoneyford 5k

Had to drive my brother to do it anyways so agreed to do it too as I thought it'd replace any kind of session before the wedding.
    Like most of the rest of the county I was feeling 100% shight and still a little sick that morning. I almost cried when I looked out the window and saw the wind and the rain and really regretted agreeing to do this but said I'd suck it up and it would be the best opportunity I'd get that day to get any kind of run in.
    We got lost on the way to the race so no time for a decent warm up. Very wet and windy from the start and my runners were soaked before the gun went off.
    I didn't know the course beforehand, but if I had known the elevation gain I would definitely not have run it as a session, let alone a race! The first 1.6 miles were up a fairly steep hill and the rest of the race was mostly downhill so it really was a race of 2 halves. I haven't run any kind of hills in months. Nightmare. Reiterated to myself again at the start that this was just a training run so no point in stressing. Just try to enjoy it.
    Highlight of the race was the starting gun. This auld farmer dude - the real deal with bailin' twine tied around his waist and looked like he'd be dragged head first straight from the mucky depths of the nearest bog was holding this massive big shotgun pointed into the air to start the race for us. He could have even had a dead pheasant or peasant:D slung over his shoulder but I think I was still a bit drunk so might have imagined that bit. It was a very funny sight and I certainly started the race with a big smile but it wasn't to last very long when I saw the mountain of a hill ahead of me. Amazingly, even though I was struggling to do 8:30 pace going up the first hill, I was passing people the whole way. I picked them off one by one and no one passed me until the very end of the race when a whipper snapper who looked about 6 sprinted past me and made me feel like a slow old fool:o
    I came in at 24:53 so only 5 seconds slower than my pb and as this was a very tough course and I wasn't really racing as such I was happy enough with that result. I also ran my fastest mile ever in a race at 7:11 pace (mile 3 which was net downhill :) nice! )
    I did the last .11 at 6:47 pace on the flat. A fairly good workout in the end.
    Gowran AC were talent spotting desperately looking for female members to join so tried to recruit me after the race. Seem like a nice bunch but a bit far for me.
    A very short cool down back to the car and then went back on the bottle for the day.
    Hot port, followed by Baileys, followed by Sherry, followed by sparkling wine, followed by white wine, followed by oodles and oodles of more sparkling wine.

Saturday 27 December
    5 miles easy

Was feeling a little worse for wear that morning (combo of sickness and hangover) but wanted to get a little run in before the mayhem of the wedding. Legs felt perfect from previous day despite the hills in the race but I guess I hadn't run them hard so no ill-effects.
    Freezing cold in Kilkenny on the Ring Road with not a sinner out. My throat felt really bad after this and thought I might have made my self really ill but wasn't too bad the following day but did develop bit of a cough that is still lingering today.
    9:25 avg pace

Sunday 28, Monday 29, Tuesday 30
    No running

Could have, and wanted to run on the 28th but the roads were lethal around my parents' place so I decided not to chance it. I'll run in any kind of gale force winds or torrential rain but I just can't run on icy roads. I can barely maintain balance whilst walking so running is out of the question for me. It's just not worth it to risk falling and injuring myself.

Eating drinking and general wedding merriment on the 29th and 30th. Still a tiny bit sick with a cough and a bit of a cold but not developing into anything worse. Drank a ridiculous amount over 2 days. My capacity for alcohol amazes even myself at times. I don't think I ever want to see a glass of prosseco or cava again in my life...

Wednesday 31 December
    35 mins easy

Back in Dublin. Attempted a few strides. Not gonna happen. I felt horrible when I increased the effort so it was pointless forcing it.

December total: 195 miles (highest ever monthly total)

Yearly total: 1819
    highest yearly mileage yet despite only training up to 10k distance.

to be continued.... later.. after a nap! Oh and, Happy New Running Year!

Fantastic way (for me!) to start the year! Your log always makes me smile (smiling WITH you, not AT you). And apart from that some impressive bloody mileage there, not to mention the stamina required for copious drinking and running. Kudos. Here's to 2015, PBs and tequila (wasn't going to suggest Prosecco or cava :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Never smile AT anyone.
    They might mistake you for a bousy.....

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Never smile AT anyone.
    They might mistake you for a bousy.....
    No mistake when it comes to some people ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I don't think I ever want to see a glass of prosseco or cava again in my life...

I hear ya! And I never thought I would say that. I'm going to abstain/become a pioneer for January (although if the Raheny 5 goes well I may have to reconnect with the bubbly a week early ;))

Congratulations on your awesome mileage and really enjoyable log. Looking forward to following your progress in 2015.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I hear ya! And I never thought I would say that. I'm going to abstain/become a pioneer for January (although if the Raheny 5 goes well I may have to reconnect with the bubbly a week early ;))

Me too! I can't start the abstinence until next week though:o
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Congratulations on your awesome mileage and really enjoyable log. Looking forward to following your progress in 2015.

Thanks so much! I have a good feeling about 2015!

Fantastic way (for me!) to start the year! Your log always makes me smile (smiling WITH you, not AT you). And apart from that some impressive bloody mileage there, not to mention the stamina required for copious drinking and running. Kudos. Here's to 2015, PBs and tequila (wasn't going to suggest Prosecco or cava :D )

Cheers Dubgal. Yeah the old running and drinking does require a lot of stamina alright! Great to get out the other end in one piece!
    I think tequila is the only drink I didn't have over the last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Great race report, sounds like there's lots of fun racing&drinking in Kilkenny! Sure the prosecco is all carb-loading anyway.

Congrats on the few days off :)

Back to business...

Thursday 1 January
    3 x (6x40 sec strides @ 1 mile effort off jog back recoveries) 4 mins jog between sets and then 4mins @ 2 mile race effort.

Feeling a lot better today but still a bit of a cough. Didn't overdo things too much last night so decided to give the session a go but revert to an easy run if not feeling it as I still have a bit of a cough and sore throat but not feeling too bad really.

Set 1: 6.53, 6.59, 6.37, 6.43, 6.55, 7.14
    Set 2: 6.50, 6.48, 6.18, 6.46, 6.33, 6.54
    Set 3: 7.09, 7.02, 7.06, 7.13, 6.54, 7.04 (had to do the third set on a different path as the one I was using for previous reps on got too busy with kids on bikes and trikes so I lost momentum. The wind was hitting a bit from the side so was been thrown about a bit, hence the slightly slower pace. Maybe the tiredness and lack of running recently was starting to kick in too at this point. Not sure... but effort was the same.
    4 mins jog recovery after the 3 sets and then 4 mins @ 7.18

I wasn't feeling too bad for this session and it all felt ok until I had to change paths. To be honest, the wind was so severe than the jog back recoveries were almost harder than the strides themselves!
    Happy enough with the session all things considered. It's going to take a few more days for me to feel totally back to normal so that effort will do for today.
    9 miles total

The party is ALMOST over. I still have family around that I won't see for at least another year so my New Year healthy living won't start in ernest for another few days as sometimes one has just got to go with the flow and prioritise the things in life that are ever so slightly more important than running! I know no one is holding a gun to my head to drink alcohol while hanging out in pubs and clubs but I don't think I could enjoy myself much at all without it and I wouldn't be much fun. How Irish...:rolleyes: eh?
    I'll be giving up alcohol completely for the rest of January once the visitors have gone back next week :)

2015 Highlights
    • Getting a super new coach :) (aka The Elephant In The Room/aka TEITR :)) I've gained a lot of confidence in the past months. I love love LOVE my training and as I've said before, I'm never bored and I'm always challenged and I've learned so much from him.
    • Having an almost injury and niggle free 2014 since I got my new coach. Thanks to TEITR and his immense knowledge in the areas of stretching and strengthening, I've remained injury and niggle free since February when I was introduced to AIS which I've done on a daily basis since March. I am just SO thankful and grateful that I've been injury free for so long. That means so much to me :) My heart goes out to my friends on Boards who've been plagued with running injuries during 2014. May the running gods cast a spell of complete injury free running on you all for 2015.
    • My 4 x 1 mile session in the summer where I ran 4 x 1 mile off 90 seconds in sub 7:50 avg pace. Hardest thing I've ever done physically. It didn't translate into an equivalent 5k race time a few weeks afterwards, but I'm still very proud of that training session. I'll never forget the pain!
    • Dipping under 7 min for a mile time trial. Awesome. Never thought I could do it. Now I know it's only the beginning of what I'm capable of.
    • My monthly average pace going from 10:51min/mile at the start of the year to 9:31min/mile for December while remaining injury and illness free. I've never felt better and have been able to run 3 x sessions weekly since September with no negative effects. I'm getting much quicker overall so it's all going in the right direction.
    • And of course, mentoring the Novices this year for DCM. If someone had told me 3 years ago when I was smoking heavily and drinking way too much and hadn't ever run in my life before or done any exercise since I was in primary school, that I would be helping people prepare for a marathon in 3 years' time, I would have thought that the most ridiculous thing I ever heard in my life and laughed in their face whilst blowing smoke rings :)
      What an experience the whole thing was! And how super to meet so many after the marathon - novices and other Boardsies alike both new faces and ones I met previously.

Goals for 2015
    • Run a low 22.xx 5k by the end of the year
    • Run a 1:4x half marathon in the Autumn (****main goal for 2015****)
    • Improve my mile time
    • Run a sub 3 min 800m
    • Remain injury free
    • Race a lot more (I will try to include a race a month, or at least a Parkrun as part of a tempo session each month)
    • Maintain mileage around 60 mpw all year round
    • Try to Drink less
    • Be less Garmin dependent. I'm really good now at ignoring it and just hitting lap on sessions and not looking at the screen at all but I ideally I'd like to be able to do the odd run and race without it at all. I wanna be like Dubgal and be a completely 'feely runner':)

I'm very excited to see what 2015 will bring.

Happy New Year A and thanks for the update. Mightn't make mine seem as bad ;-)

I suppose I should get back into the sessions as well, although I did the Goal mile today.

Good luck with all your goals.

Happy New Year A and thanks for the update. Mightn't make mine seem as bad ;-)
    ha ha:D There's always someone worse:D
    I suppose I should get back into the sessions as well, although I did the Goal mile today.

Good luck with all your goals.

Hope the Goal Mile went well for you! and thanks! Happy NY:)

Aha but we are going to have to meet somewhere in the middle...wait till it gets to track/interval session season, you'll wish I'd never bought a stopwatch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Enjoyed reading your log during the year. Best of luck with your 2015 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great highlights & goals.
    The improvement in your running in '14 has been immense - I'm sure you'll hit all your goals in '15.

• Advertisement

Friday 2nd January
    am: 4.4 miles easy

AIS pre run
    Legs started feeling a bit achy last night. Calves and quads especially. I guess it was from the session yesterday and maybe it was too much too soon after the 3 days of no running and nothing fast since the 26th. Probably should have eased myself back in more gradually and done another day of easy running before tackling the session.
    Felt a lot better this morning but not perfect so a recovery run was just the ticket. Started out at a recovery crawl on trail and grass, moved up to easy effort for 2 miles and did the last mile a tiny bit faster at about marathon effort
    Felt great at the end and legs much improved :)

pm: 5.10 miles easy
    AIS pre run. Skipped the other exercises and just ran this very easy. Lovely night, feelin' good! Legs recuperated fully!
    9:46 avg pace

9.5 total

I'll do the long run tomorrow if feeling good. Otherwise it'll have to wait until Monday as I have a tiny bit more partying to do on Saturday night so Sunday won't really be a goer:o

outforarun wrote: »
    Enjoyed reading your log during the year. Best of luck with your 2015 goals.
    Cheers ofar and right back at ya on both accounts!
    Great highlights & goals.
    The improvement in your running in '14 has been immense - I'm sure you'll hit all your goals in '15.
    Thanks A. I feel confident I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

O,

You seem to be running the gauntlet of drink sessions lately from tempo to endurance :)

TbL

O,

You seem to be running the gauntlet of drink sessions lately from tempo to endurance :)

TbL

ha ha I don't think it's too unusual at this time of the year! It is starting to feel like a chore at this point though! I can't keep it up for too much longer!

I'll be back to my sensible self in no time:)

Not too sensible we hope :D

Saturday 3 January
    6 miles easy

AIS pre run
    Plan was long run with 60 mins at heae however, I felt kinda shight and my cough was worse so kept it easy and cut it short.
    9:45 avg pace

Sunday 4 January
    Yet another hangover. So sick of it:rolleyes:. That's it now for the moment. Very busy day so no time to run anyway, however the day off did me no harm at all as cough and sore throat much improved the following day.

Monday 5 January
    am: 5 miles easy w/3 min pickup

Very early start from Kilkenny dropping family to airport on very little sleep. Feeling extremely tired but enjoyed the run. Perfect running weather.
    9:21 avg pace

pm: 5 miles easy w/6x25 sec strides
    Slept a bit mid-day but felt worse and exhausted when I woke up. Naps just don't seem to benefit me at all...
    I had a nice easy day with nothing to do and nowhere to be for a change so it was lovely to get out again for a few easy miles.
    9:44 avg pace
    10 miles daily total

Tuesday 6 January

AIS pre run
    Set out to do my LT session but I just didn't feel right. Breathing terrible and just felt weak and exhausted even though I had slept really well for a change. Cut it short. Saw who I think was Mary Cullen doing a session on the track in Morton. Stopped to watch her gliding along with this superb effortless running form. She had a coach there and think she was doing 800s. Interesting to watch. Plodded back home:(
    35 mins @ 10:07 avg pace

pm: went out with the intention of just doing another easy short run but I started feeling ok after a few miles so decided to tackle the session.
    LT session 4
    - 5 mins (just under LT effort)
    - 22 mins at LT (1 hour race effort)
    - 3 mins working from 10k to 3k effort

No clock watching. Just had time on the screen and hit 'lap' for each section.

5 mins: (7:44 pace) Not sure why this is so 'fast'. Maybe there's something wrong with my watch. Really doesn't make sense in relation to the rest of the session that followed. The effort felt correct.
    22 mins: 8:25, 8:01, 8:27 pace (surprised this is so slow, except for the middle mile) felt I was going much faster. Weird...Effort felt right at the time. Wasn't hammering it but was working hard. Maybe I am just a little under the weather still as the effort did feel correct but it's very slow. But the middle mile is much faster but didn't feel it at the time:confused:
    Then
    1 min @ 8:05 (10k effort)
    1 min @ 7:51 (5k effort)
    1 min @ 7:31 (3k effort)
    Just upped the effort a notch for the last 3 mins. Finished feeling strong.

I think I need to keep an eye on the watch for the next few runs as it may be acting up.
    Happy with the effort I put in regardless of the stats above. It's a while since I've done a session and I haven't been feeling 100% lately between slight sickness and hangovers so only feel I'm getting back into the swing of thing properly now.
    8.2 miles total @ 8:58 avg pace
    11.68 daily total

There shouldn't be any more disruptions to training so I hope to do my strides session Thursday and long run Saturday so should be back on track properly now.

Wednesday 7 January
    4.5 miles easy

Feeling pretty crap all day with stomach pains...
    Was going to take a rest day completely and probably should have but once again my addiction took over. Lots of splishing and splashing around the roads of Santry. Kept it all at recovery effort. Watch playing up and paces skewed so no point in recording them.

Thursday 8 January
    3 x 6 x 40 sec @ 1mile effort off jog back recovery & 5 mins @ 2mile effort

AIS, LM pre run
    Feeling yukky all day with stomach cramps and on was on fairly heavy painkillers last night and today. Was falling asleep in work this afternoon and did actually nod off for a few mins in the office:o Should have just gone to bed when I got home but me being me decided to do the session as was feeling ok(ish) at the time:rolleyes:. It went fairly well but I was feeling a bit lightheaded at times. I won't record the paces as they're all over the shop as there is definitely something wrong with the watch. It's spouting out ridiculous paces that are crazily fast or stupidly slow. Nothing really different from last few strides sessions I've done to note. I put in a good effort for the 5 minute section at the end and stayed relaxed and focused on good running form. However, when I stopped after the 5 min effort I felt absolutely dreadful and like fainting. My head was spinning and I had to hunch down as I was gonna fall over. I rested completely for a few minutes but I got really cold and was shivering so had to attempt some kind of very slow jog/slog back up the hill home for the 2.5 mile cool down. I almost collapsed again outside Morton Stadium just before home.
    Feel grand now after my Kinetica recovery drink.
    Note to self: don't do a session on strong painkillers again!
    I shall be back to normality tomorrow:)
    10.5 miles total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah now, what were you thinking running a session feeling like that? Do you not follow your own advice? :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah now, what were you thinking running a session feeling like that? Do you not follow your own advice? :)

Too true D too true... defo better at giving it than taking it. Advice that is :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wednesday 7 January
    4.5 miles easy

Feeling pretty crap all day with stomach pains...
    Was going to take a rest day completely and probably should have but once again my addiction took over.

I almost collapsed again outside Morton Stadium just before home.
    Feel grand now after my Kinetica recovery drink.
    Note to self: don't do a session on strong painkillers again!

On the one hand I admire your dedication, on the other hand however :eek:..!!!! hope you've recovered and are feeling better :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement