Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Mark Jackson on NBA Countdown laughing at Jalen Rose citing "win shares" as a stat which can be used to determine how good a player is. Does this guy want to get another NBA job? SMH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Guffy

What games are on btsports tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Duncan with a dunk early, mind boggling he was playing college hoops in 1993. Spurs off to a good start.

Really good game between Spurs and Blazers right now for those still up. I'm sitting here embracing my inner nerd, with my Spurs swingman Duncan jersey, watching Timmy tear it up in his 38th year. Life is good.

Textbook execution there from Spurs to end the quarter with a 3. I love watching the Spurs

• Advertisement

This game is amazing.Lillard ties it up with 1.4 left in 4th off the timeout. Pretty sure he travelled on the way to the basket. Spurs with the chance to win it here, otherwise we're going to OT.

Big block from Lillard, were going to over time!

Crazy stat, in the 11 games the Spurs have played in December, 4 have gone to over time. 2nd overtime in a row, after triple OT against the Grizzlies last time out.

Wow, double overtime, Lillard with a massive three to send it to overtime again. Back to back double overtime has to be wearing on Manu and Timmy. Duncan has a season high 30 points, also first Spur to crack 30 points this season, At this rate he might score his age.

Duncan with back to back blocks, his defense has been next level tonight.

• Advertisement

Tripple overtime. Unbelievable scenes. I think the Spurs had another tripple OT this season, oh wait it was Wednesday night! I posted earlier that this has the makings of a great game!

Spurs really unlucky to lose this. In first OT Danny Green had a three taken away retrospectively after it was determined he didn't get the shot off before the shot clock expired. That call was unbelievably close. Then Timmy had a 2 ruled out after it was also initially given, in the 2nd OT.
    Spurs just ran out of juice, which is totally understandable. Damian Lillard went bonkers in the 3rd overtime notching a career high, he is a special, special player. Wait until you guys see the shots he made in the 3rd OT!

I'm guessing Rondo's debut for the Mavs against the Spurs will see Pop handing Timmy and Manu "DNP's Old." He would happily send the Austin Spurs to Dallas tomorrow if he could with Real Spurs after playing 6 Overtime periods in one week.

Just a thought - Duncan is the most underapreciated superstar of all time. I'm not questioning Kobe's greatness, but when its all said and done and both players are finished I'm putting Duncan ahead of Bryant in the pantheon of greatest NBA players.

Night peeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I wasn't doing the reverse-jinx predicting a Grizzlies win, genuinely thought they'd win, but they came out flat (I think a hangover from their triple-overtime win the other night). The Bulls played tight, and made things difficult for them defensively.

Butler, on the back of a career high 35 the night before, followed it up with another 31 points. It's remarkable how much he's elevated his game this season, that he can now carry the team offensively when required. Even I'd have said he had limitations offensively last year, because his 3-point shooting wasn't great. It's still not great, but what he's done is work on his mid-range game, attacks the rim more, and really become excellent in those two areas. So it's kind of the player and the team figuring out what he does well, and exploiting that.

Mirotic was the other one who carried the offense, 27 points in 30 mins, 6-6 from downtown!

That's your power-forward off the bench :)

For the Grizzlies, while it was an off night for them, I think their roster is lacking 3-point shooting. The Bulls led by about 10 for most of the game, and you're expecting a 3-point barrage at some stage that most of the top teams have. But it never came, and you wonder where the 3-point shooting is coming from, even last year they had Mike Miler, but he's gone now. They'll still be a good playoff team, but to reach a championship in today's NBA, you need 3-point shooting. So they may need to make a move to address that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

buyer95 wrote: »
    Spurs just ran out of juice, which is totally understandable. Damian Lillard went bonkers in the 3rd overtime notching a career high, he is a special, special player. Wait until you guys see the shots he made in the 3rd OT!

He really is a special player, he seems to thrive in pressure situations. He never ran out of steam either the spurs just had nothing left in the tank by the end.

Good first half from my Knicks vs Phoenix, defense has looked solid, and the team is playing hard and with energy on both ends. The bench came in and changed the course of the game, with Jason Smith particularly strong. Team really needs a win, hopefully they'll pull it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Oh oh, poor knicks ^^^^^^:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Good first half from my Knicks vs Phoenix, defense has looked solid, and the team is playing hard and with energy on both ends. The bench came in and changed the course of the game, with Jason Smith particularly strong. Team really needs a win, hopefully they'll pull it out.

Last night was the first Knicks game i've watched this year. Would I be right in saying that the team isn't terribly different to previous years? Fisher just seems like an awful coach. Knicks needed 3's near the end of the game last night, cue the Knicks dribbling around inside the 3 point line not even looking for an outside shooter, not prepared for the scenario at all.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Oh oh, poor knicks ^^^^^^:D

Cheers mate. On this thread we try not to lower the tone of discussion to the petty "Knicks are ****e haha" kind of crap a scouser might post in a United thread. I've no problem discussing any team or player, but hate that kind of crap. Remind me of another poster..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cheers mate. On this thread we try not to lower the tone of discussion to the petty "Knicks are ****e haha" kind of crap a scouser might post in a United thread. I've no problem discussing any team or player, but hate that kind of crap. Remind me of another poster..

Ah, that's a bit harsh. Shamrock is a good poster and I don't think he meant it that way and was just messing. In all honesty I was going to post something like "oh dear" as a joke but saw that he had got there before me. :pac:

Paully D wrote: »
    Ah, that's a bit harsh. Shamrock is a good poster and I don't think he meant it that way and was just messing. In all honesty I was going to post something like "oh dear" as a joke but saw that he had got there before me. :pac:

Watching the team you support lose consistently for 2 years is not fun, I'm pissed so take that with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

smart starting for the celtics tonight vs the heat worth a peek for anyone thats not seen him play hes not going to wow in the stat line necessarily but he already plays really really great defense himself and bradley are going to be a lot of fun for anyone who enjoys watching defence

Lol the Pistons just waived Josh Smith, love that move. Other teams would have tried to trade that contract, Stan Van was clearly done trying with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lol the Pistons just waived Josh Smith, love that move. Other teams would have tried to trade that contract, Stan Van was clearly done trying with him!

The only other option would be to have had him shot. At least they can let Monroe and Drummond develop without having to put up with Smith bricking ill-thought out three point attempts all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What a mess SVG has taken over there. Possibly the 2 biggest left handed gunners in the league playing on the same team was always doomed to failure, but I never saw him getting waived. Ballsy move.

The irony of all of this is that Smith won't give a toss. He'll now get the remaining $26m left on his contract and someone will pick him up, prob netting him another $20+ million for the next 2 years. He lasted 105 games in Detroit during which time he got paid $29m + the $26m he's now due. That's over $0.5m per game!!!!!! Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I don't have a link right now but I read that they had tried daily to trade him to the 29 other teams and they all said no.

I don't have a link right now but I read that they had tried daily to trade him to the 29 other teams and they all said no.

Yeah but someone will pick him up when they don't have to give up draft picks or a player for him. He's a wasted talent. I really thought SVG would be a good coat for him but he's played pretty much the exact same way as he always does.

Yeah but someone will pick him up when they don't have to give up draft picks or a player for him. He's a wasted talent. I really thought SVG would be a good coat for him but he's played pretty much the exact same way as he always does.

It's a shame really but it's his own fault.

I don't know how they initially thought a team with both Jennings and Smith would be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/547072682693783552

In other news, not too many people willing to take on friend of this forum, and all-round intellectual colossus,Lance Stevenson:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2299851-lance-stephenson-trade-rumors-latest-buzz-speculation-surrounding-hornets-star

tumblr_mhk3uqTM7S1s2654ko1_400.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The irony of it all was that the Pacers offered Lance pretty much the same money he's on now at Charlotte.

It was a terrible move and he underestimated how well run a franchise the Pacers are. Vogel and others had his back whenever he acted like a tool.

He wanted to be the big dog elsewhere and it predictably hasn't worked. Charlotte was always going to be a bad fit for him.

How about that 4th quarter from the Bulls last night? :eek:

Was just reading about possible destinations for Smith on si.com and found this insightful stat on him:

When the Pistons waived him Monday, he was on pace to become the first NBA player to shoot less than 40 percent from the field and 50 percent from the free-throw line while taking at least 12 shots per game.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Funny thing was, when I was watching it, I didn't think it was anything crazy. Bit of a sign of how improved the Bulls offense is this year. 93 points-per-game last year (32nd), 103 points-per-game this year (8th). A lot of it was free throws (43-47), but still pretty impressive.

Bit of an odd game, the Raptors outplayed the Bulls in the first half. Valanciunas was killing us inside (he looked awesome, what is it about European players, they often look better in their fundamentals?). But then for some unknown reason they went away from him in the 2nd half, started shooting jumpers with their guards, which allowed the Bulls back into it.

Mirotic had reduced minutes with Taj back, but still had a nice contribution. One cool moment...outside the 3-point line straight on, pump-fakes, dribbles past his man towards the basket, sees the lane closing up, fires a pass to Hinrich in the corner for a wide-open 3-point attempt, Hinrich misses, Mirotic grabs the offensive rebound and puts it back in :)

padraig_f wrote: »
    Funny thing was, when I was watching it, I didn't think it was anything crazy. Bit of a sign of how improved the Bulls offense is this year. 93 points-per-game last year (32nd), 103 points-per-game this year (8th). A lot of it was free throws (43-47), but still pretty impressive.

Bit of an odd game, the Raptors outplayed the Bulls in the first half. Valanciunas was killing us inside (he looked awesome, what is it about European players, they often look better in their fundamentals?). But then for some unknown reason they went away from him in the 2nd half, started shooting jumpers with their guards, which allowed the Bulls back into it.

Mirotic had reduced minutes with Taj back, but still had a nice contribution. One cool moment...outside the 3-point line straight on, pump-fakes, dribbles past his man towards the basket, sees the lane closing up, fires a pass to Hinrich in the corner for a wide-open 3-point attempt, Hinrich misses, Mirotic grabs the offensive rebound and puts it back in :)

I posted a really long post on this a couple of years back. So here's the short version now.

Correct fundamentals (as opposed to just fundamentals) of the game have long been the hallmark of European players, and not just those who played in the NBA. The basic reason for this? European players tend to be less athletic (relatively) than the almost freakish nature of a lot of American players. The game in Europe is slower and is predominantly played under the rim - as such to succeed in that type of environment your basics and fundamentals have to be in a word, outstanding. American players from a very young age spend a lot of time working on the physical elements of their physique and game. I'm not saying they ignore the fundamentals (they don't); they simply spend less time on them than European players. European coaches emphasise fundamentals and US coaches don't put as much emphasis on them as the superior athletic ability of their players mask a lot of those flaws.

Think of it like this - remember that one kid who could dunk or nearly dunk when you were in school? Bet he spent way too much time trying to perfect that over other things, right?

I saw the US under 17 team play in the flesh a couple of years ago - they spent the whole warm ups dunking. All of them could dunk easily, and all of them had outstanding parts to their games, but none of them were completely rounded like say for example, some of the other countries' players. Now I'm not saying some of the other countries players were better players overall than the US players, but none of them could do everything on the court. So you might have had a PG who could pass and dribble, but not shoot etc. whereas again, a lot of the european players would have a high degree of skill in a lot more facets of the game.

I likened European basketball to chess and US basketball to pinball at the time, maybe that analogy is off but you can still see the point.

And that's the short version! Lol.

I posted a really long post on this a couple of years back. So here's the short version now.

Nice one. Never really watched European basketball, maybe I should check it out. Seem to get a kick out of the European players that come over.

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    Nice one. Never really watched European basketball, maybe I should check it out. Seem to get a kick out of the European players that come over.

It's VERY different. It's much much slower with a huge emphasis on defense. Scoring typically is in the 70s-80s. As I said it's like chess compared to the US game, more strategic etc. Some people like it, some don't.

The one thing I will definitely say though is if you ever get a chance to go to a top club game in Europe, do. You simply will not believe the atmosphere, it's insane.

First Blake Griffin now CJ Miles has dunked on Anthony Davis lol.

7 blocks for Roy Hibbert at the half too.

Clutchest point guard in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭BQQ

How about that 4th quarter from the Heat last night? :eek::mad::eek:
    9 points . . . Against PHILLY!

Hard to believe they've gone so bad. Deng has been very disappointing. Looks like he's not interested. 3/11 for 7 pts with 4 rebounds against the worst team in the nba. And he turned it over 3 times. This guy was an allstar in Chicago! Smh.
    Christmas Day is gonna be ugly. :(

Checked results this morning. Saw Lakers won without Kobe. Was not one bit surprisd to see that there was no one player doing most of the scoring. 7 players in double digits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Never mind Lillard time, It was all Swaggy time last night :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Since there's no games tonight, I'd like to wish ye all here in the basketball forum a very Happy Christmas!:)

Happy Christmas everyone!!

Half time in the first of the 5 Christmas Day games sees the Wizards leading the Knicks 60-44 in NYC. If anyone wants to watch the rest of this game and doesn't have BT Sports, this game is available for free on League Pass

Happy Christmas all. :)

Nice to be able to chill and watch the games today, though I doubt I make it through to catch the Warriors/Clippers unfortunately.

Knicks defense in the paint has been non-existent thus far.

Acy looked like he was going to throw a punch there and backed out halfway through his swing. :pac:

Happy Christmas all. :)

Nice to be able to chill and watch the games today, though I doubt I make it through to catch the Warriors/Clippers unfortunately.

Knicks defense in the paint has been non-existent thus far.

Yeah it's been quite pathetic! Really gotta feel for Melo playing with this Knicks team. Samuel Dalembert took one of the worst shots I've ever seen during the first half, it actually silenced the announcers it was so bad. John Wall has been quite impressive so far, didn't know that he was averaging a double double, quite impressive to do that with assists these days.

Good win for OKC that, especially without KD. Westbrook was excellent after a shaky start.

On to LeBron's return to Miami now. :)

Is it just me that thinks the pandering to LeBron on his return to Miami is a bit pathetic? Sure, it was a great run for a few years, but he signed as a free agent and left 4 years later. It's not as if he was drafted by them or was from the area or had been there for 10+ years etc.

By all means acknowledge him pre-game if it has to be done, but tribute videos as the players are coming back from a timeout is way too far IMO.

Miami were up 10 at that timeout, LeBron looked a bit jittery and the crowd were on his back. Since then the Cavs have closed the gap to 3 and every bit of animosity has been drained from the crowd after the video.

Is it just me that thinks the pandering to LeBron on his return to Miami is a bit pathetic? Sure, it was a great run for a few years, but he signed as a free agent and left 4 years later. It's not as if he was drafted by them or was from the area or had been there for 10+ years etc.

By all means acknowledge him pre-game if it has to be done, but tribute videos as the players are coming back from a timeout is way too far IMO.

Miami were up 10 at that timeout, LeBron looked a bit jittery and the crowd were on his back. Since then the Cavs have closed the gap to 3 and every bit of animosity has been drained from e crowd after the video.

I see where your coming from but I have to disagree. LeBron led them to 2 championships in 4 years, and was loved. It's not like he left for the Bulls or someone, he went back to his his home team after 4 great years. Many great players play for teams for ten years and never win a ring. LeBron had an incredible run in Miami, bringing the Heat unprecedented success. Well deserved

• Advertisement
Advertisement