Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Wick

Options
  • 22-09-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Surprised there isn't a thread on this one yet. Bad guys kill Keanu Reeves' puppy, and he's not going to let sleeping dogs lie:

It's getting some pretty good reviews (example). No UK or Ireland release date yet, but the USA has this on 24 October.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was supposed to post the trailer here a few days but forgot :pac:. I liked the trailer, looks fun with some meaty action to it.

The reviews so far have been praising it, some calling it one of the better American action movies of recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Bigger budget Revenge For Jolly?

Reviews are loving it so far, 100% on RT with 17 reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Really looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this!

Is it getting an Irish release?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Can't edit my post, but here's a link to Revenge For Jolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just another old hitman revenge film?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Is it getting an Irish release?

Guardian review I read earlier mentioned the 2nd January for the UK so around the same here I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

marco_polo wrote: »
    Guardian review I read earlier mentioned the 2nd January for the UK so around the same here I suppose.

Ah ****e, that's ages away :(

Can't edit my post, but here's a link to Revenge For Jolly.

It's only €9.99 or 2 for €15 in Xtravision and HMV. I picked it up last week and watched it this evening. It's a film I've been looking forward to till I first heard about it a few years back and it really did impress. A pitch black comedy that's incredibly infectious and easy to warm to. Been a long time since I've enjoyed a film as much as I did Revenge for Jolly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

just another old hitman revenge film?

Yes and no.

See this if you'd like to see 1999's Payback have a sequel directed by Gareth Evans.
    Yes, it's another hitman revenge film, but it's a thing of balletic, kinetic beauty also.

Might be overselling it there. I liked it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone got an update on the release date here the 2nd January for the UK is all I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

UK is the 10th April. Taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Anyone got an update on the release date here the 2nd January for the UK is all I can find.

April unfortunately. That is according to IMDB but I read it on another site too last week.

Disappointing as I was looking forward to it.

humbert wrote: »
    April unfortunately. That is according to IMDB but I read it on another site too last week.

Disappointing as I was looking forward to it.

That is ripping the p1ss totally, I can understand a month or two gap in releases around the world but 6+ months.

Then film studios wonder why people look for other ways to view there films.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

IMDB has a UK release date of 10 April 2015. That can't be right ... can it?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

April??

I've been dying to see this in the cinema but that's a ridiculous length of time, the Bluray will be out on February 3rd and the digital version will be out on Jan 13th so you know what that means for the film.

I absolutely loved it.

It is a film that knows what is and doesn't try to be anything else.

As another poster said
    it's a thing of balletic, kinetic beauty
    and that is so true.

Just a shame the film comapny wasn't prepared to give it a cinema release in time over here before it was released on Bluray/DVD and VoD in other parts of the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

humbert wrote: »

It seems to be out Stateside on Blu Ray and DVD already. I'll be giving this a look over the weekend, hopefully it lives up to the reviews.

Got this one VOD last night and really loved it, it's one of the finest actions films to come along in years. It's basic in it's set up and all the better for it and the action is staged superbly. There's a simplicity to it all that's hard not to love and Reeves is great and ably supported by a fine cast including one of direct to VHS's most under recognized stars.

• Advertisement

There's a simplicity to it all that's hard not to love and Reeves is great and ably supported by a fine cast including one of direct to VHS's most under recognized stars.

Naming who this under-recognised star is might help :pac:

Duggy747 wrote: »

There is quite a few..

John Leguizamo, Ian McShane, Lance Reddick & Willem Dafoe.

Duggy747 wrote: »

The one and only Daniel Bernhardt, he really does impress in the film. He looks great and his fighting skills are still impressive, could really see him using this as a jumping off point for a much bigger career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Saw it tonight and loved it:cool::cool: , it is what it is. The lad from game of thrones is good in it too. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

duckysauce wrote: »
    Saw it tonight and loved it:cool::cool: , it is what it is. The lad from game of thrones is good in it too. .

Lily Allens brother
    And don't forget Ryan o'reilly from oz lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

It was full of so many brilliant little moments, really enjoyed it I must say.

Fantastic film with a great universe built up around it, this definitely has promise for sequels if they don't screw it up given the wealth of characters and actors in this film.

Been so long since I've seen an 18's American action movie with good set pieces and good memorable primary and secondary characters.

Shaky-cam is nowhere to be seen and instead we get good, long established shots of gun / fist-fight sequences which have that fluid visceral motion to them. One simple dynamic added to the scenes which have a great refreshing effect is him having to reload frequently, it's such a simple idea but the movie is aware of this and uses it effectively.

Definitely Keanu's best film in a long time and he's great in it, delivering lines in a perfectly dry way and performing stunts like he's 20 years old.

Speaking of which I still can't get over that he's 50, the man just doesn't age :pac:

He might not be a terribly good actor depending on the role (he's very good in this though) but he does stunts extremely well and delivers on the action. Plus, he's a highly likeable guy in real life so I like when things work out for him.

A fun, violent, well shot action movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and has an energetic soundtrack that really adds to it. It's a hard film not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

been meaning to watch this the last few evenings, think i will watch tonight after seeing the reviews and reading this thread !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That looks great... I love a good revenge flick and Keanu is a class act...

Advertisement