Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripp trapp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We bought the hauck chair in the last amazon sale so it cost about €45. I absolutely love it. It's so neat compared to the big highchair and it slips neatly against the table (our table has a lip too and it's fine) and most of all the smallie loves it as he isn't restricted in it. Really recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Millem wrote: »
    Can the bottom cushion come off without getting out a screwdriver/Allen key? The girl in Bella baby told me I need to semi dismantle it? I like to get things at the best price and love a bargain but I don't mind spending the money if that makes sense. Has anyone paid less than €255 brand new?

The cushion comes out really easily. The middle part just pops out. I put both my cushions in the washing machine every week and they're still perfect.

I love the Tripp trapp. Most other high chairs are huge and hideous to look at and such a faff. Tripp trapp is honestly one of the best things I bought for the baby and I'll defo get another one for #2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    The cushion comes out really easily. The middle part just pops out. I put both my cushions in the washing machine every week and they're still perfect.

I love the Tripp trapp. Most other high chairs are huge and hideous to look at and such a faff. Tripp trapp is honestly one of the best things I bought for the baby and I'll defo get another one for #2.

I find the cushion is a bit tricky the first time..(don't leave it to the end to put in as the leather strap has to be going through it before the wooden band is in place..Anyhow to take it out
    *There is a hole in the cushions that the little leather front strap goes into, so to get in or out the cushion ...
    *unwind the sides enough to pop out the front bendy wood.
    *Slide the bendy wood out of top leather strap loop
    *Lift out cushion then reassemble

This is one of the reasons we stopped using the cushion.

Just on the previous point of kids getting stuck in it (ours was in 100 percentile for BMI!!!). If it's the old one with the wooden band (as opposed to the new ones with larger frame at the front). like this...

10411.jpg

...then I think a lot of the babies are put in incorrectly as is the baby in the picture!!!(I'm open to debate here!).

In the above picture (as in most) there's too much of the baby's bum(and legs!) on the seat (as in the seat should be slid back a bit more). At the same time their feet shouldn't be resting flat on the lower level. Instead their tippy toes should just be able to touch it. If you look at any of the photos, none of the baby's like having their 'flat foot' resting (as you can see most of the have them raised in the air trying to avoid it). Babies just don't like flat feet on the ground until they are ready to start standing. Also with the flat foot resting, it causes the back to slouch and encourages the baby to push back with their feet on the table or they try to stand up which drives them nuts with the front wooden bar getting in the way.
    Also if the seat is too far forward babies with big thighs easily get stuck.. hence why I think the previous examples the big bonny babies got stuck.

It's kind of counter intuitive but the way I think it should be is this ... (i was told before that we should never sit on our bum AND legs and just have our a55 nearly on the edge of the seat only, as it causes us to lean forward a little and straighten up the back, this comes from finding out too late the correct posture to sit at a piano from an alexander instructor as my back is kaput from years of bad posture)... So.. With baby in it.. loosen the sides A LITTLE...slide back the babies sitting part until it causes them to tip forward a little so they are on the edge of their seat (notice their backs will straighten up and you will have a good bit more room to get them in and out). For the moment, they are kind of pivoting on this centre of balance 'on the edge of their seat' and can topple all over the place quite easily, so to support this, adjust the lower foot level until their toes can just touch this, if their heel can touch it then it's too high. . If they keep tipping over then push forward the sitting part a little.

That's my 2 cent anyway, I'm not an osteopath or anything but I find this worked best for my lot as they tended to slouch a bit if the seat was too far forward. And hey, if you don't want to bother with the tripp trapp then that's fine with me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Armelodie wrote: »
    there is a hole in the cushions that the little leather front strap goes into, so to get in or out the cushion ...
    unwind the sides enough to pop out the front bendy wood.
    Slide the wood out of top leather strap loop then lift up cushion. then slide

The new version doesn't have a leather strap? It is one piece plastic! I actually realised you can get coated fabric cushions but you can't get my fave stripey one in it :( Bella baby have them reduced to €32. The display in Bella baby is non coated and the grime on it would turn your stomach, I can only imagine what it would be like with carrots, yoghurt etc

The new version doesn't have a leather strap? It is one piece plastic! I actually realised you can get coated fabric cushions but you can't get my fave stripey one in it :( Bella baby have them reduced to €32. The display in Bella baby is non coated and the grime on it would turn your stomach, I can only imagine what it would be like with carrots, yoghurt etc

Nope mine doesn't have a leather strap. In fact have never even seen one with a leather strap. And I have the stripy cushions and as far as I know they are not coated and they wash in the machine perfectly. I wash them every week. Could rave about Tripp trapp all day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Cannot speak highly enough of ours either. Stopped using the cushion now he's bigger. Will definitely buy another for number 2 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm very tempted to buy one now I've read the rave reviews. How early can you start using them if you have the baby seat? Are the cushions recommended for smaller babies? I'm debating whether to get the complete set in Jellybean or just buy the seat, baby seat and harness.

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm very tempted to buy one now I've read the rave reviews. How early can you start using them if you have the baby seat? Are the cushions recommended for smaller babies? I'm debating whether to get the complete set in Jellybean or just buy the seat, baby seat and harness.

Ncmc it would cost the same?

I think it would be a bit cheaper to buy separately and not buy the cushion, Bella Baby have the base on sale for €165 so think it would be a bit less than €255 with the baby seat and harness?

I think it would be a bit cheaper to buy separately and not buy the cushion, Bella Baby have the base on sale for €165 so think it would be a bit less than €255 with the baby seat and harness?

Jelly bean have chair for €154.70, baby set is roughly €42.50, harness is €32 so €229.20. Bella baby have a blue cushion for €32 until Sunday. I think you need the cushion as the seat is really really hard. I have decided I am going to get tripp trapp. The way I see it is I dont smoke so the tripp trapp would cost less than a months cigarettes!

• Advertisement

Thanks Millem, for some reason I thought it was cheaper than that without the cushion, it's definitely worth it for the sake of €25 odd euro. Going to go up and book it tomorrow. Think it's on back order in Jellybean

Thanks Millem, for some reason I thought it was cheaper than that without the cushion, it's definitely worth it for the sake of €25 odd euro. Going to go up and book it tomorrow. Think it's on back order in Jellybean

I rang them earlier this week, it is a 2 week wait. Bella baby have some colours in stock otherwise it is a 2-3 week wait.

That's grand. She's only 7 weeks! I'm not going to bother getting the newborn kit, what age can they go into the baby seat part of it?

That's grand. She's only 7 weeks! I'm not going to bother getting the newborn kit, what age can they go into the baby seat part of it?

My big sturdy boy is 6 months and was a bit wobbly so I reckon 6 months. He isn't wobbly in the normal highchairs but I think it must be just design of the Tripp trapp? It has a lower back. My one fear is if he pushes backwards that he will topple it over. You should see him in action when wants to get out of something! Or if he pushes against table but I think those extended gliders are meant to stop that.

Omg I just watched this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJF7vD9nFrA:eek::eek: I would actually die if my baby did this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Omg I just watched this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJF7vD9nFrA:eek::eek: I would actually die if my baby did this

Terrifying but the gliders do stop that. My little maniac loves to push it back from the table but it's never even shown a hint of tipping.

Roesy wrote: »
    Terrifying but the gliders do stop that. My little maniac loves to push it back from the table but it's never even shown a hint of tipping.

Mine either. My little man is forever pushing back off the table and it goes straight back. The gliders are too long to allow tipping back. That Tripp trapp looks kinda old in that vid.

I then googled and saw that some woman was just back from A & E because the child did that. Supposedly the safest place is up against a wall! I am the biggest worrier I don't think I am going to get it now :( I would actually get sick if this happened to me! I totally forgot that the reason we didn't get bumbo is because he flings himself back with serious force if he doesn't want to be confined.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

The chair comes with gliders to prevent that and I have never had that happen with my tripp trapp. We have been using the chair since our son was 5 months. He's 9 months now and gets used at least twice a day (when I'm not in work 5 times a day). I have the straps and cushion but I don't use the cushion anymore as we are babyled weaning and it's pointless. The chair grows with the child and is very compact and sturdy. Love having him sit with us at the table. I did get the table tray too but just to keep the mess from dribbling off the table.

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Mine either. My little man is forever pushing back off the table and it goes straight back. The gliders are too long to allow tipping back. That Tripp trapp looks kinda old in that vid.

Yes that is the older version. But then I read something that "which" tested them and loads could be tipped over :eek::eek: I am trying to find current report.

• Advertisement

It's a lovely chair Millem and I'm delighted we got it. It fits in nicely with our furniture without looking like another piece of huge baby paraphernalia but if you were going to be worrying anytime you used it it probably wouldn't be worth it. I feel the same about our Jumperoo now after baby Houdini managed to jump/climb/throw herself out of it recently while both myself and my husband were in the same room no more than a couple of feet away. She's 8.5 months and a complete live wire but I've never had a moments worry about her in the Tripp Trapp...except one day I was lax with using the harness and she proudly showed me that she could stand up in it! Thankfully we only ever left the harness off while sitting right next to her. Now we use it all the time!

I love our tripp trapp too and so glad we don't have a giant plastic monstrosity in our kitchen but if those reports scare you I wouldn't get it. I have the travel chair from stokke too and it is brilliant and could be a good compromise for you.

It's a lovely chair Millem and I'm delighted we got it. It fits in nicely with our furniture without looking like another piece of huge baby paraphernalia but if you were going to be worrying anytime you used it it probably wouldn't be worth it. I feel the same about our Jumperoo now after baby Houdini managed to jump/climb/throw herself out of it recently while both myself and my husband were in the same room no more than a couple of feet away. She's 8.5 months and a complete live wire but I've never had a moments worry about her in the Tripp Trapp...except one day I was lax with using the harness and she proudly showed me that she could stand up in it! Thankfully we only ever left the harness off while sitting right next to her. Now we use it all the time!

I tell you I have that whole "precious first child syndrome" with him!! I would be terrified to turn my back to get his dinner. Plus one if our dogs is blind so I am worried now she would topple it over. (She is a big lab) She still knocks her water bowls a good 3 times per week!!! Baby loves her and would we reaching to get to her. I will put up with that horrible Highchair for the time being . :(

I love our tripp trapp too and so glad we don't have a giant plastic monstrosity in our kitchen but if those reports scare you I wouldn't get it. I have the travel chair from stokke too and it is brilliant and could be a good compromise for you.

Is it the handysitt? My chairs are roundish would it fit ? 4d48d82f8f48bda2476dfe967e72.jpg

Is it the handysitt? My chairs are roundish would it fit ? 4d48d82f8f48bda2476dfe967e72.jpg

No :-( such a shame. You could look into concord travel high chair as that was the other one we thought of

The other two to consider are the oxo tot sprout or the stokke steps. Both will have good resale value

The other two to consider are the oxo tot sprout or the stokke steps. Both will have good resale value

Yes tony kealy has both :) the oxo won't be back in till sept though. Supposedly it is a very good seller. The steps is the new one? It is more expensive than tripp trapp and better to get if you have a brand new baby as they have a bouncer thing? It lasts till the child is 10. I prefer the legs on it though :)

Was just about to suggest the same two. We were 50:50 between the sprout and the Tripp Trapp in the end.

Was just about to suggest the same two. We were 50:50 between the sprout and the Tripp Trapp in the end.

I will wait to see what is the story with the oxo one. It loves very comfy :)

• Advertisement

I will wait to see what is the story with the oxo one. It loves very comfy :)
    Forget comfy and think cleaning! Does it have places that are hard to reach and clean?

Advertisement