Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you care about getting a tan?

• 30-06-2014 7:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

I've never beem overly concerned about getting a tan. I prefer having a tan than being pasty white, but since a tan just fades away anyway I'm not too bothered about getting one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

A neopoli-tan. Mmm ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

Nah not really it ruins your skin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I like sitting in the sun.. the tan is a happy byproduct of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I actively avoid it. Looking all tanned and 'healthy' doesn't really suit my personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I get one I get one, if I don't it isn't the end of the world. If I can avoid the lobster like state between the two frankly I'm chuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I collect vitamin D so I don't kill myself / anyone else in the winter. The tan is complementary and looks a bit healthier than the pale version of me. I don't go out tanning but I'll certainly whip my t shirt off if its hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

One fine day, my freckles will all join up, yet I will still be pale as the moon. I definitely don't care about a tan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I love a tan, any chance I get to get even 5 minutes in the sun and the top comes off. My day feels so much better if I get a few minutes of sun on the skin #vitaminD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I prefer being pasty white so I care about getting a tan in that way, I don't want one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I actively care about not getting a tan. I don't understand the thinking behind it, as it's basically cooking yourself. I don't understand how it's seen as a healthy look, it's a weird fad. And as a country that has such high incidence of skin cancer i can't understand the stupidity behind the actually wanting to get a tan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

I'm ginger. So for that reason,

I'm out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Sodeepithurts

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I actively care about not getting a tan. I don't understand the thinking behind it, as it's basically cooking yourself. I don't understand how it's seen as a healthy look, it's a weird fad. And as a country that has such high incidence of skin cancer i can't understand the stupidity behind the actually wanting to get a tan.

That's got to be the longest fad of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Muise... wrote: »
    One fine day, my freckles will all join up, yet I will still be pale as the moon. I definitely don't care about a tan. :)

One freckle to rule them all, to bind them into the darkness.

That's got to be the longest fad of all time.

Is it? Dunno how long the being pale thing lasted myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Egass13 wrote: »
    I'm ginger. So for that reason,

I'm out.

Or in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I tan quite easily from just being out in the sun. Not hugely pushed about it but I'm not going to hide in the shade either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Hell no. Blinding people with my milk-bottle-white legs is my favourite part of summer. A tan would ruin that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

No, and I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with getting a tan. Do they not realize the damage their doing to their skin? A tan fades, wrinkles don't so look after your skin folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have very sallow skin, so I get taned very easily, as I now live in sunnier climates the rest is history :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yeah I get a bit obsessed about it when I'm on holidays (finishing up 10 days in Salou on Wednesday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Not pushed about it, If I gets one I gets one

If not - then meh

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

anncoates wrote: »
    I tan quite easily from just being out in the sun. Not hugely pushed about it but I'm not going to hide in the shade either.

I'm very conscious of skin cancer and I'm a fair-skinned. In saying that I always use factor 50 and avoid the 11-3 danger times when your most likely to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm an empty vase without my tan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Does getting a tan cause skin cancer? The last few times I've been to a dermatologist I've been specifically told to get some sun. I think some people here are mixing up those leather skinned people who wear baby oil with those who get a bit brown from lounging for a few hours with factor 20 on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nope, hate folks who proselytize it too. Stupid cultural thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Does getting a tan cause skin cancer? The last few times I've been to a dermatologist I've been specifically told to get some sun. I think some people here are mixing up those leather skinned people who wear baby oil with those who get a bit brown from lounging for a few hours with factor 20 on...

getting a tan isn't actually harmful, (or people in the likes or Portugal/Spain etc, should all be dropping of skin cancer! )

it's burning to tan, that really bad for the skin.

Some people naturally tan slowly, just from being out in the sun. These people will still tan while wearing sun cream, and it's still advised that they do.

What people need to actively avoid, is burning. Some people do not tan, and hence seek out the red, to get the very very temporary peeling tan.
    ________
    I'm lightly tanned naturally, and could probably get a deeper colour if I didn't hate the sun so much >.>
    Personally, I actually like the milky look. (always what you don't have eh? ...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I prefer not having one. I don't like the fact that I'll end up with arms, cleavage and legs all different shades for most of the summer as some places inevitably get more sun than others.

Unfortunately, I tan rather quickly, and I usually spend a few hours outdoors most days as the weather is so nice now, so it's not really avoidable.

That's one thing I look forward to for winter - no tanlines on my boobs.

And you're mixing up getting some sun with getting a tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

No, I do not take the sun that well. I usually lather myself in suncream any times I'm outdoors for over 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Certainly don't try to get a tan, I'm naturally sallow though so I tend to get a tan first rather than getting burnt.

I do actively avoid the sun abroad though or at least be very careful about it.

There's already been a mild scare in the family from a lifetime of 'seeking' a tan which drove home to me how retarded some Irish people can be about the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Born a Brother, Yo ....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I find the obsession with tanned skin to be pointless. If I get a tan so be it but Im not going to actively try to get one and I really dont understand fake tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No thanks. I like being pale and interesting. Though I enjoy the sunshine, I do not look good with a tan and go to great lengths to keep my skin looking pearly. *slaps on the Factor 50000*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Nope, I love being out in the sun but I wear factor 30 if I am. I prefer my legs when they're tanned but I don't go out of my way to get one.

Went on holidays with one friend who obsessed about her tan, the lotions and oils and constant rotating on the lounger, all for the sake of proving she was away in the sun to the people back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I put factor fifty on every day. I've never been any other colour than the milk bottle white colour I am now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

RayM wrote: »
    I actively avoid it. Looking all tanned and 'healthy' doesn't really suit my personality.

You must be a ginger!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm permanently Tan skinned, so... no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I care about getting a tan, I care so much I coat myself in factor 50 before opening the curtains to avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I like being tanned, it makes me look healthier. I like the sprinkling of freckles I get across my nose.

I wear high factor sun screen and get a slight tan. When I was younger I used to come back from holidays brown all over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kaycee2

I used to hire sunbeds before going on holidays, I don't know how I don't look like an old leather handbag at this stage but can't be bothered with a tan now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I slap on the factor whenever I go outside but tan anyway and I do like it. My skin is fairly sallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Nope.

I'm not one for lying in the sun but at the same time I like getting tanned. Makes your skin look much better than pasty white. When I used to work summers in construction wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and boots I used to have a great tan. The tanned look is nice on women too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I care about not getting a tan. Being pale or looking like a well seasoned Spanish leather handbag?? Ill take being pale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I was a goth when I could be arsed spending the time and money. Now I am covered in tattoos that look better than any tan. Plus my grandmother and my father got skin cancer last year. No tan, not now not ever.

On the plus side, I am 32 and I still periodically get ID'ed. **** a tan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Gongoozler wrote: »

It's not though.

Tanning is the result of melanin production in the skin, the entire point of which is to prevent burning and skin cancer. It's a natural sun screen and is the reason that black people don't get sunburned.

There is a problem, of course, that many people think that just sitting their pale arses in the sun until they turn into a lobster is a good way to get a tan. That's a recipe for increased skin cancer risk. If you care about having a tan, you should limit your exposure and build it up gradually, or wear sunscreen that is less than SPF 50 I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I've never beem overly concerned about getting a tan. I prefer having a tan than being pasty white, but since a tan just fades away anyway I'm not too bothered about getting one.

My Grandfather got a tan. Five hours hiding in a ditch near Ballycroy then BANG!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

no, if I get a get a colour that's great, but I am pale and burn easily and get hives in hot weather so a tan is the least of my priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

A good tan can hide that pale, hungover, blotchy skin look I wear in winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement