Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about getting a tan?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Born a Brother, Yo ....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I find the obsession with tanned skin to be pointless. If I get a tan so be it but Im not going to actively try to get one and I really dont understand fake tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No thanks. I like being pale and interesting. Though I enjoy the sunshine, I do not look good with a tan and go to great lengths to keep my skin looking pearly. *slaps on the Factor 50000*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Nope, I love being out in the sun but I wear factor 30 if I am. I prefer my legs when they're tanned but I don't go out of my way to get one.

Went on holidays with one friend who obsessed about her tan, the lotions and oils and constant rotating on the lounger, all for the sake of proving she was away in the sun to the people back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I put factor fifty on every day. I've never been any other colour than the milk bottle white colour I am now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

RayM wrote: »
    I actively avoid it. Looking all tanned and 'healthy' doesn't really suit my personality.

You must be a ginger!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm permanently Tan skinned, so... no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I care about getting a tan, I care so much I coat myself in factor 50 before opening the curtains to avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I like being tanned, it makes me look healthier. I like the sprinkling of freckles I get across my nose.

I wear high factor sun screen and get a slight tan. When I was younger I used to come back from holidays brown all over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kaycee2

I used to hire sunbeds before going on holidays, I don't know how I don't look like an old leather handbag at this stage but can't be bothered with a tan now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I slap on the factor whenever I go outside but tan anyway and I do like it. My skin is fairly sallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Nope.

I'm not one for lying in the sun but at the same time I like getting tanned. Makes your skin look much better than pasty white. When I used to work summers in construction wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and boots I used to have a great tan. The tanned look is nice on women too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I care about not getting a tan. Being pale or looking like a well seasoned Spanish leather handbag?? Ill take being pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I was a goth when I could be arsed spending the time and money. Now I am covered in tattoos that look better than any tan. Plus my grandmother and my father got skin cancer last year. No tan, not now not ever.

On the plus side, I am 32 and I still periodically get ID'ed. **** a tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I actively care about not getting a tan. I don't understand the thinking behind it, as it's basically cooking yourself. I don't understand how it's seen as a healthy look, it's a weird fad. And as a country that has such high incidence of skin cancer i can't understand the stupidity behind the actually wanting to get a tan.

It's not though.

Tanning is the result of melanin production in the skin, the entire point of which is to prevent burning and skin cancer. It's a natural sun screen and is the reason that black people don't get sunburned.

There is a problem, of course, that many people think that just sitting their pale arses in the sun until they turn into a lobster is a good way to get a tan. That's a recipe for increased skin cancer risk. If you care about having a tan, you should limit your exposure and build it up gradually, or wear sunscreen that is less than SPF 50 I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I've never beem overly concerned about getting a tan. I prefer having a tan than being pasty white, but since a tan just fades away anyway I'm not too bothered about getting one.

My Grandfather got a tan. Five hours hiding in a ditch near Ballycroy then BANG!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

no, if I get a get a colour that's great, but I am pale and burn easily and get hives in hot weather so a tan is the least of my priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

A good tan can hide that pale, hungover, blotchy skin look I wear in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

No, as my skin doesn't tan anyway.

I don't get all the negativity. Some people have skin that tans easily, and once they wear a SPF, they're hardly stupid for going out in the sun.

Tanning doesn't seem to be as much of an obsession as it used to be either - in the 90s it was ridiculous. I know there's the Tallafornia thing and all that, but besides that stuff, people seem more careful about their skin these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I get headaches if I'm out in the sun for very long. My Dad had skin cancer so I'm very concious of it. I wear factor 30 for most of the year and factor 50 in Summer. So I'm milk white dappled with blue veins but I can't be bothered with fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

I like being tanned, just back from France so nicely browned.. wish it would stay all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I wear factor 30 for most of the year and factor 50 in Summer.

"An increase in SPF from 30 to 50 has only a one percent increase in protection against the harmful rays of the sun."

The difference between 30 and 50 is so minimal that it's not worth it. Furthermore, anything classified as 50+ is just nonsense. You're paying a premium for nothing and suppliers are not allowed classify anything with an SPF above 50 because it's false advertising.

Source: https://ph.she.yahoo.com/spf-100-no-better-than-spf-30--says-dermatologists.html

There's plenty of other sources to back it up too. Personally, I never go above 30 and even at that I'd use it for 2 days max before I go down to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I tried to get a tan but I couldn't, they're much fitter than they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

Don't neccessarily "care" but if I happen to get a light tan whilst out in the sun - I'm mildly pleased.

Does getting a tan cause skin cancer? .

Unless you have naturally dark or sallow skin, brown skin is damaged skin.
    getting a tan isn't actually harmful, (or people in the likes or Portugal/Spain etc, should all be dropping of skin cancer!

People from Spain and Portugal have naturally higher levels of melanin in their skin, so it's not comparing like with like.

If you're naturally very pale, then your skin browning is how your skin signals it's being damaged.

I go brown just looking at a good weather forcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Never get a Tan, the Sun doesn't shine at the Bar

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I care about not getting a tan. Being pale or looking like a well seasoned Spanish leather handbag?? Ill take being pale.

There's a middle ground. The "well season leather handbag" look are people who worship the sun with a very low factor on. I see it here; men and women lying out for hours and hours with that tanning oil stuff on with factor 2 in it or something. It doesn't bode well for their skin in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nah, don't really care. I have pale skin, but it does tan. Takes a while though! I very rarely sit out in the sun to get a tan.

Also never wear fake tan. Except the very odd time. Many girls I know wear fake tan everyday...could you be arsed ??!

Advertisement