Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about getting a tan?

Options
  • 30-06-2014 7:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

I've never beem overly concerned about getting a tan. I prefer having a tan than being pasty white, but since a tan just fades away anyway I'm not too bothered about getting one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

A neopoli-tan. Mmm ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

Nah not really it ruins your skin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I like sitting in the sun.. the tan is a happy byproduct of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I actively avoid it. Looking all tanned and 'healthy' doesn't really suit my personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I get one I get one, if I don't it isn't the end of the world. If I can avoid the lobster like state between the two frankly I'm chuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I collect vitamin D so I don't kill myself / anyone else in the winter. The tan is complementary and looks a bit healthier than the pale version of me. I don't go out tanning but I'll certainly whip my t shirt off if its hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

One fine day, my freckles will all join up, yet I will still be pale as the moon. I definitely don't care about a tan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I love a tan, any chance I get to get even 5 minutes in the sun and the top comes off. My day feels so much better if I get a few minutes of sun on the skin #vitaminD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I prefer being pasty white so I care about getting a tan in that way, I don't want one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I actively care about not getting a tan. I don't understand the thinking behind it, as it's basically cooking yourself. I don't understand how it's seen as a healthy look, it's a weird fad. And as a country that has such high incidence of skin cancer i can't understand the stupidity behind the actually wanting to get a tan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

I'm ginger. So for that reason,

I'm out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Sodeepithurts

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I actively care about not getting a tan. I don't understand the thinking behind it, as it's basically cooking yourself. I don't understand how it's seen as a healthy look, it's a weird fad. And as a country that has such high incidence of skin cancer i can't understand the stupidity behind the actually wanting to get a tan.

That's got to be the longest fad of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Muise... wrote: »
    One fine day, my freckles will all join up, yet I will still be pale as the moon. I definitely don't care about a tan. :)

One freckle to rule them all, to bind them into the darkness.

That's got to be the longest fad of all time.

Is it? Dunno how long the being pale thing lasted myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Egass13 wrote: »
    I'm ginger. So for that reason,

I'm out.

Or in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I tan quite easily from just being out in the sun. Not hugely pushed about it but I'm not going to hide in the shade either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Hell no. Blinding people with my milk-bottle-white legs is my favourite part of summer. A tan would ruin that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

No, and I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with getting a tan. Do they not realize the damage their doing to their skin? A tan fades, wrinkles don't so look after your skin folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have very sallow skin, so I get taned very easily, as I now live in sunnier climates the rest is history :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yeah I get a bit obsessed about it when I'm on holidays (finishing up 10 days in Salou on Wednesday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Not pushed about it, If I gets one I gets one

If not - then meh

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

anncoates wrote: »
    I tan quite easily from just being out in the sun. Not hugely pushed about it but I'm not going to hide in the shade either.

I'm very conscious of skin cancer and I'm a fair-skinned. In saying that I always use factor 50 and avoid the 11-3 danger times when your most likely to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm an empty vase without my tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Does getting a tan cause skin cancer? The last few times I've been to a dermatologist I've been specifically told to get some sun. I think some people here are mixing up those leather skinned people who wear baby oil with those who get a bit brown from lounging for a few hours with factor 20 on...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nope, hate folks who proselytize it too. Stupid cultural thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Does getting a tan cause skin cancer? The last few times I've been to a dermatologist I've been specifically told to get some sun. I think some people here are mixing up those leather skinned people who wear baby oil with those who get a bit brown from lounging for a few hours with factor 20 on...

getting a tan isn't actually harmful, (or people in the likes or Portugal/Spain etc, should all be dropping of skin cancer! )

it's burning to tan, that really bad for the skin.

Some people naturally tan slowly, just from being out in the sun. These people will still tan while wearing sun cream, and it's still advised that they do.

What people need to actively avoid, is burning. Some people do not tan, and hence seek out the red, to get the very very temporary peeling tan.
    ________
    I'm lightly tanned naturally, and could probably get a deeper colour if I didn't hate the sun so much >.>
    Personally, I actually like the milky look. (always what you don't have eh? ...)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I prefer not having one. I don't like the fact that I'll end up with arms, cleavage and legs all different shades for most of the summer as some places inevitably get more sun than others.

Unfortunately, I tan rather quickly, and I usually spend a few hours outdoors most days as the weather is so nice now, so it's not really avoidable.

That's one thing I look forward to for winter - no tanlines on my boobs.

And you're mixing up getting some sun with getting a tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

No, I do not take the sun that well. I usually lather myself in suncream any times I'm outdoors for over 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Certainly don't try to get a tan, I'm naturally sallow though so I tend to get a tan first rather than getting burnt.

I do actively avoid the sun abroad though or at least be very careful about it.

There's already been a mild scare in the family from a lifetime of 'seeking' a tan which drove home to me how retarded some Irish people can be about the sun.

Advertisement