Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Leaving Cert MUSIC- All Levels: Before and After Discussion***

Options
  • 13-06-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

So, said I'd get this started even though we have a bit to go :)
    How's everyone set? Predictions for what bits of works coming up/ Irish music essays??:pac:

Anyone's ears bleeding yet from extensive study of Deane?:cool::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

Mozart definitely question 1, probably first movement

Irish essays:
    North America
    Sean nos
    instrumental ornamentation
    ceili band tradition

Hopefully a style question in Q6, maybe comparing it to set works like SEC2007 and DEB mock this year

Anyone's ears bleeding yet from extensive study of Deane?:cool::pac:

Am I the only one who thinks Deane is the best part of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ace_Ace

Am I the only one who thinks Deane is the best part of the course?
    Love it! so easy to distinguish the sections :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ita1995

when was the last time deane came up as the maim question?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

ita1995 wrote: »
    when was the last time deane came up as the maim question?

The last time our set was on, 2010!

Aw man I hate Deane, easy to distinguish sections,, not enjoyable to listen to :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Does anyone have notes on set works I could have? My teachers terrible and I really need good marks after how other exams have gone please HELP

not enjoyable to listen to :pac:

Deane didn't write the piece to be enjoyable. It's about death, when is that enjoyable? Although he does use some very funny techniques to convey it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Does anyone have notes on set works I could have? My teachers terrible and I really need good marks after how other exams have gone please HELP

The set works used to be on the ppmta website
    just google ppmta set works

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Armelodie wrote: »
    The set works used to be on the ppmta website
    just google ppmta set works

thanks but there doesnt seem to be much on them mostly youtube links

Deane didn't write the piece to be enjoyable. It's about death, when is that enjoyable? Although he does use some very funny techniques to convey it

Actually its about transformation .. Seachange is a reference to a shakespere quote about a body in the ocean becoming coral (rather than just a rotting corpse!)... So I spse you could mirror that with how the themes are transformed.
    thanks but there doesnt seem to be much on them mostly youtube links

Ppmta site www.ppmta.ie
    Menu
    Resources
    Syllabus resources (set b)

Try link herehereeee

All the notes in there are the ones provided to teachers so it should cover nearly everything
    these were also at a teacher conference to act as a refresher to the works
    Here

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    Actually its about transformation .. Seachange is a reference to a shakespere quote about a body in the ocean becoming coral (rather than just a rotting corpse!)... So I spse you could mirror that with how the themes are transformed.

You are 100% correct, but I can quote Deane himself,"Music is not always something to be enjoyed", referring to Seachanges. He also employs the idea of order and disorder in the piece which is very evident throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

Praying for an easy question 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

Hoping for Berlioz or Dean for the long question anything to do with Ceilí Bands for the essay would be great and a minor melody for the composition paper

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rachel_96

Guys I'm wondering if someone can help me with Irish music? I'm so clueless at it.

How do you tell the differences between the dances? Like how do you know what a hornpipe sounds like, or a slip jig sounds like?
    I know it's very bad not to know how to do this a few days before the exam, so someone help me!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Rachel_96 wrote: »
    Guys I'm wondering if someone can help me with Irish music? I'm so clueless at it.

How do you tell the differences between the dances? Like how do you know what a hornpipe sounds like, or a slip jig sounds like?
    I know it's very bad not to know how to do this a few days before the exam, so someone help me!

horn pipe - nearly always has an upbeat, you can fit "will you wash the bloomin' dishes" in the rhythm and it has a dotted rhythm
    slip jig - Liverpool Everton Everton fits into the rhythm, they also tend to be fairly slow and graceful

If I was you I'd listen to a lot of dances in the next few days and practise the questions in the papers! I used to really struggle with the dance but I just kept doing questions

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

I thought I'd spend most of my time studying the irish essays because that's the main theory....
    until I realized its only worth 2.5%!
    Am I right yeah?
    10 marks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamesmcdonald_

Does anyone know exactly how much detail we need to know each set work in?

Random question guys, are we allowed 5 minutes to read the whole paper before the CD starts? I could really do with it, I find the listening an intensive paper. I don't know if we are supposed to get the same for other aurals but we certainly didn't. For irish our supervisor started the tape immediately, which was a pain as I only got the first 2 pages read. For spanish it was a bit better, but I still didn't have the whole thing read before the test proper had started.... I just seem to have vague memoried of having a nice amountof time in JC music to fill in little bits before the CD started...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lauramarie13

Random question guys, are we allowed 5 minutes to read the whole paper before the CD starts? I could really do with it, I find the listening an intensive paper. I don't know if we are supposed to get the same for other aurals but we certainly didn't. For irish our supervisor started the tape immediately, which was a pain as I only got the first 2 pages read. For spanish it was a bit better, but I still didn't have the whole thing read before the test proper had started.... I just seem to have vague memoried of having a nice amountof time in JC music to fill in little bits before the CD started...

There's a test excerpt at the start of the CD to make sure everyone can hear it okay. That lasts for about 5 mins, and I think you can read over the paper during it (and obviously make sure you can hear the CD! :) ).

There's a test excerpt at the start of the CD to make sure everyone can hear it okay. That lasts for about 5 mins, and I think you can read over the paper during it (and obviously make sure you can hear the CD! :) ).
    Yeah, I suppose it'll be grand, I just feel super stressed trying to read the paper when the test excerpt is playing :O

Does anyone have a 20th century piece of music essay, have a feeling it could come up :/ we never did any irish music in class. We were handed a booklet of typed waffley essays and told to learn them all off in our own time :( problem with the irish education system right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

How much is paper two worth? (composition) Because I had a terrible teacher who never taught it to us properly and I couldn't afford grinds, nor can I read music. (I'm self taught at guitar)

We done as part of our practical, four performed pieces, technology inputs and an unseen memory test.

I'm just wondering how much everything is worth? cause I'm scared to death for paper two and failing paper two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarz21

Memories wrote: »
    How much is paper two worth? (composition) Because I had a terrible teacher who never taught it to us properly and I couldn't afford grinds, nor can I read music. (I'm self taught at guitar)

We done as part of our practical, four performed pieces, technology inputs and an unseen memory test.

I'm just wondering how much everything is worth? cause I'm scared to death for paper two and failing paper two...

The composing is worth 100 marks which is 25%, you do one question for Q1, 2 + 3, and another Q from 4, 5 +6. But think of it this way, if you did well in your practical you've the exam passed as it is :) Learn your paper 1 really well and you should do fine!

Also, any predictions for essay topics? Last minute revision is stressing me out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rachel_96

Any ideas on essay topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

Would it be safe to say that the 25 mark q on paper 1 is worth around 7%?

I'm so anxious for tomorrow! I got a C1 even though I started studying the subject in 6th year in the middle of December. And since I'm repeating the lc, I'm hoping to get a higher grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamesmcdonald_

Beatles 50th Anniversary there on monday. Possible Q1??

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Sean nos and/or influence in North America for Irish essay. Haven't been up for the last few years.

Very possible, just looking through papers and it might be a bit too predictable to give us mozart ! anyone know where i can get the aural files for 2003/2002, edco the C U Next Tuesdays have bloody put the papers in the exam papers and no tracks on the cd... and they're not on sec :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

I'm thinking Influences on North America, Sean-Nos, Ornamentation and The Collectors.

Then that YouTube guy went and said the same ones so....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

They could pull a 'Heaney' trick on us and instead put Mozart/The Beatles on Q6.

• Advertisement

Rachel_96 wrote: »
    Any ideas on essay topics?

Sean Ó Riada would cover a good few...

Innovation in irish music.
    Irish group (ceoiltoirí cualinn)
    Irish composer
    Music in 20th century
    Fusion in irish music

Advertisement