Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription Shades

Options
  • 26-05-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Happy Monday Boardies,

as 24/7 glasses wearer I am looking into geting some presciption shades to use while cycling. I currently use my ordinary shades but I find that on descents that i have tears steaming down my face & i was told that the wrap around shades help in preventing the tears.
    has anyone else experienced this & if so did the wrap arounds help & where did you get them & what kind of price am I looking at?

Thanks.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stroon

If you think your eyes are watering now wait until you see the prices... I think prescription Oakleys are €450+, and even then you only get one colour lens. If you wanted Transitions that would be dearer again (but cheaper than multiple lens colours).

Unless you're doing a lot of cycling maybe consider contacts under any pair of cheap wraparounds with a few different lens colours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Happy Monday Boardies,

as 24/7 glasses wearer I am looking into geting some presciption shades to use while cycling. I currently use my ordinary shades but I find that on descents that i have tears steaming down my face & i was told that the wrap around shades help in preventing the tears.
    has anyone else experienced this & if so did the wrap arounds help & where did you get them & what kind of price am I looking at?

Thanks.:cool:

I wear contacts and a decent pair of cycling glasses, to get my prescription in cycling glasses would cost me the same price as a good bike. Not the ideal solution if you don't get on with contacts though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Stroon wrote: »
    If you think your eyes are watering now wait until you see the prices... I think prescription Oakleys are €450+, and even then you only get one colour lens. If you wanted Transitions that would be dearer again (but cheaper than multiple lens colours).

Unless you're doing a lot of cycling maybe consider contacts under any pair of cheap wraparounds with a few different lens colours?

No need to spend anywhere near that price, I got a set from here - http://www.goggles4u.com/sports-goggles.html - about 2 years ago and they're still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I had the same dilemma as you. I was wearing regular prescription sunglasses, but they were rubbish on descents, and moved around too much while mountain biking. I can't get on with contact lenses at all so I finally bit the bullet and got a pair of prescription Oakleys. They're the Racing Jacket frame with transition lenses, and cost €425 from Vision Express. The turnaround was just over a week and I picked them up this weekend.

Wore them for the first time yesterday and they were great. The lens is vented, so they didn't steam up when climbing. The field of vision is fantastic also, you can't see the frame at all when they're on. It was a dull day, so didn't really get to see the transitions lenses in action, but they were one of the main reasons I went for the Oakleys. I was fed up of switching from my regular glasses to sunglasses, and the transitions should be good for MTB, going from dark forests out to the sunlight.

In terms of the price, yes they are very expensive, but they should last for years. Also, as I was also buying a pair of regular glasses from Vision Express I was able to use the €129 free second pair allowance towards the Oakleys, so that brought the price down to €296.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Have not tried them yet but these prices are much better than the Oakleys
    http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11,17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

colm18 wrote: »
    No need to spend anywhere near that price, I got a set from here - http://www.goggles4u.com/sports-goggles.html - about 2 years ago and they're still going strong

This seems like a good deal.

How does this work? Do the shades have prescription glass/plastic, or do they just put prescription lens inside the coloured plastic of the shades?

Also, what's the turnaround time and quality size, etc. like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

I got 2 pairs of these, one with yellow lenses for overcast days, one with dark tint - cost €61 for both inc delivery and rain coating.
    http://www.zennioptical.com/744321-plastic-full-rim-frame.html

Both work great, the dark one looks good, the yellow one isn't so stylish. I would probably get half-rim in yellow purely for aesthetics, if I was ordering again.

If your prescription is < 2 years, get a new one and ask for pupil distance measurement.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

darkvalley wrote: »
    Have not tried them yet but these prices are much better than the Oakleys
    http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11,17
    Got a "fleet" of Optilabs sunglasses - they are absolutely fine. Would recommend the prescription lenses over inserts as I've found it a pain to remove drops of "perspiration" and rain from behind the inserts

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Paschcom wrote: »
    This seems like a good deal.

How does this work? Do the shades have prescription glass/plastic, or do they just put prescription lens inside the coloured plastic of the shades?

Also, what's the turnaround time and quality size, etc. like?

The glasses are in 3 parts, - the frame, the coloured lenses and then the prescription insert.

I think I got mine about 2 weeks after ordering, may have been a little quicker. Build quality is fine ; I've dropped mine loads of times!

One downside, as Beasty mentions, is that inserts can get fogged up and rain beads can get caught between insert and lens. I definitely recommend them though, especially at the reduced price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I use ones like that - I've never had a problem with perspiration or rain between the lens and the insert but fogging does happen when you stop moving. Got them in Stagg for about 90 iirc. Comes with three colour lens - blue, yellow and clear. Getting the prescription lenses added cost 30 in the opticians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Stroon wrote: »

I have prescription Oakleys. They were less than $300 in the states, €450 seems excessive.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Evening all, thanks for your responses, I was advised by a firm of opticians Id be looking at €400:eek: plus for prescripition wraparounds. I dont fancy paying that if the dont reduce the tears, i'll just stick to my normal shades & cry like a baby going downhills.

I'll do some more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is there a reasonable priced make of proscription shades? I cannot help thinking that 300 plus quid for a frame and tinted glass is just too muck. Only paying for the name of my Oakleys it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't know if these from eyelids.ie can be re-glazed with distance prescriptions. They're standard reading prescription at present AFAICT for €31. I use their bi-focal glasses to read the garmin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I sent my script to riderseye and they sent me a pair of shades and a pair of clears for night riding on my motorbike. Partial cost of what youd pay here. I was repeatedly told i couldnt get wraparounds but they'd no probs in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If you can, I would recommend daily disposable contacts over prescrption sunnies for cycling.

They cost next to nothing and you wont be restricted to what shades you can wear.

A big problem with prescrption glasses is when you go through shady areas or through tunnels you are blind. Similarly, when the light fades, unless you have a spare pair of specs, you'll sttuggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

I have looked at this extensively as well and have come to the conclusion that disposable contacts and a set of budget brand shades are the best option, or laser eye surgery. If you have problems with your specs moving get a neoprene headband thing does the job keeps your glasses in place.

Some lads (me) might still need specs after eye surgery. I myself have also tried and failed numerous times to use contacts and I just can't. I wouldn't be without the eyewear and what's more they're. Good for all legal speeds. Spend 15 quid in specsavers get your full prescription and send it to america or fill out an online form on a site like riders eye. Not matter how helpful some places claim to be it's not unusual in Ireland to be fobbed off or priced out of the water.

Cheers Folks, I cant do contact lenses either I have tried but its not happening. some great tips . thanks again.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

GoTilUBlow wrote: »
    I picked up a set of Bolle from Gilna opticians in the IFSC for 160 euro with reactolite & scratch coat with prescription. Will be back again for my next pair.

Just looked them up, they look nice. I'd like to deal with a bricks and mortar place too.

I've been amazed a couple of times at the complete lack of interest the major optician chains have in this segment of the market. I've gone in several times and come out disappointed. Literally no knowledge, no pricing, no idea.

• Advertisement

steveone wrote: »
    I sent my script to riderseye and they sent me a pair of shades and a pair of clears for night riding on my motorbike. Partial cost of what youd pay here. I was repeatedly told i couldnt get wraparounds but they'd no probs in the U.S.

Hi steveone, can you advise me of the cost? did you find them easy to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I was in a Dublin City Centre optician this morning. They have really fancy oakleys for cycling they can make in prescription

However my eyesight is so bad (astigmatism) they cant make the lenses to wrap around :(

Just aswell though as they are 500 plus euro

bazermc wrote: »
    I was in a Dublin City Centre optician this morning. They have really fancy oakleys for cycling they can make in prescription

However my eyesight is so bad (astigmatism) they cant make the lenses to wrap around :(

Just aswell though as they are 500 plus euro
    holy jebus, thats half the cost of my bike!

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Hi steveone, can you advise me of the cost? did you find them easy to deal with?

Sorry just picked this up now. Cant remember the cost but it was very reasonable and i had both pairs in a week. No hassle or sweating once u pick ur frames and supply prescription info its job done. It takes two weeks to get a standard set of lenses for me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I had the same dilemma as you. I was wearing regular prescription sunglasses, but they were rubbish on descents, and moved around too much while mountain biking. I can't get on with contact lenses at all so I finally bit the bullet and got a pair of prescription Oakleys. They're the Racing Jacket frame with transition lenses, and cost €425 from Vision Express. The turnaround was just over a week and I picked them up this weekend.

Wore them for the first time yesterday and they were great. The lens is vented, so they didn't steam up when climbing. The field of vision is fantastic also, you can't see the frame at all when they're on. It was a dull day, so didn't really get to see the transitions lenses in action, but they were one of the main reasons I went for the Oakleys. I was fed up of switching from my regular glasses to sunglasses, and the transitions should be good for MTB, going from dark forests out to the sunlight.

In terms of the price, yes they are very expensive, but they should last for years. Also, as I was also buying a pair of regular glasses from Vision Express I was able to use the €129 free second pair allowance towards the Oakleys, so that brought the price down to €296.

Hi Bogmanfan,
    Interested in the Racing jackets for water sports and came across this thread. What options did VE offer you in terms of tints. Was it the usual Oakley range or was it just brown or grey (with transitions optional) that most opticians seem to have over here?

I saw Cuesta Raggio glasses on Ribble, have never heard of the brand name before, but they have polycarbonate photocromatic lenses for 40 bucks and the prescription insert for €5.

I checked with specsavers and they will fit standard single vision lenses for €45 so you are all sorted for under a €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

paulgs wrote: »
    I saw Cuesta Raggio glasses on Ribble, have never heard of the brand name before, but they have polycarbonate photocromatic lenses for 40 bucks and the prescription insert for €5.

I checked with specsavers and they will fit standard single vision lenses for €45 so you are all sorted for under a €100.

Hi does the optical insert just clip in behind the tinted lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bandit1987

Bought these recently http:// www . chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rockgardn-pangaea-riding-glasses/rp-prod64730

Havent actually tried them yet just waiting on specsavers to sort my prescription, 45e for prescription + extra 15e if you go polycarbonate so the whole lot for 95e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Prescription shades in a standard sunglasses frame nearly killed me a couple of years back in Paris - they warped in the heat, and slipped off. I grabbed for them, mobile phone flew out of my hand, I grabbed for that with the other hand, a foot hit one of those deathtrap metal surrounds Paris has on its trees, the metal surround tilted, I plunged to the ground. A perfect storm; I expect George Clooney to star in the movie.
    I went to Fitzpatrick's Opticians in Terenure and asked for advice, and they suggested putting shaded prescription lenses in an ordinary metal frame, and that's what's served me ever since. If I cycled in and out of tunnels regularly I'd look for a version that changes with the light.
    As for their being half the price of the bike, anything that saves your life is worth that.

• Advertisement

Hi does the optical insert just clip in behind the tinted lenses?

yes that's normally the way it works

Advertisement