Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Ceann Sibeal, a.k.a. Dingle Links - stunning scenery on all sides. If you get to Dingle for a holiday or short break, make sure you get out to this links course which is beyond Balyferriter, on the tip of the peninsula. Well worth a visit for the scenery alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Off to Tralee tomorrow. Have played it 4 times before and it just gets better and better.

I just LOVE links golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

This morning in Arklow.

7KgCLj.jpg

Conditions were perfect, only my third round on a links course and I really enjoyed using my imagination with approaches and around the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Corballis was stunning this morning, I think I have the links bug ( possibly due to the front 9 20pts this morning, got tired on back 9 😢).... My 11 month old baby girl was on a all night insomniac party buzz last night.

Played a few holes out there recently with fix and he told me what club to hit on a few holes...So took the same clubs today and thought more about strategy out there... Boom 20pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Out till 845 pm. Stunning lads.

Just a light waft from the sea. Good for the soul on a Friday.

Still uneven growth on greens, but getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Was also out in Corballis yesterday, what a day, beautiful. First time playing Corballis in 15 years, so it felt like my first time again. Wow. Some great holes on the front, two good closing holes. Greens very good. Will definitely be back.
    Best value golf in the country.

Walked into Mourne Golf Club (aka RCD) - introduced myself and had pints with the members.

These lads telling stories about Faldo - Nicklaus - Woods - McIlroy - Watson. Not just name dropping - just actual stories of actual events.

Lads - this is just a place that you need to go to - it is not a choice I told them. The money is mad - but , you only have one chance at this.

Great laugh, great tips , pure golf people. They see them coming.

They liked that, I just called in and made the effort.

I think this is the happiest I've been in about 3 years :D

They were all laughing at me - saying I will break 85. They have seen it all before - one of the lads tried to cure my slice - they said you can't come to RCD and hit a 6 iron on first :p

God , I love links golf. :D

They invited me to play Bridge - but they are just normal blokes, your ideas can be wrong - so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Walked into Mourne Golf Club (aka RCD) - introduced myself and had pints with the members.

So you weren't in the main clubhouse? It's always very quiet there. I've been told before that the Mourne clubhouse is the place to go. Sounds like a great laugh.

No Bridge tomorrow, either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

So you weren't in the main clubhouse? It's always very quiet there. I've been told before that the Mourne clubhouse is the place to go. Sounds like a great laugh.

No Bridge tomorrow, either!

I was in there after playing an open day there last July and the lads in there were dead on. Had a couple of pints with the Mourne captain & the head greenkeeper. Sound lads they were.

Sound lads. Real club feel in there.

place to go have a pint and meet members.

• Advertisement

Sound lads. Real club feel in there.

place to go have a pint and meet members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

FdP, your mail box is full. Tee time is at 1pm, I'll be there from 12. I'm hoping you or Kevin is picking up Hunter.
    CUthen

FdP, your mail box is full. Tee time is at 1pm, I'll be there from 12. I'm hoping you or Kevin is picking up Hunter.
    CUthen

Yes all good,

- thanks for pm warning. Now clear.

Will be there around 12 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Right, I'm playing Corballis in the morning. Have played it a few times with below desired results.
    Someone give me a strategy guide to go with

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Felexicon wrote: »
    Right, I'm playing Corballis in the morning. Have played it a few times with below desired results.

Fix is the man but he's probably getting 9 holes in Ballybunion this evening after RCD this morning and The Island tomorrow :)

This is pretty much the gospel according to Fix
    Corballis 6:9
    (If no advice, it's prob a par 3 and judge wind for distance)

2. Hit 160 through the gap. Wedge to the green.
    3. Hit your driver well and there's room to the right. Very tricky approach. Not a bad idea to lay up and play as a par 5.
    5. Hit it 160-170 off the tee. Favour RHS
    7. 140-155 or less off the tee. Aim at the marker. You'll have a wedge in. No point going for it from the tee.
    8. A well struck driver may run you into trouble if you're long. No harm hitting less. A tricky green to stay on.
    9. If you're gonna miss, miss right.
    11. 6 or 7 iron at the marker for a wedge in. No point going for green off the tee.
    12. Fix let's you hit the driver on this :) the only par 5. Sensible second landing zone is somewhere in between the clubhouse and the green (7i maybe).
    13. Good luck
    14. Hit it 180 aimed at the path.
    15. Grab the big boy.
    16. Grab it again.
    17. Good luck. Skull an iron and it may stay on.
    18. Big landing zone so a lot of clubs to get you there. Plenty of room to the left. Driver may get you in trouble.

Felexicon wrote: »

I have one. On Corballis thread.

Will try dig up.
    But wifi awful in this hotel I'm in.
    Short version

1 obvious.
    2 pw/9 to gap
    3 Feck it - fade in gap or draw over big dune on right.
    But that is if you have an over 200 yard carry in you.
    5 - 6 iron on hrs of fairway. More room right
    7 . 7 iron. If wind behind 8
    11 6 or 7 at pole. Wind behind 7
    12. A drive
    13 don't be short don't be long. Lol
    14 200 yard club . More room on left.
    15 Drive right of bunker
    16 aim at same spot
    17 hit and hope.
    18 200 yard club more room on left.

Lol thanks. PARLANCE.

Some change due to mood.

no at this time of year. Your the higher number iron of the club's.
    Ball beginning to roll and temperature up.

If you hit a solid ball this time of year. I'd be playing 130 yard club on 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Cheers lads. Ended up with 29 points thus morning. Took driver out for the par 5 only and lost it in the cabbage.
    Great day for it

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Corballis this afternoon. Glorious in sunshine, its been more than a few years since i played it last. Great value golf and we were lucky it was only just over 3 hours and a bit. I'll defo play there again this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Corballis this afternoon. Glorious in sunshine, its been more than a few years since i played it last. Great value golf and we were lucky it was only just over 3 hours and a bit. I'll defo play there again this summer.

This thread should be renamed Corballis
    thread , surely more to links golf in Ireland than this place!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

rooney30 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with the lads talking about corballis. If you would like to talk about somewhere else, on ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It would be chock full of Portmarnock pics if they dropped €150 quid off the green fee!

Yeah you may have a point. I recently played bettystown but didn't feel the need to post about it here, maybe because i was pure mule that day.
    In the winter i played the European club, my god that place would break your heart.

Have you played on one recently yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Yeah you may have a point. I recently played bettystown but didn't feel the need to post about it here, maybe because i was pure mule that day.
    In the winter i played the European club, my god that place would break your heart.

My best score of the year has come at the European... this game would break your heart!!!!

PARlance wrote: »
    My best score of the year has come at the European... this game would break your heart!!!!

very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Would Galway Bay be considered a full links? Played it recently and if it was, I'd seriously consider playing more links. A good different challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Would Galway Bay be considered a full links? Played it recently and if it was, I'd seriously consider playing more links. A good different challenge.

Partially linksy I would say but in truth it's not really anything like a pure links IMHO. Take a trip out to Ballyconneely for the true experience.

Ok another Links then - Hit The Island with a few lads from here today.
    Class day for any golf , bliss for Links golf.
    It is a brilliant course, a lovely place and great people there. Real welcome from Everybody at club.

The course is in full play and the greens are as good as I've seen on a links - changes taking shape around many tees - lengthening the course. Had a very poor day off the tee - in the wrong place so many times - still recovered ok and had 31 pts.

I was very lucky - as the rough is not as long as I remember there - in mid summer I would have lost about 8 balls - not one lost , just one in water.

It is a great , great course for a links lover. Great variety and shape - it is so unusual to have to hit irons like 5, 6, 7 to par 4s. But it is also a course that must change every day of the week.
    It has holes that are unusual like 2,4,5,6,8,9 - 12,13,14,15,16.
    Not all particularly unusual , but holes you would only see on a links.

It is a great time of year to play links golf - not too hot, nice cooling breeze. Just bliss, away from it all. Only sign of civilisation is the passing Northern Rail line and when Malahide comes into view. Hard to believe you are only a short distance from large suburban areas.

So , will play it again - a must play for Links Lovers.

I basically almost finished the East coast run now - just the following
    Royal Dublin (Next Door) and Laytown - Can't remember Rosslare - so going to go there again very soon. So will have them done in 3 months or so.

If we say for a second Royal County Down is east - I'd rate as follows.

1) Royal County Down
    2) The Island
    3) Portmarnock Links
    4) Baltray
    5) The European Club
    6) Portmarnock
    7) Arklow
    8) Corballis
    9) Seapoint
    10) St Annes

So East almost there - off to the West next.

Need a little rest and to sort that driving - because these are not course to be playing with a crazy OTT action. :)

Edit
    Just to add to above - As others have said, it can be a bit discrediting to make lists at times - I have had some of my happiest days on some of the lower ranked courses above. Maybe because I score better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 doenahs

Ok another Links then - Hit The Island with a few lads from here today.
    Class day for any golf , bliss for Links golf.
    It is a brilliant course, a lovely place and great people there. Real welcome from Everybody at club.

The course is in full play and the greens are as good as I've seen on a links - changes taking shape around many tees - lengthening the course. Had a very poor day off the tee - in the wrong place so many times - still recovered ok and had 31 pts.

I was very lucky - as the rough is not as long as I remember there - in mid summer I would have lost about 8 balls - not one lost , just one in water.

It is a great , great course for a links lover. Great variety and shape - it is so unusual to have to hit irons like 5, 6, 7 to par 4s. But it is also a course that must change every day of the week.
    It has holes that are unusual like 2,4,5,6,8,9 - 12,13,14,15,16.
    Not all particularly unusual , but holes you would only see on a links.

It is a great time of year to play links golf - not too hot, nice cooling breeze. Just bliss, away from it all. Only sign of civilisation is the passing Northern Rail line and when Malahide comes into view. Hard to believe you are only a short distance from large suburban areas.

So , will play it again - a must play for Links Lovers.

I basically almost finished the East coast run now - just the following
    Royal Dublin (Next Door) and Laytown - Can't remember Rosslare - so going to go there again very soon. So will have them done in 3 months or so.

If we say for a second Royal County Down is east - I'd rate as follows.

1) Royal County Down
    2) The Island
    3) Portmarnock Links
    4) Baltray
    5) The European Club
    6) Portmarnock
    7) Arklow
    8) Corballis
    9) Seapoint
    10) St Annes

So East almost there - off to the West next.

Need a little rest and to sort that driving - because these are not course to be playing with a crazy OTT action. :)

Edit
    Just to add to above - As others have said, it can be a bit discrediting to make lists at times - I have had some of my happiest days on some of the lower ranked courses above. Maybe because I score better :)

Can I ask much you paid for the round?
    I'd love to play the course but their green fees prices are crazy according to their website.

Advertisement