Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fertiliser prices - Forward buying

• 02-12-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Any idea what the trend for prices is in 2014?
    Co-op has left-over Can. Thinking of buying in advance.
    Any idea what I should be paying?
    Big bags, collected.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

I won't be forward buying this year. Cannot see a price increase in 14, could be very wrong and have been before

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

delaval wrote: »
    I won't be forward buying this year. Cannot see a price increase in 14, could be very wrong and have been before

Haven't we all:D
    Quoted me €280ton.
    How would that compare, do you think?
    Made a few quid this year...for once, so may spend it forward...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Haven't we all:D
    Quoted me €280ton.
    How would that compare, do you think?
    Made a few quid this year...for once, so may spend it forward...;)

Sure that F all less than we paid for it in September. I wouldnt touch it.

€350 for Urea to tempt me, Sit tight, I wouldnt fancy being a merchant trying to sell over priced fertiliser to grain farmers and they bought the last crop of them for €150 a ton. Wholesalers yards are full so I expect they have bought well as they wouldnt fill their boots unless if was priced properly

Yuzhnyy Black Sea Urea this time last year was $380 a ton, today its $300 a ton. Considering shipping costs, handling, wholesalers and merchants margins are pretty much constant, it should mean a reduction of circa €60 a ton

Now after saying all the, fert will probably be up €50 a ton in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Sure that F all less than we paid for it in September. I wouldnt touch it.

€350 for Urea to tempt me, Sit tight, I wouldnt fancy being a merchant trying to sell over priced fertiliser to grain farmers and they bought the last crop of them for €150 a ton. Wholesalers yards are full so I expect they have bought well as they wouldnt fill their boots unless if was priced properly

Yuzhnyy Black Sea Urea this time last year was $380 a ton, today its $300 a ton. Considering shipping costs, handling, wholesalers and merchants margins are pretty much constant, it should mean a reduction of circa €60 a ton

Now after saying all the, fert will probably be up €50 a ton in the morning

Thanks Bob! Swift, decisive instruction.
    I'll sit tight for now. Who Knows, he may reduce to clear his yard yet;)
    If it does go up by €50/ton, I know where you hang out:D

Thanks Bob! Swift, decisive instruction.
    I'll sit tight for now. Who Knows, he may reduce to clear his yard yet;)
    If it does go up by €50/ton, I know where you hang out:D

You know what they say about opinions. I reckon you will be able to bid a merchant at the moment. Cheque book out on the counter and his name written on the top of the cheque, maybe too much for some merchants to refuse. Make sure your dealing with the organ grinder and not the monkey. Things are not all too rosey in the garden for merchant on the feed side of things and they may prefer to only take a tenner a ton on old fert stock to buy back in cheaper stock. I cant enquire of my fert merchant as the price for new season for obvious reasons :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

You know what they say about opinions. I reckon you will be able to bid a merchant at the moment. Cheque book out on the counter and his name written on the top of the cheque, maybe too much for some merchants to refuse. Make sure your dealing with the organ grinder and not the monkey. Things are not all too rosey in the garden for merchant on the feed side of things and they may prefer to only take a tenner a ton on old fert stock to buy back in cheaper stock. Can cant enquire of my fert merchant as the price for new season for obvious reasons :D:D

And it's costing him c. 2euro a ton a month on bank interest charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I am in the same quandary myself Pat would suit to buy before end of year but will price and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I am in the same quandary myself Pat would suit to buy before end of year but will price and see.

In the market for urea and 18 6 12 and if I can't buy urea for 350 to 370 a tonne
    Or 18 6 12 for simillar I'll hold off till January.bought urea for 420 in September and thought 'twas dear at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Urea prices have plummeted over this side of the world in recent times:D, $580 a ton now been linked to lower global demand and the introduction of new urea plants in Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

wasnt potassium meant to go down 100$ a tonne or has it happened yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

One of my fert merchants told me yesterday urea and can set to increase 30 euro a ton to him for his next order.

One of my fert merchants told me yesterday urea and can set to increase 30 euro a ton to him for his next order.

Im hearing this aswell, but unsure to believe it. Prices are tempting. Importers are full of dear product so will do everything to increase price I have a feeling. Saw the First load of fert on the road yesterday out of one of the wholesalers yard :eek:, usually it would be starting to rocket out at this stage, merchants have nothing in the yard

Im hearing this aswell, but unsure to believe it. Prices are tempting. Importers are full of dear product so will do everything to increase price I have a feeling. Saw the First load of fert on the road yesterday out of one of the wholesalers yard :eek:, usually it would be starting to rocket out at this stage, merchants have nothing in the yard
    I'm hearing around 380 for urea but it's fairly hush hush.still all old stock and loads of it in my merchants yard,well hidden in sheds though!!.o offered 350 and waiting for an answer.18 6 12 about 410

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

Im hearing this aswell, but unsure to believe it.

You better believe it! Prices strong and on the rise. You could do worse than get some now. Impossible to tell where it will be in March but it will be well up from where it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭99nsr125

There's a good premium being charged at the moment

UK 0.24.24 (equivalent to 0-10-20) blend is typically available at about £275/t (330 Euro) bagged delivered farm; as of October

We couldn't get a quote from our normal supplier for 0-10-20 for
    any less than 420/t, didn't go for it.

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/business/on-farm-buying-caution-despite-falling-fertiliser-prices/59247.article

hammer73 wrote: »
    You better believe it! Prices strong and on the rise. You could do worse than get some now. Impossible to tell where it will be in March but it will be well up from where it is now.

You a rep or something hammer??.can see fertliser been well back next year.some big cartel in Eastern Europe was broken up and prices will fall back.deals will be done for urea at 350 to 400 max and compounds like 18 6 12 and pasture sward etc will be all sub 400.hopefully!!

You a rep or something hammer??.can see fertliser been well back next year.some big cartel in Eastern Europe was broken up and prices will fall back.deals will be done for urea at 350 to 400 max and compounds like 18 6 12 and pasture sward etc will be all sub 400.hopefully!!

mahoney_j wrote: »

Yeah, selling for Yara. The cartel hadan effect on the price of potash, so wont influence the price of CAN and Ureaand will have little effect on the like of pasture sward due to the smallamount potash in it. Nitrogen is the main driver in the price of fertiliser soif that keeps rising like it is the compounds will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Im hoping to spread a bag of maize starte on the milking block come jan/feb. Grassland agro have a 19-16-0. Will try spread another bag in autumn then and spread can the rest of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I reckon there is a big fall coming, i have been contacted by my merchant offering Urea at €335 and CAN at €275. he tells me that prices are on the rise and he has nearly all that stock sold, but thats not what i'm hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

jersey101 wrote: »
    Im hoping to spread a bag of maize starte on the milking block come jan/feb. Grassland agro have a 19-16-0. Will try spread another bag in autumn then and spread can the rest of the year

what price roughly is that around. I need to spread p according to my soil samples. so was looking at that for a once off or else go with a few rounds of 25-4-0. any ideas of the price of either or I can ring the coop anyway tomorrow

funny man wrote: »
    I reckon there is a big fall coming.

What makes you think that there is a big fall coming?

f140 wrote: »
    what price roughly is that around. I need to spread p according to my soil samples. so was looking at that for a once off or else go with a few rounds of 25-4-0. any ideas of the price of either or I can ring the coop anyway tomorrow

havent a clue. Were soil sampleing next month and grassland are going to give us a deal on what we need. So they said any eay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

What makes you think that there is a big fall coming?
    nothing other than the panic that merchants are doing to get rid of stock.

I reckon there is a big fall coming, i have been contacted by my merchant offering Urea at €335 and CAN at €275. he tells me that prices are on the rise and he has nearly all that stock sold, but thats not what i'm hearing.

Urea at 335 u might pm me a contact for that lad,that's a very good price .gran urea I presume

Urea at 335 u might pm me a contact for that lad,that's a very good price .gran urea I presume

Your right, 335 if its Gran Urea is a very good price and 275 is very good got CAN as well.

I cant see how you guys consider CAN at €275 good value, we were buying this in September for €290

Sure as you all know, to sell something fast you have to up the price

I cant see how you guys consider CAN at €275 good value, we were buying this in September for €290

Can at 250 or under is what I'd consider good value at the moment.on the Yarra fertliser how do lads find it .got results from there 27 2.5 5 and sulphur last year but didn't nAke much of there urea.much happier with gouldings stuff

• Advertisement

Can at 250 or under is what I'd consider good value at the moment.on the Yarra fertliser how do lads find it .got results from there 27 2.5 5 and sulphur last year but didn't nAke much of there urea.much happier with gouldings stuff

Can at 250 or under is what I'd consider good value at the moment.

Good luck in finding CAN at 250 or under. Ill leave ye at it, im off for the spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Can at 250 or under is what I'd consider good value at the moment.on the

Will take a couple of loads at that price where can i source

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Urea 365
    Can 275
    Price I got at start of week. How does it compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Got a quote today but think I will be holding off a while unless the last guy has a much better quote.

Urea 365
    CAN+S 295
    10-10-20 480
    MOP 440
    Sulpha Graze 425
    Pasture Sward 395
    18-6-12 380
    Granlime 150

He hinted that prices are expected to drop in the new year. These are prices for 16T delivered will mix and match to suit my need, looking at it Urea, and 18-6-12 are nearly compeditive, CAN needs to drop at least 30 to get in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Got a quote today but think I will be holding off a while unless the last guy has a much better quote.

Urea 365
    CAN+S 295
    10-10-20 480
    MOP 440
    Sulpha Graze 425
    Pasture Sward 395
    18-6-12 380
    Granlime 150

He hinted that prices are expected to drop in the new year. These are prices for 16T delivered will mix and match to suit my need, looking at it Urea, and 18-6-12 are nearly compeditive, CAN needs to drop at least 30 to get in the mix.
    I guess quote off plc in south west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Was pricing phosphate yesterday, 16% super 350/tonne but rep said not to buy as its due to fall in price, he didn't have a price for rock phosphate

350 for urea
    370 for 18 6 12
    Can 270.
    Deal more or less done for uraa and 18 6 12 .bluffed 340 for urea though and hopefully I'll get it.was told prices should soften further in new year especially can.will be got for 250 or less by late spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Any idea what the trend for prices is in 2014?
    Co-op has left-over Can. Thinking of buying in advance.
    Any idea what I should be paying?
    Big bags, collected.
    Thanks.

Unless it has been stored properly ie in a dry store with low humidity I would be a bit wary tbh. High humidity / damp will effect the levels of N in the big bags. You would also need to store it under similar circumstances to get the best out of it.

Just having a look at journal and see gouldings have urea with a special coating that they now claim can be spread anytime of the year.id be very interested in this if price is right.anyond know anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Just having a look at journal and see gouldings have urea with a special coating that they now claim can be spread anytime of the year.id be very interested in this if price is right.anyond know anymore

Just on that, I saw that as well and taught it is a very good idea, if it works and is not too much over the price of normal urea

But, what would the price difference between urea and can want to be, to make can better value taking into account the losses in urea.

And does urea suck the life out of land like some lads would make you belive??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Urea 365
    CAN+S 295
    10-10-20 480
    MOP 440
    Sulpha Graze 425
    Pasture Sward 395
    18-6-12 380
    Granlime 150

Bought a load today from a local co op- 20 ton 10.10.20 @ 417 left in shed
    6 ton Can plus 5 sulphur 295.
    (Could get Can plus 3 sulphur in Belfast for 283 delivered but their 10.10.20 was a bit dearer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

350 for urea
    370 for 18 6 12
    Can 270.
    Deal more or less done for uraa and 18 6 12 .bluffed 340 for urea though and hopefully I'll get it.was told prices should soften further in new year especially can.will be got for 250 or less by late spring.

I can forward buy Urea or 18 6 12 from the local Glanbia for 370 cash, would be handy to have it on the books for this year, considering the prices you got, I'll probably go order some of the 18 6 12, I think I'll hold out on the Urea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Bought a load today from a local co op- 20 ton 10.10.20 @ 417 left in shed
    6 ton Can plus 5 sulphur 295.
    (Could get Can plus 3 sulphur in Belfast for 283 delivered but their 10.10.20 was a bit dearer)

Can you pm Belfast details?

Lads anyone get any details on that urea in talking about above yet,price etc??.my Arrabawn rep not back till Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

think urea is arround 360
    i was quoted from liffeys 290 can, pasure sward 390 18-6-12 390

When are ye hoping to start spreading fert lads?

When are ye hoping to start spreading fert lads?

As soon after the 15 as weather and ground conditions allow.will go with about 30 units

As soon after the 15 as weather and ground conditions allow.will go with about 30 units

Father would never spread that early. I'll have a job on my hands to get him to spread before 10th of feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Father would never spread that early. I'll have a job on my hands to get him to spread before 10th of feb

I was the same but I followed what the experts on the grass measuring thread were advising last year and it worked well for me so I'll be ready on the 15th and go asap after that if that's the consenus view. Does anyone place any store by the T sum 200 measure that the brits used to use? The cumulative daytime temps after Jan 1st and spread when you get to 200. We'd be at around 25 here now after 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Think i may order a sneaky pallet of urea, hookup the fertiliser spreader and be out in the feilds before mine can stop me :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement