Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big weight loss, is my stomach ruined????

Options
  • 09-06-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

Hi!

A little background,
    I'm 27 years old and male.

a few years back I weighed 18 and a half stone at 5'9''.
    It basically was a living hell.

But anyway, I made my mind up to lose it and I have, I now weigh bang on 11st.

Im just starting to get into weightlifting now as I have ZERO muscle left ha! And also to try and get a six pack which a few years ago, quite literally, seemed impossible.

Anyway I just worried that because my skin would have stretched so much, that it might never be ok again :(

Ill upload a pic here to show you guys what I mean.

Im completely new to all this, so any advice and tips at all would be massively appreciated. I will achieve my dream :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Fair play on the weight loss. Amazing achievement.

I don't think the excess skin is so bad that it won't tighten up over time. You're only 27 so still have a lot of elasticity in your skin. If I were you I'd keep going with your plans to bulk up and fill your skin out a bit. Then you can assess how you feel about it and take it from there.

There are creams and stuff but I can't advise you there. Your doc might be able to prescribe you something if you wanted to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Devia wrote: »
    Fair play on the weight loss. Amazing achievement.

I don't think the excess skin is so bad that it won't tighten up over time. You're only 27 so still have a lot of elasticity in your skin. If I were you I'd keep going with your plans to bulk up and fill your skin out a bit. Then you can assess how you feel about it and take it from there.

There are creams and stuff but I can't advise you there. Your doc might be able to prescribe you something if you wanted to go down that route.

Thanks!
    I lost that weight slowly over a few years so all in all my skin is pretty tight, its literally that little "pouch" over my tummy. Like its not really bad, but when i bend forward or while I'm planking etc, it looks **** and makes me feel bad about myself.

So hopefully the more muscle i build, the less loose skin there will be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've seen a lad who was 21 stone lose it all in 2 years and have abs. No saggy skin.

I remember something from either Lyle McDonald or Alan Aragon on skin elasticity. It was something a long the lines of that if you had saggy skin there may still be a small amount of fat deposits preventing the skin from elasticating. Unfortunately it might be the last fat to go as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Just came to say fair play. I thought the picture would be a lot worse, doesn't appear to be too much loose skin to me. Congrats

I've seen a lad who was 21 stone lose it all in 2 years and have abs. No saggy skin.

I remember something from either Lyle McDonald or Alan Aragon on skin elasticity. It was something a long the lines of that if you had saggy skin there may still be a small amount of fat deposits preventing the skin from elasticating. Unfortunately it might be the last fat to go as well

Yes unfortunatly I think your right, I have the SMALLEST bit of flab there too :(
    jive wrote: »
    Just came to say fair play. I thought the picture would be a lot worse, doesn't appear to be too much loose skin to me. Congrats

Cheers, thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

gollywog wrote: »
    Yes unfortunatly I think your right, I have the SMALLEST bit of flab there too :(

Cheers, thanks very much!

I was expecting it to be way worse aswell. Pack on some muscles and you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

When I opened that pic my first thought was that you'd put up the wrong photo.

syklops wrote: »
    I was expecting it to be way worse aswell. Pack on some muscles and you will be grand.

When I opened that pic my first thought was that you'd put up the wrong photo.

Thanks guys :) Maybe i shouldnt be panicking as much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

What's going to be hard is eating enough to build some muscle without feeling you will get fat again.

What's going to be hard is eating enough to build some muscle without feeling you will get fat again.

Ha ha yes im very much struggling with that tbh, I also have a pretty small appetite now so eating becomes a chore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thats brilliant fella well done on the weight loss you look great to be honest im trying to lose about 20lbs at the moment im doing plenty exercise and cutting down on junk and portion size the thing is im constantly hungrey especially after exercise or in the evening im really enjoying the getting fit part but i just cant get the thought of food out of my head any tips for me would a protein shake stave off hunger pangs

and also, can anyone estimate roughly what sort of body fat% i might be? I know its a weird and unanswerable question, but just an educated guess...

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant fella well done on the weight loss you look great to be honest im trying to lose about 20lbs at the moment im doing plenty exercise and cutting down on junk and portion size the thing is im constantly hungrey especially after exercise or in the evening im really enjoying the getting fit part but i just cant get the thought of food out of my head any tips for me would a protein shake stave off hunger pangs

Thanks!
    I was also constantly hungry until about a month or two ago, now im just never really hungry tbh... I honestly dont know why either?

But advice wise, i suppose, is just never give up. Keep picturing yourself exactly how you want to be and work at it. Also before you eat something, ask yourself do you really actually want it. I found lots of times i was eating for the sake of it, not because i was hungry!

Best of luck anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

That just looks like a fantastic flat stomach to me! I can't see loose skin at all, fair play to ya!

boogle wrote: »
    That just looks like a fantastic flat stomach to me! I can't see loose skin at all, fair play to ya!

Thanks! Yes while im standing up straight it doesnt look too bad, but its when im doin press ups or anything like that, i feel like taking a knife to it lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Fair play man, that's a serious achievement. Like others, I was expecting a lot worse from the photo! You've done the hard part, putting on the muscle should be fun in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

and also, can anyone estimate roughly what sort of body fat% i might be? I know its a weird and unanswerable question, but just an educated guess...

you'd need to get it measured. but this image is pretty good at making an eyeball guess.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

well done on losing the weight.

Fair play man, that's a serious achievement. Like others, I was expecting a lot worse from the photo! You've done the hard part, putting on the muscle should be fun in comparison!

Cheers :) I just feel so much better in myself, its a whole different life tbh, was worth all the crap, hard days. I'd do it all again if i had to too :)
    you'd need to get it measured. but this image is pretty good at making an eyeball guess.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

well done on losing the weight.

Thank you very much, that was exactly what i was looking for. Judging by that i'd guess im around the 20% mark. Im actually raging I never found out what bf% i was when i was heavier, was a 44 inch waist, am a very comfortable 32 now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

I opened that pic expecting it to be a lot worse than it was too! Fair play to you something you should be real proud of :) I reckon a few months hard work in the gym with a good bit of work on your abs and you'll have a 6 pack in no time, again well done :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Hi!

A little background,
    I'm 27 years old and male.

a few years back I weighed 18 and a half stone at 5'9''.
    It basically was a living hell.

But anyway, I made my mind up to lose it and I have, I now weigh bang on 11st.

Im just starting to get into weightlifting now as I have ZERO muscle left ha! And also to try and get a six pack which a few years ago, quite literally, seemed impossible.

Anyway I just worried that because my skin would have stretched so much, that it might never be ok again :(

Ill upload a pic here to show you guys what I mean.

Im completely new to all this, so any advice and tips at all would be massively appreciated. I will achieve my dream :)

Well done with the weight loss.

Have you a few key tips to share with those of us that would like to achieve similar losses?

• Advertisement

Iano_128 wrote: »
    I opened that pic expecting it to be a lot worse than it was too! Fair play to you something you should be real proud of :) I reckon a few months hard work in the gym with a good bit of work on your abs and you'll have a 6 pack in no time, again well done :).

Thank you very much :)

I posted on here very nervous of what i was goijng to hear, as I know people who look after there body would notice the smallest thing, but the responses I've gotten here are fantastic, Im not as stressed about it now, so I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the journey now :)

Just got Insanity workout dvds, Starting tomorrow so hopefully that helps too.

And just as a side note, Im not planing on bulking up alot, I prefer the lean, toned and defined look to big size, so thats my goal :)

Thank you very much :)

I posted on here very nervous of what i was goijng to hear, as I know people who look after there body would notice the smallest thing, but the responses I've gotten here are fantastic, Im not as stressed about it now, so I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the journey now :)

Just got Insanity workout dvds, Starting tomorrow so hopefully that helps too.

And just as a side note, Im not planing on bulking up alot, I prefer the lean, toned and defined look to big size, so thats my goal :)

Have you ever looked on www.bodybuilding.com? They do some brilliant really detailed free workout plans, you select your age, and your goal and you get a list of workout programs they think will suit you.

Some of them have videos you watch every day, come with diet tips and advice etc and are really helpful. It's a site I'd recommend for anyone in the gym to be honest. Has helped me loads and could maybe help you again, but again congratulations. Amazing transformation from the weight you were. Hope you enjoy all the benefits of it now!!

Have you ever looked on www.bodybuilding.com? They do some brilliant really detailed free workout plans, you select your age, and your goal and you get a list of workout programs they think will suit you.

Some of them have videos you watch every day, come with diet tips and advice etc and are really helpful. It's a site I'd recommend for anyone in the gym to be honest. Has helped me loads and could maybe help you again, but again congratulations. Amazing transformation from the weight you were. Hope you enjoy all the benefits of it now!!

I hadn't but I'll have a look now, thanks for that man, appreciate it :)

I hadn't but I'll have a look now, thanks for that man, appreciate it :)

Here's a good place to start

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workoutdatabase.htm

They also have something called Bodyspace where you (as publicly as you want) track all your progress and you will find the motivation you get from some people on there makes all the difference.

Here's a good place to start

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workoutdatabase.htm

They also have something called Bodyspace where you (as publicly as you want) track all your progress and you will find the motivation you get from some people on there makes all the difference.

Thanks ian, i'm going to have a nose there now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think you look great. Fair play in the weight loss. It's a very hard thing to do

I think you look great. Fair play in the weight loss. It's a very hard thing to do

Again thank you! Hopefully if someone is feeling how i was this might help them keep going, its worth it in the end, like 1000%. Im so full of confidence now where as I had ZERO before, its after completely changing my life for the better. Best decision i've ever made :)

Hey guys,
    I'm struggling to eat more than around 2000 kcals a day.

I heard peanut butter is good so i'll try that.

Is there any point in getting some supplements at this stage? And if so, what would you recommend??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Hey guys,
    I'm struggling to eat more than around 2000 kcals a day.

I heard peanut butter is good so i'll try that.

Is there any point in getting some supplements at this stage? And if so, what would you recommend??

peanut butter is good, just remember it is very calorific as it has a lot of fat.

if you eat a well balanced, complete diet you wont need supplements.

get your diet going for a while, use an app like myfitnesspal to record it then after a few week you can see any holes clearly. then try to fill the holes with food sources. If you cant do that then look at a supplement to fill it.

IE, i dont eat fish, so I take glucosamine etc.
    but I eat a metric ton of peppers and onion and beef so i dont really need a multivit.

• Advertisement

peanut butter is good, just remember it is very calorific as it has a lot of fat.

if you eat a well balanced, complete diet you wont need supplements.

get your diet going for a while, use an app like myfitnesspal to record it then after a few week you can see any holes clearly. then try to fill the holes with food sources. If you cant do that then look at a supplement to fill it.

IE, i dont eat fish, so I take glucosamine etc.
    but I eat a metric ton of peppers and onion and beef so i dont really need a multivit.

That makes alot of sense, supplement only what you're not getting in your whole food then?

For example i'll post exactly what I ate yesterday.

Breakfast : Protein shake
    midday : 3 grilled lean rashers and 3 boiled eggs
    post workout: Protein shake
    snack: Banana and a protein bar i picked up while in tesco!
    Dinner: Boiled bacon, cabbage, fresh peas, cauliflower and a small potato
    I drink buckets of water daily too, got into that habit a long time ago.

Ok guys, tell me where and how I should be improving my diet please :)

Advertisement