Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT receipts for new builds?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Can I ask if anyone has done a self Build and after the Build is completed received a letter from the Revenue re VAT and receipts ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

fairky wrote: »
    Can I ask if anyone has done a self Build and after the Build is completed received a letter from the Revenue re VAT and receipts ?

If they were to go down this route it would make for interesting review on how the cost of building was to suddenly jump.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fairky

Its just my brother built a house in 2008 and after completing his build got a letter from the revenue asking about VAT and to produce receipts has anyone else heard of anyone that has got one of these letters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

north or south of the border ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

They do spot checks and the unofficial word is they generally target direct-labour self-builds when there is the most chance of cash-in-hand work being done.

My engineer is pretty particular about me getting VAT receipts from anyone because they are cracking down apparently due to the recession. And I'm using a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Its just my brother built a house in 2008 and after completing his build got a letter from the revenue asking about VAT and to produce receipts has anyone else heard of anyone that has got one of these letters

I'd believe that... the revenue are ruthless these days and there's nothing they would do that would surprise me if they got a sniff of of some cash back.

My attitude is pay your tax no matter how it hurts they will catch up with you in the end and they do they will double down on yo a** when they do.

Friends of mine who were self employed (in the pharma/IT sector atm) or were up to a couple of years ago are being put through the mill atm for claiming mileage traveling to and from their place of work. They are being caught for between some figures I hear of €50-70k with interest and penalties added. These are one man show operations and now out of work more than likely as well.

So be careful

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

If you are given a price for work then that is the price? is it not the responsibility of the tradesman to give 13.5% up?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A few posts above moved from the Prices/costs forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

So is it then the responsibility of the self builder to make sure the trade you employ is tax compliant. I would of assumed that if you were priced say 10k by a block layer it would be his responsibility to pay his VAT contribution from this amount.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

john_cappa wrote: »
    If you are given a price for work then that is the price? is it not the responsibility of the tradesman to give 13.5% up?

NOPE !!!

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/rct/

hexosan wrote: »
    So is it then the responsibility of the self builder to make sure the trade you employ is tax compliant. I would of assumed that if you were priced say 10k by a block layer it would be his responsibility to pay his VAT contribution from this amount.

again, nope..... thats a dangerous assumption to make

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/rct/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Does the word 'Contractor' not exclude the general self-builder, who I presume is PAYE?

If RCT applies, then I would have thought anybody getting even small works done on the home would be in this bucket - bathroom re-tiled, room painted, even the bloody lawns cut!!

tedimc wrote: »
    Does the word 'Contractor' not exclude the general self-builder, who I presume is PAYE?

If RCT applies, then I would have thought anybody getting even small works done on the home would be in this bucket - bathroom re-tiled, room painted, even the bloody lawns cut!!

as far as i know, the definition of a direct labour build in revenue terms means the self builder becomes the PRINCIPLE CONTRACTOR and liable for these taxes.

im not an expert and you should get clarification from revenue on this, but thats what i understand.

obviously the whole idea from revenue is that NO black market 'nixers' occur, so yes, if payment is received for labour given then a tax is liable.

Where self builders are hit is that, when there is a mortgage, there a clear and obvious "out goings" of monies which should be validated.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Good to know - I pay enough tax without getting screwed over because someone else isn't paying theirs!

tedimc wrote: »
    Good to know - I pay enough tax without getting screwed over because someone else isn't paying theirs!

if your hoping to do a "direct labour" build then the link above is vital reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What happens if you kept no receipts for anything.

woodoo wrote: »
    What happens if you kept no receipts for anything.
    You get in heaps o trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

The first point is if you are claiming Mortgage Relief for Tax purposes, if so, if you spend say 100K, you need receipts, including VAT

Secondary, the links already posted, show the ''Self Builder'' is the Main Contractor, and responsible for the ''Tax'' due on the subbies payment, without a C2

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

If indeed the Revenue are targeting self-builds, I would welcome it but they are about 5 years too late.
    I never understood why self-builders were not made to account for every cent of a mortgage. A mortgage of 2-300k is a decent turnover for a small business and it baffles me why direct labour builds are not subject to the same accounting and revenue practices as a business. There should be no cash paid from a mortgage and all transactions should either be by cheque or bank transfer and so be fully traceable. How do banks hand out that sort of money and not want a full set of accounts to show how it was spent?
    It would be great to see Revenue, HSA and Building Control take active interest in direct labour builds as what has been happening for the past few years has been unbelievable to say the least when it comes to the black market, lack of safety on sites and poor standards of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Having been intrigued by this thread, I took a wander through the links and came across this:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-18/18-02-02.pdf?download=true

Can someone please reference the section of this that makes a self builder a principal contractor for rct purposes?

I'm no tax expert but I don't see how this could apply to self builders based on that link.

sas wrote: »
    Having been intrigued by this thread, I took a wander through the links and came across this:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-18/18-02-02.pdf?download=true

Can someone please reference the section of this that makes a self builder a principal contractor for rct purposes?

I'm no tax expert but I don't see how this could apply to self builders based on that link.
    You're correct in what you are saying. Unless self-builders are made to register as a main contractor and RCT, they are under no obligation to be liable for RCT on a sub-contract. I think the initial post has been lost along the way. What I undestood in the OP was that Revenue wanted to see receipts and invoices from contractors and suppliers and that it is they who would be investigated for failing to issue receipts and not declaring payments.
    It would still be a good thing if Revenue were to pay more interest in this sector though.

• Advertisement

kkelliher wrote: »
    If they were to go down this route it would make for interesting review on how the cost of building was to suddenly jump.....

Maybe then we'd get a true and actual cost of some of these miracle houses, which if you believe what you read around here sometimes, that seem to be built and paid for with magic beans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

Maybe then we'd get a true and actual cost of some of these miracle houses, which if you believe what you read around here sometimes, that seem to be built and paid for with magic beans.

Get a contractor from the north of ireland to do the job and you dont have to pay vat

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fairky

But what if all your Trades are from Northern Ireland ? How can the Irish Revenue pursue these ?

daver123 wrote: »
    Get a contractor from the north of ireland to do the job and you dont have to pay vat

Not true
    But what if all your Trades are from Northern Ireland ? How can the Irish Revenue pursue these ?

called cross EU data sharing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

daver123 wrote: »

I dont think that is technically correct. If the contractor exceeds the threshold of work in the south would he not be required to register for vat in the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A self build house is no Different to any expenditure a person makes, i.e. someone paying a person to clean their windows or cut their grass the quantity of work makes no difference. I had this argument with an accountant when I started building, he eventually agreed there is no difference.

The process for stage payment certs is an Engineer with the required qualifications says the work to that value has been completed, that is accepted by the Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Can anyone answer this

1. So how long is a self builder required to keep receipts if revenue decide carry out an audit.

2. If a friend in the construction game carries out a trade and doesn't charge for the labour how does this work.

Thanks

Can anyone answer this

1. So how long is a self builder required to keep receipts if revenue decide carry out an audit.

7 years is the norm - same as you tax return

2. If a friend in the construction game carries out a trade and doesn't charge for the labour how does this work.

Thanks

13.5% of €0.00 is €0.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

fclauson wrote: »
    7 years is the norm - same as you tax return

Where is this coming from?

The link I posted above in my opinion clearly rules out the conclusion reached here that the "self builder" is the "principal contractor" in the vast majority of cases.

Advertisement