Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 56-year-old British woman has been sentenced to death in Indonesia for drugs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I guarantee if we start public executions for drug dealing in Ireland the drug will disappear from our streets very quickly.
    no they won't, the dealers will just invent new ways of smuggling them in and selling to the masses who want them, a greater police presence or legalisation and allow them to be sold in licenced shops will help get rid of the street dealers

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

obey the law. its very clear and EASY to follow. but because shes got white skin she should be allowed special treatment. Muck. She knew the penalty. Wheres all the pleas for the other tanned people who are sentenced to death every year in the same country. Rubbish thought process

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

parc wrote: »
    Biggest fcking lol of a post I've seen in a while

And you so eloquently explained why. Thank you for your excellent points which have totally reshaped my opinions on this topic.

davet82 wrote: »
    if our drinking is anything to go by, most people wouldn't be able to handle it and fcuk it up for everyone else my abusing it
    which would mean more restrictions and people taking more just to go against them (just look at the day before good friday and how people fill up with way more drink then they would any other weekend because the pubs are closed) proves that restrictions will make people do more (sounds strange i know but again think good friday)

When society learns to handle alcohol with all the money it costs our state particularly in health care then we should consider legalising the rest.
    but again as i said i think the way irish and UK society treats alcohol is to do with all the restrictions and people going against them to prove a point.
    I know drugs are easy to get but when you make them easier and socially acceptable more people will do them and the more problems we'll have.
    i think drugs are more socially acceptable then we realise though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AdamOHare

I hope she gets it to be honest. Im sick of hearing about her and listening to all the bleeding heart druggies who want her to walk away scott free just because in their minds what she did isnt a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

i think drugs are more socially acceptable then we realise though.

I think they're more socially available than socially acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

AdamOHare wrote: »
    Im sick of hearing about her and listening to all the bleeding heart druggies who want her to walk away scott free just because in their minds what she did isnt a crime

Yeah!

Like who?

Yeah!

Like who ?

Herself and her kids, but no-one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I am not condoning drug smuggling on any basis, but I do feel that this is too harsh. She hasn't attacked anyone. Can they really impose a death penalty on a British subject? Surely they can intervene to get her deported back to England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Oh the naivety... think of how many murders, assaults, threats, gang warfare and corruption are behind the drugs trade on a daily basis worldwide.
    Why do you consider drug smugling less serious than murder or rape? Do you not realise how many people's lives are destroyed by drugs, how many families are torn apart, how may crimes are comitted by drug addicts, how many people are murdered by drug dealing gangs? People involved in the distribution of class A drugs do an unbelieveable amount of damage to our society. Anyone involved in this business deserves the death penalty.

Have both of you ever considered the possibility that all of the above happens not because of drugs but because of the laws that regulate and criminalise them?

I wonder how many of the hardliners in this thread would keep their draconian hats on if they were sentenced to death for smuggling alcohol into a country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

irish-stew wrote: »
    Break the law, expect the consequences. Where ever it is, what ever country it is.

You obviously care about nobody but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

I doubt that she will get executed. They only sentenced her to death because theyre expecting a lot of money from the UK to save her life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ironbar wrote: »
    I doubt that she will get executed.

As do I.

The country for some time has not executed any foreign nationals and I'm guessing after the appeal process which will apparently take possibly years, her sentence will be commuted if only to keep diplomatic relations open and on good terms with Britain (and possibly the rest of Europe too by effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

It's struck up great interest in their anti drugs policy .
    Can't see her being executed tbh .
    Granny's are afraid to cheak in a boiled sweet now after this publicity .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Although I agree that on some level she deserves it as she should not be exempt from the law, I do feel sympathy for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I hope it eventually comes out as to how much pressure this woman was really under to smuggle the drugs because it didn't take her long to hand the others over . Naturally no family want's to see their mother executed ( even though it's quite possible it won't happen ) and of course she's going to say sorry and apologies to the Indonesian people...she got caught ... but if she had got away with it , sorry and apologizing would have been the last thing on her mind .

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/578760/237564.jpg

^ I know one shouldn't judge people by facial expressions or body language but she has the look of somebody who's only feeling sorry for herself and sorry she got caught .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I find it strange how people can have no sympathy for her. She was certainly stupid bit she ain't Hitler.

I find it strange how people can have no sympathy for her. She was certainly stupid bit she ain't Hitler.

Her old neighbours in Cheltenham probably think she is. They're probably having a street party.

I wonder how many of the hardliners in this thread would keep their draconian hats on if they were sentenced to death for smuggling alcohol into a country

You're assuming that people would be stupid enough to put their lives on the line smuggling anything into a country that lines them up for a death penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Not at all.

Drugs have absolutely ruined modern society with more muggings, burglaries, drug crazed attacks, murders etc.

I think the death sentence should be introduced in more countries for drug dealing.
    Why do you consider drug smugling less serious than murder or rape? Do you not realise how many people's lives are destroyed by drugs, how many families are torn apart, how may crimes are comitted by drug addicts, how many people are murdered by drug dealing gangs? People involved in the distribution of class A drugs do an unbelieveable amount of damage to our society. Anyone involved in this business deserves the death penalty.
    Oh the naivety... think of how many murders, assaults, threats, gang warfare and corruption are behind the drugs trade on a daily basis worldwide.
    Not to make light of rape or murder but generally...

Rape destroys 1 life.
    Murder destroys 1 life + families life.
    Drugs destroys many lives and leads to increases in other crimes commited by addicts.

So please don't trivialise it by saying it's just a few ks's of powder.

Posts like the above are so laughably stupid and naive it actually makes me quite sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

cursai wrote: »
    obey the law. its very clear and EASY to follow. but because shes got white skin she should be allowed special treatment. Muck. She knew the penalty. Wheres all the pleas for the other tanned people who are sentenced to death every year in the same country. Rubbish thought process
    The death penalty for drugs smuggling is obscene, no matter what race the culprit is. I don't see anyone saying she should have special treatment because she's white. We're talking about this incident because it's a current news story. Yes those who smuggle drugs know the price but the fact it warrants the death penalty in the first place is utterly sick. And I don't understand why it's being constantly ignored that drug mules can be forced into it.
    AdamOHare wrote: »
    bleeding heart druggies
    Aspirin addicts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Mehhh, maybe if she was Irish I would feel empathy.

You should check out the BBC comments on the story, 99% of them are she got what was coming to her.
    Also CNN comments are not too pro-granny in her drug larks.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

good enough for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

good enough for her.

Well said Round Tower Huntsman! Maybe if there were more free-thinking spirited intellectuals like your good self the world wouldn't be such a mess.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Death penalty debate aside, what i find extremely unfair is the following:

"Police believe Dougall and Ponder were the lynchpins in a crime syndicate supplying the drug to rich tourists on the island.

It is believed Sandiford, from Redcar, Teesside, decided to co-operate with the police......They told her she would face the death penalty unless she helped trap the other suspected members of the drugs gang.

A sting was set up allowing Sandiford to keep the drugs with her in a £25-a-night hotel room, where she was accompanied by an undercover police officer while she waited to be contacted by one of the others in the alleged syndicate."

So let's see - you have a couple living in a massive villa in Bali off the proceeds of drug dealing, they rope in a vulnerable middle aged woman to do the donkey work, the actual kingpins get 1 year and 4 years respectively, whilst the donkey who co-operated with police to bring down the whole gang, gets death?

What sort of message does that send out to people? I'm not entirely sure if Indonesia has an equivalent of CAB, but if not, the actual dealers will be out in a handful of years back to their plush villa and millions, and the poor fool who was bullied into doing it gets death?

I'm all for tough stances on drugs, but this is a clear case of a logic brain-fart. They want to send yet another message to the world, if you are caught bringing in drugs, you're facing death. Oh and also we don't really give a rats ass about the wider operation just the mule to make an example of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Meanwhile in Ireland a serial rapist walks away free.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,453 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Well said Round Tower Huntsman! Maybe if there were more free-thinking spirited intellectuals like your good self the world wouldn't be such a mess.

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows the laws in Asian countries regarding drugs, she took the risk to make money and got caught.

Save your sympathy for someone who deserves it.

I'm all for tough stances on drugs
    good for you, how are they working out? from what i can see, their not, agree with the rest of your post though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Posts like the above are so laughably stupid and naive it actually makes me quite sad.

Yet another person who fails to enlighten us as to why...

My post was a very broad and general description only. There are an endless amount of different scenarios, so I could only give high level impact statements regarding rape, murder and drugs.

I've seen first hand the devastation or murder and drugs, though admittedly don't know enough about the impact of rape. I can say though that the impact on society from drugs is probably going to be much higher in many cases. Yes...many people who use drugs are otherwise upstanding citizens who don't cause problems/crime. But they are minority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement