Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slurry Agitator

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I`m in the market for a second hand Slurry Agitator. Any recommendations, I will be running it off an 85hp tractor. What should I look out for?
    Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Blue Holland

What size/type of tank are you going to agitate. 100% galvanised if at all posible.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

Grecco wrote: »
    I`m in the market for a second hand Slurry Agitator. Any recommendations, I will be running it off an 85hp tractor. What should I look out for?
    Thks

look for rust , oil leaks around gearbox, a impellar thats not wore out , topfill with valve and fittings and a good drive shaft

• Registered Users Posts: 49 limiter12

An NC 3000 is the only one to consider. Low hp requirement and high output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I have a 3 bay double with 7 foot deep tanks.
    limiter12will an 85hp tractor drive the NC 3000??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 limiter12

I ve attached a snip of the brochure,they are rated for 80 hp up. We use ours on a 390t powers it away not a bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

limiter12 wrote: »
    I ve attached a snip of the brochure,they are rated for 80 hp up. We use ours on a 390t powers it away not a bother.
    Use to run our one on jd 2140 rated as 81hp. Using it today and toted up age of it and reckon its 19yrs old. And reckon its got same again left in it. Fully galvanized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

+1 for the NC3000, finding a 2nd hand galvanised one might be your biggest prob. Run ours off a Fiat 90-90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Lads whats the top fill on these agitators used for??

The top fill can be used to fill tankers with an opening top lid, but is very handy if you need to pump from one tank to another one nearby. Usually you can clip on the suction pipe from the tanker, and aim the end of it to the tank you want to pump to. A lenght of 6 inch sewerage pipe or two, and you can move a hugh amount or water or slurry to another tank, or to the other end or the tank you are stirring. You will only ever forget to close the top valve before starting the tractor once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

The top fill can be used to fill tankers with an opening top lid, but is very handy if you need to pump from one tank to another one nearby. Usually you can clip on the suction pipe from the tanker, and aim the end of it to the tank you want to pump to. A lenght of 6 inch sewerage pipe or two, and you can move a hugh amount or water or slurry to another tank, or to the other end or the tank you are stirring. You will only ever forget to close the top valve before starting the tractor once!

In much the same way that when I was about 14/15 I was spreading a load and the splashplate blocked. I took it off to clean it out without closing the hydraulic valve:o. Needless to say I have never done that since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

In much the same way that when I was about 14/15 I was spreading a load and the splashplate blocked. I took it off to clean it out without closing the hydraulic valve:o. Needless to say I have never done that since.
    we've all done that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

we've all done that ;)
    +1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

Top fill was very handy this year when I had to pump out of a full tank into another not so full tank. I have about 40 meters between tanks and pumped up an incline too using layflat hosing.
    Its a great machine, only complaint is having to take the PTO off when moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

There's a few galvanised NC 3000's on dondeal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Miley2 wrote: »
    Top fill was very handy this year when I had to pump out of a full tank into another not so full tank. I have about 40 meters between tanks and pumped up an incline too using layflat hosing.
    Its a great machine, only complaint is having to take the PTO off when moving

REDROCK or as there called now NEWROCK NO taking of the shaft when moving and there all but bullet proof even contractors swear by them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ally k

nc 3000 the only pump i never take the shaft off when moving from tank to tank make sure the pto handle is in neutral...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Dunedin

+1 :(

me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Dunedin

me too:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

loveta wrote: »
    REDROCK or as there called now NEWROCK NO taking of the shaft when moving and there all but bullet proof even contractors swear by them ;)
    I fit hitching up to the redrock hard enough, having to get the hyd top link to line up and then the pto shaft, especially if you dont have a lot of room to get in between the tractor and have no exterior controls, thats where the NC or Plantmec one wins for me not having to mess around with a top link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

F.D wrote: »
    I fit hitching up to the redrock hard enough, having to get the hyd top link to line up and then the pto shaft, especially if you dont have a lot of room to get in between the tractor and have no exterior controls, thats where the NC or Plantmec one wins for me not having to mess around with a top link

can usually get the redrock on in a few mins without much trouble, its great not to have to take driveshaft on and off when lifting in and out, used to have an old abbey 250 which was a pain of yoke taking shaft on and off all the time

• Advertisement

I usually do not take off the PTO shaft when moving the pump from one mixing point to another. it will usually be about 10 inches off the ground. probally depends on the height your arms lift. Also be carefull your back window dosen't get smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Sorry for hijacking thread OP. Thinking of getting an agitator & tank to do some of our own slurry to use behind cows as paddocks are grazed during the year rather than the current contractor operation spreading it all on silage fields. Might make better use of slurry and cut down on fertilizer costs also would cut down on land damage as spreading could be done over the summer behind cows.

We have an MF 4345 rated 85hp it was replacement to 390 series. Would this be sufficent for running an agitator and what kind would be most suitable. I'd have to have a top fill option as we would empty from tank into an open pit maybe twice a year.

Also what type of tank & size would ye reccomend. We would have no hills to speak of ground would be heavyish. Would the tractor handle a 1600gallon tank and which are the best.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

PN14 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking thread OP. Thinking of getting an agitator & tank to do some of our own slurry to use behind cows as paddocks are grazed during the year rather than the current contractor operation spreading it all on silage fields. Might make better use of slurry and cut down on fertilizer costs also would cut down on land damage as spreading could be done over the summer behind cows.

We have an MF 4345 rated 85hp it was replacement to 390 series. Would this be sufficent for running an agitator and what kind would be most suitable. I'd have to have a top fill option as we would empty from tank into an open pit maybe twice a year.

Also what type of tank & size would ye reccomend. We would have no hills to speak of ground would be heavyish. Would the tractor handle a 1600gallon tank and which are the best.

Thanks in advance

There is a thread on agitators and basically a nc 3000 is the job and suitable for your tractor. 1600 tank would be fine

We once had an Alfa 1000 gallon tanker, and we reckoned it held about 6 tons of slurry. So your tractor with a 1600 gallon would be pulling about 10 tons, plus the tankers weight. Your tyre equipment will be more important than a bigger tractor. A dexta or 35 would pull it on a flat, dry field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We once had an Alfa 1000 gallon tanker, and we reckoned it held about 6 tons of slurry. So your tractor with a 1600 gallon would be pulling about 10 tons, plus the tankers weight. Your tyre equipment will be more important than a bigger tractor. A dexta or 35 would pull it on a flat, dry field.

1000 gallons is 4546 litres. 1 litre of water = 1kg. 1 litre of slurry probably weigh's less because of the solids in it. So the max that 1000gal of slurry will weigh is 2546kg. Add the tank to that and it could in total weigh 6 ton.

1600l of slurry = 7373kg. Tank could put it to a total of 10 ton.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

They say necessity is the mother of invention:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭farmer_dave

Are the Abbey mixers not getting recommended on here? The HTL linkage version is similar to the NC 3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Hi spec agitator here no taking off shaft either easy enough to attach with quick attach could possibly have a bit more blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Blue Holland

Also got hi spec one, galvanised gd as new after 15+ years but def could do with more blow, was never any better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

i have a red rock pump. its about 4 yeards old now. easily enough driven. my ford 5000 (it has a bigger engine) will drive it but normally put it on the f140 and have the 110-90 for drawing it out.

Advertisement