Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2013 **READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lauraaaaa123

Okay guys, here is some of the DEBS HL questions. It was 100% debs as I made sure to check that it had two barcodes on it.

Biology HL DEBS
    Short Questions:
    One was on ecology- be able to draw a pyramid of numbers. Why are pyramids of numbers good? What is the limitation of them?
    One was on nervous system
    One was state 2 differences between DNA and RNA.

Experiment Questions:
    Name two limitations when it comes to using the scientific method
    There was also two questions on the heart. One was like, which part of the four chambers had the thickest walls and the other was why did you cut part of the heart thinly?

Photosynthesis - Light intensity/carbon dioxide exp.
    Draw the graph and be able to label the axis.
    What plant did you use?
    Why did you use an aquatic plant instead of a land plant.

Immobilisation of Enzymes
    What is mean't by immobilisation of an enzyme.
    The exp was INVESTIGATING immobilization of an enzyme.
    Why did you use sodium alginate and calcium chloride?
    Why did you wash the beads first?
    Name a factor that had to be maintained constant.
    How did you maintain it.

Long Questions:
    Viruses! What is mean't by immunity.
    Reproductive system. Be able to draw and label parts of the female reproductive system. The next question was on your diagram point arrows to were 1. egg fertilisation occurs 2. implantation occurs 3. egg production occurs. Also, it was something like (can't completely remember but, what was the hormones progestogen and oestrogen got to do with reproducing. You also had to briefly outline what events occur from the time of fertilisation to implantation.

There was another long question on respiration. You have to write the chemical equation for respiration. What is the function of respiration. What is the difference between aerobic and anaerobic respiration. Also, they asked something on the acetyl CoA.

The ecology question was lovely! What is mean't by pollution and conservation. Outline the effects of pollution from either agricultural OR industrial. There was reading about some plant over in Florida causing damage so they sent insects on it to help the problem out. What was the disadvantage and advantage of using these insects. What is mean't my competition. Using a biological key. Know what plant you used in ecology trip.

Another long question was evolution. I only remember wee bits on this.
    What is evolution? What is variation? Name one of the scientists involved in discovering this.

Long question on plant transportation. Can't really remember it because we didn't do that.

Blood was a long questions. What is the composition of plasma?
    Outline three functions of the liver.

Bones: how do bones grow?
    Give two functions OTHER THAN support for the function of a skeleton.
    Possible symptoms/effects/how to resolve it on either osteoporosis or arthritis

That's really all I can remember. Hope this comes of some use to someone.
    Good luck in your pres! :D

DEBS PAPER ONE IRISH OL!

Blag:
    The weekend
    The importance of the education system
    My favourite place in Ireland.

Sceal:
    I opened a letter that was on the table and I let out a scream....

Email/Letter:
    You want to go to a concert but it's the same time as your exams and your mam won't let you go. Write a letter to your best friend.
    You went on holidays and the hotel or area was dirty.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dale945

Irish Examcraft OL Paper 2:
    Summary of dis, Caca milis, poems are spailipin fanacht mo ghra sa

DEBS HL P1 ENGLISH!

Spoiler:

Comprehensions:
    Comprehension one
    One was on the fella a piece written by Tony Griffin about his admiration and the life of Jim Stynes.

Q1: Based on your reading of the above extract, what impression do you form of Jim Stynes?

Q2: Do you think the 3 visual images that accompany this text effectively capture the different aspects of Jim Stynes' life?
    The first image is of a players on the pitch and one tense looking fellas has the rugby ball.
    The second is a crowd in the stands wearing the team's colours
    The third one is a group of young boys running or playing sports. Like at a Summer camp kinda thing.

Q3. Identify and comment on at least three features of the writer's style which you think contribute to the appeal of this text.
    I wrote that it was descriptive,narrative,informative and persuasive.

The B Question was:
    "...everybody is capable of doing the extraordinary"
    Write the text of a talk that you would give to a group of Leaving Cert students in which you attempt to inspire them to make the most of their lives.

comprehension two
    It's about this girl called Orla Tinsley who wrote an autobiography about having cystic fibrosis. She was actually talking on RTE news yesterday.

Q1. How is the life of a person with cystic fibrosis portrayed by Orla Tinsley in the above text?
    Q2. Based on your reading of the above text, do you find Orla Tinsley to be an inspiring person?
    Q3. What aspects of this text do you consider to be powerful and emotional?

Question B
    "...not ready to be stopped..."
    Imagine you are a reporter for your local newspaper and you wish to interview Orla Tinsley. Write a proposal to your editor in which you explain why you want to interview this person.

Comprehension three
    Joseph O Connor talking about how hard it was for his father growing up. Kinda like an Angela's Ashes kinda thing.

Q1. Which aspects of the writer's relationship with his father emerge most stongly for you in the above text?

Q2. Comment three features of the writer's style which contribute to making this a good example of descriptive writing?

Q3. Do you think the three visual images effectively capture the different stages in the life of the writer's father?

Three black and white images. One is a fictional drawing of a hand reaching out of water to a sword floating in the air. Two is an old photo where a wee boy is sitting on his father's lap reading a story and three is a guy walking a street.

The B question:
    "...picture of my father..."
    Write two diary entries that Joseph O Connor's father, Sean, might have written: one about his life when he was a young person and another about his life when he was a parent with young children.
    Composing.
    1. "....his eyes lifted upwards, looking for the potential in every challenge."
    Write a personal essay about a time in your life when you had to remain positive.

2. "..willing to scratch below their own surface.."
    Write an opinion piece for a popular magazine entitled: "Young people today have lost their individuality."

3. "...the pain of saying goodbye and moving on."
    Write a short story inspired by the above phrase.

4. ".. I started typing and every word hurt\2
    Write a persuasive speech of the issue of freedom of speech in today's world.

5. "This situation is unfathomable."
    Write a personal essay in which you explore the aspects of modern life which you find difficult to understand or accept.

6. "...their ability to dream."
    Write an article (serious and/or light-hearted) for a school magazine on the importance of hopes and dreams in our lives.

7. "As a child I used to imagine their phantoms walking the Liberties..."
    Write a ghost story in which setting/location plays a significant role.

Hope this is of some use to you guys!
    Best of luck in your pres. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ShaunaMoll

Section 1: Q1.Name, describe and discuss the two stone carvings illustrated on the sheet: Newgrange entrance stone and turoe stone. Refer to form, fuctio decoration and techniques. Briefly discuss period.
    Q2. Describe and discuss any two named gold objects from the bronze age. Refer to form, function and decoration. Discuss techniques used and sourcing of raw materials.
    Section 2: The development of romanesque churches occured along four main pilgrimage routes in france. Discuss statement and make reference to the structure, layout and decoration of one named church. Name and discuss briefly one eg of romanesque sculpyure.
    Section 3: Compare your experience of using exhibition catalogues, info sheete, tourist guides and websites to your experience of visiting a named exhibition. In answer make reference to the presentation and layout of one named exhibition.

These are only some of the questions, if you have an questions about the rest just ask! I'm not typing out the other 16 but would be happy to help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Can anyone confirm whether my exam was DEB or Examcraft, it was an aural that had
    something about laws on alcohol, a boy and a girl talking about their jobs, I think he worked in a supermarket in a camp site or something and the very last one was on a man who fell asleep with a cigarette in his hand or something. I can't really remember its been about a week and a half.

Suggested by later posters to be DEB - Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hiiiisam

Are DEB papers blue? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

hiiiisam wrote: »
    Are DEB papers blue? :)

Nope. All ordinary level papers are blue. All higher level papers are pink.

SeanMcG95 wrote: »
    Can you post any questions about early christian Irish art (stone crosses, manuscripts or metalwork) and the Renaissance please?
    the early christian ireland question is:
    'The introduction of christianity to Ireland saw a change in the design and decoration of metal objects. Discuss this statement, naming and referring to the two examples illustrated on the sheet ( Ardagh Chalice and the derrynaflan paten)

I didn't do
    renaissance
    so I don't know which ones are which really so here's a few :)
    Renaissance: Paolo Uccello is credited with deneloping the art of prespective in Florence during the early renaissance. Discuss this statement with reference to his painting ''The Battle of San Romano''. Name and briefly discuss one other work by uccello or by another artist from this period.
    Describe and discuss school of athens by Raphael. Make reference to the subject matter, composition, depiction of space and treatment of the human figure and name and briefly describe one other work by Raphael or by another artist from the high renaissance
    There is also questions on ''primavera'' ''The estasy of saint teresa'' and ''Two ballet dancers in a dressing room''. If you want to know about these just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 clarinsmc00

do you know anything more about short questions and long questions please?

Business DEB HL:
    whats limited liabilty.
    indigenous firms and two benefits.
    intraprenuership and two benefits.
    difference between capacity to contract and consideration.
    whats p21 and p60.
    abq:
    a) evaluate marketing mix in the text abover (4 p's)
    b) i whats ethics?
    ii discuss social responsiblities.
    c)identify oppurtunites and challenegs the business will face when expanding to a global marketplace.

q1) a)whats interest groups? discuss they role of them.
    b)
    c)whats employee discrimination act.
    ii what effectivness will it have in the workplace.

q3) whats an open economy and how does it relate to ireland.
    b)why do ireland benefit from using euro currency.
    c) explain two: CAP, common policy, CFP.

learn ratio formulas and breakevens. sorry there just the q's i did because they were most easy. theres another q on franchising and that chapter. hope i helped and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Helloooo

HL BIOLOGY EXAMCRAFT

Hi, this is all I remember of the exam but hopefully it will help! If you know the answers to all of this you should definitely do well!
    SQ1: Food
    -The only food test you needed to know was the starch one.
    -Be able to name a reducing sugar
    -I think there was something about triglyceride on some part of the exam but I'm not sure!
    -I think you had to be able to give a condition caused by a deficiency in a named water-soluble vitamin.
    -Defining a catabolic reaction was somewhere on the paper too!
    SQ: Bone question
    All about synovial joints
    -Name a fixed joint
    -Give an example of a synovial joint and state where it is.
    -Point out cartilage and synovial fluid on diagram
    -Know that a tendon connects bones and muscles.
    SQ: Homeostasis
    I didn't do it but I think you had to explain the importance of it and there was something to do with the pituitary gland.
    Other SQ;
    -To name a part of the cell that can only be seen under an electron microscope
    -What is a passive process
    -A part of the cell with a permeable membrane
    -Why a plant in deionsed water would become turgid and the importance of a plant being turgid
    -The stain you would use when examining a plant under a microscope
    There was also a short question on Auxins.

The Experiments

The Enzyme Experiment Question
    -What type of biomolecule an enzyme is
    -The reason for using a pH buffer when testing how temperature effects enzymes
    -Define a denatured enzyme
    -The graph for enzyme pH test
    -Name the enzyme used (and where it came from I think)
    -Why you put the yeast in sodium alginate and why you dropped the beads into calcium chloride.
    The Photosynthesis and Respiration Experiment Question
    Light Intensity - The temperature you did the experiment at and why
    -How you measured the rate of respiration
    Yeast Alcohol -Why it had to be done anaerobically and how you achieved this and something about the limewater
    The Yeast Agar Experiment
    I didn't do this so the only part I remember was a control, diagram of apparatus and how did you dispose the experiment and why.

The Long Questions
    LQ: Nutrition
    -Amylase (incl. It's optimum pH, where it's produced)
    -Lipase (i think you need to know where it's made)
    -Final products
    -Mechanical breakdown beyond mouth
    -The part of the small intestine where most of the absorption occurs and know how this part is adapted for the role
    -The role of bile in digestion
    -I think there was a question on what is stored in the liver
    -Something about the veins/arteries entering the liver (I think)
    LQ: Ecology
    Part a) just be able to define parasitism and symbiosis and give an example of parasitism.
    Part b and c -Name the habitat you studied, name an organism from it, define habitat and niche with respect to named organism, give a food chain of four trophics which includes the named organism, give two abiotic factors from habitat, the type of survey you would conduct for animal TYPES. There were also questions on the Nitrogen and CO2 cycles.
    LQ: Genetics
    There were two crosses one about cystic fibrosis (a genetic mutation)
    The theory: define variation, mutation and Explain Mendell's Law of Segregation. There was also a statment along the lines of 'genetic mutations will fade out through generations' and you had to comment on it.
    Other Long Questions
    Photosynthesis and the eye and one other question came up together (two had to be answered)
    The Eye: They gave a diagram and you had to name certain parts [including the suspensory ligament, the lens, and the pupil (one of either sclera, choroid, retina or fovea came up also)].
    You had to be able to explain why there's a blind spot at the optic nerve, how the eye keeps it's shape and know about cones and rods. I think you also had to explain the function of the choroid. They also asked about light being controlled etc.
    The only part I remember from photosynthesis is how ATP is made and they asked about the different stages.
    The last long question had three parts and you had to answer two. This question included reproduction and the human reproduction system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Helloooo

HL Spanish Examcraft:

I'm almost certain this was Examcraft, all my other exams were. There were no barcodes anywhere on the paper though. My aural exam had
    pieces about Shakira and Hudini.
    . Other people on this thread have said the examcraft aural was different though so this may not be Examcraft!

The Carta Formal - I can't remember all the points exactly but it's along these lines.
    You read in a newspaper that some flight routes between Dublin and Spain are being cancelled in the winter. You write a letter to the newspaper telling them:
    -How you feel about this
    -It will be hard for young Spanish and young Irish people living abroad to get home
    -The cost of flights
    -The Irish government should support airline companies
    -It is important that the Irish and Spanish maintain their relationship

The Note
    I didn't do it but it was about wanting to go to a concert with your friend but you had to buy the tickets soon because it was a popular band.

The Diary
    You are organizing a party for your friends and family after the exams. Mention:
    How you feel about this
    You've never organised such a big event before
    What you need to buy for the party
    What you plan to do at the party. There may have been other points but I forget.

The Opinion Question
    'We must care for our enviornment' ('Debemos cuidar nosotros medio ambiente')
    I think the other one was 'We have the right to speak' (It was definetly about rights!)

The Comprehensions
    The first long one was about solving the hunger crisis in Africa.
    The two short ones were about new research on the brain and Madrid have released a new guide book for people with disabilities.
    The last one was about graffiti. The word wall(muralla) may have came up in the translation section as did 'no obstante' and 'riesgo' as far as I can remember.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Economics:

This is what I can remember from Economics, not sure if it's DEBs or Examcraft, forgot to look at the bar-code.
    Short Questions:
    Calculating marginal utilty
    Something about the thoughts of economists (List 3)
    Label an imperfect competition diagram
    Functions of the NTMA
    Importance of profits
    Other ones that are all in exam papers

Q1 Law of demand, give your own example
    Exceptions to it.
    Definitions for - Composite demand curve
    - Effective demand curve
    - Derived demand curve
    Marginal Utitlity Assumptions + Exceptions
    Complete a table of Marginal Utility and some easu questions

Q2 MONOPOLY! Really easy marks if you study previous exam questions on monopoly.

Q3 Elasticity! Simple.

I did question Q6 and Q7 but I can't remember much about them it's all a blur, but if anyone has any specfic questions just ask me and I might remember.

Overall a pretty nice paper if you put some work in!

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mariebob20

Sarahke wrote: »
    Geography:

Do you know if there was a
    population distribution q in the regional?
    Thanks! :)

Geography:
    Don't think so :) then again I can't be sure..
    You get really stuck for time and the first question that looks good to you, you take :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dale945

yep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shalena

There's nothing as bad as when.no one will answer my question! Out of all the people who have done BUSINESS DEB HL! Can Someone not simply tell me the ques 4 and 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

shalena wrote: »
    There's nothing as bad as when.no one will answer my question! Out of all the people who have done BUSINESS DEB HL! Can Someone not simply tell me the ques 4 and 7?

If someone had this info they wouldn post it, if its not here theres nothing you can di, no one is going to post if you dont quit your whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 minniemouse95

Music DEB:

deb is
    tchaik question 1 and ceili band

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Free2be

1star1 wrote: »
    cud u please tell what the talk or report was about in comprehension part?
    English DEB OL:

Yeah the report is
    write a report for you school website in which you talk about your experience of taking a gap year
    and the talk was
    imagine you are on the Irish Paralympics team at 2012 Paralympics, write a talk you would give to a group of students outlining what it felt like to take part in the event

• Registered Users Posts: 6 minniemouse95

dont know, havent done yet. only hints teacher gave

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

1star1 wrote: »
    is there a spreadsheet created where you put info for exafcraft and debs LC mocks side by side and if there is how to find them. please hep me

No.

There was last year, when people followed the rules of the thread and one poster was decent enough to compile it.

This year's posters are getting what they want - a chaotic thread where you can't even search because of the incessant repeated requests.

Is that DEB or Examcraft?
    What's on question 4?
    Someone answer meeee!!!

Can you please spoil the art question on
    primavera
    ?
    Describe and discuss ''Primavera'' by sandro Botticelli, which is illustrated on the sheet. Make reference to its subject matter, composition, symbolism and treatment of the human figure.
    AND name and briefly discuss one other work by Botticelli

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Trying000

Business DEB HL:
    The ratio q
    was q 7
    Breakeven
    was q 8

Happy now?
    You don't have to sound so demanding, a simple please would've been nice

Well your welcome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

how do you do a spoiler?

Read the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 clarinsmc00

ive already posted the whole thing. make an effort to look before you start demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LionelNotMessy

For Irish OL Paper 1 you only do 2 written tasks dont you ?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Xshannymcx wrote: »
    Can you give me hints for HL English ???
    Like poets etc ???

How did your search results turn out? I get 95 results when I search the thread for "English". Read the first post to learn how to search the thread and then look through those results until you get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 skytalker

Elceeney wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone does HL DEBs PhysChem?

hey do you if it is possible to take physics-chemistry for the leaving if i already do chemistry and physics?

skytalker wrote: »
    hey do you if it is possible to take physics-chemistry for the leaving if i already do chemistry and physics?

No it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 forever__young

Music:

My teacher told us that
    the composition and the harmony questions are both minors
    on the music paper... does anyone know what company that is, and anything else about the paper? - Suggested by later posters to be Examcraft - Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement