Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Good stuff. Sure you'll have no problem hitting a PB in DCM. Remember, if you start getting slower, and I keep getting faster, our paths will cross eventually. :P

You speak the truth, when that day arrives prepared to be closed lined :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: JD Plan A - 4 x 2Mile @Tempo

I don't know if it's down to the run in the Kinvaras yesterday, getting a greater amount of rest, or being better hydrated (2 days off the beer!) but the legs felt less niggly this morning than they have for a while. Still tired, just less aches and pains. But today was a day for the Mushas (you were right Meno; the Kinvaras are around 30g lighter (per shoe)). Looking out the window in work, I could see the nearby flags fluttering quite a bit in the breeze, but from September onwards, waiting for a windless day is like waiting for a summer's day in summer.

A 2 mile warm-up took me to the now familiar road to Adamstown. One side effect of the 10k race on Saturday is that my VDOT went up from 60 to 61, so a slightly faster target for tempo runs (5:50/mile).

1st: 2 miles in 11:41, @5:51/mile
    2nd: 2 miles in 11:36, @5:48/mile
    3rd: 2 miles in 11:37, @5:49/mile
    4th: 2 miles in 11:37, @5:49/mile
    Each off of 2 minutes rest.

First one was ok. Second one felt easier, but the sun came out half way through. Stopped for a pee, and decided to take off my shirt (which got tangled in my headphones) so rest was closer to 2:30. Ended up messing with my headphones throughout the 3rd one, which affected my form (lots of ground slapping). Last one was difficult, but it's handy enough to push through tiredness when it's the final lap. Two mile easy run back to work.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:16 (not incl. rests), @6:21

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    I switched to the Kinvara 2's back in Feb and found them so good that I used them for all my runs. Soon afterwards I developed an achilles problem in both legs which may or may not be attributable to the new shoes but I can't help wonder if the lower heel put extra strain on the calves/achilles. It didn't stop me from buying another pair as I think they feel great and I currently have 580 miles on the first pair which I still use for short runs. 18 miles is the farthest I've gone and I'll be running my first DCM in them but if I had my time over I'd have transitioned into them much slower.
    Thanks for the advice Ecoenergy, but no fear on that front. I haven't been able to lay a finger on my achilles for years for all the pain, so any new pain will just blend in with the old pain. :) But will definitely take it easy breaking them in. I am itching to give them a proper run pretty soon, and with just 6.5 weeks to go, I'll have to slip them on for a session or two pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

[ But today was a day for the Mushas (you were right Meno; the Kinvaras are around 30g lighter (per shoe)).

Yeah, the kinvaras are quite a bit lighter than the mushas but seem to have more cushioning (or at least softer cushioning) so I can see why you still feel like the mushas are more of a 'racing' shoe.

Kinvaras are definitely good all rounder for training and racing, but be careful of the calfs/achilles. The heel to toe drop is 4mm less than the Mushas.

BTW which colour did you get? Anything flashy?

menoscemo wrote: »
    BTW which colour did you get? Anything flashy?
    I must confess, when it comes to running shoes, I must be colour blind, cos I really don't give a toss what colours they are. I do find it handy when they are available in a range of colours, as I can distinguish one pair from the next (I had three pairs of Precision12s in orange, so had to write numbers on them to tell them apart). They're some kind of yellow, if that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

They're some kind of yellow, if that helps!

Definitely Flashy. Welcome to the flashy runners club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Great run last Saturday Krusty. You were just unlucky that such a fast field turned up, otherwise definitely top 5 ;)

antomagoo wrote: »
    Great run last Saturday Krusty. You were just unlucky that such a fast field turned up, otherwise definitely top 5 ;)
    Ah sure I've had a few top 5 finishes. But a 34:xx 10k? That for me is something worth fighting for. ..and the ice cream.. That was also worth fighting for... :)

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    Running just six miles in a day feels wrong. I have itchy feet. It feels like I'm cheating, or being weak. Taper is going to be fun this time around. An easy run on post-workout stiff legs, down to the local supermarket to pick up some healthier 'between meal' foodstuffs, which I topped up with a load of junk that arrived into the office. Stupid tasty doughnuts. At least I supplemented the running with 30 minutes of core and weights.

Summary: 6 miles in 47:08, @7:48/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I must confess, when it comes to running shoes, I must be colour blind, cos I really don't give a toss what colours they are. I do find it handy when they are available in a range of colours, as I can distinguish one pair from the next (I had three pairs of Precision12s in orange, so had to write numbers on them to tell them apart). They're some kind of yellow, if that helps!

Ooooo......they're pretty!!!! :)

Today: 6.5 mile run in the pretty shoes ;)

Two miles very easy with Keith (who is heading off for his first triathlon tomorrow) before heading into Grange Castle for a further easy 4.5 miles. Quite breezy out there (which may not suit a lot of the first timer half marathoners tomorrow), but grand for me, on my easy plod. Wore the HRM, and I must be getting really lazy these days. If my HR is around 122 at easy pace (7:20/mile), easy pace should probably be a little quicker. Really liking the 'pretty shoes' (*cough* from a comfort and efficiency perspective) and looking forward to bringing them out for some real running.

Summary: 6.5 miles in 50 mins, @7:42, HR=119

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

KC, your a machine these days! very solid running....going from strength to strength!

seanynova wrote: »
    KC, your a machine these days! very solid running....going from strength to strength!
    Cheers Seanynova! Not feeling machine-like or very strong right at the moment, but appreciate the sentiment!

Yesterday: 13.1 mile steady run pacing the Dublin Half Marathon sub-90 group

Third outing in the Phoenix Park, pacing the 90 minute group and every year the organization gets better and the pacing gets easier. Met up with my fellow pacers beforehand and a better set of bedfellows you couldn't find. Met up with ecoli, who thankfully had opted to race instead of pacing (didn't want him vomiting on my marathon shoes ;)) and great to see Beepbeep returning to full flight. The pacing group was given an air of sophistication by the arrival of the glamourous couple, but that was soon cancelled out when Chinguetti and Ultraman1 showed up. Menoscemo was at a loose end until Ryan's opened it's doors, so was pacing under the watchful gaze of liamo123, while Mr Marthastew and Kurt added an air of seniority to the proceedings, making myself and Surewhynot feel positively youthful. That's me off a lot of christmas card lists.

Backpacks and flags replaced the weather balloons from previous years, in a trial run for the marathon. Backpack/flag combo was very light and were certainly far easier to maneuver than the balloons. Lined-up in the first pen, and it was great to meet a number of boards runners and other runners targeting the 90 minutes. One runner in particular really struck a chord. He told me I had paced him in the half marathon last year. A few weeks later, he suffered a heart attack while running Dublin City Marathon at around mile 12, and was whisked off to hospital, where he had a shunt fitted. Yesterday, he was back for another go, albeit at a more relaxed level. Gas!

The actual pacing went really well. I hadn't bothered with a warm-up or warm-down, in order to try and reduce the overall mileage (how dumb can you be?). By mile 4 my left calf muscle started to form a knot, and it got worse and worse as the race went on. Really not a smart move. After the second mile, were were 12 seconds down on our target pace because of the hill and stupid runners starting in the wrong corral, but SureWhyNot and I had made it back over the ensuing miles, and by mile 10 we were 11 seconds ahead of plan. As is to be expected, we lost a chunk of runners on the hills but also had a surprisingly large group once we crested the final hill. At 12.5 miles many of the runners took the proffered advice and headed for home, many with big beaming smiles and a final lease of renewed energy as they struck for home. Others needed a bit of hollering to keep 'em ticking over, but holler we did and many answered the call.

We crossed the finish line after slowing for a bit to grab some stragglers, in 1:29:44 (1:30:09 gun time), so bang on the money. Delighted for all the lads at the top of the field who had fantastic results, including Tunguska, Kiwirunner, TRR, ecoli, cwgatling and Ray, as well as the folks from the other waves, who seemed to have hit their targets admirably. Nice to meet up with some of the folks in Ryan's afterwards, where I called 'tax' on my abstinence and enjoyed a lovely Galway Hooker or two, before having to head home to rescue my princess from gymnastics.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:29:46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Nice to meet up with some of the folks in Ryan's afterwards, where I called 'tax' on my abstinence and enjoyed a lovely Galway Hooker or two

must ...... not ........ make ........ childish joke .......... about hookers .......... Very hard ..................... "thats what she said" :D

Today: 16 miles with 12 miles @PMP

Right, I'm a dumb-ass. I should have listened to the voice of reason (theboyblunder) and either put this one off, or shortened/adapted it based on doing the previous day's 13 mile steady run and the sore calf muscle. But I didn't. Instead, I decided to go for the heroics and forged ahead. Plotted a 5 mile loop that started 2 miles away, seemed to have a scattering of hills, drags and a nice downhill towards the end of the loop. Plan was 19 miles, with 15 of them at planned marathon pace (6:09 - 6:13/mile). Looking out the window, the wind seemed calm, but yr.no was reporting 8m/s. Grabbed a bottle of Powerade and headed for the start of the loop.

The first 2.5 miles were along the N11, and it was only when I started that I realized I'd be facing the brunt of that 18km wind head-on. Lost a few seconds/mile into that wind, and then had a short hill climb, before another drag which still seemed into the wind. A brief downhill/respite and a 30 second stop for a quick drink, and it was onto the second loop and another 2/5 miles along the N11 into the headwind. All the time, the knot in my calf was getting more and more painful and I started to develop a headache, which over the next couple of miles got worse and worse.

After 12 PMP miles (14 miles in total) I was fooked. My gait had a pronounced limp, my head was killing me, and I was shagged. I managed another .4 of a mile into that head-wind for the third time, before I thought about it and realized the futility of trying to push on any further. I was really going to screw up my calf and there was something else wrong (I never get headaches). I jogged the two miles back to the house, a little disgusted. I don't recall the last time I didn't managed to complete a session, but it's been more than a year. Frustrating, but not the reason for my disappointment. It's more the need to have everything go exactly to plan. You have a few good races, a few good training sessions, and you get lulled into a sense of indestructibility, while common sense gets neatly folded and put away in a drawer. Well, a few lessons learned.

The outcome was still good (longest PMP run I ever completed (by a whopping 0.4 miles!) and my calf is still knotted, rather than torn (but needs some work). I drank a couple of liters of water on my return and stood on the scales, and I had lost 7 pounds, so the headache was caused by dehydration. Not quite sure how I can manage a PMP training session of 15 miles while getting a lot more water into the system without taking big breaks (to get more liquids) but I'll have to think of something for the next PMP run in a few weeks time.

Summary: 16 miles in 1:45@6:35/mile, with 12.4 PMP miles @6:13/mile

TRR wrote: »
    must ...... not ........ make ........ childish joke .......... about hookers .......... Very hard ..................... "thats what she said" :D
    Ah it's just too easy isn't it? The brewery's facebook page had had every single cringey cliche imaginable. The truth of the matter is that Galway Hookers aren't even from Galway. They're from Roscommon... Durty lying hookers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hard luck KC. Still a damn good run though. You stopped before doing damage too.

PMP run drinks are a tough one for me as well. What I settled on is running the PMP on a loop and stopping (quickly) for stashed water while leaving the watch running. If I drink every 5-6 miles this works out at losing 3 secs per mile over the course of the PMP part, which is more or less what you 'lose' in the race because the garmin measures the race as 26.4X miles etc.

Hard luck KC. Still a damn good run though. You stopped before doing damage too.
    I have a touch of sunburn today (enhanced singlet tan) which goes some way towards explaining the dehydration and weight loss. Will definitely figure something out for the next one. Might bribe one of the kids to stand outside the estate every 20 minutes with a bottle. That's the tragedy of kids growing up. They no longer want to help. They just wanna get paid. :o

Today: 10 miles very easy
    After a generous coating of neurofen gel, lots of foam rolling and wearing of multiple pairs of compression socks, I got the feeling that I could run, if not very quickly. Wanted to see if I needed to make an appointment with the pain-bringer (decision withheld). Headed out to Corkagh ark in shorts and a t-shirt, immediately aware that I was very much under-dressed for the occasion. Feckin freezing. Fear not though, this is Ireland. After 30 minutes of sleety type rain and freezing winds, the sun came out, and I was blissfully aware that I was over-dressed for the occasion. One further shift back to freezing again, and I was done, some 10.2 easy miles later. During this time the calf played ball and was only a minor annoyance. So I know I can run easy on it.. The only problem will be running fast. With a session on Wednesday and a long run this weekend, got to get it sorted out soon.

Summary: 10.2 miles in 1:18, @7:40/mile, HR=117

Hey there KC!! Question - how do you like the Jack Daniel's plan so far?? I'm totally bored out of my mind with what I've been doing and will definitely need to "spice" things up for that spring marathon I've signed up for. ;) I've noticed some interesting "structure" to some of your runs - and I've noticed the same "creativity" from a few others like Meno and Ecoli. Any way...I'm just thinking ahead....trying to decide if I take the bones of what I've been doing (three key sessions then recovery/cross train the other days which suits me well) and alter some of the key sessions (mainly tempos and LSRs) ala the Clown-Meno-Ecoli OR find another plan all together. THANKS!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey there KC!! Question - how do you like the Jack Daniel's plan so far?? I'm totally bored out of my mind with what I've been doing and will definitely need to "spice" things up for that spring marathon I've signed up for. ;) I've noticed some interesting "structure" to some of your runs - and I've noticed the same "creativity" from a few others like Meno and Ecoli. Any way...I'm just thinking ahead....trying to decide if I take the bones of what I've been doing (three key sessions then recovery/cross train the other days which suits me well) and alter some of the key sessions (mainly tempos and LSRs) ala the Clown-Meno-Ecoli OR find another plan all together. THANKS!! :)
    Hi there Dory Dory, I reckon the JD plans would be similar enough to your current regime, albeit with a different type of quality session. Having said that, the JD plans are not the kind of thing you enter into lightly, as you would want to have a decent base of mileage before beginning the plan (e.g. 60 mpw for Plan A and 90+ mpw for the Elite Plan). I would imagine that doing that kind of mileage might require some compromise on your part, in terms of hitting the indoor bike/trainer etc.

P&D on the other hand has training plans based on specific mileage targets (e.g. 55 mpw) which might be more manageable and fit it with your current multisport regime. However, P&D is very rigid in terms of schedule, and prescribes training for every day of the week. I'm pretty sure the lower mileage plans include a rest day every week and some recovery runs, which you could substitute for cycle/swim (or do easy doubles). If you want me to send on some examples from these plans, drop me a PM.

• Advertisement

Sending pm....

Evening: 5 miles easy/recovery
    A handy 5 miles while waiting for my eldest to finish football training. Good to bring the total to 15 miles on a Monday, even if it was a little on the easy side. Take a little pressure off of the rest of the week.
    Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:37/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

HR=117

:eek: - 117 over 10 miles! could that really be correct? You really are a machine Krusty! I know everyone is different but if I averaged 117bpm over 10 miles I'm pretty sure I would be technically departed from this life! :D

wrstan wrote: »
    :eek: - 117 over 10 miles! could that really be correct? You really are a machine Krusty! I know everyone is different but if I averaged 117bpm over 10 miles I'm pretty sure I would be technically departed from this life! :D
    See there's no correlation between distance and heart rate. There is, however, a direct correlation between heart rate and laziness (a commodity which I have in abundance). 119 for a pace of around 7:40 wouldn't be uncommon for me. Probably a result of being a lifelong asthma sufferer, where oxygen deprivation has always been a regular feature, rather than an occasional surprise visit. A form of permanent tempo training. Some day Asthmatics might not be allowed to complete with able bodies athletes. We'll have our own events, where we compete to win the coveted inhaler. :)

Today: 10 mile easy run
    Calf muscle is getting better with every run, but I'll probably undo all that repair with tomorrow's session, but for today, it felt pretty good. Needed to pay a trip to the post office (there was a time not so long ago I would have driven), so I wrapped my parcel in plastic (to avoid shredding the packaging with sweaty friction) and headed off along the canal. Another roll of the dice day, as the weather shifted from freezing and wet to sunny and hot in mere seconds and my mood shifted just as rapidly, as I went from cold despair to sunny outlook. Still, I managed another 10 miler, which takes the pressure off for this evening, where an easy 5 miles will do the job.

Summary: 10 miles in ~1:15, @~7:31 (had Garmin issues)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

wrstan wrote: »

I'm a firm believer in 'range' of heart rate being a good indicator of quality of training i.e the ability to hit low heart rates and high heart rates shows you are taking the easy days easy enough and hitting the hard days hard. When you have a 'narrow' range of heart rates, its a sign you are not taking things easy enough on 'easy' days.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Getting peculiar (mostly higher than expected average) HR on runs over the last 2 weeks. The battery in the HRM hasnt been changed since I started using it most days over the last 6 months. It sat in the box unused for a couple of years before that. Could it be an indication that the battery is failing? Or am I losinhg fitness immediately before a target marathon? :)

gringo78 wrote:
    I'm a firm believer in 'range' of heart rate being a good indicator of quality of training i.e the ability to hit low heart rates and high heart rates shows you are taking the easy days easy enough and hitting the hard days hard. When you have a 'narrow' range of heart rates, its a sign you are not taking things easy enough on 'easy' days.
    Gringo's back! :)
    Rolex_ wrote: »
    Getting peculiar (mostly higher than expected average) HR on runs over the last 2 weeks. The battery in the HRM hasnt been changed since I started using it most days over the last 6 months. It sat in the box unused for a couple of years before that. Could it be an indication that the battery is failing? Or am I losinhg fitness immediately before a target marathon? :)
    Do you have a link to an activity? Generally speaking, if the battey's on the way out, you'll have spikes and troughs, rather than a consistent reading.

Gringo's back! :)

Do you have a link to an activity? Generally speaking, if the battey's on the way out, you'll have spikes and troughs, rather than a consistent reading.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/224361435
    Spikes in the last 2 miles just due to 100m strides x 8 at end of each lap. The 5 miles before that were a 7.30 easy pace which would normally not get the HR above 144-145. Similar pattten noted last 10 days or so. 2 weeks to marathon, not sick or injured. Tapering uneventfully. No spikes and troughs really though? (other than those caused by jacking up the pace).
    Strange...

• Advertisement

PS My 70% of HRR=151. I'd usually have to run 7:00 per mile to get up to 150 BPM

Advertisement