Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

03-08-2012, 19:05   #16
pwurple

You're not a single parent if you live together. If you claim you are, that's fraud.

Marriage is a legal mechanism to do accomplish what long term couples normally want to do. Be eachothers next of kin. Inherit from eachother. Be offical parents of the children.

The current sitting government makes new laws. These laws are pretty old, and have little or nothing to do with the current govt.

It sounds to me like your understanding of what a marriage is, ends at the wedding.
Advertisement
03-08-2012, 19:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmug View Post
Maybe permission is not the right word, but the govt have way too much control over people's lives IMO. See the list another poster gave! None of that should be in the hands of the govt.
What are you advocating? An anarchist system?

Say you die without any state recognition of your marriage. Who decides that your solely-religiously-recognised-wife gets your inheritance instead of your siblings or parents? How does a hospital decide who to let in to visit a sick person? Why on earth shouldn't the government provide tax and health benefits to married couples?
Thanks from:
03-08-2012, 20:20   #18
GeorgeBailey

Quote:
Maybe permission is not the right word, but the govt have way too much control over people's lives IMO. See the list another poster gave! None of that should be in the hands of the govt.
So who should take care of all that?
04-08-2012, 00:53   #19
rainbowtrout

Quote:
This is just daft. If you have children with your partner and the relationship breaks up, and they up and leave with the children, either to another part of the country or abroad, how are you going to get access to your children?

In terms of the hospital visitation thing, it's not just going to be about visitation. If you end up on life support or some type of surgery has to be carried out and you are not capable of making the decision yourself who's going to do it? It's not practical to say 'I'll make a list of people, and my spouse who I am married to in the eyes of God but not the state will be on the list' Hospitals don't have time to check documents you may or may not have created for such purposes. They also can't have any randomer walking in to ICU saying they are related to a patient and demanding that they see them and make medical decisions on their behalf.

You know, most of these things have come about and been written into law because they protect people, it's not about control.
04-08-2012, 05:46   #20
Senna
Habitual User

Quote:
Well thats the problem. A lot of people are not getting married exactly because they're better off staying as single parents. Hence the govt bring in legislation to steer people towards legal marriage to avoid scams etc., this turns into control, ie compulsion to be legally married or else suffer the consequences, and therefore it turns people like yours truly away from wanting to be "legally" married, yet still wanting to be married in the eyes of God. Its a viscious circle. The whole legal system needs an overhaul, but thats a story for another thread .
An overhaul so its easier for people to scam tax payers?

There are many ways that the government can control your life, but registering a marriage protects the couple and any family the results, there is no down side unless you do want to commit fraud.
Advertisement
07-08-2012, 08:23   #21
John Mason
Hosted Moderator

HMod: PFJ
You want to get married and still claim your one parent family allowance- is that right ?

for a start, if you are living with with your partner and claiming this, you are robbing me and i dont take too kindly to that.

i work with a girl who got married abroad and didnt register her marriage in Ireland, so she could continue claim her OPFA. Is now getting divorced and is completed screwed, she completely deserves everything she gets in my opinion.

I am also assuming you are religious person, who lives by the doctrene of your religion, therefore you would be aware fraud and stealling are sins and the rammifications of this.
07-08-2012, 09:13   #22
tatli_lokma

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbird View Post
I am also assuming you are religious person, who lives by the doctrene of your religion, therefore you would be aware fraud and stealling are sins and the rammifications of this.
sounds more to me like they just want a day out, but none of the other obligations or responsibilities that goes with it. If one were particularly religious, then as you say, fraud and stealing would be incomprehensible, as would living together when not married, pre-marital sex etc etc.

As I say, sounds more like they want a 'wedding' but not a marriage.
People on here have been slated for wanting to get married to avail of tax credits - being told they were diminishing the importance of marriage. This is no different - this person doesn't 'really' want to be married so that they can retain state benefits but wants to have a day out, which to me makes a mockery of the whole idea of marriage.
Thanks from:
07-08-2012, 20:23   #23
Zaph
Commander of The Internet

The OP has another thread on this subject here, so I'm closing this one. If you feel like posting on the other thread, please note that it is in the Christianity forum where the posting rules may be different to here, so I suggest you read the charter first.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed