Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2012, 16:26   #16
BigDuffman

Take over a grocery wholesaler the likes of musgraves, mangans etc at the earliest possible opportunity. Barricade. Wait.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 16:38   #17
nujeebaby

Id get myself to Waterford Castle, it's an island not too far from the city and you gotta take a ferry to get there. It has a golf course that could easily be turned into farmable land as well as a castle to hold up in and a few houses for when more people need shelter.
One of the biggest problems that would need to be addressed is getting yourself a decent amount of guns and ammo,
(2) thanks from:
01-05-2012, 17:35   #18
degrassinoel
Assume the position

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuffman View Post
Take over a grocery wholesaler the likes of musgraves, mangans etc at the earliest possible opportunity. Barricade. Wait.
Bacardi Barricade! Oh yea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujeebaby View Post
Id get myself to Waterford Castle, it's an island not too far from the city and you gotta take a ferry to get there. It has a golf course that could easily be turned into farmable land as well as a castle to hold up in and a few houses for when more people need shelter.
One of the biggest problems that would need to be addressed is getting yourself a decent amount of guns and ammo,
That sounds perfect!
01-05-2012, 18:28   #19
Zomg Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujeebaby View Post
This is Ireland, so don't get your hopes up on that front. Only way that'll happen is if you find a group of undead Defence Forces lads who didn't use much of their rounds or if you can successfully get into a military base that will most likely already be a survivor's den/picked clean.

Even if you did get a worthwhile amount of firearms and ammo, you'd have to know how to operate and maintain those guns. If you manage to find a gun, by all means take it, but you'll want to get used to the fact that you'll be getting most of the dirty business done with a hurley, not a Benelli.
(2) thanks from:
01-05-2012, 19:22   #20
nujeebaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomg Okay View Post
you'll want to get used to the fact that you'll be getting most of the dirty business done with a hurley
Just got a mental image of people defending themselves with hurleys
Well it would be nice to have a gun or 2 just incase.
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 00:20   #21
Tzar Chasm

A more optimistic outlook on the weapons front wouldnot be unwarranted.

During the 90's there was a fella called De'Chastalaine he made a huge list of where 'all' the weapons were hidden in this country, if you take it as a conservative estimate that he may have seen half of them that's still a lot of firepower squirreled away
02-05-2012, 03:28   #22
shedweller

Been thinking about this lately. Was in Bunratty castle with the kids and thought it would be perfect (for a large group) to defend against zombies.
All the castles around Ireland could do the job fairly well long term as well. Some are small enough and more suited to smaller groups.
Dun Aengus on the aran islands could do, if you had a boat. Double safety! Sure the thing is made for the job!

Having said that, a lot of other people would be thinking the same thing. So it would be first come first served!
Thanks from:
02-05-2012, 10:48   #23
nujeebaby

Id say safety wise getting to these places would be quiet hard between getting petrol and food to get you there. Who's to say the people there will help you, trust you or just shoot you?
You'll need something or a skillset such as being a nurse/doctor to be valuable to them
Thanks from:
06-05-2012, 21:09   #24
Thrace

Its worth while to scout out secure buildings or islands and make a map. Places without water are just high visibility prison cells unless you have your own army. Its possible the real army will have eyeballed those anyway so think abandoned, out of the way.

If you had a trusted friend who had a big boat/trawler it would be the safest temporary dwelling possible as long as you had enough supplies/equipment. I say trusted because as supplies dwindle..well..I'd like to be able to sleep with both eyes shut..

Theres also a third alternative imo - underground. There are tunnels under many towns and cities and abandoned mines are plentiful. Few know about town tunnels as most are sealed up and I've never found out their purpose. Dry as a bone though with cans from the 40's.

Invisibility or just simply not being around populated areas will be the key to survival.

Last edited by Thrace; 06-05-2012 at 21:13.
Advertisement
07-05-2012, 22:39   #25
Leftyjrjr085

It depends if were talkin' slow Zombies like Resident Evil or Fast Zombies like 28 days later. For me I just go anyplace where there's no meat. I think some Zombies can smell meat. (Depending on what were talkin about) Also first post on Boards
(2) thanks from:
08-05-2012, 01:38   #26
Gandalph

I dont know were on earth I would go, I always think to myself get on a boat but realistically I wouldnt know what I was doing, prob get eaten while trying to start the damn thing!
08-05-2012, 11:57   #27
Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalph View Post
I always think to myself get on a boat but realistically I wouldnt know what I was doing, prob get eaten while trying to start the damn thing!

Same as that. Rubber water wings for us so.

I wish I had a boat now, I'd be in Barbados. This cold weather is crap.

Realistically I'd love to stay in my house if anything happened. I've plenty of wire mesh to cover the windows n doors. Unfortunately 50c worth of petrol would put an end to that plan.
Thanks from:
08-05-2012, 13:16   #28
ScumLord

http://www.claregalwaycastle.com/

Claregalway castle is almost coming to completion, maybe. It's got a river beside it, high walls on the road side and a great view. Should be ideal.
Thanks from:
12-05-2012, 15:56   #29
Yakult

Bere Island. Would probably become some sort of settlement due to size with plenty of shelter and land/water to work off.
http://www.abandonedireland.com/bf.html
(2) thanks from:
12-05-2012, 16:03   #30
Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
Bere Island. Would probably become some sort of settlement due to size with plenty of shelter and land/water to work off.
http://www.abandonedireland.com/bf.html
Some site Wish I had a full map of abandoned places in Ireland.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion