Is it disrespectful to walk on people's graves? - Page 7 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Is It Disrespectful To Walk On Someone Else's Grave??
Yes 256 66.84%
No 127 33.16%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-04-2012, 19:27   #91
Agricola
Registered User
 
Agricola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gobbler's Knob
Posts: 4,500
It is either disrespectful or is it isnt. Like in the way, saying "You're a cnut" is universally seen to be disrespectful.
But in the his case, walking alone through a graveyard taking shortcuts is disrespectful, but on the day of a packed funeral, 100s of people climbing all over graves is no bother at all.
Agricola is online now  
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 19:28   #92
DERPY HOOFS
Banned
 
DERPY HOOFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 116
Well when i am dead i would not care but it is disrespectfull
DERPY HOOFS is offline  
30-04-2012, 21:01   #93
Pushtrak
Registered User
 
Pushtrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Limerick/Cork
Posts: 4,530
It doesn't matter, it's primitive superstition. Akin to those people who say they'd donate certain things, but they wouldn't donate their eyes. As if the use of ones eyes is something that will matter when you are dead.
Pushtrak is offline  
30-04-2012, 21:28   #94
true-or-false
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushtrak View Post
It doesn't matter, it's primitive superstition. Akin to those people who say they'd donate certain things, but they wouldn't donate their eyes. As if the use of ones eyes is something that will matter when you are dead.
Respect and good manners aren't physical absolutes, they're tactful, good sense, and show interpersonal skills. If it's a superstition, so what? It shows respect to the people who do care and it takes no terrible effort.

If you think you need a reason like "because the dead will rise up and kill you and be all angry and stuff", then there's something you're seriously overlooking. You shouldn't need a reason to be considerate when it's not going to cost you anything.
true-or-false is offline  
(3) thanks from:
30-04-2012, 21:43   #95
Pushtrak
Registered User
 
Pushtrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Limerick/Cork
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by true-or-false View Post
Respect and good manners aren't physical absolutes, they're tactful, good sense, and show interpersonal skills. If it's a superstition, so what? It shows respect to the people who do care and it takes no terrible effort.
It takes less effort to not care one way or the other. It isn't as if I go out of my way to walk on graves. Hell, it isn't as if I find myself near them all that much, so don't lose sleep over it.
Quote:
If you think you need a reason like "because the dead will rise up and kill you and be all angry and stuff", then there's something you're seriously overlooking. You shouldn't need a reason to be considerate when it's not going to cost you anything.
I think one should treat others as they themselves would like to be treated. So, when I see a topic that is vacuous, I tend to treat it as such.
Pushtrak is offline  
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 21:51   #96
Old Tom
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobe View Post
But in reality we are all dead, does it matter?
Nah you're grand. You can even piss on them. Sure they're all dead and don't mind, do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobe View Post
Especially if the grave is over 100 years old?
Ah if it's a 100 years old grave you can even have a dump on one, who cares, why bother and all that...
Old Tom is offline  
30-04-2012, 22:04   #97
44leto
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,083
For everyone that is alive there are 15 dead, that is 120 billion dead, so the chances are you walk on someone's grave everyday. Another question you could ask about that figure where are all the ghosts.

Did you ever wonder why the land is always high around church grave yards, now you know.
44leto is offline  
30-04-2012, 22:27   #98
shopaholic01
Registered User
 
shopaholic01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,677
[QUOTE=Pushtrak;78430333]It doesn't matter, it's primitive superstition. Akin to those people who say they'd donate certain things, but they wouldn't donate their eyes.


You will need them to look up at the assh*les who walk on your grave, you just won't have the heart to react.
shopaholic01 is offline  
30-04-2012, 22:41   #99
budgese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,074
My grandmother and uncle were cremated so when were burying his ashes, in a tiny graveyard that only has plots for ashes, tiny plots back to back with only narrow paths in between rows; entire family tried to cram round one small plot, we inevitably ended up standing on other graves... not trampling the flowers and messing them up or anything; freaked my brother right out when he realised. I don't see any disrespect in what we were doing that day, nor would I be annoyed if I happened by the graveyard while another family was having a burial and was standing on their grave.

But if you can walk around it, then it's just curtesy and respect!
budgese is offline  
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 22:42   #100
YFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44leto View Post
For everyone that is alive there are 15 dead, that is 120 billion dead
I thought that there are more people alive now then there was ever in the past.
YFlyer is offline  
30-04-2012, 22:48   #101
looksee
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,348
It depends on the intent. It doesn't bother me that someone might walk on my grave (at some point in the long distant future), but I would not deliberately walk on someone's grave, its sort of 'their - or their relatives' - space'. If you are inside an old church there is every chance you are walking on bodies as important (or rich) people were often buried within the building.
looksee is offline  
30-04-2012, 23:17   #102
GarIT
Registered User
 
GarIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFlyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44leto View Post
For everyone that is alive there are 15 dead, that is 120 billion dead
I thought that there are more people alive now then there was ever in the past.
But people go back to like 35000bc that just a guess from what I remember from JC history.
GarIT is offline  
01-05-2012, 03:20   #103
PickledLime
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarIT View Post
So I'm a gobsheen am I? That's nice. I think you should get off your high horse of respect before you start calling names.

Stop presuming how other people will think. I buried someone very close to me just over a year ago but I still think its a pile of bones in a wooden box in the ground. I know that the dead person won't notice so it doesn't bother me in that respect. To quote another poster I don't "show respect to silly religious beliefs". Although I wouldn't walk across a grave not out of respect but just not to offend anyone or cause myself trouble. Maybe that is respect, but for the living, not a corpse.

As for posters who go and call names and make presumptions without reading into the situation "they should probably look up the terms 'morals' and 'respect' because they clearly have neither."
Well if you think it's okay to just trundle across people's graves then the answer to your question is a resounding 'yes'. In my book people who do not display respect in the first place have no right to expect to be shown any, so i'm quite happy to sit on my high horse.

I feel the exact same way, it is just a pile of bones in a wooden box (i'm a staunch atheist, so the religious meaning and connotations have zero weight with me). But you know what? That pile of bones was someone's mother/father/sister/brother/whatever, and the grave is special to those people, so it's not acceptable to walk across it for no reason.

I clearly hit a nerve with you, much like the thread title did with myself.
PickledLime is offline  
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 03:25   #104
LH Pathe
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,483
If you have the utmost respect and consideration for who's buried there, you can dig the corpse up n defile it for all I care
LH Pathe is offline  
01-05-2012, 06:14   #105
Galwayguy35
Registered User
 
Galwayguy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Galway
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickledLime View Post
Well if you think it's okay to just trundle across people's graves then the answer to your question is a resounding 'yes'. In my book people who do not display respect in the first place have no right to expect to be shown any, so i'm quite happy to sit on my high horse.

I feel the exact same way, it is just a pile of bones in a wooden box (i'm a staunch atheist, so the religious meaning and connotations have zero weight with me). But you know what? That pile of bones was someone's mother/father/sister/brother/whatever, and the grave is special to those people, so it's not acceptable to walk across it for no reason.

I clearly hit a nerve with you, much like the thread title did with myself.

+ 1

I totally agree, this is nothing to do with religious beliefs. It's someones family member(s) and it baffles me that some people can't see that.
Galwayguy35 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet