Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/T Weight Loss April 13 to June 1

Options
  • 13-04-2012 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Now unlike those on the fitness forum we will have guideline and not rules as those training for larger races have different needs and a naughty reward can help focus us towards finishing that extra mile etc in training or a race.

Also there is no point doing anything today that you can't see yourself doing in 6 months or a year. We are all trying to create a new us and some lifestyle changes will get us there quicker than a list of RULES !

So we'll weigh in each tuesday and try to do it at the same time each week. As in morning or evening.

We'll ask you to post at the start with a short bio, fitness goal and starting weight in total pounds.

Then a weekly update with starting weight and current and how your week went training wise etc. We'll then do a table each week showing how all are doing ( not a leaderboard as this isn't the biggest loser )

Also you must measure each week as muscle weighs more than fat and if you lose fat and replace it with muscle you can gain on the sacle but lose inches off your body. We'll just do 2 inches updates in the middle and at the end.

Below you'll find some help on measuring, how to prepare and on diet ( these are thanks to g'ems )

How to Prepare
    Measurement Guidelines
    Diet I
    Diet II
    Diet III

You may want to reference the Fitness:The Basics (Incl Diet and Nutrition) thread aswell as it's another great thread put together by the fitness forum guys. Transform has some good videos on that thread too which might have people more inclined to follow the no junk food guideline.

Here are the guidelines

1. eat healthy - take the healthy option when possible
    2. keep well hydrated
    3. keep a food diary and read labels on food to see what in your food.
    2. exercise and prepare properly for your race
    3. Limited booze, junk food and caffine
    4. don't starve yourself the day of/before a weigh in
    5. Measure your body as you can stay the same on the scales but can loose inches
    6. Weigh yourself at the same day and time each week were possible as your weight can change a lot during the day.
    7. Your only in competition with yourself so jut because someone loses 2 pounds more than you don't get down over it.
    8. Never mind "no pain no gain".......i rather "no effort to gain"
    9. Share youe experiences, good and bad. They can help others and we can help you.

So let the fun begin !

You can join in anytime over the peroid and remember your doing this for yourself in the long run ( excuse the pun )

Link to the Google Doc, thanks to Couerdelion

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApMebEFzfFjMdDR3LVRwUklwT1oyMDZ1WEJjVk5WYUE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm in again..........just saw this before a morning run!!!Great start........

Starting weight 202lb,91.6 kgs..

Aim to get to 88/89 kilos bfore May 13th,10km race

Bio-male 34,was once 20.5 stones ish..1 year jogging/running..
    Hope to do a 49 min 10km in May and Hopefully train for a local 1/2 in August but thats a bit off.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'll sit this one out - after embarrassing myself last time round by actually gaining half a pound :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Google doc is up !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Google doc is up !
    Link no work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I'm also in

Starting weight 186lbs 84.5KG

Aim to get to 79/80 KG (174lbs) before June 17th,10km race

Bio-male 42,was once 18 stone and have been jogging/running for 8 months
    Hope to do a 50 min 10km in June and train for a my second 1/2 in September and do it in about 1:55 and maybe DCM in October (can't get my head around spending 4 hours or more running).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I'm in again. 1lb up from where I left off last time thanks to eating too many easter eggs. Starting weight is 14st 2lb... 198lbs. Target is still 185lbs.

BIO: 44year old male. Running all my life, but have battled to get my weight back down over the past number of years. Lost 1 stone with ART program since january, and want to loose another before the june 1st deadline. Goal is some good Triathlons over the summer with the Muckno Sprint Tri in July and the DCT olympic in August being my "A" Races. Also would love to break 20 for 5k this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 elsewhere

Haven't taken part in any of the previous ones because I just joined boards recently enough, but I'm in :)

I'm female, 18yrs old, 5ft 2 and 124lbs. My aim is to get down to 113/114 lbs by June... might be a bit ambitious but its worth a shot!
    Been running for about a year now, haven't got any races planned for the summer but hoping to do a half marathon sometime in the autumn.

Working now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm in again, lost 4 kilos on the A/R/T Weight Loss earlier in the year.

Bio, 33 year old male, 86 kilos, ex 40 a day smoker, running 2 years smoke free, no real goal race for this period. Long term goal is DCM 2012 and be close to 82kgs starting, fingers crossed.

I fixed the broken formula's as they didn't copy over correctly for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I'm going to sign up to this again.... I lost a good bit on a previous one last summer, unfortunately its went back on over the winter months so the goal is to get back to my summer weight of 77 kgs

Current: 87.4 kg
    Target: 77 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

rom wrote: »
    I fixed the broken formula's as they didn't copy over correctly for you.

Ooops, my bad.

Ooops, my bad.

Head hangs in shame;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm in for this too.

Starting Weight 110kg. (same as last time :rolleyes: )
    Target Weight 105kg.

I'm in for this too.

Starting Weight 110kg. (same as last time :rolleyes: )
    Target Weight 105kg.

I hear ya, i'm sitting around 100KG for a long time now. I really need to kick it up but changes in diet seem to have helped and i'd love to hit 95KG in this time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Taking the plunge this time round. I'm a 5 ft 4 37 yr old female. Starting weight is 143 lbs. My overall goal is to get down to my ideal marathon weight of 119-124 lbs while reducing body fat and increasing muscle mass percentage. Diet in need of a radical overhaul. Too much junk food has slowly crept into daily diet since May of last year (concides with non running period). Hoping to have shift the bulk of the excess before end of July. Berlin being my goal race this year although I'm running a few marathons before and after as my "before my I'm 40" goal is to run a 50/100 mile ultra.

Murta wrote: »
    Taking the plunge this time round. I'm a 5 ft 4 37 yr old female. Starting weight is 143 lbs. My overall goal is to get down to my ideal marathon weight of 119-124 lbs while reducing body fat and increasing muscle mass percentage. Diet in need of a radical overhaul. Too much junk food has slowly crept into daily diet since May of last year (concides with non running period). Hoping to have shift the bulk of the excess before end of July. Berlin being my goal race this year although I'm running a few marathons before and after as my "before my I'm 40" goal is to run a 50/100 mile ultra.

Thats a great point !

Just because it doesn't show on the scales doesn't mean your body size isn't changing.

Therefore you should do your measuring, legs, chest etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi Folks,

About time I tried this again.. Need something to keep me in check..

I'm a male 36 looking to get back into some sort of shape again after a forced layoff due to a bike accident. Have started a program to bring me up to race series 10 miler in the park. Plan after that is the half and if things go well and I manage to lose about 2 stone I may give DCM a go but aim this year is a sub 2hr half.

Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm back in on this one. I was delighted with the loss in the last challenge and now i hope to keep it going....even though i have 1.6lbs back on since:eek:

40yr old female, was once 15.2 st and now at 11.12st so hoping to eventually get to 10.10 but will take it slowly as I want it to be permanent and not a short term fix!!!
    I have found that if i cut the crap and increase the fruit and veg intake i can lose an average of 1-2 lb a week which is the recommended way to do it...definitely noticed the inch loss with the 10lbs last time so will measure up again and see the differences....

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

first time in this, so here it goes!
    5'10, 170lbs/ 12st 2lbs! hoping to get to 11 1/2 st, do quite a but of running and soccer, also have a fondness for drinks with the lads which leads to my biggest nemisis... curry cheese and chips!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Get in there!

Starting weight 208lbs / 94.3kg

Hope to break the 200 lb barrier and lose the Ned Kelly.

Bio: male 42, was 16.5 stone and lost stone and a half last summer just being more careful with food and booze. I have been jogging/running for just 2 months, and did a 5K in 35 mins this week. Hope to keep running as it's the best past time I have ever taken up, and it's keeping my head together at a difficult time for me work-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LivingDaDream

I'm in, first timer!!

start weight 59kgs 129llbs (ish)

aim to get to 122llbs/55.5kgs by May 23rd (holls :D)

have a sprint tri 28th April and half marathons during the summer, probably too ambitious but considering DCM

bio 19 y/o, 5 ft 7, reformed couch potato training for 4 years now! always pick up a few extra pounds over the winter when i ease off on training and diet becomes a bit rubbish goal is to get back to summer weight and fitness

anyone starting this. now this is just advise from me "who is just after eating a huge pizza (ok the first in 3 months)" myfitnesspal is great. I am not preaching saying you can do it etc. I was over 15 stone in early 2010 Now down to sub 12.6 stone and am going further. Just saying that you don't need to cut out everything bad but something like myfitnesspal for me has made me make smarter choices like drinking corona light which is like 90 cals per bottle when its 160 for most beer. The barcode scanner (which is normally the bad stuff) is great. I could have lost more weight quicker by giving up drink but smarter choices is better IMHO as I can still enjoy nice things because stopping drinking beer or eating something you like doesn't work. reducing is the key for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alanm

I'm back in too.. I've been a bit on the lazy side for the last few months so hopefully this will give me the kick I need!

Starting off at just over 13st, and hoping to get down to around 12.5 st by the end of this

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deebert

Hey Everybody,

I've been lurking around these parts for a while but have finally decided to take the plunge. So I'm female, 27 years old, 5ft10 and weigh 192lbs. I've lost 40lbs since last June, through healthy eating and exercise, mainly running. I'm struggling to stay motivated but am currently working up the courage to enter the half marathon in Cork on the June bank holiday weekend. I'd like to lose another 10lbs so any motivation or advice would be well received!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sagitt

Hi there,

I'm in as well, I've lost 9kg since January untill now (from 85 kg to 76 kg) mainly due to diet change and taking in running. I'm trying to get myself ready for a half marathon some time this summer.

I'm 40, male, 76 kg, 183 cm height, running six month now, never run seriously before, done some swimming at college times.

Hope this will me help stay focused on the target, which is 72 kg this summer and around 40 minutes for 10k in Movember Run.

Sagitt

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hi everyone, onboard as well,
    30 year old male 100kg looking to get down to 90 kg,:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Loginator

Decided to give this a go too! Long time recreational jogger but started to up my mileage and training since about last September; really enjoying things so far.

Unfortunately however, my weight has slowly been creeping up over the last couple of weeks and I'm currently at the largest I've been in years, so I've resolved to stop it right now before it goes any further!

Personally, I'm more concerned with my SIZE, as opposed to my actual WEIGHT. Ideally as long as I'm losing fat/maybe gaining some muscle if I need it, I'll feel as if I've succeeded. Hence, I'll also be posting my body stats weekly, too. Obviously though, I'm aware I do need to shed a couple of kilos if I want to take some of the pressure off my poor joints while I'm pounding the pavement :o

21 y/o female
    5'5"
    150lbs
    Measurements: 37-28.5-40

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

Hey, i think I should join this for a bit of accountability.

I decided at the end of january that I wanted to run the Dublin marathon this year. This is coming from a 15-20 a day smoker!!

The smokes have gone since 1st march and I ran the Great Ireland Run in 58:24 yesterday so all going well except for the dreaded weight gain (now at 4lbs) after quitting smoking even despite all my activities (I play tennis and do loads of gym classes and now running). It could have something to do with "oh you deserve it" after breaking any form of sweat!

My credentials are:
    31 yo female
    5ft 4
    135lbs
    35-29-40
    26.4% body fat

My goal is to get to 20% body fat or 125lbs. Am more concerned with the body fat % than weight.
    Wishing everyone the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Im going to have another go at it. Current weight 174 and target of 160.
    That would have me the lightest I have been in about 15 years.

Advertisement