Dublin CD recruitment - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-10-2011, 08:50   #46
Thepredator
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinRescuer View Post
God end my pain lol.. The cd to the emergency services is their backup... we are a valued service and known ... we represent the emergency services when out on duty and on call... simple as

You represent the organisation, you are VOLUNTEERING with not the emergency services.
Im sorry but it's that kind of attitude that often portrays the vols in a bad way with frontline staff.
Advertisement
12-10-2011, 13:16   #47
miju
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3exile View Post
Check out www.civildefence.ie (that's an official site btw) which will clarify that it used to be under the remit of the DoD (not army) but was placed under it's own board of governance for all decisions, not just "nitter natter"

I don't see why the Irish army of all organisations should be thought of being in charge of an organisation that actually does a job...
feel free to correct me here but didnt Alan Shatter announce in July that the CD was now under the Dept of Defence again and thus dissolved the old board and created a new one pretty much filled with DOD staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinRescuer View Post
God end my pain lol.. The cd to the emergency services is their backup... we are a valued service and known ... we represent the emergency services when out on duty and on call... simple as
indeed the CD as does IRC, OMAC & St Johns. While the former are statutory the latter are also mobilised just as much.

Last edited by miju; 12-10-2011 at 13:20.
12-10-2011, 13:33   #48
civdef

The old board was at the end of its term, and was being changed anyway. The current board will be in place until legislation passes to repeal the necessary parts of the Civil Defence Act (around a year apparently). I will be very surprised if the new DoD arrangements do not include some form of consultative committee with the volunteers, CDOs and external agencies like the board did.

The new board is made up of the same categories of people as previous ones, the DoD always had representation on the Board. Even with the Board in place, the DoD retained responsibilty for and oversight over CD all along.

Going by the names of the new board, some of the new DoD nominees were involved with CD as instructors in the past, so in many ways would be more suitable that some previous nominees who had no other involvement with CD.

Last edited by civdef; 12-10-2011 at 13:36.
12-10-2011, 23:12   #49
limericklad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepredator View Post
You represent the organisation, you are VOLUNTEERING with not the emergency services.
Im sorry but it's that kind of attitude that often portrays the vols in a bad way with frontline staff.
+1

Thought i'd give him a shot at digging up.....unfortunately not

ps just wondeing how often is CD in dublin 'on call representing the frontline services'. Are you referring to being on duty?
13-10-2011, 08:56   #50
Fuinseog

Quote:
Originally Posted by limericklad87 View Post
+1

Thought i'd give him a shot at digging up.....unfortunately not

ps just wondeing how often is CD in dublin 'on call representing the frontline services'. Are you referring to being on duty?
yes. some people get carried away with the whole thing. I believe Pat short parodied it with his CD sketch.
I have been on frontline duty with the emergency services doing a job, that a monkey could do. I was given orders to do one thing, while security and the guards, with whom I was directly working, were doing the opposite. apparently everyone was given a different briefing but supposed to be working together.
Advertisement
01-01-2012, 12:32   #51
Dave!

Are the CD having another recruitment drive soon?

Like so many others, I want to join the DFB when they start recruiting again, so was hoping the AFS would be good experience for that!

However if the AFS is impossible to get into then I'm open to doing other stuff.

Where do I apply?

Thanks
01-01-2012, 12:46   #52
d3exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave! View Post
Are the CD having another recruitment drive soon?

Like so many others, I want to join the DFB when they start recruiting again, so was hoping the AFS would be good experience for that!

However if the AFS is impossible to get into then I'm open to doing other stuff.

Where do I apply?

Thanks

Have a look at the website www.dublincivildefence.com and contact their headquarters when they open (Tuesday?) 01-6772699

Never heard of an AFS unit being too full to accept new members, they may try offer other units to you but if your heart and soul is looking for firefighting AFS is the right place to teach you the basics
Thanks from:
27-01-2012, 00:54   #53
d3exile

-bump-

Dublin CD are now recruiting again...

http://www.dublincivildefence.com/20...uitment-night/
04-02-2012, 09:20   #54
anyone_local

Very professional recruitment page allright. Waist deep in sh!tty floodwater whilst wearing fire kit. Ever hear of dry suits lads?
Advertisement
04-02-2012, 13:10   #55
d3exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyone_local View Post
Very professional recruitment page allright. Waist deep in sh!tty floodwater whilst wearing fire kit. Ever hear of dry suits lads?
That's an old photo from 2002, where the DFB and army present were also without drysuits... since then all water rescue crews and flood response units have drysuits:

As in the above picture of flooding in Sallins in 2010, Water rescue members wear orange and black typhoon or northern diver drysuits, and the other two AFS members are wearing red typhoon emergency drysuits...
Thanks from:
04-02-2012, 13:36   #56
anyone_local

Quote:
Quote:
That's an old photo from 2002, where the DFB and army present were also without drysuits... since then all water rescue crews and flood response units have drysuits:

As in the above picture of flooding in Sallins in 2010, Water rescue members wear orange and black typhoon or northern diver drysuits, and the other two AFS members are wearing red typhoon emergency drysuits...
They do realise fire helmets are not water rescue rated??
04-02-2012, 14:17   #57
d3exile

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They do realise fire helmets are not water rescue rated??
They are so long as chin straps aren't attached. That's according to the DFB Swift Water Rescue crews that qualified the DCD crews to 'Water Awareness' level, anyway... and the same opinion would be held by DCD's own SRT's as well.

Anything else???

Last edited by d3exile; 05-02-2012 at 00:08.
05-02-2012, 22:49   #58
Fuinseog

Quote:
Have a look at the website www.dublincivildefence.com and contact their headquarters when they open (Tuesday?) 01-6772699

Never heard of an AFS unit being too full to accept new members, they may try offer other units to you but if your heart and soul is looking for firefighting AFS is the right place to teach you the basics
apparently everyone wants to join the AFS to get into DFB.
03-04-2012, 16:28   #59
emmet the rover

i completed a occupational first aid course last week and hope to keep my skills fresh as well as offer them for use in a crisis situation. as well as expanding my skill set. i was looking into volintering with the civil defense. i filled in a short form asking me my email and tel number last week.

is there a backlog of applications or do they just process them on a certin time of year?

i have alot of questions about the commitments needed to be a member as i work mainly on weekends i am wondering would this rule me out? its not that i could not get the occasional one off but not every week.
09-04-2012, 22:35   #60
WillieFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuinseog View Post
are CD search and Rescue units highly trained in things like mountain rescue or in the case of a call out, just another body?
Mountain & cave rescue is handled by a separate set of voluntary organisations (see www.mountainrescue.ie).

The MR teams from time to time do work with CD, e.g Reek Sunday on Croagh Patrick.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion