Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ 1,000 bikes...

Options
  • 22-03-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭

UPDATE: Here's the link to the Google doc tracking the options. Please feel free to add/amend any details if you have anything to add or correct! As of now (27/03) I added a second tab for mountain bikes but left it blank as I don't have a clue!

LINK TO GOOGLE SPREADSHEET

I suspect this one has been done to death, so I'm wondering might it maybe be possible to somehow have one thread on people looking for road bikes around this price via cycle to work? I'm thinking of finally upgrading from hybrid to road bike now and starting to look at bikes around that price. There are loads of threads I've looked back on, but (a) the info isn't obtainable in one place together and (b) I assume models change as time goes on?

Reading through the various threads I gather I should be looking for a carbon fork, reasonable wheels and 105 or tiagra gears/brakes. Am I right in saying most bikes around that price have some combination of the above so you may as well pick based on colour or something random!? From my various googling I'm trying to build up a table of the main bikes I should be looking at.

BRAND MODEL FRAME FORK GEARS WHEELS PRICEFelt F75Corratec Dolomiti 105Trek 1.5 2012Focus Variado 3.0Viking Roubaix 2011Boardman Comp 2011/2012Giant Defy 2Lapierre Audacio 400 DB 2012
    Have I captured the main ones (on the spreadsheet) or are loads missing? I've seen people suggesting spend a bit more in other threads to get a Planet X, but I'd rather keep closer to the € 1K mark. I'm only including the F75 because it seems to be discounted on a few sites.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Cube Peloton: €990 would also be a contender. Its what i've been ridding for the last year and can't fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Are the canyon roadlites out of the equation for you?

They look the nicest I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

G rock wrote: »
    Are the canyon roadlites out of the equation for you?

They look the nicest I think
    Just bought myself a Canyon Roadlite for €999 exc delivery or pedals. Nice looking bike with full 105 and Aksiums.

There's also Rose bikes (2200 I think) for €999 which would be very similar to Canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks all for the quick replies. Hadn't considered Rose or Canyon - am I right in saying you'd have to order from the UK and couldn't see a selection of new ones in a shop first?

Am hoping to maybe update my first post with a table summarising the main features of each to help others in the same boat when they come looking. What are the main things to be considering - from what I've read it seems to be frame, fork, gears, wheels, brakes, weight - that sounds about right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Cube and KTM both do alloy framed, carbon forked bikes in that price range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Of the ones you listed I think the felt has the better spec, try taking them all for a spin and see which one fits best.

colm_gti wrote: »
    Of the ones you listed I think the felt has the better spec, try taking them all for a spin and see which one fits best.
    I probably should've guessed that the best one was going to be the priciest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Inventor

Heres the list that I started with

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-29719/

In the end I also went with the Canyon Roadlite 6. The CAAD 10 woud have been my second choice. Neither of which on on the above list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Just bought myself a Canyon Roadlite for €999 exc delivery or pedals. Nice looking bike with full 105 and Aksiums.

There's also Rose bikes (2200 I think) for €999 which would be very similar to Canyon.

From time of order, how long did it take to arrive at your door?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Inventor

De Bhál wrote: »

My one took exactly one week. I was quoted 2 weeks at the time I placed the order. The web-site gives a list of bikes and sizes that are ex-stock aswell as giving estimated delivery times on each bike/model page.

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »

I've bought it just not received it yet. Paying for it this week and I believe delivery in about 4 weeks from now, fingers crossed maybe sooner.
    g0g wrote:
    Am hoping to maybe update my first post with a table summarising the main features of each to help others in the same boat when they come looking. What are the main things to be considering - from what I've read it seems to be frame, fork, gears, wheels, brakes, weight - that sounds about right?

All you need is: Make & Model, Frame, fork, gears, wheels.

You also won't see Rose or Canyon in shops because you buy them online. By doing this you get more for your money than your LBS but it also means you don't get to see them first, unless a nice boardsie has one and lets you have a test spin some day.

Inventor wrote: »
    My one took exactly one week. I was quoted 2 weeks at the time I placed the order. The web-site gives a list of bikes and sizes that are ex-stock aswell as giving estimated delivery times on each bike/model page.

That bodes well for my order due in week 17. We're currently in week 12 :(. I've gone for the black and yellow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

The Specialized allez elite with 10 speed tiagra isn't on the list either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Kav0777 wrote: »

I know a chap with one of these he's used for no more than 100km, as he is afraid to lock it up outside work and doesn't have the time to take it for weekend spins, I'm sure he could be persuaded to part with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

I am just about to buy this bike on Monday. Do you have one? If So how do you rate it

Thanks for the input, and based on whatever replies I get today I'll update my first post to list them all over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

No off thread/off topic dealing. If anyone wants to buy/sell please do so on the advert subforum.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I am just about to buy this bike on Monday. Do you have one? If So how do you rate it

I got an allez 24 as my first bike a couple of years ago, and I loved it. Having said that, at the same time a friend got a similar spec'd cube (ariel i think) and that was a good bike too.
    Thanks for the input, and based on whatever replies I get today I'll update my first post to list them all over the weekend.

You could also have a look at ribble, i've seen a couple of people in the club use them as a winter bike and you can change the set up on them to pick and choose what groupset, wheels etc you want.

Updated the list there a bit now, although some of the suggestions are more like € 1,200 and I'm trying to keep around the € 1K level for the purpose of the exercise. Anyone know what symbol you're meant to use as a separator to insert a table? I've edited the first post but can't remember how to put a break between columns. Do you just paste a table direct from Excel and put the TABLE format option at the top and bottom of it?

Was talking to someone last night who reckoned the Canyon Roadlite 6.0 was a no-brainer at that price level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Just a suggestion, you could use make a well laid out google doc table that anyone on the thread can edit with their suggestions... I know nothing about bikes hence this post :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

g0g wrote: »
    Rose Pro 2200 - £ 849 (excl delivery)

I changed the currency and got €999 (excl delivery) http://www.roseversand.com/article/rose-pro-2200-compact/aid:557802

Note-Delivery time 5 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ktm strada 1000 is a lovely looking bike, mix of tiagra and 105 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ck101

May I suggest you take a trip to Planet X Athlone.
    The Pro Carbon with Force is 1299. They may throw in a set of pedals with this.
    A friend is buying one next week and he has looked around a lot.

May I also suggest this..keep an eye on Adverts.ie, Gumtree, boards etc and look for an Aluminum bike with 105, Ultegra or SRAM Rival with low mileage in any size. There are loads out there (maybe not Ultegra but they do come up) selling for €500 - €600

You only need the kit, group etc from this bike. Then buy a Ridley Carbon Frame circa 800 or the Planet X Carbon Pro (€450) or RT 57 Carbon at €750.

Then sell the frame of the donor bike at €100-150 and you will have a good carbon bike with a decent group for circa 1K / 1.25k. Bikes such as this list for 2K.

Trying to update my original post with link to this spreadsheet but it won't let me! Can you not edit your posts after a couple of days or something?

Anyway here's a link to the start-off spreadsheet. Feel free to edit and correct any mistakes I made or update with better prices and other models! I put in a worksheet for mountain bikes which could be added but left it blank as I know nothing about them!

Are there features I have listed that don't matter at all? Have I missed any other decent brands, or possibly other models from the same brands?

LINK TO GOOGLE SPREADSHEET

Is my friend right that the Canyon gives the best combination of frame, equipment and overall weight for that price?

Thanks for the continued replies and hopefully this sheet might be of use to others once finished! I did see other articles online but they were sterling prices and looking at £ 1,000 not € 1,000.

A few more added onto this yesterday so the list continues to grow of options! Think I'm still gonna take the plunge on this Canyon - hope I'm not mad doing so, they seem popular enough on here!

Random question, when you buy another bike do you normally move the Garmin cadence thingy across or buy a new one? I see I can get magnets for a tenner so I'd just have to move the big psrt over and back and that'd be it.

Another random question - is there anything "wrong" with using mountain bike pedals (M520) on a road bike if I'm used to that type already?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ck101

Was in Cyclesuperstore this afternoon, they have 2 Ridley Orion Carbon Frames reduced to 499 from 999 incl forks and headset.

One problem (for me) they are both medium or 54cm.

As I said in my earlier post if you could find a good secondhand with a decent group for 500 this could get you out on a 2k bike for less than a grand.

ck101 wrote: »
    Was in Cyclesuperstore this afternoon, they have 2 Ridley Orion Carbon Frames reduced to 499 from 999 incl forks and headset.

One problem (for me) they are both medium or 54cm.

As I said in my earlier post if you could find a good secondhand with a decent group for 500 this could get you out on a 2k bike for less than a grand.
    Thanks yeah appreciate the suggestion on building it up, but in this case I'm focused on CTW as the end result will be a € 1K bike only costing about € 500 instead! Your option would end up costing € 1K out of pocket as it wouldn't involve buying a full bike (and qualifying for the scheme).

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Great thread!

Looking for a 1k bike myself. To those who bought a Canyon do they recognise the Irish Bike to work scheme?

markyboy wrote: »
    Great thread!

Looking for a 1k bike myself. To those who bought a Canyon do they recognise the Irish Bike to work scheme?
    It's not about weather they recognise the Irish Bike to Work it's about your employer recognising Canyon as a supplier.

• Advertisement

markyboy wrote: »
    Great thread!

I just enquired with them day before yesterday and got a reply yesterday. Basically if you go through the process of ordering on their site then on the final page you can select payment method - if you choose "Pre Payment" (or something like that) then they'll actually issue you with a soft-copy invoice to your email address. I think this is sufficient for an employer assuming they're happy to deal with Canyon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement